Grub - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Grub - Ubuntu ; Hi all Sorry to bother you all with this. Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain finicky? I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last everything's fine. However when I ...

  1. Grub

    Hi all

    Sorry to bother you all with this.

    Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just
    plain finicky?

    I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the
    other systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for
    instance) on booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to
    install again.

    Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?

    Best regards

    Tony

  2. Re: Grub

    Tony Yarwood wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this.
    >
    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just
    > plain finicky?
    >
    > I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    > everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the
    > other systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for
    > instance) on booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to
    > install again.

    You don't have to re-install Ubuntu, you just have to re-setup grub.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  3. Re: Grub

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:18:49 +0000, Tony Yarwood wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > Sorry to bother you all with this.
    >
    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just plain
    > finicky?
    >
    > I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    > everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the other
    > systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for instance) on
    > booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to install again.
    >
    > Is there some way I make Ubuntu see sense?
    >
    > Best regards

    You shouldn't need another boot loader besides Grub.

    And what are you having to install again, Grub or Ubuntu?

    If your other boot loader wipes out Grub's boot sector how is that Grub's
    problem?

    ?

  4. Re: Grub

    On 2008-03-26, Tony Yarwood wrote:

    > Is Grub mandatory or necessary for booting Ubuntu, or is it just
    > plain finicky?
    >
    > I've a triple booting system and obviously when I install LInux last
    > everything's fine. However when I need do some maintenance on the
    > other systems and I have to install another bootloader (OSL2000 for
    > instance) on booting it'll see Ubuntu but wont fire up, so I have to
    > install again.

    A method that I have used is to install Ubuntu's Grub to the root of
    its own partition rather than the MBR. Then simply add an entry to
    your primary bootloader in your MBR: chainloading.

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

+ Reply to Thread