One sound channel? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on One sound channel? - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have seen one similar post to this, so I have a sneaky feeling it's "normal" behaviour... If, for whatever reasons... I have VLC [App 1] open, and I open another VLC (or Firefox or whatever [App 2]), only ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: One sound channel?

  1. One sound channel?

    Hi,

    I have seen one similar post to this, so I have a sneaky feeling it's "normal" behaviour...

    If, for whatever reasons...


    I have VLC [App 1] open, and I open another VLC (or Firefox or whatever [App 2]), only the first App outputs any noise, even if it is stopped or
    paused. Closing the first App does not allow the second App to take over the sound, unless it is closed and reopened.
    This is true of whatever App I use.

    I have installed the gnome-alsamixer but the options don't seem to make any difference.
    The sound card is a C-Media 5.1 sound card, and does what it ought to in Windoze.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

  2. Re: One sound channel?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have seen one similar post to this, so I have a sneaky feeling it's
    > "normal" behaviour...
    >
    > If, for whatever reasons...
    >
    >
    > I have VLC [App 1] open, and I open another VLC (or Firefox or whatever
    > [App 2]), only the first App outputs any noise, even if it is stopped or
    > paused. Closing the first App does not allow the second App to take
    > over the sound, unless it is closed and reopened.
    > This is true of whatever App I use.
    >
    > I have installed the gnome-alsamixer but the options don't seem to make
    > any difference.
    > The sound card is a C-Media 5.1 sound card, and does what it ought to in
    > Windoze.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > TIA



    Slight correction, if VLC is STOPPED it does release the sound to another App (tested with Rhythmbox and Pidgin).

  3. Re: One sound channel?

    Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have seen one similar post to this, so I have a sneaky feeling it's
    >> "normal" behaviour...
    >>
    >> If, for whatever reasons...
    >>
    >>
    >> I have VLC [App 1] open, and I open another VLC (or Firefox or
    >> whatever [App 2]), only the first App outputs any noise, even if it is
    >> stopped or paused. Closing the first App does not allow the second
    >> App to take over the sound, unless it is closed and reopened.
    >> This is true of whatever App I use.
    >>
    >> I have installed the gnome-alsamixer but the options don't seem to
    >> make any difference.
    >> The sound card is a C-Media 5.1 sound card, and does what it ought to
    >> in Windoze.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> TIA

    >
    >
    > Slight correction, if VLC is STOPPED it does release the sound to
    > another App (tested with Rhythmbox and Pidgin).



    Further correction.... Pidgin works anyway! Meh.

  4. Re: One sound channel?

    On 2008-03-24, Cork Soaker hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have seen one similar post to this, so I have a sneaky feeling it's
    >>> "normal" behaviour...
    >>>
    >>> If, for whatever reasons...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I have VLC [App 1] open, and I open another VLC (or Firefox or
    >>> whatever [App 2]), only the first App outputs any noise, even if it is
    >>> stopped or paused. Closing the first App does not allow the second
    >>> App to take over the sound, unless it is closed and reopened.
    >>> This is true of whatever App I use.
    >>>
    >>> I have installed the gnome-alsamixer but the options don't seem to
    >>> make any difference.
    >>> The sound card is a C-Media 5.1 sound card, and does what it ought to
    >>> in Windoze.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >>
    >>
    >> Slight correction, if VLC is STOPPED it does release the sound to
    >> another App (tested with Rhythmbox and Pidgin).



    You might look into "jack audio connection kit".

    OT please adjust the text-width of the news reader you're using to
    something around 72 or so. (Its way to wide, and my newsreader prior
    to posting the reply gave the warning that it is too wide...)

    >
    >
    > Further correction.... Pidgin works anyway! Meh.




    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)


  5. Re: One sound channel?

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2008-03-24, Cork Soaker hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>> Cork Soaker wrote:
    >>>> Hi,
    >>>>
    >>>> I have seen one similar post to this, so I have a sneaky feeling it's
    >>>> "normal" behaviour...
    >>>>
    >>>> If, for whatever reasons...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I have VLC [App 1] open, and I open another VLC (or Firefox or
    >>>> whatever [App 2]), only the first App outputs any noise, even if it is
    >>>> stopped or paused. Closing the first App does not allow the second
    >>>> App to take over the sound, unless it is closed and reopened.
    >>>> This is true of whatever App I use.
    >>>>
    >>>> I have installed the gnome-alsamixer but the options don't seem to
    >>>> make any difference.
    >>>> The sound card is a C-Media 5.1 sound card, and does what it ought to
    >>>> in Windoze.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any ideas?
    >>>>
    >>>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Slight correction, if VLC is STOPPED it does release the sound to
    >>> another App (tested with Rhythmbox and Pidgin).

    >
    >
    > You might look into "jack audio connection kit".
    >


    Hi,
    Thanks for that. I have installed jackd from the repositories but it
    just seems to stop all playback when I use it. :-(

    I'll have to mess about more.

    I have two soundcards on this system and some apps like one, some like
    the other and some won't use either (like Firefox - although it did at
    first).

  6. Re: One sound channel?

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > You might look into "jack audio connection kit".
    >


    Only seems to work if the app wants to use it, and only some apps
    recognise it.

    Nice.

+ Reply to Thread