WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy??? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy??? - Ubuntu ; I have been trying Ubuntu Hardy from one of my computers, and everything works except for my wireless network. The wireless network card is a Broadcom BCM94311MCG (14e4:4311), and I have used this card without any problems through ndiswrapper at ...

  1. WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    I have been trying Ubuntu Hardy from one of my computers, and everything
    works except for my wireless network. The wireless network card is a
    Broadcom BCM94311MCG (14e4:4311), and I have used this card without any
    problems through ndiswrapper at other distributions (and versions of
    ubuntu). But this time I am stuck... It works perfectly using an
    unencrypted network, and also a WEP encrypted network (with either the
    ndiswrapper or the b43 driver), but when I try on WPA encrypted networks
    the 'wpa_state' (from 'wpa_cli status') switches continuously between
    'wpa_state=ASSOCIATING' and 'wpa_state=GROUP_HANDSHAKE', but never
    reaches the desired 'wpa_state=COMPLETED'.

    I have tried 5 or 6 different versions of wpa_supplicant (from 0.5.2 to
    0.6.3), and for all of them this behaviour applies to both the
    ndiswrapper and the b43 driver. I read somewhere that this has something
    to do with the 2.6.24 kernel (and not specifically ubuntu), but I would
    like to know if somebody has had any luck solving this problem.

    Because of this I am forced to use WEP encryption at my local network,
    and I hate doing that (because of security).

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental

  2. Re: WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    > I have been trying Ubuntu Hardy from one of my computers, and everything
    > works except for my wireless network. The wireless network card is a
    > Broadcom BCM94311MCG (14e4:4311), and I have used this card without any
    > problems through ndiswrapper at other distributions (and versions of
    > ubuntu). But this time I am stuck... It works perfectly using an
    > unencrypted network, and also a WEP encrypted network (with either the
    > ndiswrapper or the b43 driver), but when I try on WPA encrypted networks
    > the 'wpa_state' (from 'wpa_cli status') switches continuously between
    > 'wpa_state=ASSOCIATING' and 'wpa_state=GROUP_HANDSHAKE', but never
    > reaches the desired 'wpa_state=COMPLETED'.
    >
    > I have tried 5 or 6 different versions of wpa_supplicant (from 0.5.2 to
    > 0.6.3), and for all of them this behaviour applies to both the
    > ndiswrapper and the b43 driver. I read somewhere that this has something
    > to do with the 2.6.24 kernel (and not specifically ubuntu), but I would
    > like to know if somebody has had any luck solving this problem.
    >
    > Because of this I am forced to use WEP encryption at my local network,
    > and I hate doing that (because of security).

    This might also be some compatibility issues between my router (an older
    D-Link DI-624), and wpasupplicant running at the 2.6.24 kernel at a
    Broadcom 4311 card. I have just tested the computer at a different
    WPA-encrypted accesspoint, and here it works...

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental
    results are always interpretations of the facts observed.

  3. Re: WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:33:38 +0100, Jacob Tranholm wrote:

    > Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    >> I have been trying Ubuntu Hardy from one of my computers, and
    >> everything works except for my wireless network. The wireless network
    >> card is a Broadcom BCM94311MCG (14e4:4311), and I have used this card
    >> without any problems through ndiswrapper at other distributions (and
    >> versions of ubuntu). But this time I am stuck... It works perfectly
    >> using an unencrypted network, and also a WEP encrypted network (with
    >> either the ndiswrapper or the b43 driver), but when I try on WPA
    >> encrypted networks the 'wpa_state' (from 'wpa_cli status') switches
    >> continuously between 'wpa_state=ASSOCIATING' and
    >> 'wpa_state=GROUP_HANDSHAKE', but never reaches the desired
    >> 'wpa_state=COMPLETED'.
    >>
    >> I have tried 5 or 6 different versions of wpa_supplicant (from 0.5.2 to
    >> 0.6.3), and for all of them this behaviour applies to both the
    >> ndiswrapper and the b43 driver. I read somewhere that this has
    >> something to do with the 2.6.24 kernel (and not specifically ubuntu),
    >> but I would like to know if somebody has had any luck solving this
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Because of this I am forced to use WEP encryption at my local network,
    >> and I hate doing that (because of security).
    >>

    > This might also be some compatibility issues between my router (an older
    > D-Link DI-624), and wpasupplicant running at the 2.6.24 kernel at a
    > Broadcom 4311 card. I have just tested the computer at a different
    > WPA-encrypted accesspoint, and here it works...

    Linux seems to have a love/hate relationship with WPA.
    At first I couldn't get 8.04 to talk to my wrt54g.
    I poked around, updated the firmware on the AP, ran
    Kismet for a while. Now WPA works.

    I don't know what fixed it, but it works, for now at least.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

  4. Re: WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    On 2008-06-03, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:33:38 +0100, Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    >
    >> Jacob Tranholm wrote:
    >>> I have been trying Ubuntu Hardy from one of my computers, and
    >>> everything works except for my wireless network. The wireless network
    >>> card is a Broadcom BCM94311MCG (14e4:4311), and I have used this card
    >>> without any problems through ndiswrapper at other distributions (and
    >>> versions of ubuntu). But this time I am stuck... It works perfectly
    >>> using an unencrypted network, and also a WEP encrypted network (with
    >>> either the ndiswrapper or the b43 driver), but when I try on WPA
    >>> encrypted networks the 'wpa_state' (from 'wpa_cli status') switches
    >>> continuously between 'wpa_state=ASSOCIATING' and
    >>> 'wpa_state=GROUP_HANDSHAKE', but never reaches the desired
    >>> 'wpa_state=COMPLETED'.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried 5 or 6 different versions of wpa_supplicant (from 0.5.2 to
    >>> 0.6.3), and for all of them this behaviour applies to both the
    >>> ndiswrapper and the b43 driver. I read somewhere that this has
    >>> something to do with the 2.6.24 kernel (and not specifically ubuntu),
    >>> but I would like to know if somebody has had any luck solving this
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> Because of this I am forced to use WEP encryption at my local network,
    >>> and I hate doing that (because of security).
    >>>

    >> This might also be some compatibility issues between my router (an older
    >> D-Link DI-624), and wpasupplicant running at the 2.6.24 kernel at a
    >> Broadcom 4311 card. I have just tested the computer at a different
    >> WPA-encrypted accesspoint, and here it works...

    > Linux seems to have a love/hate relationship with WPA.
    > At first I couldn't get 8.04 to talk to my wrt54g.
    > I poked around, updated the firmware on the AP, ran
    > Kismet for a while. Now WPA works.
    >
    > I don't know what fixed it, but it works, for now at least.

    I think that it is he card that did not work. My other laptop works
    fine with WPA, no problem. However, the other one with a similar
    Broadcom card did not work. I simply reverted it back to Gutsy where
    it does work just fine, thank you.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    Ignoramus28189 wrote:
    > On 2008-06-03, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

    >>> This might also be some compatibility issues between my router (an older
    >>> D-Link DI-624), and wpasupplicant running at the 2.6.24 kernel at a
    >>> Broadcom 4311 card. I have just tested the computer at a different
    >>> WPA-encrypted accesspoint, and here it works...

    >> Linux seems to have a love/hate relationship with WPA.
    >> At first I couldn't get 8.04 to talk to my wrt54g.
    >> I poked around, updated the firmware on the AP, ran
    >> Kismet for a while. Now WPA works.
    >>
    >> I don't know what fixed it, but it works, for now at least.

    > I think that it is he card that did not work. My other laptop works
    > fine with WPA, no problem. However, the other one with a similar
    > Broadcom card did not work. I simply reverted it back to Gutsy where
    > it does work just fine, thank you.

    If you can spare some change you might want to get a Linksys WRT54GL,
    which is made for Linux users, hence the 'L'. It has a faster CPU and a
    lot more memory and is a gift to people who love to tweak. The WPA or
    WEP are handled by the router (mine at least) and takes some of the load
    off of the computer itself. I don't know that my Linux (or windows) even
    knows about the encryption. D-Link sales are a small percentage of sales
    compared to the Linksys, according to the trade rags at least. The
    downside to computers (custom home built) is that you usually need to
    make an update to the hardware every 6 months or so (cards mostly) until
    you have to change the MB.
    Just a suggestion, not an answer.
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    On 2008-06-03, Bill wrote:
    > Ignoramus28189 wrote:

    >>> Linux seems to have a love/hate relationship with WPA.
    >>> At first I couldn't get 8.04 to talk to my wrt54g.
    >>> I poked around, updated the firmware on the AP, ran
    >>> Kismet for a while. Now WPA works.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know what fixed it, but it works, for now at least.

    >> I think that it is he card that did not work. My other laptop works
    >> fine with WPA, no problem. However, the other one with a similar
    >> Broadcom card did not work. I simply reverted it back to Gutsy where
    >> it does work just fine, thank you.

    > If you can spare some change you might want to get a Linksys WRT54GL,
    > which is made for Linux users, hence the 'L'. It has a faster CPU and a
    > lot more memory and is a gift to people who love to tweak.

    My current router is a "N" router capable of 350 Mbps nominal speed.
    (DIR-655).

    I am trying hard to keep my network infrastructure at gigabit wired
    and "N" wireless speed.

    > The WPA or WEP are handled by the router (mine at least) and takes
    > some of the load off of the computer itself. I don't know that my
    > Linux (or windows) even knows about the encryption.

    I hope that it does know something about encryption, as your
    connection would be otherwise unencrypted.

    > D-Link sales are a small percentage of sales compared to the
    > Linksys, according to the trade rags at least. The downside to
    > computers (custom home built) is that you usually need to make an
    > update to the hardware every 6 months or so (cards mostly) until you
    > have to change the MB. Just a suggestion, not an answer. Bill Baka

    Not really the case, in my own opinion. I build most of my computers.
    They last for a few years until I want to upgrade something.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  7. Re: WPA encryption, Broadcom 4311 and Ubuntu Hardy???

    Ignoramus28189 wrote:
    > On 2008-06-03, Bill wrote:
    >> Ignoramus28189 wrote:

    >>> I think that it is he card that did not work. My other laptop works
    >>> fine with WPA, no problem. However, the other one with a similar
    >>> Broadcom card did not work. I simply reverted it back to Gutsy where
    >>> it does work just fine, thank you.

    >> If you can spare some change you might want to get a Linksys WRT54GL,
    >> which is made for Linux users, hence the 'L'. It has a faster CPU and a
    >> lot more memory and is a gift to people who love to tweak.

    > My current router is a "N" router capable of 350 Mbps nominal speed.
    > (DIR-655).
    >
    > I am trying hard to keep my network infrastructure at gigabit wired
    > and "N" wireless speed.

    I saw "Older D-Link" above which couldn't possibly be an "N" class
    router since the "N" is only about 6 months to a year old. I might have
    replied to the wrong person here since the thread is getting tangled up.

    >> The WPA or WEP are handled by the router (mine at least) and takes
    >> some of the load off of the computer itself. I don't know that my
    >> Linux (or windows) even knows about the encryption.

    > I hope that it does know something about encryption, as your
    > connection would be otherwise unencrypted.

    ?????
    The router is the wireless part of my setup, not a board in the
    computer. The Ethernet card is a 3Com 3CR990 10/100 server card, again,
    an older one but better (in my opinion) than the motherboard port.
    Access is controlled by the router and limited to the MAC addresses of
    only my computers. I might be getting backed into a corner and talking
    apples and oranges, so....?

    >> D-Link sales are a small percentage of sales compared to the
    >> Linksys, according to the trade rags at least. The downside to
    >> computers (custom home built) is that you usually need to make an
    >> update to the hardware every 6 months or so (cards mostly) until you
    >> have to change the MB. Just a suggestion, not an answer. Bill Baka

    > Not really the case, in my own opinion. I build most of my computers.
    > They last for a few years until I want to upgrade something.

    I upgrade card by card with the thought in mind that a new MB will
    probably be PCI-X and roll over a new MB about every 2 years. The ISA
    stuff hit the recycle bin last year, then AGP, etc...
    Nothing is static in the PC universe.
    I'm done. Good luck.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread