Network - samba share not working on Windows - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Network - samba share not working on Windows - Ubuntu ; Hi, so I set up Samba to share directories from an Ubuntu computer to a Windows computer on my local LAN. I could share the home folder no problem, but I can't access the external USB drive (the USB drive ...

  1. Network - samba share not working on Windows

    Hi,

    so I set up Samba to share directories from an Ubuntu computer to a
    Windows computer on my local LAN. I could share the home folder no
    problem, but I can't access the external USB drive (the USB drive is on
    the Ubuntu computer, but Windows says it is "not accessible" and that it
    is probably a permissions issue). Some Googling points to FSTAB, but my
    USB drive isn't listed there. Is there somewhere else where I can edit
    the permissions of the USB drive?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Network - samba share not working on Windows

    edgy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > so I set up Samba to share directories from an Ubuntu computer to a
    > Windows computer on my local LAN. I could share the home folder no
    > problem, but I can't access the external USB drive (the USB drive is on
    > the Ubuntu computer, but Windows says it is "not accessible" and that it
    > is probably a permissions issue). Some Googling points to FSTAB, but my
    > USB drive isn't listed there. Is there somewhere else where I can edit
    > the permissions of the USB drive?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Depends of the security type you have set for samba. Personally I use
    'user' and add a 'valid user =' to each share in the smb.conf file. You
    will also need to create a samba password for your windows username.
    (smbpasswd username)

  3. Re: Network - samba share not working on Windows

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > edgy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> so I set up Samba to share directories from an Ubuntu computer to a
    >> Windows computer on my local LAN. I could share the home folder no
    >> problem, but I can't access the external USB drive (the USB drive is on
    >> the Ubuntu computer, but Windows says it is "not accessible" and that it
    >> is probably a permissions issue). Some Googling points to FSTAB, but my
    >> USB drive isn't listed there. Is there somewhere else where I can edit
    >> the permissions of the USB drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Depends of the security type you have set for samba. Personally I use
    > 'user' and add a 'valid user =' to each share in the smb.conf file. You
    > will also need to create a samba password for your windows username.
    > (smbpasswd username)

    Hi Ian,

    thanks for that. I can see that being a problem, but I haven't even
    gotten that far yet. Through Samba I have allowed guest accounts, and
    have the exact same settings for two shares. However, the USB drive is
    still "not accessible". Perhaps I mistitled my post - I think this is
    not a SAMBA issue at all.

  4. Re: Network - samba share not working on Windows

    edgy wrote:

    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> edgy wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> so I set up Samba to share directories from an Ubuntu computer to a
    >>> Windows computer on my local LAN. I could share the home folder no
    >>> problem, but I can't access the external USB drive (the USB drive is on
    >>> the Ubuntu computer, but Windows says it is "not accessible" and that it
    >>> is probably a permissions issue). Some Googling points to FSTAB, but my
    >>> USB drive isn't listed there. Is there somewhere else where I can edit
    >>> the permissions of the USB drive?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Depends of the security type you have set for samba. Personally I use
    >> 'user' and add a 'valid user =' to each share in the smb.conf file. You
    >> will also need to create a samba password for your windows username.
    >> (smbpasswd username)

    > Hi Ian,
    >
    > thanks for that. I can see that being a problem, but I haven't even
    > gotten that far yet. Through Samba I have allowed guest accounts, and
    > have the exact same settings for two shares. However, the USB drive is
    > still "not accessible". Perhaps I mistitled my post - I think this is
    > not a SAMBA issue at all.

    Have you tried sharing the mount point for the USB drive?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    alt.os.linux.ubuntu - where the lunatic Hadron is a "Linux advocate"

  5. Re: Network - samba share not working on Windows

    edgy wrote:
    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> edgy wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> so I set up Samba to share directories from an Ubuntu computer to a
    >>> Windows computer on my local LAN. I could share the home folder no
    >>> problem, but I can't access the external USB drive (the USB drive is on
    >>> the Ubuntu computer, but Windows says it is "not accessible" and that it
    >>> is probably a permissions issue). Some Googling points to FSTAB, but my
    >>> USB drive isn't listed there. Is there somewhere else where I can edit
    >>> the permissions of the USB drive?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Depends of the security type you have set for samba. Personally I use
    >> 'user' and add a 'valid user =' to each share in the smb.conf file. You
    >> will also need to create a samba password for your windows username.
    >> (smbpasswd username)

    > Hi Ian,
    >
    > thanks for that. I can see that being a problem, but I haven't even
    > gotten that far yet. Through Samba I have allowed guest accounts, and
    > have the exact same settings for two shares. However, the USB drive is
    > still "not accessible". Perhaps I mistitled my post - I think this is
    > not a SAMBA issue at all.

    This is an extract from my samba.conf file for an external usb disk (it
    shares it a 'ubuntu1') Hope this helps.

    [ubuntu1]
    path = /media/ubuntu1
    comment = First USB disk