Restricted drivers ?? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Restricted drivers ?? - Ubuntu ; Just d/loaded the latest Hardy Heron and cannot find the restricted driver setup for nvidia...Has it been scrapped or am I missing something ? -- Regards Ted Wager High Peak UK Using Sidux Linux...

  1. Restricted drivers ??

    --
    Regards
    Ted Wager

  2. Re: Restricted drivers ??

    twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Just d/loaded the latest Hardy Heron and cannot find the restricted
    > driver setup for nvidia...Has it been scrapped or am I missing something ?

    They've renamed it
    It can now be found at
    System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: Restricted drivers ??

    Moog wrote:
    > twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Just d/loaded the latest Hardy Heron and cannot find the restricted
    >> driver setup for nvidia...Has it been scrapped or am I missing something ?

    > They've renamed it
    > It can now be found at
    > System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

    Thanks for the reply...
    I tried that and all it tells me is that no proprietary dirvers are
    in use on this system....The old system gave a choice of ati and nvidia and
    d/loaded and installed the chosen driver also edited xorg.conf to suit..

    Regards
    Ted Wager
    Using Sidux Linux

  4. Re: Restricted drivers ??

    Ted illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Just d/loaded the latest Hardy Heron and cannot find the restricted
    >>> driver setup for nvidia...Has it been scrapped or am I missing something ?

    >> They've renamed it
    >> It can now be found at
    >> System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply...
    > I tried that and all it tells me is that no proprietary dirvers are
    > in use on this system....The old system gave a choice of ati and nvidia and
    > d/loaded and installed the chosen driver also edited xorg.conf to suit..

    You'll need to install the driver via synaptic. Then the Hardware
    Driver manager will manage it.

    All restricted drivers manager did was allow you to disable the
    driver by tick box selection.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: Restricted drivers ??

    Moog wrote in

    > Ted illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> twager illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> They've renamed it
    >>> It can now be found at
    >>> System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the reply...
    >> I tried that and all it tells me is that no proprietary
    >> dirvers are
    >> in use on this system....The old system gave a choice of ati and
    >> nvidia and d/loaded and installed the chosen driver also edited
    >> xorg.conf to suit..

    > You'll need to install the driver via synaptic. Then the Hardware
    > Driver manager will manage it.
    >
    > All restricted drivers manager did was allow you to disable the
    > driver by tick box selection.

    I am completly new to Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) I used a program I found
    called Envy

    http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    to install my Nvidia drivers.....all seems to work well. I was just
    wondering if anyone had any opinions or warnings about this program.
    Or using a program like this to install drivers?

    Dave

  6. Re: Restricted drivers ??

    Dave Cox said:
    [...]
    > I am completly new to Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) I used a program I found
    > called Envy
    >
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >
    > to install my Nvidia drivers.....all seems to work well. I was just
    > wondering if anyone had any opinions or warnings about this program.
    > Or using a program like this to install drivers?
    >
    > Dave

    Some love it, some hate it. I find it unnecessary. Everything it
    does /for/ you can be done by yourself with maybe a little help from
    the fine folks around here.
    I think it's best not to rely too much on helper apps like that one or
    automatix. They slow down your learning.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  7. Re: Restricted drivers ??

    Dave Cox illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > I am completly new to Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) I used a program I found
    > called Envy
    >
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    >
    > to install my Nvidia drivers.....all seems to work well. I was just
    > wondering if anyone had any opinions or warnings about this program.
    > Or using a program like this to install drivers?

    It's a grwat script from Alberto. It is very useful.

    However, if you want to upgrade to the next version of Ubuntu (without
    doing a fresh install) you must completely remove Envy and the Nvidia
    drivers.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"