Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look. - Ubuntu ; "Canuck57" wrote in message news:rjRHj.139623$pM4.132386@pd7urf1no... > OpenOffice is safer, as even saves in PDF without the need to purchase > Adobe. More people have viewed and vetted the code too. More bucks in > your pocket. M$ office saves in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76

  1. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    "Canuck57" wrote in message

    > OpenOffice is safer, as even saves in PDF without the need to purchase
    > Adobe. More people have viewed and vetted the code too. More bucks in
    > your pocket.

    M$ office saves in pdf without having to buy Adobe.. where did you dream
    that one up from?

  2. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:04:10 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >

    >> OpenOffice is safer, as even saves in PDF without the need to purchase
    >> Adobe. More people have viewed and vetted the code too. More bucks in
    >> your pocket.

    > M$ office saves in pdf without having to buy Adobe.. where did you dream
    > that one up from?

    Canuck57 obviously has not earned his Linux advocates secret decoder ring
    yet.
    He will get better at FUD as he gains more experience.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:03:50 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:52:07 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> It's all about standards.

    >> Yep, and that is why ODF is winning over MOOXML. Microsoft isn't
    >> standard in squat, all of Microsoft is proprietary, closed etc.
    >>
    >>> Do you think an accountant is going to take a chance using your
    >>> Gnucash files?

    >> Why not? He can even audit the code. It isn't like Excel libraries
    >> haven't had issues with math.
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?

    command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9039058

    > Notice the switch to Windows......
    > A classic Linux advocate technique.

    It's called, why is OK for Windows software to have bugs and not OSS?

    > As for the source code, that's nice... Who cares?

    I do.

    > Only a programmer can read it anyway.

    So what?

    >>> Even if his program can read them, why would he put himself in a
    >>> potentially legally troubling situation like that?

    >> Doubtful and has never happened.

    > How do you know?
    > And why take a chance?
    > Why not use what everyone else is using?

    Why use what everyone else is using?

    > Why be an oddball?

    Why not be different?

    > Why be the square peg when every hole is round? For what?

    Why not?

    > The security of knowing it *might* work?
    >
    > I don't think so.
    >

    >>> Do you think a lawyer is going to take a chance with OpenOffice
    >>> importing Microsoft Word documents EXACTLY?

    >> That hasn't been much of a problem for 4 years or so.

    > Sure it is.
    > OpenOffice even has problems with simple documents. And again why take
    > the chance?

    Do you think a lawyer is going to take a chance with different versions
    of MS Word importing Microsoft Word documents EXACTLY?

    >> Or do you mean like back doors and easter eggs?
    >>
    >> http://www.eeggs.com/tree/558.html

    > Who cares?
    >
    > I don't care about weird comments and stuff in the kernel source either.
    >

    >> OpenOffice is safer, as even saves in PDF without the need to purchase
    >> Adobe. More people have viewed and vetted the code too. More bucks in
    >> your pocket.

    > Not when everyone else is using MS Office it isn't *safer*.

    Yeah, it is.

    > Can you guarantee me that my documents will transfer perfectly to
    > Openoffice and back again?
    > If not, don't bother asking me to use Open Office.

    They will if you are using OO.o. Can you guarantee MS Office documents
    will transfer between versions and back again?

    >>> When every single comma, period and so forth can make a big difference
    >>> in the interpretation of the document do you think a law office would
    >>> take a chance on Open Office?

    >> More reason to use OpenOffice.

    > Not when everyone else using MSOffice.

    Why not?

    >>> They would have to be crazy...
    >>> For $300 or less they can have the real macoy, MS Office. Why go with
    >>> a copycat?

    >> MS Office isn't the real McCoy ether, others were long before it. We
    >> survived changing to Word, we will survive changing from word.

    > I've been hearing that one for at least 10 years.
    >
    > Is this year, 2008 the year of Linux?

    He didn't say ti was the year of Linux. He said we survived changing to
    Word, we will survive changing from word.

    >> In my area, I can get a discount, $329 for Office 2007 Pro OEM. They
    >> didn't list Visio but I hear it is pricy. So I use OpenOffice and Dia
    >> and spend the $329 on beer.

    > Good for you.
    >
    >> Times evolve. But some sticks in the mud do not.

    > Tell me about it.
    >
    > Linux has been sitting at 0.6 percent of the desktop market for years
    > despite being free.

    Herd mentality and network effects. Hard to crack.

    > Open Office hasn't even put a dent in MSOffice despite being free.
    >
    > So what's wrong with these sticks in the mud that they can't gain market
    > share when they are free and the competition is expensive?

    Herd mentality and network effects. Hard to crack.

    Still, WalMart and Dell have some Windows machines with OO.o bundled.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:01:13 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    >
    > 8<
    >
    >> I have over 20 Japanese CD's and over 10 DVDs (which will not play
    >> under Vista due to region coding and there is no 3rd party solution
    >> currently to circumvent this for Vista and due to Vista's crap there
    >> may never be I suspect).
    >>
    >> So yes, I am extremely sure. XP doesn't have the problem with the DVDs,
    >> 3rd party solutions exist to circumvent the region coding. However, it
    >> also can't handle my music collection. YES I have tried under both
    >> vista *and* xp.

    > You haven't tried very hard.
    > I just loaded the same solution I was using on XP, no problems. DVD43.

    Haven't come across that one yet. Thanks for the info though...it's about
    a year and 3 months too late. =)

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:04:10 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >

    >> OpenOffice is safer, as even saves in PDF without the need to purchase
    >> Adobe. More people have viewed and vetted the code too. More bucks in
    >> your pocket.

    > M$ office saves in pdf without having to buy Adobe.. where did you dream
    > that one up from?

    He said OpenOffice saves in PDF without having to buy Adobe, not MS
    Office.

    Which actually, is very correct.

    "Export to PDF" is right here in my OO file menu.

    Of course, I also do have global PDF printing support available to any
    application.

    So you see, I don't need to worry about compatibility issues when sending
    documents to someone else. I send a PDF.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  6. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:04:10 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "Canuck57" wrote in message
    >>

    >>> OpenOffice is safer, as even saves in PDF without the need to purchase
    >>> Adobe. More people have viewed and vetted the code too. More bucks in
    >>> your pocket.

    >> M$ office saves in pdf without having to buy Adobe.. where did you dream
    >> that one up from?

    > He said OpenOffice saves in PDF without having to buy Adobe, not MS
    > Office.

    Err, yes. Indicating what? Yes .... thats right. That its not possible
    in Office. When it is.

    > Which actually, is very correct.
    >
    > "Export to PDF" is right here in my OO file menu.
    >
    > Of course, I also do have global PDF printing support available to any
    > application.
    >
    > So you see, I don't need to worry about compatibility issues when sending
    > documents to someone else. I send a PDF.

    All of which can be done from Office for free too.

    Your point is?

    --
    XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
    over the advocacy newsgroups.

  7. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    Hadron wrote:
> [...]

    > a justified reason to dispute its importance.
    >
    >> Now how about accounting?
    >>
    >> Sure, there is Quickbooks and the people I know in Accounting love some
    >> features about it. I also hear them curse and absolutely hate some other
    >> things about it. So it's got it's good and bad parts.

    > No news there.
    >
    >> But what about home users? Personally, I just use Gnucash and call it a
    >> day. I can enter all my expenses and bills and categorize things the way
    >> I want. And, it's got more graphs and reports to show with than I even
    >> know what they all mean. About the only report I give a crap about is the
    >> expense barchart so I can see where my expenses are and what may be worth
    >> looking at for improvement....So even if this program doesn't have all
    >> the features Quickbooks has, it already has more than I'll ever
    >> need...

    > For home use, maybe fine. Does you local tax office except it though?
    > Mine doesn't.
    >
    >> Office?
    >>
    >> Sure, Ms Office has some neat features. But let's be realistic....who
    >> needs a $300-$400 office package in order to write a letter to
    >> grandma?

    > Huh? What are you waffling on about? O paid significantly less than that
    > and used word/excel for all sorts of things same as I now do with the
    > inferior OO equivalents.
    >
    >> Point that I'm trying to get across is, while all these high end packages
    >> may have some neat features that surely there are people out there,
    >> especially in the business world and maybe even on occasion in the home
    >> user world, who wouldn't want to or can't live without....for the masses
    >> at home, in my opinion, they are beyond overkill.

    > I tend to agree in some cases.
    >
    >> And so far, I've always been shown to be correct on that when introducing
    >> average people with little to know technical knowledge of any kind to
    >> Linux. It's those people, the people many windows advocates would claim
    >> could never handle linux because it's too complicated, that I've seen to
    >> best with it and none of them would want to return to windows.

    > Unless they wanted proper connectivity with their PDA, their mobile or
    > wanted to play the latest games. I agree.
    >
    >> In some cases, they've even come to me and told me how they've had
    >> relatives switch away from windows based on their recommendation,
    >> completely uninfluenced and unassisted by me. Gee, can't be that
    >> complicated after all I suppose?

    > I wouldn't say its necessarily complicated. I would say that not enough
    > "new gadgets" have decent Linux support though. The wireless scene is
    > still a mess IMO. And the video card support can still be hairy unless
    > you use a "non conforming to ideology" release like Ubuntu.
    >
    > Who here syncs their phone on Linux? I worked out my own way and posted
    > it here with ivman. (Oh I know I dont really use linux according to the
    > COLA morons). But things like that screw up people thinking of moving.

    You are both right to an extent. Yes there are quite a few good Windows
    based products. Yes Linux has a ways to go. But Linux is trying where as
    most windows based products with MS in the lead are now only trying to
    protect their bottom line.
    There are many things in Ubuntu that (to me) are easier to figure out
    how to use and yes faster. I know Hadron you don't agree.
    My second son now works for a credit reporting agency. One of the largest.
    They use both Windows and Linux. Primarily Open Office as far as Linux.
    They also have MS office 2003 and 2007 in use. Talk about problems. He
    always complained about OO as he only used MS Office before. So we
    talked. He admitted that he had the same interoperability between Office
    2007 and 2003 as he had between 2007 and OO. So that office is stupid.
    Run one or the other not both. But it is MS who is cutting their own
    throat. They want the problems between 2003 and 2007 so more will pay
    for update.
    I gave him some pointers on speeding up OO. waiting to see what his
    answer is.
    Open source is trying to be more compatible with every one where as MS
    and cronies is only tgr=ying to keep a moving target.
    caver1

  8. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    caver1 writes:

> [...]

    >> I wouldn't say its necessarily complicated. I would say that not enough
    >> "new gadgets" have decent Linux support though. The wireless scene is
    >> still a mess IMO. And the video card support can still be hairy unless
    >> you use a "non conforming to ideology" release like Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Who here syncs their phone on Linux? I worked out my own way and posted
    >> it here with ivman. (Oh I know I dont really use linux according to the
    >> COLA morons). But things like that screw up people thinking of moving.
    >>

    > You are both right to an extent. Yes there are quite a few good
    > Windows based products. Yes Linux has a ways to go. But Linux is
    > trying where as most windows based products with MS in the lead are
    > now only trying to protect their bottom line.
    > There are many things in Ubuntu that (to me) are easier to figure out
    > how to use and yes faster. I know Hadron you don't agree.

    Incorrect. I do agree. There are many "pluses" for Linux. But not enough
    to make it worthwhile for most people who already use Windows.

    --
    any facts posited and opposes any conclusions reached in this message.

    -- Seen in the headers of a mail from Branden Robinson

  9. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    Snit wrote:
    > "Hadron" stated in post
    > fsoca1$nt5$1@registered.motzarella.org on 3/30/08 8:40 AM:
    >
    >>> Other than graphics artists and related people, who actually legally and
    >>> legitimately owns and uses Photoshop? What percentage of people is there
    >>> that actually can use Photoshop to it's fullest extend? I know I sure
    >>> can't. I'm lucky if I can manage to draw a straight line.
    >>>
    >>> There is plenty of software in existence that can meet the needs of the
    >>> average person. The biggest thing that Photoshop simply has going for
    >>> itself is the name.

    >> What utter nonsense. There are hundreds of thousand professional artists
    >> who use it. Your, and mine, ignorance of its usage should not be used as
    >> a justified reason to dispute its importance.

    > I certainly am not primarily an image editing professional but I know I use
    > a number of features of Photoshop that are simply not available in Gimp or
    > other OSS tools (that I know of). Just some of those features:
    >
    > * adjustment layers
    > * smart layers
    > * non-destructive "smart" filters
    > * better selection tools, refinement of edges, etc.
    > * Image warp
    > * Layer alignment and blending tools
    > * layer sets
    > * vanishing point
    > * vector based layers with effects
    > * liquefy
    > * clipping groups
    > * web slices
    > * text handling: kerning, baseline shift, etc.
    > * snapshots in undo history
    > * history brush
    > * free transform
    > * text blending (drop shadow, etc.)
    > * simple automation recording
    >
    > I could be wrong on some of those (I have not used Gimp much)... but from
    > what I recall Gimp lacks them all.
    >
    >>> Now how about accounting?
    >>>
    >>> Sure, there is Quickbooks and the people I know in Accounting love some
    >>> features about it. I also hear them curse and absolutely hate some other
    >>> things about it. So it's got it's good and bad parts.

    >> No news there.

    > I used to work for Intuit supporting Quickbooks little brother, Quicken. It
    > is - or was - a mess of a program. If nothing else the UI was horrid and the
    > file groups that it used were prone to corruption.

    The accounts that we use don't like Quicken or Quikbooks after 2002.
    They tell all their clients not to upgrade.
    caver1

  10. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    rick wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:31:16 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> But what about home users? Personally, I just use Gnucash and call it a
    >> day. I can enter all my expenses and bills and categorize things the way
    >> I want. And, it's got more graphs and reports to show with than I even
    >> know what they all mean. About the only report I give a crap about is
    >> the expense barchart so I can see where my expenses are and what may be
    >> worth looking at for improvement....So even if this program doesn't have
    >> all the features Quickbooks has, it already has more than I'll ever
    >> need...

    > A turbotax port would be nice, especially for us sole proprietors who are
    > trying to run the biz as economically as possible.

    If you like Linux run I run quicken 2003 Premier Home and Business
    through wine.(Hardy Heron 64bit) Works great. Yes I bought it.
    caver1

  11. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    nospam wrote:
    > Ignoramus10476 wrote:
    >> I used fedora for years and switched to Ubuntu. It is very well put
    >> together and works much more smoothly than Fedora. It does have some
    >> real benefits that accrue to users like me.

    > I, too, agree that Ubuntu is more polished than the rest of the Linux
    > distributions, but until big application makers such as Adobe and others
    > support it with their first class applications, Linux is nothing,
    > unfortunately

    I started with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and moved to 7.10. Quite a difference for
    the better. I have tried Knoppix for the KDE interface and think KDE has
    some growing up to do. I would like Ubuntu to put KDE on a separate
    track with its own repositories. I like Gnome and the Debian system for
    maintenance. I think XP is the best OS that $MS has produced to date and
    I still use it regularly but Ubuntu has become my favorite - warts and all!

    If the Linux community in general really wants to be accepted in the
    business world, they are going to have to do some collaboration in some
    areas of their development. I recently built a new system and was using
    on board video for starters. I got Ubuntu 7.10 loaded and decided I
    needed a graphics card to go with the flat screen monitor. I installed
    an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8500 GT. Took me about a week to get the new
    Nvidia driver to load and function correctly. Nvidia was not the
    problem. 7.10 was. I eventually succeeded with the help of the Nvidia
    forums. Had to purge several packages that were already loaded before
    the new driver could function properly. A look at the 8.04 repositories
    revealed the presence of the new driver. Where does that leave 7.10
    users? **** out of luck. Just how long would it have taken the powers to
    be to have ported the new driver to the 7.10 repositories? You folks are
    going to have to learn to support what you write! Professional IT people
    will not jump on the latest release ever! This seems to be a major
    problem in the Linux community in general. Once it is solved, Linux will
    begin to be taken seriously by the business community.

    If you really want to kick some MS butt, its Ready, Aim, Fire NOT Ready,
    Fire, Aim!

    Thanks for a mighty fine product!

    Daniel

  12. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    Hadron wrote:
    > caver1 writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> What utter nonsense. There are hundreds of thousand professional artists
    >>> who use it. Your, and mine, ignorance of its usage should not be used as
    >>> a justified reason to dispute its importance.

    >>> No news there.

    >>> For home use, maybe fine. Does you local tax office except it though?
    >>> Mine doesn't.

    >>> Huh? What are you waffling on about? O paid significantly less than that
    >>> and used word/excel for all sorts of things same as I now do with the
    >>> inferior OO equivalents.

    >>> I tend to agree in some cases.

    >>> Unless they wanted proper connectivity with their PDA, their mobile or
    >>> wanted to play the latest games. I agree.

    >>> I wouldn't say its necessarily complicated. I would say that not enough
    >>> "new gadgets" have decent Linux support though. The wireless scene is
    >>> still a mess IMO. And the video card support can still be hairy unless
    >>> you use a "non conforming to ideology" release like Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Who here syncs their phone on Linux? I worked out my own way and posted
    >>> it here with ivman. (Oh I know I dont really use linux according to the
    >>> COLA morons). But things like that screw up people thinking of moving.
    >>>

    >> You are both right to an extent. Yes there are quite a few good
    >> Windows based products. Yes Linux has a ways to go. But Linux is
    >> trying where as most windows based products with MS in the lead are
    >> now only trying to protect their bottom line.
    >> There are many things in Ubuntu that (to me) are easier to figure out
    >> how to use and yes faster. I know Hadron you don't agree.

    > Incorrect. I do agree. There are many "pluses" for Linux. But not enough
    > to make it worthwhile for most people who already use Windows.

    I thought that was the reason for ubuntu's 6 month turn around. To speed
    up development to try to catch up. 3 maybe 4 years ago I tried Linux,
    gave up. It has now progressed far enough for me to use full time, and
    still going.
    caver1

  13. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    chrisv wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >>Hadron quacked:
    >>>
    >>> Because you have an agenda and makes things up. Most run just fine. And
    >>> frankly, I'm not sure about your obsession with Vist. I used XP and it
    >>> ran about 99.99% of games just fine from across the versions from the
    >>> past 10 years. Yes, I know Mark Kent announced (and I kid you not)
    >>> there is no binary compatibility across Windows versions but he is a
    >>> fool.

    >> WTF are you smoking?

    > I see "true Linux advocate" Hadron Quack is still advocating away...
    > What a POS.

    No kidding!

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  14. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    Hadron wrote:

    > caver1 writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> What utter nonsense. There are hundreds of thousand professional artists
    >>> who use it. Your, and mine, ignorance of its usage should not be used as
    >>> a justified reason to dispute its importance.

    >>> No news there.

    >>> For home use, maybe fine. Does you local tax office except it though?
    >>> Mine doesn't.

    >>> Huh? What are you waffling on about? O paid significantly less than that
    >>> and used word/excel for all sorts of things same as I now do with the
    >>> inferior OO equivalents.

    >>> I tend to agree in some cases.

    >>> Unless they wanted proper connectivity with their PDA, their mobile or
    >>> wanted to play the latest games. I agree.

    >>> I wouldn't say its necessarily complicated. I would say that not enough
    >>> "new gadgets" have decent Linux support though. The wireless scene is
    >>> still a mess IMO. And the video card support can still be hairy unless
    >>> you use a "non conforming to ideology" release like Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Who here syncs their phone on Linux? I worked out my own way and posted
    >>> it here with ivman. (Oh I know I dont really use linux according to the
    >>> COLA morons). But things like that screw up people thinking of moving.
    >>>

    >> You are both right to an extent. Yes there are quite a few good
    >> Windows based products. Yes Linux has a ways to go. But Linux is
    >> trying where as most windows based products with MS in the lead are
    >> now only trying to protect their bottom line.
    >> There are many things in Ubuntu that (to me) are easier to figure out
    >> how to use and yes faster. I know Hadron you don't agree.

    > Incorrect. I do agree. There are many "pluses" for Linux. But not enough
    > to make it worthwhile for most people who already use Windows.

    Bull****ter! Everybody who I know that is now using Ubuntu, used to use
    Windoze. They like Ubuntu better and none have ever expressed any desire to

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  15. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    "Hadron" stated in post
    fsp3dt$c83$3@registered.motzarella.org on 3/30/08 3:15 PM:

    > Stephan Rose writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:04:10 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Canuck57" wrote in message

    >>> M$ office saves in pdf without having to buy Adobe.. where did you dream
    >>> that one up from?

    >> He said OpenOffice saves in PDF without having to buy Adobe, not MS
    >> Office.

    > Err, yes. Indicating what? Yes .... thats right. That its not possible
    > in Office. When it is.
    >>
    >> Which actually, is very correct.
    >>
    >> "Export to PDF" is right here in my OO file menu.
    >>
    >> Of course, I also do have global PDF printing support available to any
    >> application.
    >>
    >> So you see, I don't need to worry about compatibility issues when sending
    >> documents to someone else. I send a PDF.

    > All of which can be done from Office for free too.
    >
    > Your point is?

    Heck, on OS X the PDF feature is built in. On Windows you need to get a
    freeware print driver. Neither Linux not Windows have the PDF Services
    that OS X has - so I suppose if PDF support is the comparison basis then OS
    X beats both Linux and Windows.

    --
    Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/f351
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  16. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:02:36 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> caver1 writes:

    >>> You are both right to an extent. Yes there are quite a few good
    >>> Windows based products. Yes Linux has a ways to go. But Linux is
    >>> trying where as most windows based products with MS in the lead are
    >>> now only trying to protect their bottom line. There are many things in
    >>> Ubuntu that (to me) are easier to figure out how to use and yes
    >>> faster. I know Hadron you don't agree.

    >> Incorrect. I do agree. There are many "pluses" for Linux. But not
    >> enough to make it worthwhile for most people who already use Windows.
    >>

    > I thought that was the reason for ubuntu's 6 month turn around. To speed
    > up development to try to catch up. 3 maybe 4 years ago I tried Linux,
    > gave up. It has now progressed far enough for me to use full time, and
    > still going.

    And ultimately, that's the only thing of any importance.

    One can argue back the Linux vs Windows thing back and forth. It's a
    pointless argument as the right answer largely depends on the user.

    However, it's difficult to argue away the rather significant improvements
    in Linux over the past few years.

    Dapper I didn't care for.

    Edgy got me started...though still with some issues.

    Fiesty was a nice improvement and it's release also coincided with
    Eclipse/CDT4.0 which finalized my ability to switch to linux. Still some
    minor issues at install time but nothing overly difficult to fix.

    Gutsy pretty much just worked. Installed smoothly and absolutely no
    driver issues or any other issues of any other kind. It just did what it
    was supposed to do.

    And Hardy, which I started using at Alpha 6 release...no problems to
    report either and this is coming from a development release. And the UI
    enhancements are very nice. I'm really enjoying the new gnome in Hardy.

    About the only thing that really is missing in my opinion is a little
    more 3rd Party software support and driver support from some of the
    manufacturers.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  17. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:45:45 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Hadron" stated in post
    > fsp3dt$c83$3@registered.motzarella.org on 3/30/08 3:15 PM:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> He said OpenOffice saves in PDF without having to buy Adobe, not MS
    >>> Office.

    >> Err, yes. Indicating what? Yes .... thats right. That its not possible
    >> in Office. When it is.
    >>>
    >>> Which actually, is very correct.
    >>>
    >>> "Export to PDF" is right here in my OO file menu.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, I also do have global PDF printing support available to any
    >>> application.
    >>>
    >>> So you see, I don't need to worry about compatibility issues when
    >>> sending documents to someone else. I send a PDF.

    >> All of which can be done from Office for free too.
    >>
    >> Your point is?

    > Heck, on OS X the PDF feature is built in. On Windows you need to get a
    > freeware print driver. Neither Linux not Windows have the PDF Services
    > that OS X has - so I suppose if PDF support is the comparison basis then
    > OS X beats both Linux and Windows.

    So I'm imagining the built-in PDF print driver that Ubuntu has then?

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

    "caver1" wrote in message

    > You are both right to an extent. Yes there are quite a few good Windows
    > based products. Yes Linux has a ways to go. But Linux is trying where as
    > most windows based products with MS in the lead are now only trying to
    > protect their bottom line.
    > There are many things in Ubuntu that (to me) are easier to figure out how
    > to use and yes faster. I know Hadron you don't agree.
    > My second son now works for a credit reporting agency. One of the largest.
    > They use both Windows and Linux. Primarily Open Office as far as Linux.
    > They also have MS office 2003 and 2007 in use. Talk about problems. He
    > always complained about OO as he only used MS Office before. So we talked.
    > He admitted that he had the same interoperability between Office 2007 and
    > 2003 as he had between 2007 and OO. So that office is stupid. Run one or
    > the other not both. But it is MS who is cutting their own throat. They
    > want the problems between 2003 and 2007 so more will pay for update.
    > I gave him some pointers on speeding up OO. waiting to see what his answer
    > is.
    > Open source is trying to be more compatible with every one where as MS and
    > cronies is only tgr=ying to keep a moving target.
    > caver1

    The best thing about ODF and MOOXML standards war, it is going to stop
    Microsoft from becoming a moving target. Which is also why they do it.
    Microsoft isn't disciplined, or is deliberately being a moving target, take
    your pick. But they are moving _not_ in the best interests of customers.

    But if your examine your OO, WinOffice2003 and 2007 issues closely, you will
    likely find most of it centers around Office 2007. Office 2007 users sends
    a doc to 2003 or OO users and the crap breaks. I suspect, intentional on MS
    part as it encourages spend to upgrade across the industry. It is a
    marketing ploy.

    However, if you are on Office 2000 or 2003, and go to OpenOffice 2.3.x or
    backwards I have had no issues. And with OO, looking forward to opening
    PDFs for read, but writing them without add ons is nice.

  19. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > So I'm imagining the built-in PDF print driver that Ubuntu has then?

    Obviously if someone as Linux savvy as Snit is, says it's not there, it
    can't possibly be there. We must all be imagining it. Of course he'll come
    back with the "paper and typewriter are one" thing -- or someone other Snit
    bull**** in response. I'm still waiting for Snit's and Hadron's new Linux
    distribution, where they get absolutely everything right.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  20. Re: How unpopular is Ubuntu Linux, just take a look.

    "Stephan Rose" stated in post
    1M6dnUZBd8pxqW3anZ2dnUVZ_urinZ2d@giganews.com on 3/30/08 5:48 PM:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:45:45 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Hadron" stated in post
    >> fsp3dt$c83$3@registered.motzarella.org on 3/30/08 3:15 PM:

    >>> Err, yes. Indicating what? Yes .... thats right. That its not possible
    >>> in Office. When it is.

    >>> All of which can be done from Office for free too.
    >>>
    >>> Your point is?

    >> Heck, on OS X the PDF feature is built in. On Windows you need to get a
    >> freeware print driver. Neither Linux not Windows have the PDF Services
    >> that OS X has - so I suppose if PDF support is the comparison basis then
    >> OS X beats both Linux and Windows.

    > So I'm imagining the built-in PDF print driver that Ubuntu has then?

    What about it?

    --
    I know how a jam jar feels...
    .... full of jam!