glitching sound in Ubuntu (7.10/8.04). - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on glitching sound in Ubuntu (7.10/8.04). - Ubuntu ; My installation of ubuntu (7.10 and 8.4 beta either, P4P800 intel mobo using AD1985 chipset) sounds very awful As if CPU has problem to process sound.. I use PCM output with coax SPDIF. In a previous installation of 7.10, sound ...

  1. glitching sound in Ubuntu (7.10/8.04).

    My installation of ubuntu (7.10 and 8.4 beta either, P4P800 intel mobo
    using AD1985 chipset) sounds very awful

    As if CPU has problem to process sound.. I use PCM output with coax SPDIF.

    In a previous installation of 7.10, sound works fine even if no system
    sound effects were available (as click, boing or ubuntu startup music)

    Help me! I don't want to came back to windows to listen music or watching
    movies.

    regards
    Olindo

  2. Re: glitching sound in Ubuntu (7.10/8.04).

    Olindo Pindaro wrote:
    > My installation of ubuntu (7.10 and 8.4 beta either, P4P800 intel mobo
    > using AD1985 chipset) sounds very awful
    >
    > As if CPU has problem to process sound.. I use PCM output with coax SPDIF.
    >
    > In a previous installation of 7.10, sound works fine even if no system
    > sound effects were available (as click, boing or ubuntu startup music)
    >
    > Help me! I don't want to came back to windows to listen music or watching
    > movies.
    >
    > regards
    > Olindo

    Awful how?

  3. Re: glitching sound in Ubuntu (7.10/8.04).

    > Awful how?

    very frequent an very short sound interruptions, as problem in PCM stream
    regular flowing, but it appares always "on" looking to my Yamaha HT
    Amplifier.

    ---HW details
    *-multimedia
    product: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 1f.5
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.5
    version: 02
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=Intel ICH latency=0 module=snd_intel8x0

  4. Re: glitching sound in Ubuntu (7.10/8.04).

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:08:27 +0000, Olindo Pindaro wrote:

    >> Awful how?

    > very frequent an very short sound interruptions, as problem in PCM stream
    > regular flowing, but it appares always "on" looking to my Yamaha HT
    > Amplifier.
    >
    > ---HW details
    > *-multimedia
    > (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller vendor: Intel Corporation
    > physical id: 1f.5
    > bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.5
    > version: 02
    > width: 32 bits
    > clock: 33MHz
    > capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    > configuration: driver=Intel ICH latency=0 module=snd_intel8x0

    Any clues using dmesg?

  5. Re: glitching sound in Ubuntu Solved

    I switched to OSS instead of Pulse Audio. Now works fine... probably bug
    in Pulse...

+ Reply to Thread