Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How? - Ubuntu ; I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive? I tried this. I took the laptop HD out, put it ...

  1. Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    I tried this. I took the laptop HD out, put it into a caddy that I use in
    my play tower computer. I was able to use a CD to load Ubuntu. I then put
    the HD back into the laptop. All went well during booting until it tried
    to load the X module. I got the B/W screen and it told me to fix X. Yes,
    I know, when Ubuntu was loaded in the tower, it put the tower configs
    into it. But why isn't it smart enough to adapt to another platform? I
    used to do this all the time with Macs; I could move the HD from one
    platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those were the good "Old
    World" days.

    OK, so now I am root on the B/W screen. How do I fix the X module? How do
    I even connect to the ethernet to get an update? BTW, my ethernet uses
    only manual setting for addresses so it can't be done automatically.

    Why do I want to bother? This laptop will make a perfect internet
    appliance and be used only for browsing the internet. No personal
    information on it at all. And if I really want something from it, I'll
    just do a transfer with a flash drive.

    Thanks in advance.

    Al

  2. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    Al (Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
    saying:

    > I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    > and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    A USB CD drive would be easiest. Or network boot.

    > I used to do this all the time with Macs; I could move the HD from one
    > platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those were the good "Old
    > World" days.

    I think you mean "The advantage of using an OS that only supports one
    brand of hardware..."

  3. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    Adrian writes:

    > Al (Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
    > saying:
    >
    >> I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    >> and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    > A USB CD drive would be easiest. Or network boot.

    Since he said "without CD" the USB drive idea is a little out of
    place. How would you configure the network boot or rather install which
    was being asked for?

    >> I used to do this all the time with Macs; I could move the HD from one
    >> platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those were the good "Old
    >> World" days.

    > I think you mean "The advantage of using an OS that only supports one
    > brand of hardware..."

    To the OP:

    login as root full screen and ensure your x11.conf file has the vesa
    driver set for a start. Then you should get X running. Google explains
    this many times over.

    I would be surprised if the correct driver for you ethernet card was not
    there. and just by plugging it in it didnt work.

    When you have X working there are GUI tools to configure your static IP
    setup.

    --
    However, my enthusiasm for the modular tree is tempered by some parts of
    it not existing.

  4. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    Hadron (Hadron ) gurgled happily, sounding
    much like they were saying:

    >>> I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    >>> and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    >> A USB CD drive would be easiest. Or network boot.

    > Since he said "without CD"

    He said "Dead CD drive".

    > the USB drive idea is a little out of place.

    Not at all. It's the easiest way. A USB CD drive is a bloody useful thing
    to have about.

    > How would you configure the network boot or rather install which was
    > being asked for?

    PXE against a TFTP server. The client end's the easy bit, though once the
    server's set up it's useful for all sorts of odds'n'sods. No more
    fannying about with boot CDs.

  5. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    Adrian writes:

    > Hadron (Hadron ) gurgled happily, sounding
    > much like they were saying:

    >>> A USB CD drive would be easiest. Or network boot.

    >> Since he said "without CD"

    > He said "Dead CD drive".

    He said "without a CD Drive" too .... no mention of USB ports.

    >> the USB drive idea is a little out of place.

    > Not at all. It's the easiest way. A USB CD drive is a bloody useful thing
    > to have about.

    I agree. If he had not mentioned "without a CD drive" and HAD mentioned
    he had a USB port. Dont get me wrong - I'm only going on HIS
    requirements. You are right to suggest it - he may well have a USB port
    and possibly can also boot from a USB drive. Few older machines can
    though.

    >> How would you configure the network boot or rather install which was
    >> being asked for?

    > PXE against a TFTP server. The client end's the easy bit, though once the
    > server's set up it's useful for all sorts of odds'n'sods. No more
    > fannying about with boot CDs.

    How can the client use PXE if he has not boot device? There was no
    mention of a bootable floopy drive either.

  6. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    On 2008-03-25, Al wrote:
    > I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    > and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    See my webpage about an identical story and how I resolved it.

    http://igor.chudov.com/projects/PXE-...all-Of-Ubuntu/

    It worked fine. However, it took quite a bit of time to get all file
    locations just right.

    > I tried this. I took the laptop HD out, put it into a caddy that I use in
    > my play tower computer. I was able to use a CD to load Ubuntu. I then put
    > the HD back into the laptop. All went well during booting until it tried
    > to load the X module. I got the B/W screen and it told me to fix X. Yes,
    > I know, when Ubuntu was loaded in the tower, it put the tower configs
    > into it. But why isn't it smart enough to adapt to another platform? I
    > used to do this all the time with Macs; I could move the HD from one
    > platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those were the good "Old
    > World" days.
    >
    > OK, so now I am root on the B/W screen. How do I fix the X module? How do
    > I even connect to the ethernet to get an update? BTW, my ethernet uses
    > only manual setting for addresses so it can't be done automatically.
    >
    > Why do I want to bother? This laptop will make a perfect internet
    > appliance and be used only for browsing the internet. No personal
    > information on it at all. And if I really want something from it, I'll
    > just do a transfer with a flash drive.

    I think that you are really in a not so bad shape. You have a running
    linux on your laptop, just the X does not work.

    I would post the exact error message from X and also look into
    something like aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg etc.

  7. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:20:27 +0000, Adrian wrote:

    > Al (Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
    > were saying:
    >
    >> I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    >> and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    > A USB CD drive would be easiest. Or network boot.
    >
    >> I used to do this all the time with Macs; I could move the HD from one
    >> platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those were the good "Old
    >> World" days.

    > I think you mean "The advantage of using an OS that only supports one
    > brand of hardware..."

    You're right, almost. PowerTower was not made by Apple. Sigh! But they
    did use Apple ROMs.

    Al

  8. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:56:02 -0500, Ignoramus6291 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-25, Al wrote:
    >> I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    >> and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    > See my webpage about an identical story and how I resolved it.
    >
    > http://igor.chudov.com/projects/PXE-...all-Of-Ubuntu/
    >
    > It worked fine. However, it took quite a bit of time to get all file
    > locations just right.
    >
    >> I tried this. I took the laptop HD out, put it into a caddy that I use
    >> in my play tower computer. I was able to use a CD to load Ubuntu. I
    >> then put the HD back into the laptop. All went well during booting
    >> until it tried to load the X module. I got the B/W screen and it told
    >> me to fix X. Yes, I know, when Ubuntu was loaded in the tower, it put
    >> the tower configs into it. But why isn't it smart enough to adapt to
    >> another platform? I used to do this all the time with Macs; I could
    >> move the HD from one platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those
    >> were the good "Old World" days.
    >>
    >> OK, so now I am root on the B/W screen. How do I fix the X module? How
    >> do I even connect to the ethernet to get an update? BTW, my ethernet
    >> uses only manual setting for addresses so it can't be done
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> Why do I want to bother? This laptop will make a perfect internet
    >> appliance and be used only for browsing the internet. No personal
    >> information on it at all. And if I really want something from it, I'll
    >> just do a transfer with a flash drive.

    > I think that you are really in a not so bad shape. You have a running
    > linux on your laptop, just the X does not work.
    >
    > I would post the exact error message from X and also look into something
    > like aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg etc.

    The error messages are:

    no devices detected
    no screens found

    The monitor is:
    1740CX, ATI Rage XLAGP2

    Funny, but the Ubuntu splash screen looks normal. So why can it do that
    and then bomb just before login?

    Al

  9. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    On 2008-03-25, Al wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:56:02 -0500, Ignoramus6291 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-03-25, Al wrote:
    >>> I recently acquired an older laptop. It's 800MHz, has 10G HD, 128M RAM
    >>> and a dead CD drive. How do I load it with Ubuntu without a CD drive?

    >> See my webpage about an identical story and how I resolved it.
    >>
    >> http://igor.chudov.com/projects/PXE-...all-Of-Ubuntu/
    >>
    >> It worked fine. However, it took quite a bit of time to get all file
    >> locations just right.
    >>
    >>> I tried this. I took the laptop HD out, put it into a caddy that I use
    >>> in my play tower computer. I was able to use a CD to load Ubuntu. I
    >>> then put the HD back into the laptop. All went well during booting
    >>> until it tried to load the X module. I got the B/W screen and it told
    >>> me to fix X. Yes, I know, when Ubuntu was loaded in the tower, it put
    >>> the tower configs into it. But why isn't it smart enough to adapt to
    >>> another platform? I used to do this all the time with Macs; I could
    >>> move the HD from one platform to another without a hiccup. Ahh, those
    >>> were the good "Old World" days.
    >>>
    >>> OK, so now I am root on the B/W screen. How do I fix the X module? How
    >>> do I even connect to the ethernet to get an update? BTW, my ethernet
    >>> uses only manual setting for addresses so it can't be done
    >>> automatically.
    >>>
    >>> Why do I want to bother? This laptop will make a perfect internet
    >>> appliance and be used only for browsing the internet. No personal
    >>> information on it at all. And if I really want something from it, I'll
    >>> just do a transfer with a flash drive.

    >> I think that you are really in a not so bad shape. You have a running
    >> linux on your laptop, just the X does not work.
    >>
    >> I would post the exact error message from X and also look into something
    >> like aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg etc.

    > The error messages are:
    >
    > no devices detected
    > no screens found
    >
    > The monitor is:
    > 1740CX, ATI Rage XLAGP2
    >
    > Funny, but the Ubuntu splash screen looks normal. So why can it do that
    > and then bomb just before login?
    >
    > Al

    I think that the splash screen uses a somewhat different mode from X.

    I would indeed follow a suggestion posted here and do

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

  10. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 16:04:34 +0000, Al wrote:

    >> I think that you are really in a not so bad shape. You have a running
    >> linux on your laptop, just the X does not work.
    >>
    >> I would post the exact error message from X and also look into something
    >> like aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg etc.

    > The error messages are:
    >
    > no devices detected
    > no screens found
    >
    > The monitor is:
    > 1740CX, ATI Rage XLAGP2
    >
    > Funny, but the Ubuntu splash screen looks normal. So why can it do that
    > and then bomb just before login?

    Figure out the PCI bus address of the video device, edit the
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to match.

    'lspci |grep ATI' (might just do a lspci first to get the exact name since
    caps matter)

    Far left numbers (3:00.0 <--example of mine, yours will be different) are
    the PCI address.

    If you have the rest of the xorg stuff installed this should get your X up
    and running.

    Oh and buy a bigger hard drive. You may find 10 gigs won't be enough in
    the future.

    OR,,,you could buy an external USB DVDR/CDRW and install that way and let
    Ubuntu detect the stuff AS LONG as your computer supports booting from an
    external USB drive which is doubtful IMO considering the age. OR you could
    do a PXE boot and download from a TFTP server, google it.

  11. Re: Ubuntu into a laptop with no CD Drive, How?

    Congrats.

    Try xfce instead of gnome, for memory reasons.

    Check the specs of the laptop, it may not take more memory. I have a
    laptop with 265 MB and it would not take any more.