Re: Debian Lenny : update to games - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Debian Lenny : update to games - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote: > Do a update now! There's a new version of xmoto in the repositories! > > Such wonderful changes include: > > ,---- >| X-Moto 0.4.2 2008-03-18 >| ----------------------- >| * ...

  1. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Do a update now! There's a new version of xmoto in the repositories!
    >
    > Such wonderful changes include:
    >
    > ,----
    >| X-Moto 0.4.2 2008-03-18
    >| -----------------------
    >| * several rooms possible in configuration
    >| * option to remove levels not suitable for children
    >| * man page is no more gunzipped
    >| * AddPenaltyTime(), PlaySound(), PlayMusic(), StopMusic(), AddForceToPlayer(), SetCameraRotationSpeed() script functions (patches by gaivota)
    >| * ctrl + down/up in replays to adjust speed
    >| * --cleanNoWWWLevels to clean levels which are no longer available on the website (move them into ~/.xmoto/Trash)
    >| * biker interact with world when dead
    >| * fix layers while autozoom
    >| * major string printing speedup
    >| * some other minor modifications
    >| * dynamic camera while playing
    > `----
    >
    > The question is : why?
    >
    > Screen shots here:
    >
    > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    >
    > Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    >
    > Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    >
    > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    Go Linux!
    You go girl!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    > as release a game that looks like something from 1985...
    >
    > Go Linux!
    > You go girl!!

    Yeah, and like, I'm all annoyed at the time wasted writing the
    latest version of Halo instead of fixing all the problms in Vista.
    Oh wait, those were different groups of programmers with different
    goals... what were we talking about again?

    Thad
    all the ingredients on the label.

  3. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    > > Screen shots here:
    > >
    > > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    > >
    > > Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    > >
    > > Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    > >
    > > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    > I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    > as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.

    Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:

    Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?

    Reading the level design page here:

    leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >> > Screen shots here:
    >> >
    >> > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    >> >
    >> > Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    >> >
    >> > Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    >> >
    >> > http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    >> I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    >> as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    > Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    > about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    > simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    > realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.
    >
    > Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:
    >

    > Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?
    >
    > Reading the level design page here:
    >

    > leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    > good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    > right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    I would hazard a guess you are not a gamer. The "retro look" is simply
    because it's a crap game Tim. There is nothing "retro" about it.

    --
    I've always wanted to have a web site with a big picture of a carrot on it

  5. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:11:33 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:43:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>> Screen shots here:
    >>>
    >>> http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/inde...le=Screenshots
    >>>
    >>> Honestly, you couldn't make it up.
    >>>
    >>> Just what is he looking at in the top of that ice cream cone?
    >>>
    >>> http://wiki.xmoto.tuxfamily.org/imag...enshot0020.png

    >> I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    >> as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    > Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    > about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    > simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    > realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.
    >
    > Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:
    >

    > Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?
    >
    > Reading the level design page here:
    >

    > leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    > good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    > right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    Actually I *prefer* the older type games like Tetris, Pacman, Duke Nukem
    etc.

    Why, because you can learn how to play them in 2 minutes or less.
    I don't want to have to study a game in order to play it and have fun, like
    say Halo.
    They are also deceptively addictive and fun at the same time.

    However, I don't believe the authors of xmoto are going for the retro look
    on purpose.
    It's just the what they have to offer.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    On 2008-03-31, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:11:33 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1t5xr38b6xtm3$.oz3yszznzxrh.dlg@40tude.net>,
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> I guess fixing all the lockups people seem to be having is not as important
    >>> as release a game that looks like something from 1985...

    >> Have either of you *played* that game? The criticism seems to all be
    >> about the graphics, but many gamers *like* the retro look, especially on
    >> simple games. Just because the technology exists to make super
    >> realistic graphics in games doesn't mean we always should.
    >>
    >> Here's a super-realistic Mario, for example:
    >>

    >> Would you really prefer that to SNES Mario?
    >>
    >> Reading the level design page here:
    >>

    >> leads me to believe that the authors of X-Moto in fact do understand
    >> good game design, and very likely understand when the retro look is the
    >> right way to go, and made the correct decision as far as graphics go.

    > Actually I *prefer* the older type games like Tetris, Pacman, Duke Nukem
    > etc.
    >
    > Why, because you can learn how to play them in 2 minutes or less.
    > I don't want to have to study a game in order to play it and have fun, like
    > say Halo.
    > They are also deceptively addictive and fun at the same time.
    >
    > However, I don't believe the authors of xmoto are going for the retro look
    > on purpose.
    > It's just the what they have to offer.

    I have a version of this game on my Palm TX with similarly rudimentary graphics
    and can attest that they don't detract from the game at all. The fun is found
    in the natural-feeling physics applied to the frame of the bicycle and in the
    imaginative level design. I'd not heard of this linux version and will definitely
    be trying it.
    I've just installed it with the command:
    sudo apt-get install xmoto

    --
    -Toby

  7. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I would hazard a guess you are not a gamer. The "retro look" is simply
    > because it's a crap game Tim. There is nothing "retro" about it.

    Anyone know of a port of "Halls of the things"?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  8. Re: Debian Lenny : update to games

    On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:00:01 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:

    > I have a version of this game on my Palm TX with similarly rudimentary
    > graphics and can attest that they don't detract from the game at all.
    > The fun is found in the natural-feeling physics applied to the frame of
    > the bicycle and in the imaginative level design. I'd not heard of this
    > linux version and will definitely be trying it.
    > I've just installed it with the command: sudo apt-get install xmoto

    Heck, I love text adventures. My first computer game ever was Zork on a
    commodore 64. Hours and hours wasted on addictive fun. No graphics
    required.

    void

+ Reply to Thread