kdm will not shut down - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on kdm will not shut down - Ubuntu ; Hello, This problem, familiar to some, has cropped up again after a month or two of being dormant after a previous fix (see below) stopped working. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/38915 Basically, I have an ATI X1300 card with the fglrx driver on Gutsy. ...

  1. kdm will not shut down

    Hello,

    This problem, familiar to some, has cropped up again after a month
    or two of being dormant after a previous fix (see below) stopped working.

    Basically, I have an ATI X1300 card with the fglrx driver on Gutsy.

    This problem first cropped up 2 months ago. I googled around and found the
    above URL and used the following fix :

    "
    you've got to add the line

    TerminateServer=true

    in the [X-:*-Core] section of the kdmrc-File (/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc) - beware
    of the ':', there is a similar named section without it, too!"

    Last week, after a bunch of updates, this fix stopped working. It does not
    matter if I use kdm or kdm-kde4 or kde3 or kde4, kdm* always hangs. I am
    forced to pull the cord to shut down the machine (forget hibernation). This
    cannot be good for my luks encrypted hard disks.

    Any ideas ? It would be a pity to have to incur physical damage just
    because some software is having a brain freeze.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: kdm will not shut down

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:46:49 -0700,
    Geico Caveman wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > This problem, familiar to some, has cropped up again after
    > a month or two of being dormant after a previous fix (see
    > below) stopped working.
    >

    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/38915
    >
    > Basically, I have an ATI X1300 card with the fglrx driver
    > on Gutsy.
    >
    > This problem first cropped up 2 months ago. I googled
    > around and found the above URL and used the following fix :
    >
    > " you've got to add the line
    >
    > TerminateServer=true
    >
    > in the [X-:*-Core] section of the kdmrc-File (/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc)
    > - beware of the ':', there is a similar named section without it,
    > too!"
    >
    > Last week, after a bunch of updates, this fix stopped
    > working. It does not matter if I use kdm or kdm-kde4 or
    > kde3 or kde4, kdm* always hangs. I am forced to pull the
    > cord to shut down the machine (forget hibernation). This
    > cannot be good for my luks encrypted hard disks.
    >
    > Any ideas ? It would be a pity to have to incur physical
    > damage just because some software is having a brain freeze.

    Well, using gdm or xdm may be options. Failing that, if the machine
    hangs on "sudo shutdown now" in a terminal as well, sync your
    partitions and unmount them. For partitions which are in use, force a
    remount as readonly.

    $ sudo sync # sync disks
    $ sudo umount -a # unmount disks that are mounted automatically.
    $ sudo mount -f -o remount,ro /dev/sda5 # force remount as readonly.

    Substitute partition info as appropriate. Once the partitions are
    remounted as readonly, if you force a shutdown your filesystem will be
    in a consistent state if nothing else.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Reality isn't the way you wish things to be, nor the way they appear to
    be, but the way they actually are. - Robert J. Ringer

+ Reply to Thread