KDE 4, wow!!! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on KDE 4, wow!!! - Ubuntu ; Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am gnome user for years now, and I am so impressed!! -- Live & let live, or leave. :-)...

  1. KDE 4, wow!!!

    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  2. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    Holz wrote:
    > Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am
    > gnome user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    I'm a Gnome user and I'm scared. Will KDE scare me?

    Scared.

  3. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:40:32 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am gnome
    > user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    KDE4 is a pig like Windows Vista is. Tried them both, didn't care for
    either.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  4. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:40:32 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >
    >> Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am gnome
    >> user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    > KDE4 is a pig like Windows Vista is. Tried them both, didn't care for
    > either.

    What's going on? :-O

  5. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:53:32 GMT
    Vance Howard wrote:

    > KDE4 is a pig like Windows Vista is. Tried them both, didn't care for
    > either.

    No comparison.

    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  6. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:56:42 +0000, Cork Soaker wrote:

    > Vance Howard wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:40:32 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am
    >>> gnome user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    >> KDE4 is a pig like Windows Vista is. Tried them both, didn't care for
    >> either.
    >>

    > What's going on? :-O

    KDE is trying very hard to emulate a Windows desktop. KDE 3 looked and
    acted like Windows XP, KDE 4 is supposed to be like Windows Vista. KDE 4
    is heavily into the visual effects like Vista is. They are both resource
    hogs, though KDE 4 is less of one, but still a hog.

    I used to use KDE 3. I found it was very buggy. I switched to Gnome and
    haven't regretted it. I did try KDE 4 when it was still relatively new,
    so maybe they have made a few changes that improved it since then. But I
    will stay with Gnome.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  7. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:40:32 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am gnome
    > user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    KDE4 actually impressed me as well and I don't like KDE3 at all.

    There still though are a couple things keeping me away from KDE4:

    - It's lacking many of the convenient UI shortcuts gnome has. Many things
    that I'm used to just doing through the context menu in gnome I can't do
    in KDE4.

    - Konquerer sucks...give me frigging firefox. Yes I realize I can install
    it but man does it look crappy under KDE.

    - There still are a whole bunch of gnome/gtk apps that I don't find
    replacements for under KDE that I like. This is a problem as gnome apps
    look like pure **** under KDE.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    Holz wrote:
    > No comparison.

    Quite honestly I don't see what this thread has to do with Ubuntu.

    Next time you wish to advocate something, please do take it to an
    advocacy group.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  9. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Holz wrote:
    >> No comparison.

    > Quite honestly I don't see what this thread has to do with Ubuntu.
    >
    > Next time you wish to advocate something, please do take it to an
    > advocacy group.

    So which parts of the Ubuntu distribution are we allowed to discus
    johnny? Seeing as KDE is off the agenda, maybe we should play it safe
    and avoid the entire X server layer.

    But then we'll end up in the whole vi versus emacs debate, and who wants
    that?!

    So let's just talk about scripting and utilities, but then we'll end up
    the the SysV/BSD/GNU debate...and who wants that?!

    So let's just play it safe and stick to Linux....which is just a kernel.
    Now THAT'S gonna be REALLY interesting!

    If I want that I'll go join a kernel list....oh wait, I already have!

    Johnny, bottom line, this is Usenet: you don't like what people discuss,
    then chuck them in your killfile.

    Cheers,

    James

  10. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:56:42 +0000, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >
    >> Vance Howard wrote:

    >>> KDE4 is a pig like Windows Vista is. Tried them both, didn't care for
    >>> either.
    >>>

    >> What's going on? :-O

    > KDE is trying very hard to emulate a Windows desktop. KDE 3 looked and
    > acted like Windows XP, KDE 4 is supposed to be like Windows Vista. KDE 4
    > is heavily into the visual effects like Vista is. They are both resource
    > hogs, though KDE 4 is less of one, but still a hog.
    >
    > I used to use KDE 3. I found it was very buggy. I switched to Gnome and
    > haven't regretted it. I did try KDE 4 when it was still relatively new,
    > so maybe they have made a few changes that improved it since then. But I
    > will stay with Gnome.

    Ah right I see. Sod that, I don't like the Windows XP or Windows Vista
    look anyway - and I'm a Windows user of nearly 15 years, until recently....

  11. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    Centurion wrote:
    > Johnny, bottom line, this is Usenet: you don't like what people discuss,
    > then chuck them in your killfile.

    Please; no need to be so dramatic. The OP had no question, wasn't
    passing off any useful information. Look at it, again:

    > Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am gnome
    > user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    What purpose, other than advocacy does that serve? There are advocacy
    groups, you do know that, right? That was all I was suggesting. Now, if
    he had a specific Ubuntu/Kubuntu-related question, then by all means.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  12. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    in 40688 20080327 074645 johnny bobby bee wrote:

    >As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    >glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    >and this we should do freely and generously.
    >--Benjamin Franklin

    You sure that was Ben Franklin and not Bill Gates?

  13. Re: KDE 4, wow!!!

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:40:32 -0700, Holz wrote:
    >
    >> Call the VISTA ****ers and see how you develop the right way! I am gnome
    >> user for years now, and I am so impressed!!

    > KDE4 actually impressed me as well and I don't like KDE3 at all.
    >
    > There still though are a couple things keeping me away from KDE4:
    >
    > - It's lacking many of the convenient UI shortcuts gnome has. Many things
    > that I'm used to just doing through the context menu in gnome I can't do
    > in KDE4.
    >
    > - Konquerer sucks...give me frigging firefox. Yes I realize I can install
    > it but man does it look crappy under KDE.
    >
    > - There still are a whole bunch of gnome/gtk apps that I don't find
    > replacements for under KDE that I like. This is a problem as gnome apps
    > look like pure **** under KDE.

    What the detractors seem to be missing here is that the KDE on Ubuntu
    has never been anything other than an afterthought - it's not a REAL KDE
    platform, just an entry to make a product line look complete. Compare
    Kubuntu to openSUSE, Mandriva or even Fedora... or PCLOS or Mepis to get
    a better feel of what KDE really looks like when integrated into a
    compliant base with a feature-complete package. It rocks!

    The good news MAY be that KDE4 MIGHT get a more serious treatment in
    Hardy, we'll just have to wait and see. But if I only had Kubuntu or
    the kubuntu-desktop meta-package to evaluate KDE, I would hate it too.

+ Reply to Thread