Make a network bridge persistent? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Make a network bridge persistent? - Ubuntu ; I need help again! Hope someone knows what do to here... I have done everything stated here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox Including edit the .rules file. The .rules file remains unchanged following the reboot, but the bridge br0, the tap1 interface and any ...

  1. Make a network bridge persistent?

    I need help again! Hope someone knows what do to here...

    I have done everything stated here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

    Including edit the .rules file. The .rules file remains unchanged
    following the reboot, but the bridge br0, the tap1 interface and any
    changes to eth0 are lost, and revert back to "normal", despite what is
    clearly stated:
    "~$ sudo tunctl -t tap1 -u blah
    Set 'tap1' persistent and owned by uid 1000"

    Any idea how to make these settings persistent?

    TIA

  2. Re: Make a network bridge persistent?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > I need help again! Hope someone knows what do to here...
    >
    > I have done everything stated here:
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
    >
    > Including edit the .rules file. The .rules file remains unchanged
    > following the reboot, but the bridge br0, the tap1 interface and any
    > changes to eth0 are lost, and revert back to "normal", despite what is
    > clearly stated:
    > "~$ sudo tunctl -t tap1 -u blah
    > Set 'tap1' persistent and owned by uid 1000"
    >
    > Any idea how to make these settings persistent?
    >
    > TIA

    If you are using the classic ifupdown system you can change your
    '/etc/network/interfaces' into something like:

    -----
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet manual
    up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
    up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
    down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
    down ifconfig $IFACE down

    auto tap0
    iface tap0 inet manual
    tunctl_user

    auto br0
    iface br0 inet dhcp
    bridge_ports eth0 tap0
    bridge_maxwait 0
    bridge_fd 0
    -----

    And if you are using Network Manager... I don't know.

    I have changed your 'tap1' into 'tap0'. You can change it back if you
    prefer the other number.

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental

+ Reply to Thread