Ubuntu & Antivirus - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu & Antivirus - Ubuntu ; "Ignoramus17370" wrote in message news:NuOdnS9xacifenHanZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@giganews.com ... > On 2008-03-28, Moog wrote: >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: >>> "dennis@home" writes: >> >>> >>>> If you need/want secure wireless using WEP you can setup a tunnel and >>>> use IPSEC or ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    "Ignoramus17370" wrote in message
    news:NuOdnS9xacifenHanZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-03-28, Moog wrote:
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Yeah, ditto if he's using ssh over the link - perfectly safe then.

    >> Interesting. Like I said, I use WPA, but know someone with a WEP only
    >> device. So there is a solution then.

    > It is a solution, but the person who gains unauthorized wifi access is
    > still able to
    >
    > 1) abuse your bandwidth

    Only the wireless bandwidth, the router will not pass any traffic that is
    outside the VPN anywhere if it is done correctly.

    > 2) expose you to legal problems

    How?
    No unauthorised access to anything is available, there is a small chance
    they could hack the VPN keys but not much and they should be changed.

    > What they would not be able to do, is capture your passwords. That is,
    > unless you supply them through other means, e.g. samba shares or VNC
    > passwords etc.

    Not even plain text telnet would expose the passwords as all traffic is
    within an encrypted VPN.

  2. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    mark wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> mark wrote:

    >>> I just "met" him a few days ago. He really is a one trick pony. I'd
    >>> send him a book of witty retorts but I doubt he can read. Thanks for
    >>> the heads up.

    >> First thing you should try and do is to pull you head out of your
    >> ass...LOL!
    >> Can you?
    >> Frank

    > Boring. You are a boring brain-dead idiot.

    Idiot!
    Frank

  3. Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Do NOT use WEP
    Use WPA with a preshare key

    Phypps

    "Will" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:35:16 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Can the average home user hack your WEP stream?
    >>
    >> Answer: No
    >>
    >> Can the average competent Linux user do it?
    >>
    >> Answer: probably

    > Average home user can definitely crack WEP if they care to try. There
    > are programs available for both windows and *nix systems as well as step
    > by step howto's that include links to said software. I haven't
    > personally used a windows one although I have seen screen shots and it's
    > basically point and click. I have used airsnort under linux and never
    > having done it before took me less than 5 minutes using 3 commands. I'd
    > upgrade those answers to probably and yes respectively.
    >
    > -will

  4. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Did you understand that phishing websites were running on compromised
    >> Linux servers?

    > A website runninmg on a linux server? Who'd have thunk it?
    >
    > And as for "compromised", you probably mean "out of date AMP"
    >
    > Linux can not be held responsible for amateur users who do not patch
    > correctly. Just in the same way that the misuse of "Format C" and
    > "rm -rf" cannot be attributed to the OS in question.
    >
    > OK. So if someone rams a screwdriver into their eyeball, you would
    > blame the screwdriver. Right?

    It is clearly the fault of the eye for not being impervious to puncture.
    Or the fault of Him Who "intelligently" designed it.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  5. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    mark wrote in news:r%YGj.5164$VK4.1701@trnddc08:

    > DanS wrote:
    >> mark wrote in

    >>> A very well thought and intelligent reply. What a complete idiot
    >>> you are.

    >> Frank hasn't developed any new material in months.
    >>

    > I just "met" him a few days ago. He really is a one trick pony. I'd
    > send him a book of witty retorts but I doubt he can read. Thanks for
    > the heads up.

    Not only nothing new in months, but what you see posted is probably about
    as intelligent as it gets, even in the Vista.General group where he
    whole-heartedly supports Vista and all things MS.

    I'm guessing he used to be intelligent and well-spoken, but then started
    using Vista......and you can see what that does to people.

    Frank will also claim that certain Linux users are in the Vista.General
    groups 'harrassing' people, which means offering Ubuntu.

    Typically, someone will come in with some type of problem with Vista and
    one of those Linux users might reply something like......'Give Ubuntu a
    shot. No DRM, WGA, WPA.'

    One in 10 or less , the posts OP will say 'No thanks', not interested.'
    and it's left at that by the OP.

    But 10 times in 10, Frank will come in with his patented 'Fukk you, you
    lying Linux POS troll. Noone want's you here with your toy POS operating
    system.' And then it just escalates from there.

    At least 95% of the time Frank is the aggressor, although he'll claim
    he's doing it for the 'good of the group' while in reality, he's doing it
    for his own ego, and that it is him that perpetuates all of the threads
    that denigrate into juvenile name-calling.

    There is no sense in even replying to Frank, because he's got absolutely
    nothing of any substance to offer for any discussion topic.

  6. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Frank wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> First thing you should try and do is to pull you head out of your
    >>> ass...LOL!
    >>> Can you?
    >>> Frank

    >> Boring. You are a boring brain-dead idiot.

    > Idiot!
    > Frank

    Is this the best you can offer? Is this you best attempt at replying to my posts? I would be embarrassed if I were you. You obviously like MS products. That's fine. As I've stated before no one cares what OS you like or use. Is it possible that you can just mind you own business and not burden the world with your obvious psychological problems? Another bit of advice: if you can't, or won't, learn how to behave then just leave everyone else alone. You are a miserable meaningless person, now go away.

  7. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    DanS wrote:
    > mark wrote in news:r%YGj.5164$VK4.1701@trnddc08:
    >
    >> DanS wrote:
    >>> mark wrote in

    >>> Frank hasn't developed any new material in months.
    >>>

    >> I just "met" him a few days ago. He really is a one trick pony. I'd
    >> send him a book of witty retorts but I doubt he can read. Thanks for
    >> the heads up.

    > Not only nothing new in months, but what you see posted is probably about
    > as intelligent as it gets, even in the Vista.General group where he
    > whole-heartedly supports Vista and all things MS.
    >
    > I'm guessing he used to be intelligent and well-spoken, but then started
    > using Vista......and you can see what that does to people.
    >
    > Frank will also claim that certain Linux users are in the Vista.General
    > groups 'harrassing' people, which means offering Ubuntu.
    >
    > Typically, someone will come in with some type of problem with Vista and
    > one of those Linux users might reply something like......'Give Ubuntu a
    > shot. No DRM, WGA, WPA.'
    >
    > One in 10 or less , the posts OP will say 'No thanks', not interested.'
    > and it's left at that by the OP.
    >
    > But 10 times in 10, Frank will come in with his patented 'Fukk you, you
    > lying Linux POS troll. Noone want's you here with your toy POS operating
    > system.' And then it just escalates from there.
    >
    > At least 95% of the time Frank is the aggressor, although he'll claim
    > he's doing it for the 'good of the group' while in reality, he's doing it
    > for his own ego, and that it is him that perpetuates all of the threads
    > that denigrate into juvenile name-calling.
    >
    > There is no sense in even replying to Frank, because he's got absolutely
    > nothing of any substance to offer for any discussion topic.

    Yes but it can be a fruitless attempt to alleviate boredom and practice typing.

  8. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Frank wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> First thing you should try and do is to pull you head out of your
    >>> ass...LOL!
    >>> Can you?
    >>> Frank

    >> Boring. You are a boring brain-dead idiot.

    > Idiot!
    > Frank

    oops spelling error in previous post

    Is this the best you can offer? Is this your best attempt at replying to my posts? I would be embarrassed if I were you. You obviously like MS products. That's fine. As I've stated before no one cares what OS you like or use. Is it possible that you can just mind you own business and not burden the world with your obvious psychological problems? Another bit of advice: if you can't, or won't, learn how to behave then just leave everyone else alone. You are a miserable meaningless person, now go away.

  9. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    mark wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> mark wrote:

    >>> Boring. You are a boring brain-dead idiot.

    >> Idiot!
    >> Frank

    > Is this the best you can offer?

    Hahah...that's all an asshole loser like you needs...LOL!
    Frank

  10. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    mark wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> mark wrote:

    >>> Boring. You are a boring brain-dead idiot.

    >> Idiot!
    >> Frank

    > oops spelling error in previous post
    >
    > Is this the best you can offer? Is this your best attempt at replying
    > to my posts? I would be embarrassed if I were you. You obviously like
    > MS products. That's fine. As I've stated before no one cares what OS
    > you like or use. Is it possible that you can just mind you own business
    > and not burden the world with your obvious psychological problems?
    > Another bit of advice: if you can't, or won't, learn how to behave then
    > just leave everyone else alone. You are a miserable meaningless person,
    > now go away.

    You're becoming my little Pavlovian dog.
    You can't help responding to my post...LOL!
    Frank

  11. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    John F. Morse illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> OK. So if someone rams a screwdriver into their eyeball, you would
    >> blame the screwdriver. Right?

    > Nah. He's more apt to point at the safety glasses laying on the work
    > bench. ;-)

    Heh. I knew there was a reason for this "helath and safety" nanny
    state we've created. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    AV3 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Did you understand that phishing websites were running on compromised
    >>> Linux servers?

    >> A website runninmg on a linux server? Who'd have thunk it?
    >>
    >> And as for "compromised", you probably mean "out of date AMP"
    >>
    >> Linux can not be held responsible for amateur users who do not patch
    >> correctly. Just in the same way that the misuse of "Format C" and
    >> "rm -rf" cannot be attributed to the OS in question.
    >>
    >> OK. So if someone rams a screwdriver into their eyeball, you would
    >> blame the screwdriver. Right?
    >>

    > It is clearly the fault of the eye for not being impervious to puncture.
    > Or the fault of Him Who "intelligently" designed it.

    Heh. It all comes back to the almighty in the end. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Yeah, ditto if he's using ssh over the link - perfectly safe then.

    >> Interesting. Like I said, I use WPA, but know someone with a WEP only
    >> device. So there is a solution then.
    >>
    >> I'll let them know.
    >>
    >> Thanks BTW, Dennis.
    >>

    > But its probably more work then its worth. A new router is the way IMO.
    >
    > I can heartily recommend a
    >
    > DG834GTB netgear wireless modem.
    >
    > Although its not the cheapest.

    Thanks. But I already have a number of Belkin's, a couple of Netgears
    and a Linksys.

    I'll pass your recomendation on to him.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  14. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17370 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-03-28, Moog wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Did you understand that phishing websites were running on compromised
    >>> Linux servers?

    >> A website runninmg on a linux server? Who'd have thunk it?
    >>
    >> And as for "compromised", you probably mean "out of date AMP"

    > The most likely reason would be a third party package that is not
    > being updated properly.

    Absolutely. And anyone not updating it properly needs to have a
    serious word with themselves.

    Third part appications have regular patches released, you can also
    subscribe to be notified of their existence, or set their patching
    page as your "homepage".

    It's simple. Even for a knuckledrageer.

    >> Linux can not be held responsible for amateur users who do not patch
    >> correctly. Just in the same way that the misuse of "Format C" and
    >> "rm -rf" cannot be attributed to the OS in question.

    > The word "responsible" is a little loaded emotionally. It can mean
    > many things. A less emotionally charged way to see this, is to say
    > "just because you run Linux, don't think that you cannot get hacked".

    I am not stupid. I know that security holes exist in older releases.
    Educating people to patch and upgrade is what is required.

    Or...
    Not allowing people to run websites until they have a semblence of a
    clue.

    >> OK. So if someone rams a screwdriver into their eyeball, you would
    >> blame the screwdriver. Right?

    > Let's say that you go to a store and a salesman sells you a nice
    > looking door lock. Based on incorrect ravings of fans of this door
    > lock, you think that it is unbreakable, so you leave a big bag with
    > cash in your living room, and advertise this.
    >
    > A thief comes and is able to pick the lock, and steals your cash.
    >
    > After this you realize that you should be more careful.
    >
    > Maybe you should not leave cash in your living room and use some extra
    > locks and sturdier doors.

    LOL. Nice analogy. I prefer my screwdrver one personally. ;-)

    Anyway, back to your "linux" is responsible. I think we've clearly
    discarded that.

    It's not Linux per se, it's a combination of poor administration and
    third party php or cgi (or similar) scripts that are the issue. Not
    actually Linux.

    But you are *also* correct. Don't assume you are safe just because you
    use Linux. Make sure you keep up to date with security patches though
    and things are expenentionally less likely to occur

    Line in the sand?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Frank wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> Idiot!
    >>> Frank

    >> Is this the best you can offer?

    > Hahah...that's all an asshole loser like you needs...LOL!
    > Frank

    Maybe he is learning not to go hehehe

  16. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    measekite wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> mark wrote:

    >>> Is this the best you can offer?

    >> Hahah...that's all an asshole loser like you needs...LOL!
    >> Frank

    > Maybe he is learning not to go hehehe

    Does the mental ward you're in know you have access to a computer?
    Turn yourself in before it's too late, ok?
    Trust me, it's for the best!
    Frank

  17. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    measekite wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >> mark wrote:

    >>> Is this the best you can offer?

    >> Hahah...that's all an asshole loser like you needs...LOL!
    >> Frank

    > Maybe he is learning not to go hehehe

    Sorry I'm just a hahaha kind of guy.

  18. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Frank wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >>

    >> Frank wrote:

    >>> Hahah...that's all an asshole loser like you needs...LOL!
    >>> Frank

    >> Maybe he is learning not to go hehehe

    > Does the mental ward you're in know you have access to a computer?
    > Turn yourself in before it's too late, ok?
    > Trust me, it's for the best!
    > Frank

    Frank, you are discovering new levels of pathetic everyday.

  19. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-28, Moog wrote:
    > Ignoramus17370 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-03-28, Moog wrote:
    >>> Ignoramus17842 illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> A website runninmg on a linux server? Who'd have thunk it?
    >>>
    >>> And as for "compromised", you probably mean "out of date AMP"

    >> The most likely reason would be a third party package that is not
    >> being updated properly.

    > Absolutely. And anyone not updating it properly needs to have a
    > serious word with themselves.

    Sure. But keep in mind, the same can be said about reckless or
    clueless Windows users. The difference between Windows and Linux is
    two fold, one is that Linux users get daily updates, and two, they are
    very unlikely to get infected through the desktop vector.

    > Third part appications have regular patches released, you can also
    > subscribe to be notified of their existence, or set their patching
    > page as your "homepage".

    yep

    > It's simple. Even for a knuckledrageer.

    I just update regularly from cron.

    >>> Linux can not be held responsible for amateur users who do not patch
    >>> correctly. Just in the same way that the misuse of "Format C" and
    >>> "rm -rf" cannot be attributed to the OS in question.

    >> The word "responsible" is a little loaded emotionally. It can mean
    >> many things. A less emotionally charged way to see this, is to say
    >> "just because you run Linux, don't think that you cannot get hacked".

    > I am not stupid. I know that security holes exist in older releases.
    > Educating people to patch and upgrade is what is required.
    >
    > Or...
    > Not allowing people to run websites until they have a semblence of a
    > clue.

    Not realistic.

    >>> OK. So if someone rams a screwdriver into their eyeball, you would
    >>> blame the screwdriver. Right?

    >> Let's say that you go to a store and a salesman sells you a nice
    >> looking door lock. Based on incorrect ravings of fans of this door
    >> lock, you think that it is unbreakable, so you leave a big bag with
    >> cash in your living room, and advertise this.
    >>
    >> A thief comes and is able to pick the lock, and steals your cash.
    >>
    >> After this you realize that you should be more careful.
    >>
    >> Maybe you should not leave cash in your living room and use some extra
    >> locks and sturdier doors.

    > LOL. Nice analogy. I prefer my screwdrver one personally. ;-)
    >
    > Anyway, back to your "linux" is responsible. I think we've clearly
    > discarded that.
    >
    > It's not Linux per se, it's a combination of poor administration and
    > third party php or cgi (or similar) scripts that are the issue. Not
    > actually Linux.

    > But you are *also* correct. Don't assume you are safe just because you
    > use Linux. Make sure you keep up to date with security patches though
    > and things are expenentionally less likely to occur
    >
    > Line in the sand?

    Sounds like we mostly agree now.

  20. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    mark wrote:
    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> measekite wrote:

    >>> Maybe he is learning not to go hehehe

    >> Does the mental ward you're in know you have access to a computer?
    >> Turn yourself in before it's too late, ok?
    >> Trust me, it's for the best!
    >> Frank

    > Frank, you are discovering new levels of pathetic everyday.

    Hey bozo, I see you still haven't been able to pull your head out of
    your ass...LOL!
    Loser!
    Frank