    Anyone been successful at this? How can it be done?

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Auto-Download from Yahoo Webmail

    On 2008-03-28, 80 H wrote:
    > Having just set up my laptop with Ubuntu (Looks nice, feels kinda-good) I'm
    > looking to see if I can get Thunderbird to automatically download all the
    > email I receive from Yahoo!
    >
    > Anyone been successful at this? How can it be done?

    I do not think that Yahoo offers you an ability to retrieve mail via
    POP or IMAP. Am I mistaken?

    gmail does this however.

  3. Re: Auto-Download from Yahoo Webmail

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:20:01 -0500, Ignoramus17370 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-28, 80 H wrote:
    >> Having just set up my laptop with Ubuntu (Looks nice, feels kinda-good)
    >> I'm looking to see if I can get Thunderbird to automatically download
    >> all the email I receive from Yahoo!
    >>
    >> Anyone been successful at this? How can it be done?
    >>

    > I do not think that Yahoo offers you an ability to retrieve mail via POP
    > or IMAP. Am I mistaken?

    The standard, free yahoo webmail accounts don't allow retrieval via POP3
    or IMAP. But I believe there is a premium option that allows POP
    retrieval.

  4. Re: Auto-Download from Yahoo Webmail

    On 2008-03-28, firebrand wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:20:01 -0500, Ignoramus17370 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-03-28, 80 H wrote:
    >>> Having just set up my laptop with Ubuntu (Looks nice, feels kinda-good)
    >>> I'm looking to see if I can get Thunderbird to automatically download
    >>> all the email I receive from Yahoo!
    >>>
    >>> Anyone been successful at this? How can it be done?
    >>>

    >> I do not think that Yahoo offers you an ability to retrieve mail via POP
    >> or IMAP. Am I mistaken?

    > The standard, free yahoo webmail accounts don't allow retrieval via POP3
    > or IMAP. But I believe there is a premium option that allows POP
    > retrieval.

    I moved to gmail where I get everything for free.

  5. Re: Auto-Download from Yahoo Webmail

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:00:15 GMT, 80 H wrote:
    > Having just set up my laptop with Ubuntu (Looks nice, feels kinda-good) I'm
    > looking to see if I can get Thunderbird to automatically download all the
    > email I receive from Yahoo!
    >
    > Anyone been successful at this?

    Not me, as you have stated the request.

    > How can it be done?

    I run Mandriva linux so the steps would have to be worked out by you
    for ubuntu.

    I installed the fetchyahoo and imap package. imap package on Mandriva
    installs pop3 on my system which allows mail clients to fetch/send
    email from my linux box (wm81.home.test).

    I created a yahoo user linux account on wm81.home.test.

    The yahoo user account has a cron job which runs on the hour.
    It executes fetchyahoo to pull my_yahoo_login@yahoo.com email down
    and place it in my home.test yahoo email box.

    Now my linux yahoo account can run any mail client (thunderbird), set the
    in/outbound mail server as wm81.home.test and pickup/send email.

    I have postfix set as my Mail Transport Agent.

    Whenever postfix sees outbound email from yahoo@wm81.home.test, it converts the
    email header to indicate it came from my_yahoo_login@yahoo.com.
    Anyone replying to that sent email will cause the reply to go to
    my_yahoo_login@yahoo.com account.

    I have done the same for my web hotmail account using getlive from
    http://sourceforge.net

  6. Re: Auto-Download from Yahoo Webmail

    80 H wrote:
    > Having just set up my laptop with Ubuntu (Looks nice, feels kinda-good) I'm
    > looking to see if I can get Thunderbird to automatically download all the
    > email I receive from Yahoo!

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webm...r_email_client
    Using webmail with your email client - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

  7. Re: Auto-Download from Yahoo Webmail

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > 80 H wrote:
    >> Having just set up my laptop with Ubuntu (Looks nice, feels
    >> kinda-good) I'm looking to see if I can get Thunderbird to
    >> automatically download all the email I receive from Yahoo!

    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_webm...r_email_client
    > Using webmail with your email client - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

    Yahoo is no problem, just get the server names correct.
    Incoming POP = ' pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk ' (or .com) and the
    SMTP server is the one given by your ISP e.g. ' relay.plus.net '
    there is no security setting.
    It is easier to set up than Gmail. There is a help file on Yahoo
    website too.
    G.L.!

+ Reply to Thread