Ubuntu & Antivirus - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu & Antivirus - Ubuntu ; I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible. However, in general Linux ...

  1. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.

    However, in general Linux viruses are harder to write and harder to
    spread and it is harder for them to get root privileges. But nothing
    is impossible.

    At the moment, it is much easier to write viruses for Windows.

  2. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    In Message-ID: <47eba2bd$0$14353$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Dirk T. Verbeek:

    [Snip...]

    > (I just wonder why it sounded you directed this as an accusation at me?)

    Sorry; it was NOT my intent at all. I'm actually fed up with wintrolls who
    hype ancient *nix security lapses as sorryass "examples" of *nix bugs (not
    you, definitely).

    If Morris is the best the M$ shills have to offer they're closer to having
    a final Come To Jesus Meeting about net sanitation than even I imagined.

    I answered your post, because in it I found what seemed to be some wintard
    on Morris, as a FU (apparently, the OP tripped into my bozobin).

    Again, apologies for any confusion about the "target" in my posting.

  3. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17842 wrote:

    > I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    > lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    > action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.

    You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    via bad PHP software.

    Thanks

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  4. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, NoStop wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >
    >> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>

    > You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    > via bad PHP software.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=

    I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

  5. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17842 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-27, NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>>

    >> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that
    >> spreads via bad PHP software.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm

    http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=

    > I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    > webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    All references are 3 years old. Tell us whether PHP has been patched since
    then.

    Thanks

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  6. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17842 writes:

    > On 2008-03-27, NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>>

    >> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    >> via bad PHP software.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    > http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=
    >
    > I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    > webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    If you write correct PHP there is nothing to worry about IMO. Most
    errors occur from buffer overruns caused by entry fields not correctly
    escaping/detecting php code which is then "redisplayed" as a user name
    or some such but obviously then execed by the php server instead.

    Having a no php rule is over kill, especially if its a non submission
    site.

    --
    I thought you had a CS degree? And you never did a compiler course? I am
    amazed! - Hadron Quark, COLA

  7. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    NoStop wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >

    >>I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>

    > You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    > via bad PHP software.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Cheers.

    Live with it old man. You proly have an infected computer and are not
    even aware of it.
    Ignorance is bliss...LOL!
    Frank

  8. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    > On 2008-03-27, NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>>

    >> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    >> via bad PHP software.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    > http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=
    >
    > I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    > webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    Just taking your word for it isn't enough, especially since you are the
    only detector of such worms on record. For the benefit of the community,
    please take the time and trouble to give us a full report the next time
    you encounter a linux worm in the wild. I suspect that with the help of
    the members of this message group you will find it to be something else.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  9. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:20:24 -0400, Anonymous wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >> > I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various
    >> > distributions for over five years - currently have five home systems
    >> > on the net 14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

    >> I've run Linux distributions of one sort or another for 10/11 years &
    >> never used an AV. AV applications are only any use if you have windoze
    >> machines in your network, to stop them getting infected.

    > My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties like
    > html tricks and phishing scams.
    >
    > Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?

    I would not say "of no use to anyone" - but certainly not necessary to
    keep the machine safe and secure.

  10. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:16:25 +0100, Non scrivetemi wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> I've never run antivirus on Linux. I've been using various
    >> distributions for over five years - currently have five home systems on
    >> the net 14/7/365 via broadband - I've never had an infestation.

    > How do you know?
    >
    > Your statement distills down to "can't have happened because I never
    > bothered to look".

    I have indeed "bothered to look" from time to time. Perhaps it would be
    more accurate to say I've never seen any indication of an infestation -
    happy now?

  11. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    ray writes:

    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:20:24 -0400, Anonymous wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster wrote:

    >>> I've run Linux distributions of one sort or another for 10/11 years &
    >>> never used an AV. AV applications are only any use if you have windoze
    >>> machines in your network, to stop them getting infected.

    >> My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties like
    >> html tricks and phishing scams.
    >>
    >> Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?

    > I would not say "of no use to anyone" - but certainly not necessary to
    > keep the machine safe and secure.

    A sensible answer.

    Unfortunately though the usual blowhards have totally missed the point
    here : its a point about security as much as about one form of
    compromising security .

    Here the more important issue was the WEP. It makes hardly any
    difference, only good, if he does install an AV for Linux.

    But using WEP is tantamount to idiocy if his data must remain secure.

    --
    - "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
    some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for

  12. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, NoStop wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 wrote:

    >>> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that
    >>> spreads via bad PHP software.

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    >>

    > http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=
    >>
    >> I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    >> webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    > All references are 3 years old. Tell us whether PHP has been patched since
    > then.

    It was patched a lot of times. I do not believe that it fully stopped
    PHP viruses. I am not going to do your research for you. Just last
    year I saw viruses probing for functions.php files on my server.

    See this:

    http://developers.slashdot.org/artic.../12/14/0410240
    http://www.php-security.org/

  13. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 writes:

    >>> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    >>> via bad PHP software.

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    >> http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=
    >>
    >> I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    >> webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    > If you write correct PHP there is nothing to worry about IMO.

    It is very easy to write i ncorrect PHP code without realizing.

    > Most errors occur from buffer overruns caused by entry fields not
    > correctly escaping/detecting php code which is then "redisplayed" as
    > a user name or some such but obviously then execed by the php server
    > instead.

    No. That's not the case.

    > Having a no php rule is over kill, especially if its a non submission
    > site.

    The only PHP software that I run, is mediawiki.

  14. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, AV3 wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 wrote:

    >>> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that spreads
    >>> via bad PHP software.

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    >> http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=
    >>
    >> I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    >> webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    > Just taking your word for it isn't enough, especially since you are the
    > only detector of such worms on record. For the benefit of the community,
    > please take the time and trouble to give us a full report the next time
    > you encounter a linux worm in the wild. I suspect that with the help of
    > the members of this message group you will find it to be something else.

    How about these entries from my yesterday log file:

    /var/log/httpd==>grep 'php ' access_log.1 |grep -v majestic
    62.93.234.61 - - [21/Mar/2008:19:11:30 -0500] "GET /thisdoesnotexistahaha.php HTTP/1.0" 404 301 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)" hahaha.com
    62.93.234.61 - - [21/Mar/2008:19:11:30 -0500] "GET /vhcs2/tools/filemanager/login.php HTTP/1.0" 404 309 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)" hahaha.com
    62.93.234.61 - - [21/Mar/2008:19:11:30 -0500] "GET /vhcs2/lostpw.php HTTP/1.0" 404 292 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)" hahaha.com

  15. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17842 wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >>> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>>

    >> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that
    >> spreads via bad PHP software.

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    > http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=

    Those old references do not actually prove these are Linux viruses or
    worms. It would seem that if a Windows web server was running three-year
    old unpatched PHP or CGI script, the result would be the same.

    Notice too, from your third link, that nearly all of the vulns are cgi
    scripts. Still nothing to do with Linux.

    > I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    > webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    Does that mean you don't use PHP in the sites you write? Or don't visit
    sites made with PHP?

    I use hand-coded PHP for all my sites, and with no third-party scripts
    or "cgi", and have yet to discover a vulnerability. Yes, they are all
    hosted on Linux servers running cPanel.

    Your references would be valid (except for the Linux part) for web
    authors still using Matt Wright's ten year old insecure formmail script,
    for example.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

  16. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Ignoramus17842 writes:

    > On 2008-03-27, Hadron wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 writes:

    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    >>> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    >>> http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=
    >>>
    >>> I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    >>> webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    >> If you write correct PHP there is nothing to worry about IMO.

    > It is very easy to write i ncorrect PHP code without realizing.
    >
    >> Most errors occur from buffer overruns caused by entry fields not
    >> correctly escaping/detecting php code which is then "redisplayed" as
    >> a user name or some such but obviously then execed by the php server
    >> instead.

    > No. That's not the case.

    Explain. That is indeed the case for most PHP based exploits.

    >> Having a no php rule is over kill, especially if its a non submission
    >> site.

    > The only PHP software that I run, is mediawiki.

    So you dont have a no PHP rule?

    --
    revision 1.17.2.7
    date: 2001/05/31 21:32:44; author: branden; state: Exp; lines: +1 -1

  17. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On 2008-03-27, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that
    >>> spreads via bad PHP software.

    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/20/linux_worm/
    >> http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_136821.htm
    >> http://www.pandasecurity.com/enterpr...prod=&entorno=

    > Those old references do not actually prove these are Linux viruses or
    > worms. It would seem that if a Windows web server was running three-year
    > old unpatched PHP or CGI script, the result would be the same.

    Sure. If a windows server was running that crap, it would be infected
    too. Which is the whole point.

    > Notice too, from your third link, that nearly all of the vulns are cgi
    > scripts. Still nothing to do with Linux.

    It has everything to do with linux if they run on Linux.

    >> I run a webserver and frequently see those worms probing my
    >> webserver. I do not get infected since I have a anti-PHP policy.

    > Does that mean you don't use PHP in the sites you write? Or don't visit
    > sites made with PHP?

    That means that I do not use PHP on any server that I host, with the
    exception of mediawiki.

    > I use hand-coded PHP for all my sites, and with no third-party scripts
    > or "cgi", and have yet to discover a vulnerability. Yes, they are all
    > hosted on Linux servers running cPanel.

    If no one knows what code you are writing, you most likely will be
    safe from automated attacks. But if your hand written code has
    vulnerabilities, and someone wants to hack you specifically, chances
    are good that you will be hacked.

    Also if you are on shared hosting, most likely other users of that
    hosting would be able to see the source code of your script.

    I hacked a user of panix.com 12 years ago because they set up wrong
    permissions on telnet binary that they uploaded to their account
    ~/bin/telnet (telnetting to outside was against panix policy and
    /usr/bin/telnet was mode 710). I then changed it to a altered version
    that was to run a script that I wrote to set other permissions to read
    his email. I am not a pro hacker either, it was just a USENET asshole
    on whom I needed some intel.

    If you are on shared hosting, source code of your scripts is almost
    publicly available (to anyone with $12 to sign up for a month), as,
    most likely, are your database credentials.

    > Your references would be valid (except for the Linux part) for web
    > authors still using Matt Wright's ten year old insecure formmail
    > script, for example.

    And a lot of other things.

    Security is not simple and PHP is making it very difficult to be
    secure.

    Linux systems are not impervious to viruses. To think otherwise is to
    delude oneself and to invite trouble.

  18. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    Frank wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Ignoramus17842 wrote:
    >>

    >>> I am sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but there are linux viruses. A
    >>> lot of them spread via bad PHP software. I have seen some in
    >>> action. That's the reason why I avoid PHP where possible.
    >>>

    >> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that
    >> spreads
    >> via bad PHP software.
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Live with it old man. You proly have an infected computer and are not
    > even aware of it.
    > Ignorance is bliss...LOL!
    > Frank

    So haw does it feel. tee hee hee

  19. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:30:00 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > ray writes:

    >>> My av software sorts out all manner of "cross platform" nasties like
    >>> html tricks and phishing scams.
    >>>
    >>> Are you saying that's of no use to anyone?

    >> I would not say "of no use to anyone" - but certainly not necessary to
    >> keep the machine safe and secure.

    > A sensible answer.
    >
    > Unfortunately though the usual blowhards have totally missed the point
    > here : its a point about security as much as about one form of
    > compromising security .
    >
    > Here the more important issue was the WEP. It makes hardly any
    > difference, only good, if he does install an AV for Linux.
    >
    > But using WEP is tantamount to idiocy if his data must remain secure.

    I'm certainly not a security expert, but it would seem to me that steps
    like: not broadcasting essid and having a list of approved MAC addresses
    for connection would go a long way.

  20. Re: Ubuntu & Antivirus

    measekite wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> You're not bursting my bubble. Prove it. Show us a linux virus that
    >>> spreads
    >>> via bad PHP software.
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Live with it old man. You proly have an infected computer and are not
    >> even aware of it.
    >> Ignorance is bliss...LOL!
    >> Frank

    > So haw does it feel. tee hee hee