Multiplexing sound. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Multiplexing sound. - Ubuntu ; Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the "play" command play a wav file over the top? I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to alert me of new ...

  1. Multiplexing sound.

    Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    "play" command play a wav file over the top?

    I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    the audio device.

    Any suggestions?

    --
    revision 1.17.2.7
    date: 2001/05/31 21:32:44; author: branden; state: Exp; lines: +1 -1

  2. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron schreef:
    > Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    > "play" command play a wav file over the top?
    >
    > I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    > alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    > the audio device.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I've just tried it on my Toshiba laptop with Kubuntu and this works, a
    movie in Mplayer + a wav file in XMMS and/or the Ping! of KTeaTime.

    I initially used AlsamixerGui for sound settings.

  3. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Hadron schreef:
    >> Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    >> "play" command play a wav file over the top?
    >>
    >> I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    >> alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    >> the audio device.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > I've just tried it on my Toshiba laptop with Kubuntu and this works, a
    > movie in Mplayer + a wav file in XMMS and/or the Ping! of KTeaTime.

    Using the "play" command? What do Xmms or KTeatime use?

    > I initially used AlsamixerGui for sound settings.

    Initially? What do you use now?

    --
    and those that say: fibre cables have a minimum bend radius and
    pull tension? bah! *yank*

  4. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron schreef:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron schreef:
    >>> Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    >>> "play" command play a wav file over the top?
    >>>
    >>> I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    >>> alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    >>> the audio device.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> I've just tried it on my Toshiba laptop with Kubuntu and this works, a
    >> movie in Mplayer + a wav file in XMMS and/or the Ping! of KTeaTime.

    > Using the "play" command? What do Xmms or KTeatime use?

    No, double clicking on the media files.
    In case of TeaTime I imagine it's a wav as .mid is a bit of a challenge
    on many computers running Linux.

    >> I initially used AlsamixerGui for sound settings.

    > Initially? What do you use now?

    Initially as in right after installing the OS and apps.
    I haven't touched it in a while except for enabling a simple USB VOIP
    handset.

  5. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Hadron schreef:

    >>> I've just tried it on my Toshiba laptop with Kubuntu and this works, a
    >>> movie in Mplayer + a wav file in XMMS and/or the Ping! of KTeaTime.

    >> Using the "play" command? What do Xmms or KTeatime use?

    > No, double clicking on the media files.

    So not really applicable - any idea what default player you have setup?

    > In case of TeaTime I imagine it's a wav as .mid is a bit of a
    > challenge on many computers running Linux.

    So we dont even know its a wav, never mind which player it uses? :-;

    --
    udp - universal dropping of an pigeon

  6. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron writes:

    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron schreef:

    >>> Using the "play" command? What do Xmms or KTeatime use?

    >> No, double clicking on the media files.

    > So not really applicable - any idea what default player you have setup?
    >
    >> In case of TeaTime I imagine it's a wav as .mid is a bit of a
    >> challenge on many computers running Linux.

    > So we dont even know its a wav, never mind which player it uses? :-;

    >>> Initially? What do you use now?

    >> Initially as in right after installing the OS and apps.
    >> I haven't touched it in a while except for enabling a simple USB VOIP
    >> handset.

    Looks like I'm not alone

    I don't think 'It's better than hurling yourself into a meat grinder'
    is a good rationale for doing something.
    -- Andrew Suffield in
    <20030905221055.GA22354@doc.ic.ac.uk> on debian-devel

  7. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:50:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    > "play" command play a wav file over the top?
    >
    > I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    > alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    > the audio device.

    To handle simultaneous audio output you'll need to run a sound server
    (aRts, JACK, ESD, PulseAudio) and change your player options to route
    sound through the sound server. I'm not sure if this is possible for
    'play' (SoX) but I believe you can change the command used to play in
    gnubiff preferences.

    For example, with artsd running, you can change 'play' to 'artsplay' in
    gnubiff preferences, start mplayer with the '-ao arts' option and then
    you'll be able to hear both. To set arts as thte default audio output
    destination in mplayer, add 'ao=arts' to ~/.mplayer/config

    If you already have ESD running in Gnome, switch to esdplay in gnubiff
    preferences and use the -ao esd option for mplayer (or add 'ao=esd' to
    ~/.mplayer/config).

  8. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Snowbat writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:50:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    >> "play" command play a wav file over the top?
    >>
    >> I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    >> alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    >> the audio device.

    > To handle simultaneous audio output you'll need to run a sound server
    > (aRts, JACK, ESD, PulseAudio) and change your player options to route
    > sound through the sound server. I'm not sure if this is possible for
    > 'play' (SoX) but I believe you can change the command used to play in
    > gnubiff preferences.
    >
    > For example, with artsd running, you can change 'play' to 'artsplay' in
    > gnubiff preferences, start mplayer with the '-ao arts' option and then
    > you'll be able to hear both. To set arts as thte default audio output
    > destination in mplayer, add 'ao=arts' to ~/.mplayer/config
    >
    > If you already have ESD running in Gnome, switch to esdplay in gnubiff
    > preferences and use the -ao esd option for mplayer (or add 'ao=esd' to
    > ~/.mplayer/config).

    Thanks for advice.

    I will try it and report back. ps this also worked by running it in a
    terminal:

    gst-launch gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
    gconfaudiosink profile=chat

    I have no idea what it is or how it does it.

    --
    This is Unix we're talking about, remember. It's not supposed to be
    nice for the applications programmer.

  9. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Snowbat writes:

    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:50:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone here succesfully play a movie in mplayer and then have the
    >> "play" command play a wav file over the top?
    >>
    >> I use "gnubiff" as an imap email alert which in turn uses "play" to
    >> alert me of new email. Unfortunately "play" does nothing if mplayer has
    >> the audio device.

    > To handle simultaneous audio output you'll need to run a sound server
    > (aRts, JACK, ESD, PulseAudio) and change your player options to route
    > sound through the sound server. I'm not sure if this is possible for
    > 'play' (SoX) but I believe you can change the command used to play in
    > gnubiff preferences.
    >
    > For example, with artsd running, you can change 'play' to 'artsplay' in
    > gnubiff preferences, start mplayer with the '-ao arts' option and then
    > you'll be able to hear both. To set arts as thte default audio output
    > destination in mplayer, add 'ao=arts' to ~/.mplayer/config
    >
    > If you already have ESD running in Gnome, switch to esdplay in gnubiff
    > preferences and use the -ao esd option for mplayer (or add 'ao=esd' to
    > ~/.mplayer/config).

    You are a star!

    I did some background googling and replaced esd with pulse
    audio. Modified Amarok to use the pulseaudio plugin, change the mplayer
    to use esd (pulse is a drop in replacement) and used esdplay in gnubiff!

    All works brilliantly - thanks!

    --
    I thought you had a CS degree? And you never did a compiler course? I am
    amazed! - Hadron Quark, COLA

  10. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron schreef:

    >>> Using the "play" command? What do Xmms or KTeatime use?

    >> No, double clicking on the media files.

    > So not really applicable - any idea what default player you have setup?

    Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
    I wrote the movie was played through Mplayer and the wav with Xmms.
    Just for you I tested the same with Amarok for wav and VLC for the
    movie, simultaneous sound.

    And why would initiating a player through the default mime association
    be any different to opening the file from the player?

    >> In case of TeaTime I imagine it's a wav as .mid is a bit of a
    >> challenge on many computers running Linux.

    > So we dont even know its a wav, never mind which player it uses? :-;

    It's using artsd to /dev/dsp to play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Notify.wav.

  11. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Hadron schreef:

    >>> No, double clicking on the media files.

    >> So not really applicable - any idea what default player you have setup?

    > Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

    No. You seem not to understand the issue though. I mentioned play - your
    use of xmms was not relevant it seemed. Or?

    > I wrote the movie was played through Mplayer and the wav with Xmms.

    What output from xmms? I dont know. I told you I used play.

    > Just for you I tested the same with Amarok for wav and VLC for the
    > movie, simultaneous sound.

    You never mentioned this before but thanks for the info - but also not
    really important since it depends on what backend Amarok is using.

    > And why would initiating a player through the default mime association
    > be any different to opening the file from the player?

    This should be evident to you. It was a question of different parts
    working together :-; Your default double click/open app might be something
    different again.

    >>> In case of TeaTime I imagine it's a wav as .mid is a bit of a
    >>> challenge on many computers running Linux.

    >> So we dont even know its a wav, never mind which player it uses? :-;

    > It's using artsd to /dev/dsp to play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Notify.wav.

    I use gnome. See the other replies in the thread to see how I solved
    it. Using pulse solved the issues very nicely indeed.

    --
    modconf (0.2.37) stable unstable; urgency=medium
    [...]

  12. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron schreef:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron schreef:
    >>> So not really applicable - any idea what default player you have setup?

    >> Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

    > No. You seem not to understand the issue though. I mentioned play - your
    > use of xmms was not relevant it seemed. Or?
    >
    >> I wrote the movie was played through Mplayer and the wav with Xmms.

    > What output from xmms? I dont know. I told you I used play.
    >
    >> Just for you I tested the same with Amarok for wav and VLC for the
    >> movie, simultaneous sound.

    > You never mentioned this before but thanks for the info - but also not
    > really important since it depends on what backend Amarok is using.
    >
    >> And why would initiating a player through the default mime association
    >> be any different to opening the file from the player?

    > This should be evident to you. It was a question of different parts
    > working together :-; Your default double click/open app might be something
    > different again.

    >>> So we dont even know its a wav, never mind which player it uses? :-;

    >> It's using artsd to /dev/dsp to play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Notify.wav.

    > I use gnome. See the other replies in the thread to see how I solved
    > it. Using pulse solved the issues very nicely indeed.

    Hehe, yes I just saw the solution.
    In my case it's through artsd that the multiplexing works.

    And indeed I forgot the various players have a choice of audio and video
    back ends.

  13. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:

    > Hadron schreef:

    >>> Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

    >> No. You seem not to understand the issue though. I mentioned play - your
    >> use of xmms was not relevant it seemed. Or?
    >>
    >>> I wrote the movie was played through Mplayer and the wav with Xmms.

    >> What output from xmms? I dont know. I told you I used play.
    >>
    >>> Just for you I tested the same with Amarok for wav and VLC for the
    >>> movie, simultaneous sound.

    >> You never mentioned this before but thanks for the info - but also not
    >> really important since it depends on what backend Amarok is using.
    >>
    >>> And why would initiating a player through the default mime association
    >>> be any different to opening the file from the player?

    >> This should be evident to you. It was a question of different parts
    >> working together :-; Your default double click/open app might be something
    >> different again.

    >>> It's using artsd to /dev/dsp to play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Notify.wav.

    >> I use gnome. See the other replies in the thread to see how I solved
    >> it. Using pulse solved the issues very nicely indeed.
    >>

    > Hehe, yes I just saw the solution.
    > In my case it's through artsd that the multiplexing works.
    >
    > And indeed I forgot the various players have a choice of audio and
    > video back ends.

    No problems - I appreciate your help. We all learnt things from such
    threads - I certainly did. I had wrongly assumed that a proper sound
    server/daemon/mixer was installed and running.

    Sorry, but sound/competing sound systems make Linux a complete mess at
    times.

    Having said that, its great now its working ...

    --
    - "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
    some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for

  14. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron writes:

    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" writes:
    >
    >> Hadron schreef:

    >>> No. You seem not to understand the issue though. I mentioned play - your
    >>> use of xmms was not relevant it seemed. Or?

    >>> What output from xmms? I dont know. I told you I used play.

    >>> You never mentioned this before but thanks for the info - but also not
    >>> really important since it depends on what backend Amarok is using.

    >>> This should be evident to you. It was a question of different parts
    >>> working together :-; Your default double click/open app might be something
    >>> different again.

    >>> I use gnome. See the other replies in the thread to see how I solved
    >>> it. Using pulse solved the issues very nicely indeed.
    >>>

    >> Hehe, yes I just saw the solution.
    >> In my case it's through artsd that the multiplexing works.
    >>
    >> And indeed I forgot the various players have a choice of audio and
    >> video back ends.

    > No problems - I appreciate your help. We all learnt things from such
    > threads - I certainly did. I had wrongly assumed that a proper sound
    > server/daemon/mixer was installed and running.
    >
    > Sorry, but sound/competing sound systems make Linux a complete mess at
    > times.
    >
    > Having said that, its great now its working ...

    I spoke too soon.

    No sounds from Iceweasel/Firefox anymore.

    Aargh.

    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

  15. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron writes:

    > Hadron writes:

    >>> Hehe, yes I just saw the solution.
    >>> In my case it's through artsd that the multiplexing works.
    >>>
    >>> And indeed I forgot the various players have a choice of audio and
    >>> video back ends.

    >> No problems - I appreciate your help. We all learnt things from such
    >> threads - I certainly did. I had wrongly assumed that a proper sound
    >> server/daemon/mixer was installed and running.
    >>
    >> Sorry, but sound/competing sound systems make Linux a complete mess at
    >> times.
    >>
    >> Having said that, its great now its working ...

    > I spoke too soon.
    >
    > No sounds from Iceweasel/Firefox anymore.
    >
    > Aargh.

    And solved for Debian :

    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12497

    Then edit your /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc and change a line to look like this:

    ICEWEASEL_DSP="padsp"

  16. Re: Multiplexing sound.

    Hadron wrote:

    > Hadron writes:
    >
    >> Hadron writes:

    >>> No problems - I appreciate your help. We all learnt things from such
    >>> threads - I certainly did. I had wrongly assumed that a proper sound
    >>> server/daemon/mixer was installed and running.
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, but sound/competing sound systems make Linux a complete mess at
    >>> times.
    >>>
    >>> Having said that, its great now its working ...

    >> I spoke too soon.
    >>
    >> No sounds from Iceweasel/Firefox anymore.
    >>
    >> Aargh.

    > And solved for Debian :
    >
    > http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12497
    >
    > Then edit your /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc and change a line to look like
    > this:
    >
    > ICEWEASEL_DSP="padsp"

    Hardon, why do you even bother? Just use Windoze. It's your preferred
    platform anyways. Why all this struggling to use Linux? Are you that ****ed
    up?

    Cheers.

    --