Is Grub mandatory? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Is Grub mandatory? - Ubuntu ; Sorry to 2nd post this, needed a different subject. Hi all Sorry to bother you all with this. Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain finicky? I've a triple booting system and obviously when ...

  1. Is Grub mandatory?

    Sorry to 2nd post this, needed a different subject.

    Hi all

    Sorry to bother you all with this.

    Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just
    plain finicky?

    I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the
    other systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for
    instance) on booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to
    install again.

    Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    Best regards

    Tony

  2. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:32:37 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:

    > Sorry to 2nd post this, needed a different subject.
    >
    > Hi all
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this.
    >
    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    > finicky?
    >
    > I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    > everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the other
    > systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for instance)
    > on booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to install
    > again.
    >
    > Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    Certainly not necessary to reinstall. After your MBR has been clobbered
    by an uncooperative OS do the following:

    1) boot any Live CD
    2) start a terminal window and (as root) run grub
    3) grub> root (hd0,3) #for example if Ubuntu is installed on
    hda4 - grub is zero based.
    4) grub> setup (hd0) #writes the MBR just as it was before
    5) grub> quit
    6) reboot - you're all set.

    > Best regards
    >
    > Tony

  3. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On 26 Mar 2008 14:57:37 GMT, ray wrote:

    >> Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    >Certainly not necessary to reinstall. After your MBR has been clobbered
    >by an uncooperative OS do the following:
    >
    >1) boot any Live CD

    >2) start a terminal window and (as root) run grub

    >3) grub> root (hd0,3) #for example if Ubuntu is installed on
    >hda4 - grub is zero based.

    >4) grub> setup (hd0) #writes the MBR just as it was before

    >5) grub> quit
    >6) reboot - you're all set.

    Hi Ray

    Thanks for your reply, when you say it writes it as before, I
    overwrote the MBR on purpose so as the xp on partition 2 (which is a
    clone from partition1) would be forced to rewrite its registry. Do
    you mean that grub will just stick itself back in as the default
    bootloader?

    Best regards

    Tony

  4. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:36:21 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:

    > On 26 Mar 2008 14:57:37 GMT, ray wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    >>Certainly not necessary to reinstall. After your MBR has been clobbered
    >>by an uncooperative OS do the following:
    >>
    >>1) boot any Live CD

    >>2) start a terminal window and (as root) run grub

    >>3) grub> root (hd0,3) #for example if Ubuntu is installed on

    hda4 -
    >>grub is zero based.

    >>4) grub> setup (hd0) #writes the MBR just as it was before

    >>5) grub> quit
    >>6) reboot - you're all set.
    >>

    > Hi Ray
    >
    > Thanks for your reply, when you say it writes it as before, I overwrote
    > the MBR on purpose so as the xp on partition 2 (which is a clone from
    > partition1) would be forced to rewrite its registry. Do you mean that
    > grub will just stick itself back in as the default bootloader?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Tony

    Exactly.

    If you do this sort of thing regularly, another option would be to use dd
    to save and restore the MBR - it's the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda,
    usually.

  5. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:32:37 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:

    > Sorry to 2nd post this, needed a different subject.
    >
    > Hi all
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this.
    >
    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    > finicky?
    >
    > I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    > everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the other
    > systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for instance) on
    > booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to install again.
    >
    > Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Tony

    http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/

    Download the bin and burn it to a cd. Keep it handy. Read your other post
    for my other reply. Please stay with one topic in the future and be
    patient and you didn't need to change the subject, you didn't change the
    content.

  6. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:32:37 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:

    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    > finicky?

    Grub is not mandatory. I've never used grub to boot Linux.

    I've used Lilo for years.

    > Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    I can't help you there.

  7. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    Joe User wrote:

    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:32:37 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:
    >
    >> Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    >> finicky?

    > Grub is not mandatory. I've never used grub to boot Linux.
    >
    > I've used Lilo for years.

    With Ubuntu? If so, how are kernel updates handled when using LILO?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  8. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:32:37 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    >>>finicky?

    >>Grub is not mandatory. I've never used grub to boot Linux.
    >>
    >>I've used Lilo for years.
    >>

    > With Ubuntu? If so, how are kernel updates handled when using LILO?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >

    >>>Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    >>I can't help you there.

    grub is POS and so are you...LOL!
    Get a life old man.
    Frank

  9. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:22:19 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > With Ubuntu? If so, how are kernel updates handled when using LILO?

    Heheh, you have a link to kernel to be loaded and run
    lilo -v
    after link change. :-D

    After fighting going to grub for years, finally caved in and my
    mult-boot grub works for any of my installs.
    menu.lst snippet follows:

    title 2007_1
    root (hd0,10)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title Kubuntu 7.10
    root (hd0,8)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title Ubuntu
    root (hd0,12)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title hotbu
    root (hd1,2)
    configfile /boot/grub/hotbu.lst

    title fc8
    root (hd1,4)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

  10. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:32:37 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    >>> finicky?

    >> Grub is not mandatory. I've never used grub to boot Linux.
    >>
    >> I've used Lilo for years.
    >>

    > With Ubuntu? If so, how are kernel updates handled when using LILO?

    By calling update-lilo instead of update-grub. Have a look at
    /etc/kernel-img.conf

    Florian

  11. Re: Is Grub mandatory?

    On 2008-03-26, Tony Yarwood wrote:
    > Sorry to 2nd post this, needed a different subject.
    >
    > Hi all
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this.
    >
    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just
    > plain finicky?
    >
    > I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    > everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the
    > other systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for
    > instance) on booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to
    > install again.
    >
    > Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    Wrong question. Why do not the other bootloaders see sense? After all Ubuntu
    can be installed after the other OS and everything is fine. Ubuntu knows
    about the other OS and adjusts itself.

    The others say Waht other oS at best, at worst they get the two fingered
    salute.

+ Reply to Thread