Ubuntu Boot Delay - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Boot Delay - Ubuntu ; Hello I am running v. 7.10 - have been trying to find out why it takes ages for this to boot on this fairly recent laptop (dual boot with Vista). The demsg log has a delay of about 90secs (although ...

  1. Ubuntu Boot Delay

    Hello

    I am running v. 7.10 - have been trying to find out why it takes ages for
    this to boot on this fairly recent laptop (dual boot with Vista).

    The demsg log has a delay of about 90secs (although it feels longer) -
    the relevant bits are

    [ 36.118163] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    [ 36.118174] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    [ 126.536768] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
    [ 126.541657] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version:
    0.4

    Not sure what this means, but if anyone can point me to how I can speed
    up the boot sequence, that would be most gratefully received!

    N.

  2. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:33:52 +0000, Norbert Ledt wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am running v. 7.10 - have been trying to find out why it takes ages
    > for this to boot on this fairly recent laptop (dual boot with Vista).
    >
    > The demsg log has a delay of about 90secs (although it feels longer) -
    > the relevant bits are
    >
    > [ 36.118163] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds [
    > 36.118174] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. [
    > 126.536768] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5 [
    > 126.541657] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
    >
    > Not sure what this means, but if anyone can point me to how I can speed
    > up the boot sequence, that would be most gratefully received!
    >
    > N.

    I have a similar problem with my laptop. It takes it 3 minutes and 20
    secs. to boot up. The "splash" screen never comes up and the screen stays
    dark until the login prompt comes on.

    When it first starts the boot process, it just displays 3 lines and then
    I get the black screen. I found that if I push alt F1 just after it goes
    dark, it boots quickly while data scrolls across the screen.

    Dunno if that is your problem, but this is how I get around it. I hope
    it's cured with 8.04.
    Al

  3. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    Al wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:33:52 +0000, Norbert Ledt wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am running v. 7.10 - have been trying to find out why it takes ages
    >> for this to boot on this fairly recent laptop (dual boot with Vista).
    >>
    >> The demsg log has a delay of about 90secs (although it feels longer) -
    >> the relevant bits are
    >>
    >> [ 36.118163] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds [
    >> 36.118174] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. [
    >> 126.536768] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5 [
    >> 126.541657] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
    >>
    >> Not sure what this means, but if anyone can point me to how I can speed
    >> up the boot sequence, that would be most gratefully received!
    >>
    >> N.

    > I have a similar problem with my laptop. It takes it 3 minutes and 20
    > secs. to boot up. The "splash" screen never comes up and the screen stays
    > dark until the login prompt comes on.
    >

    > When it first starts the boot process, it just displays 3 lines and then
    > I get the black screen. I found that if I push alt F1 just after it goes
    > dark, it boots quickly while data scrolls across the screen.
    >
    > Dunno if that is your problem, but this is how I get around it. I hope
    > it's cured with 8.04.
    > Al

    Hello
    Thats a good hint. Functions as described with a thinkpad t42, ubuntu 7.10
    Seems it looks for resume image for 90 secs until it passes on
    Gerd

  4. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    On my T42 using Debian test it usually takes about a minute for a full
    boot.

    Ubuntu often takes 3 minutes, although once or twice just over a minute.
    I also have no idea why. I do not recall SUSE taking that long.

    Generally T42 is plugged in and use sleep>mem and only reboot once a
    week to verify updates or sw between Debian-test and Ubuntu.

  5. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    Norbert Ledt wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am running v. 7.10 - have been trying to find out why it takes ages for
    > this to boot on this fairly recent laptop (dual boot with Vista).
    >
    > The demsg log has a delay of about 90secs (although it feels longer) -
    > the relevant bits are
    >
    > [ 36.118163] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    > [ 36.118174] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
    > [ 126.536768] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
    > [ 126.541657] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version:
    > 0.4
    >
    > Not sure what this means, but if anyone can point me to how I can speed
    > up the boot sequence, that would be most gratefully received!
    >
    > N.

    The truth...urbuttoo is just a piece of crap.
    Simple huh?
    Frank

  6. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    Frank wrote:
    > Norbert Ledt wrote:
    >
    > The truth...urbuttoo is just a piece of crap.
    > Simple huh?
    > Frank

    I was a big iron programmer in 1970, a user of OS/2 and Windows from the
    beginning (and PCs before PCs) and then various versions of LINUX. ALL
    had problems, but now I find UBUNTU is very satisfactory and use it most
    of the time, though I keep Debian-test as a backup environment (multiple
    boot). Even the first Thinkpad (also my first) had WinJunk, OS/2, and
    RedHat on it - hard to believe but I did it.

  7. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    Frank wrote:

    > The truth...urbuttoo is just a piece of crap.

    That's why nobody is using it. We all use Ubuntu.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  8. Re: Ubuntu Boot Delay

    G> On my T42 using Debian test it usually takes about a minute for a
    G> full boot.

    When I installed 7.10 on the spousal unit's laptop I had a similar
    issue. If memory serves removing bootsplash from the
    /boot/grub/menu.lst resolved it. Search the ubuntu bug list for
    details.

+ Reply to Thread