Ubuntu & Antivirus - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu & Antivirus - Ubuntu ; I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time... I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 125

  1. Ubuntu & Antivirus

    I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...

    I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    accessing data on my machne?

    Many thanks

  2. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    80 H wrote:
    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    > PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    > does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    > accessing data on my machne?

    Yes.

    It has an antivirus in the repositories anyway.

  3. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:04:32 +0000, 80 H wrote:

    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first
    > time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP
    > wireless PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an
    > antivirus, or does the security permissions in Linux really prevent
    > third parties accessing data on my machne?
    >
    > Many thanks

    I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various distributions
    for over five years - currently have five home systems on the net
    14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

  4. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:04:32 GMT, 80 H wrote:
    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    > PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub.

    > Do I need to use an antivirus,

    Have you look at what the AV vendors supply for Linux.
    Reason there is not much AV protection for /Linux/ malware is because
    it is none running around. Any exploits found are fixed pretty fast
    and delivered next day. Now waiting for Second Tuesday of the Month.

    > or does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third
    > parties accessing data on my machne?

    Funny question there. You kinda mixed your apple and orange comparison.
    Last port scan of "out of the box install" I made of ubuntu showed all
    ports closed.

    That does "prevent third parties accessing data" from the Internet.

    As soon as you install/enable services/daemons, those ports will be
    open to attack.
    Before that point, you would want to enable the firewall.

    As for accessing your data, black hats have moved from attacking your
    system from the Internet to attacking your system from your
    applications. The main attack is serving malware via cracked Ad
    servers and cross scripting via java.

    If you were to keep up to date on all your applications as soon as
    they have updates, run Firefox with NoScript Add On and privoxy
    installed with lots of blocked ads in user.actions, you would be ahead
    of any AV Software sold for /Linux Malware/.

    I do not wait for Third Party Apps like Firefox to show up in package
    selection. I download/install from the Vendor as soon as I know of an
    update. Example, I am running Firefox 2.0.0.13.

    For intrusion detection you can install something like
    aide, ossec-hids, samhain, tripwire, snare,...

    I happen to run Mandriav Linux which installs with the firewall
    enabled and have privoxy and aide as additional package selections.

    Standard security include text file follows for my linux and Micro$oft
    friends:

    “In mid-year 2007, studies showed there were nearly 30,000 new
    infected web pages being created every day."
    http://finjan.com/Pressrelease.aspx?...Lan=1819&lan=3

    You can use privoxy to block ads and sites. http://www.privoxy.org/

    If you want to play with it, Mandriva Linux install instructions here
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6245f3f5fab041
    with a bunch of sites already added to +block in user.action.
    You may want to add your router's ip under { +block } to prevent malware
    cracks of your router while surfing.

    A more extensive action file found here
    http://www.neilvandyke.org/privoxy-rules/

    Adding NoScript Add On to firefox http://noscript.net/getit
    It's Options --> Advanced Untrusted
    lets you set a few restrictions for Untrusted Sites.
    I have all boxes checked for Untrusted sites.

    #***************** start privoxy.txt *********************************

    click up a terminal

    su - root
    urpmi --wget privoxy --auto

    You might consider getting a copy of my user.actions:
    cp /etc/privoxy/user.action /etc/privoxy/user.action_orig
    Copy my user.aciton script into /etc/privoxy/user.action from
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...6245f3f5fab041
    You may want to add your router's ip under { +block }
    in /etc/privoxy/user.action to prevent malware cracks of your router
    while surfing.

    service privoxy restart
    exit
    exit

    In firefox,
    Edit->Preference->Advanced
    Click Network tab
    Connection
    Settings button

    click Manual proxy configuration:
    HTTP Proxy: 127.0.0.1 Port: 8118
    SSL Proxy: 127.0.0.1 Port: 8118
    Be sure to clear the "No Proxy for" box
    Click OK
    Click Close

    #********************* end privoxy.txt **************************

    I recommend not using Internet Explorer or Outlook Express.
    Use third party apps. Firefox, Thunderbird for example.
    I strongly recommend Firefox with the NoScript Add On.
    Black Hats have are using a lot of Java tricks to exploit systems.

    My NoScript Option settings.
    General
    check box Left clicking on NoScript toobar button
    Radio button Base 2nd level Domains
    check box Automatically reload affected pages when permissions change
    Whitelist
    I added file:// for my local index.html file
    Plugins
    All boxes checked except Collapse blocked objects
    Appearance
    No changes by me.
    Notifications
    Everything checked except Audio Feedback
    Did set Hide After at 5 seconds
    Untrusted
    Everything checked except Hide

  5. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Cork Soaker writes:

    > 80 H wrote:
    >> I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >>
    >> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP
    >> wireless PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use
    >> an antivirus, or does the security permissions in Linux really
    >> prevent third parties accessing data on my machne?
    >>

    > Yes.
    >
    > It has an antivirus in the repositories anyway.

    Don't worry overly about a virus - do worry about using WEP. Do not use
    WEP if you have secure data. WEP is NOT secure and if your data goes over
    that wire people can get at it. Use WPA.

    Do not listen to anyone who says otherwise.

    http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3674601

    --
    "Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
    chrisv, COLA.

  6. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    80 H wrote:
    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    > PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    > does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    > accessing data on my machne?

    You are confusing access with virus infection.

    Your Linux install will be as accessible as you make it. This is a
    function of your networking configuration and file sharing settings. The
    defaults are darn tight.

    But, no matter how accessible your data is, the machine is essentially
    immune to malware infection in the conventional sense.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  7. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:04:32 +0000, 80 H wrote:
    >
    >> I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first
    >> time...
    >>
    >> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP
    >> wireless PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an
    >> antivirus, or does the security permissions in Linux really prevent
    >> third parties accessing data on my machne?
    >>
    >> Many thanks

    > I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various distributions
    > for over five years - currently have five home systems on the net
    > 14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

    I've run Linux distributions of one sort or another for 10/11 years & never used
    an AV. AV applications are only any use if you have windoze machines in your
    network, to stop them getting infected.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:04:32 GMT
    "80 H" wrote:

    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first
    > time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP
    > wireless PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an
    > antivirus, or does the security permissions in Linux really prevent
    > third parties accessing data on my machne?
    >
    > Many thanks

    No you don't. Switched from Windows 3 years ago, never had any
    maleware, av and other stuff issues.

    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  9. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-26, 80 H wrote:
    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    > PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    > does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    > accessing data on my machne?

    You do not need an antivirus if you use only Linux, but if, for
    example, you use your linux copmputer to relay mail for windows
    computers, you may want an antivirus such as clamav.

  10. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    80 H wrote:
    > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >
    > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    > PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    > does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    > accessing data on my machne?
    >
    > Many thanks

    The only thing I would concerned with is a firewall. Use firestarter it is simple.

    Walt
    Tacoma, WA

  11. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    ray wrote:

    > I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various distributions
    > for over five years - currently have five home systems on the net
    > 14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

    How do you know?

    Your statement distills down to "can't have happened because I
    never bothered to look".

  12. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Mark Warner wrote:

    > 80 H wrote:
    > > I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    > >
    > > I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    > > PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    > > does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    > > accessing data on my machne?

    > You are confusing access with virus infection.
    >
    > Your Linux install will be as accessible as you make it. This is a
    > function of your networking configuration and file sharing settings. The
    > defaults are darn tight.
    >
    > But, no matter how accessible your data is, the machine is essentially
    > immune to malware infection in the conventional sense.

    So you're saying no Linux viruses exist?

    Did you know the very first virus ever was a Unix critter? And htat
    it's still found in the wild occasionally today?

    Didn't think so.....

  13. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    William Poaster wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:04:32 +0000, 80 H wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first
    > >> time...
    > >>
    > >> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP
    > >> wireless PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an
    > >> antivirus, or does the security permissions in Linux really prevent
    > >> third parties accessing data on my machne?
    > >>
    > >> Many thanks

    > > I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various distributions
    > > for over five years - currently have five home systems on the net
    > > 14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

    > I've run Linux distributions of one sort or another for 10/11 years & never used
    > an AV. AV applications are only any use if you have windoze machines in your
    > network, to stop them getting infected.

    My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties
    like html tricks and phishing scams.

    Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?

  14. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, Anonymous wrote:

    > My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties
    > like html tricks and phishing scams.
    >
    > Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?

    IMNSHO, if someone is gullible enough to fall for a phishing scam, I
    am all for their identity being stolen...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  15. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Non scrivetemi schreef:
    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various distributions
    >> for over five years - currently have five home systems on the net
    >> 14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

    > How do you know?
    >
    > Your statement distills down to "can't have happened because I
    > never bothered to look".

    Because a lot of knowledgeable people are every day looking for that
    first Linux virus that'll survive in the wild.
    I'm sure Microsoft will have a big announcement made when it happens

    Until then the average Linux user only has to worry about phishing scams
    and the likes but they're typically caused by gullible computer users,
    not malware.

    A different matter is when you're running services that are open to the
    net like an Apache web server, especially a root kit could cause serious
    problems.
    But again, the usual AV software wouldn't know about it.

  16. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Non scrivetemi schreef:
    > Mark Warner wrote:
    >
    >> 80 H wrote:
    >>> I'm about to load and run Ubuntu (Indeed, Linux...) for the first time...
    >>>
    >>> I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM T40 and plan to use it with a WEP wireless
    >>> PCMCIA link to my current wireless hub. Do I need to use an antivirus, or
    >>> does the security permissions in Linux really prevent third parties
    >>> accessing data on my machne?

    >> You are confusing access with virus infection.
    >>
    >> Your Linux install will be as accessible as you make it. This is a
    >> function of your networking configuration and file sharing settings. The
    >> defaults are darn tight.
    >>
    >> But, no matter how accessible your data is, the machine is essentially
    >> immune to malware infection in the conventional sense.

    > So you're saying no Linux viruses exist?

    No self propagating Linux viruses exist, they cannot replicate so in
    essence they are at worst malware.

    > Did you know the very first virus ever was a Unix critter? And htat
    > it's still found in the wild occasionally today?

    Basically these few programs are all concepts that don't survive outside
    of the lab.

    > Didn't think so.....

    Why don't you enlighten us? clearly you seem to know more than any other
    source!

  17. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-03-27, Anonymous wrote:
    >>
    >> My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties
    >> like html tricks and phishing scams.
    >>
    >> Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?
    >>

    > IMNSHO, if someone is gullible enough to fall for a phishing scam, I
    > am all for their identity being stolen...

    I only have one of my email addresses which gets a little spam from time to
    time, but spamassassin removes any phishing & HTML posts along with UCE.

    --
    Mandriva 1 - 2008 - RC2 - 64bit OS.
    COLA trolls: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    [Newsgroups trimmed to aolu...]

    In <47eb7e07$0$14345$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Dirk T. Verbeek:

    [Snip...]

    > clearly you seem to know more than any other source

    Is this some wintard whining about the Morris Worm, fercryinoutloud?

    http://world.std.com/~franl/worm.html

    You'd think wintrolls could find something newer than 20 YEARS. You really
    "care" about net sanitation--start with M$ botnet spam TODAY, 'kay? And it
    doesn't include FOSS cleaning up AFTER deliberate M$ net sewage spews.

    Again: M$ better take care of the net, or the net will take care of M$.

  19. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On 2008-03-27, Anonymous wrote:
    >>
    >> My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties
    >> like html tricks and phishing scams.
    >>
    >> Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?
    >>

    > IMNSHO, if someone is gullible enough to fall for a phishing scam, I
    > am all for their identity being stolen...
    >
    > --
    > Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    > joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    > "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    > time..." - Danny, American History X

    Read the e-mail you idiot

  20. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Harold Stevens schreef:
    > [Newsgroups trimmed to aolu...]
    >
    > In <47eb7e07$0$14345$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Dirk T. Verbeek:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> clearly you seem to know more than any other source

    > Is this some wintard whining about the Morris Worm, fercryinoutloud?
    >
    > http://world.std.com/~franl/worm.html
    >
    > You'd think wintrolls could find something newer than 20 YEARS. You really
    > "care" about net sanitation--start with M$ botnet spam TODAY, 'kay? And it
    > doesn't include FOSS cleaning up AFTER deliberate M$ net sewage spews.
    >
    > Again: M$ better take care of the net, or the net will take care of M$.

    Well said

    As if there has not been any progress in the past 20 years!

    This rather unique occurrence happened well before Microsoft run
    computers were habitually connected to a network and was a lesson for
    all system admins and software developers.

    Well not quite all, when Microsoft finally found the net they seemed to
    have thought common sense re. network security did not apply to them and
    now we all suffer the consequences.

    (I just wonder why it sounded you directed this as an accusation at me?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast