Problem with NDiswrapper in 7.10 x64 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problem with NDiswrapper in 7.10 x64 - Ubuntu ; MadWifi doesn't recognise my card (an Atheros 5007EG) as they are yet to release a 64-bit driver so I installed NDiswrapper. Everything was working fine until it suddenly stopped working, at which point it wouldn't connect to any wireless router ...

  1. Problem with NDiswrapper in 7.10 x64

    MadWifi doesn't recognise my card (an Atheros 5007EG) as they are yet to
    release a 64-bit driver so I installed NDiswrapper. Everything was
    working fine until it suddenly stopped working, at which point it
    wouldn't connect to any wireless router (secured or not). The problem
    could have started after I did the automatic update, but I checked the
    settings and everything seemed fine.

    I checked with dmesg and I kept getting a message along the lines of
    'wlan0: Link is not ready' every time I tried to connect.

    For some reason, resetting the MAC address with ipconfig wlan0 hw
    address blahblahblah is the only way to get it to work now. I've added
    the line to /etc/rc.conf.

    Is there any reason for this to be the case?

  2. Re: Problem with NDiswrapper in 7.10 x64

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:31:53 +0000, White Spirit wrote:

    > MadWifi doesn't recognise my card (an Atheros 5007EG) as they are yet to
    > release a 64-bit driver so I installed NDiswrapper. Everything was
    > working fine until it suddenly stopped working, at which point it wouldn't
    > connect to any wireless router (secured or not). The problem could have
    > started after I did the automatic update, but I checked the settings and
    > everything seemed fine.
    >
    > I checked with dmesg and I kept getting a message along the lines of
    > 'wlan0: Link is not ready' every time I tried to connect.
    >
    > For some reason, resetting the MAC address with ipconfig wlan0 hw address
    > blahblahblah is the only way to get it to work now. I've added the line
    > to /etc/rc.conf.
    >
    > Is there any reason for this to be the case?

    My guess would be the recent update broke something. It happened to me
    concerning the volume control mapping on my keyboard. Took me a couple
    days to research that I had to roll back to the previous version of
    kmilo_3.5.6.0ubuntu2.i386.deb (lets you use special keyboard keys)
    to get the keyboard volume control working again. It also changed the
    widget for the popup back to the original large version.

    The reason I brought this up is to show you that although everything may
    'look' fine as it did in my case, something may have broken when you
    did the automatic update. You may try to google it or post on one of the
    Ubuntu forums as I doubt you'll get an answer here. Yes I know the
    newsgroup has Ubuntu in the name but trust me, this group is filled with
    many assholes and trolls. Once in a while the few lurkers here who
    actually know something chime in and give good answers but it's rare.

    Oh and BTW yes, I do know about the original question having used NDISW
    on my HP laptop back in 2004 when there was no linux support for their
    Broadcom BC90436 mini-pci radio.

    Sorry for the rant

+ Reply to Thread