Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ? - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I have some spare time over the Easter break, so I decided to dump windows and give Ubuntu a try. Its fantastic, but I have one problem. I want to run my office PC as a server, with ...

  1. Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ?

    Hi all,
    I have some spare time over the Easter break, so I decided to dump
    windows and give Ubuntu a try.

    Its fantastic, but I have one problem.
    I want to run my office PC as a server, with an old laptop in the living
    room which is connected to the TV connected as a thin client (I have
    managed to get this working).
    But I can't enable the visual effects (Compiz).

    Is it possible to run the visual effects through a thin client or am I
    barking up the wrong tree ?

    If its possible, I reckon I can get the whole family over to Ubuntu using
    thin client setup, as its so much faster using my office PC as a server
    that using Windows.

    Thanks for reading.

    Paul

  2. Re: Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ?

    On 2008-03-24, paul wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have some spare time over the Easter break, so I decided to dump
    > windows and give Ubuntu a try.
    >
    > Its fantastic, but I have one problem.
    > I want to run my office PC as a server, with an old laptop in the living
    > room which is connected to the TV connected as a thin client (I have
    > managed to get this working).
    > But I can't enable the visual effects (Compiz).
    >
    > Is it possible to run the visual effects through a thin client or am I
    > barking up the wrong tree ?
    >
    > If its possible, I reckon I can get the whole family over to Ubuntu using
    > thin client setup, as its so much faster using my office PC as a server
    > that using Windows.

    So you run X server on your laptop, and X clients (and GDM) on your
    office server?

    Does your old laptop, in fact, support compiz? What is the video
    chipset?

  3. Re: Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ?

    Thanks for the quick response.

    Is I explained, I'm very new to Ubuntu, so please excuse me if I don't
    answer your questions correctly.

    I followed these instructions to set up the thin client:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThinClientHowto#head-
    c9eaeba22bff3224ba796548e4b1a3f45841f639

    The laptop is a compaq presario 2500 with 512MB Ram, Pentium 4 (I think)
    and also ATI Radeon Graphics (Again - I can't be certain because I dont
    know how to find out from Ubuntu).

    Thanks again for your interest in solving my problem.

    Paul

  4. Re: Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ?

    paul wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick response.
    >
    > Is I explained, I'm very new to Ubuntu, so please excuse me if I don't
    > answer your questions correctly.
    >
    > I followed these instructions to set up the thin client:
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThinClientHowto#head-
    > c9eaeba22bff3224ba796548e4b1a3f45841f639
    >

    > The laptop is a compaq presario 2500 with 512MB Ram, Pentium 4 (I think)
    > and also ATI Radeon Graphics (Again - I can't be certain because I dont
    > know how to find out from Ubuntu).
    >
    > Thanks again for your interest in solving my problem.
    >
    > Paul

    dmesg | grep CPU

    dmesg | grep processor

    sudo dmidecode

    --
    John

  5. Re: Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ?

    Hi, John F. Morse.

    I entered the commands you posted, and the results are below, however the
    results are identical on both the Laptop and on the main PC, so I believe
    these aren't actually the laptop details.

    I still cant find any evidence that its possible to enable visual effects
    on a thin client.

    Anyone else have any suggestions ?

    Paul

    paul@paul-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep CPU
    [ 0.000000] Initializing CPU#0
    [ 45.383485] SLUB: Genslabs=22, HWalign=64, Order=0-1, MinObjects=4,
    CPUs=2, Nodes=1
    [ 45.463632] CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 00000000
    00000000 00000000 0000441d 00000000 00000000
    [ 45.463646] CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K
    [ 45.463648] CPU: L2 cache: 1024K
    [ 45.463650] CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
    [ 45.463652] CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 00000000 00000000
    0000b180 0000441d 00000000 00000000
    [ 45.743497] CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz stepping 04
    [ 45.753781] Initializing CPU#1
    [ 45.834033] CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 00000000
    00000000 00000000 0000441d 00000000 00000000
    [ 45.834044] CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K
    [ 45.834047] CPU: L2 cache: 1024K
    [ 45.834049] CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
    [ 45.834051] CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 00000000 00000000
    0000b180 0000441d 00000000 00000000
    [ 45.834407] CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz stepping 04
    [ 45.981932] checking TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]: passed.
    [ 46.001940] Brought up 2 CPUs
    [ 46.688043] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 0
    [ 46.691690] Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1
    [ 48.361747] ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports 8 throttling states)

    paul@paul-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep processor
    [ 0.000000] Detected 3412.427 MHz processor.
    [ 45.383451] Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in
    supervisor mode... Ok.
    [ 45.743593] Booting processor 1/1 eip 3000
    [ 45.834442] Total of 2 processors activated (13837.54 BogoMIPS).
    [ 59.507615] tveeprom 0-0050: audio processor is CX25843 (idx 37)
    [ 59.507617] tveeprom 0-0050: decoder processor is CX25843 (idx 30)
    paul@paul-desktop:~$

    Handle 0x0018, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: COM 1
    External Connector Type: DB-9 male
    Port Type: Serial Port 16550A Compatible

    Handle 0x0019, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: MIDI
    External Connector Type: DB-15 female
    Port Type: MIDI Port

    Handle 0x001A, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Joy Stick
    External Connector Type: DB-15 female
    Port Type: Joystick Port

    Handle 0x001B, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out1
    External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x001C, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out2
    External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x001D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out3
    External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x001E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out4
    External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x001F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out5
    External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x0020, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: Audio Line Out6
    External Connector Type: Mini Jack (headphones)
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x0021, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: SPDIF_OUT1
    External Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x0022, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: SPDIF_OUT2
    External Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x0023, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: GbE LAN 1
    External Connector Type: RJ-45
    Port Type: Network Port

    Handle 0x0024, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: GbE LAN 2
    External Connector Type: RJ-45
    Port Type: Network Port

    Handle 0x0025, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: FireWire 1
    External Connector Type: IEEE 1394
    Port Type: Firewire (IEEE P1394)

    Handle 0x0026, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: FireWire 2
    External Connector Type: IEEE 1394
    Port Type: Firewire (IEEE P1394)

    Handle 0x0027, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Not Specified
    Internal Connector Type: None
    External Reference Designator: FireWire 3
    External Connector Type: IEEE 1394
    Port Type: Firewire (IEEE P1394)

    Handle 0x0028, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: ITE_IDE
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0029, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: ITE_IDE
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x002A, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: SB_IDE
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x002B, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA1
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x002C, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA2
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x002D, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA3
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x002E, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: SB_SATA4
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x002F, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Silicon_Image_SATA1
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0030, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Silicon_Image_SATA2
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0031, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Silicon_Image_SATA3
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0032, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: Silicon_Image_SATA4
    Internal Connector Type: On Board IDE
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0033, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: CD
    Internal Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x0034, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: FP_AUDIO
    Internal Connector Type: On Board Sound Input From CD-ROM
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Audio Port

    Handle 0x0035, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: WIFI
    Internal Connector Type: Other
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0036, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: FLOPPY
    Internal Connector Type: On Board Floppy
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0037, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: CHA_FAN
    Internal Connector Type: Other
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0038, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: CPU_FAN
    Internal Connector Type: Other
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x0039, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
    Port Connector Information
    Internal Reference Designator: PWR_FAN
    Internal Connector Type: Other
    External Reference Designator: Not Specified
    External Connector Type: None
    Port Type: Other

    Handle 0x003A, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCIEX16
    Type: 32-bit PCI-X
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 0
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x003B, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI_1
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 5
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x003C, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI_2
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 6
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x003D, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCI_3
    Type: 32-bit PCI
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 7
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x003E, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCIEX1_1
    Type: 32-bit PCI-X
    Current Usage: In Use
    Length: Short
    ID: 3
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x003F, DMI type 9, 13 bytes
    System Slot Information
    Designation: PCIEX1_2
    Type: 32-bit PCI-X
    Current Usage: Available
    Length: Short
    ID: 4
    Characteristics:
    3.3 V is provided
    Opening is shared
    PME signal is supported

    Handle 0x0040, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
    On Board Device Information
    Type: Ethernet

    Handle 0x0041, DMI type 11, 5 bytes
    OEM Strings
    String 1: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    String 2: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    String 3: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    String 4: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

    Handle 0x0042, DMI type 13, 22 bytes
    BIOS Language Information
    Installable Languages: 1
    en|US|iso8859-1
    Currently Installed Language: en|US|iso8859-1

    Handle 0x0043, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
    Physical Memory Array
    Location: System Board Or Motherboard
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: None
    Maximum Capacity: 4 GB
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Number Of Devices: 4

    Handle 0x0044, DMI type 19, 15 bytes
    Memory Array Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00000000000
    Ending Address: 0x300000003FF
    Range Size: 3221225473 kB
    Physical Array Handle: 0x0043
    Partition Width: 0

    Handle 0x0045, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0043
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM0
    Bank Locator: BANK0
    Type: SDRAM
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: Unknown
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer0
    Serial Number: SerNum0
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum0
    Part Number: PartNum0

    Handle 0x0046, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00000000000
    Ending Address: 0x0003FFFFFFF
    Range Size: 1 GB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x0045
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0044
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x0047, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0043
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 512 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM1
    Bank Locator: BANK1
    Type: SDRAM
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: Unknown
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer1
    Serial Number: SerNum1
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
    Part Number: PartNum1

    Handle 0x0048, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00040000000
    Ending Address: 0x0005FFFFFFF
    Range Size: 512 MB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x0047
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0044
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x0049, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0043
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 1024 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM2
    Bank Locator: BANK2
    Type: SDRAM
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: Unknown
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
    Serial Number: SerNum2
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
    Part Number: PartNum2

    Handle 0x004A, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x00060000000
    Ending Address: 0x0009FFFFFFF
    Range Size: 1 GB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x0049
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0044
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x004B, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
    Memory Device
    Array Handle: 0x0043
    Error Information Handle: Not Provided
    Total Width: 64 bits
    Data Width: 64 bits
    Size: 512 MB
    Form Factor: DIMM
    Set: None
    Locator: DIMM3
    Bank Locator: BANK3
    Type: SDRAM
    Type Detail: Synchronous
    Speed: Unknown
    Manufacturer: Manufacturer3
    Serial Number: SerNum3
    Asset Tag: AssetTagNum3
    Part Number: PartNum3

    Handle 0x004C, DMI type 20, 19 bytes
    Memory Device Mapped Address
    Starting Address: 0x000A0000000
    Ending Address: 0x000BFFFFFFF
    Range Size: 512 MB
    Physical Device Handle: 0x004B
    Memory Array Mapped Address Handle: 0x0044
    Partition Row Position: 1

    Handle 0x004D, DMI type 32, 20 bytes
    System Boot Information

    Handle 0x004E, DMI type 127, 4 bytes
    End Of Table

  6. Re: Ubuntu thin client - Visual Effects possible ?

    paul wrote:
    > Hi, John F. Morse.
    >
    > I entered the commands you posted, and the results are below, however the
    > results are identical on both the Laptop and on the main PC, so I believe
    > these aren't actually the laptop details.
    >

    > I still cant find any evidence that its possible to enable visual effects
    > on a thin client.
    >
    > Anyone else have any suggestions ?
    >
    > Paul

    Paul, my three suggestions were in response to your statement, "The
    laptop is a compaq presario 2500 with 512MB Ram, Pentium 4 (I think) and
    also ATI Radeon Graphics (Again - I can't be certain because I dont know
    how to find out from Ubuntu)."

    My suggested commands were to help you discover your hardware from
    Ubuntu, and not to help with visual effects on a thin client, in which I
    have no experience or knowledge.

    See the pertinent results below, where I've inserted asterisks at each
    end of the lines in the dmesg report. I can't tell what you are using
    for a news reader, but the asterisks might make these lines boldface.

    The first area (dmesg) indicates you have dual CPUs which are indeed
    Intel Pentium 4 and running at 3.40 GHz

    The second area (dmidecode) shows some memory information. I can't see
    where it shows the actual memory though.

    You can find this with the free command, and the amount in kilobytes
    follows "Mem:" under "Total."

    Example of my 1 GB of RAM, showing as 1003580 kB (approximate due to
    reserved RAM)

    john@Wintergreen18:~$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 1003580 992800 10780 0 51688 443504
    -/+ buffers/cache: 497608 505972
    Swap: 1413680 577500 836180

    I know -- the swap is nearly half full. ;-)

    I must have overlooked your video. You can get some info with the "sudo
    ddcprobe" command. Perhaps it will be useful.

    Sorry I can't help with visual effects on a thin client.

    --
    John