Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 125 of 125

  1. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    > I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    > lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    > action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.

    Now let us clear, PHP is an across platform programme.

    > However, in general Linux viruses are harder to write and harder to
    > spread and it is harder for them to get root privileges. But nothing
    > is impossible.
    >
    > At the moment, it is much easier to write viruses for Windows.

    Also the reward/damage is greater.

  2. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, Frank wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>>lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>>action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>>

    >> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    >> via bad PHP software.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Live with it old man. You proly have an infected computer and are not
    > even aware of it.
    > Ignorance is bliss...LOL!
    > Frank

    Woger, is that you? Or just his cousin?

  3. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17370 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-03-28, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17370 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> The most likely reason would be a third party package that is not
    >>> being updated properly.

    >> Absolutely. And anyone not updating it properly needs to have a
    >> serious word with themselves.

    > Sure. But keep in mind, the same can be said about reckless or
    > clueless Windows users. The difference between Windows and Linux is
    > two fold, one is that Linux users get daily updates, and two, they are
    > very unlikely to get infected through the desktop vector.

    This isn't a linux or windows problem though. This is an adminstrator
    laziness issue. Neither OS is at fault.

    >> Third part appications have regular patches released, you can also
    >> subscribe to be notified of their existence, or set their patching
    >> page as your "homepage".

    > yep
    >
    >> It's simple. Even for a knuckledrageer.

    > I just update regularly from cron.

    That's not always possible and surely depends on the type of third
    party app you use.

    >>> The word "responsible" is a little loaded emotionally. It can mean
    >>> many things. A less emotionally charged way to see this, is to say
    >>> "just because you run Linux, don't think that you cannot get hacked".

    >> I am not stupid. I know that security holes exist in older releases.
    >> Educating people to patch and upgrade is what is required.
    >>
    >> Or...
    >> Not allowing people to run websites until they have a semblence of a
    >> clue.

    > Not realistic.

    In which case, we'll just have to live with it.

    >>> Let's say that you go to a store and a salesman sells you a nice
    >>> looking door lock. Based on incorrect ravings of fans of this door
    >>> lock, you think that it is unbreakable, so you leave a big bag with
    >>> cash in your living room, and advertise this.
    >>>
    >>> A thief comes and is able to pick the lock, and steals your cash.
    >>>
    >>> After this you realize that you should be more careful.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe you should not leave cash in your living room and use some extra
    >>> locks and sturdier doors.

    >> LOL. Nice analogy. I prefer my screwdrver one personally. ;-)
    >>
    >> Anyway, back to your "linux" is responsible. I think we've clearly
    >> discarded that.
    >>
    >> It's not Linux per se, it's a combination of poor administration and
    >> third party php or cgi (or similar) scripts that are the issue. Not
    >> actually Linux.

    >> But you are *also* correct. Don't assume you are safe just because you
    >> use Linux. Make sure you keep up to date with security patches though
    >> and things are expenentionally less likely to occur
    >>
    >> Line in the sand?
    >>

    > Sounds like we mostly agree now.

    Yup. Although, I still don't see it as a linux issue. It's a cross
    platform problem and can be described as "lack of best practice".

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  4. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    "Gordon" wrote in message
    > On 2008-03-27, Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.

    > Now let us clear, PHP is an across platform programme.

    Lets be clear.. windows doesn't come with PHP installed, unlike most linux
    distros.
    Its a typical case of installing stuff that isn't needed is bad.
    Any user that knows what he/she is doing doesn't install PHP (or anything
    else) if they aren't using it.
    Less code == less vulnerabilities.

  5. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Frank wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> Does the mental ward you're in know you have access to a computer?
    >>> Turn yourself in before it's too late, ok?
    >>> Trust me, it's for the best!
    >>> Frank

    >> Frank, you are discovering new levels of pathetic everyday.

    > Hey bozo, I see you still haven't been able to pull your head out of
    > your ass...LOL!
    > Loser!
    > Frank

    Boring Frank very boring. No imagination, no intelligence. If I were to call you a half-wit it would be unfair to half-wits around the world. Go away you little man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7