belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia - Ubuntu ; I've used linux off and on for years. I've got an older PIII notebook that is running really slow so I thought I'd try linux on it. Before I wipe the windows partition decided to boot a live distro off ...

  1. belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    I've used linux off and on for years. I've got an older PIII notebook that
    is running really slow so I thought I'd try linux on it. Before I wipe the
    windows partition decided to boot a live distro off CD just to test it.
    Tried puppy linux and it works fricking awesome!!! Surprisingly puppy runs
    better on my notebook than it does on my wife's vista desktop computer. For
    one thing, puppy can't find my wife's CREATIVE brand sound card for some odd
    reason although it is fully supported by windows vista. But puppy found the
    built-in sound of the notebook automagically. Puppy also boots faster on
    the notebook even though the notebook is really slow.

    Just one problem. To use this older notebook, I need a Belkin F5D7010
    wireless G PCMCIA card to work. Puppy can not find it, tried auto-searching
    for it hundreds of times using the built-in networking setup utility. It
    mis-identifies this card as one of about a dozen different cards and can not
    initialize it. Through google I found someone suggest that it had an
    atherton chipset so I should use the atherton pci driver or something in
    puppy. I suspect that's wrong though, and it doesn't work. There are like
    7 or 8 versions of the F5D7010 and mine is referred to by Belkin as version
    1xxx so I'm not even sure what chipset it is.

    What I want to know is, is there ANYBODY using an F5D7010 with any distro of
    linux? If so, what exact distro are you running, what version of F5D7010 do
    you have, and did you have to do anything extraordinary to get it to work?
    I read somewhere that you can use wrap something to use a Windows driver to
    run the F5D7010 but I'd really rather not go there.

    This is a frustrating issue because I had to do nothing extraordinary to get
    puppy to run on the notebook at all (amazing), but I can't connect to the
    Internet while running puppy. I don't care what distro works as long as I
    can find one that will run the wireless card. Or would it be better just to
    buy a new wireless card? If so, what works good in puppy? -Dave

  2. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    "Dave" writes:

    > I've used linux off and on for years. I've got an older PIII notebook
    > that is running really slow so I thought I'd try linux on it. Before
    > I wipe the windows partition decided to boot a live distro off CD just
    > to test it. Tried puppy linux and it works fricking awesome!!!
    > Surprisingly puppy runs better on my notebook than it does on my
    > wife's vista desktop computer. For one thing, puppy can't find my
    > wife's CREATIVE brand sound card for some odd reason although it is
    > fully supported by windows vista. But puppy found the built-in sound
    > of the notebook automagically. Puppy also boots faster on the
    > notebook even though the notebook is really slow.

    So lets get this straight - Puppy is awesome because it does not
    recognise the HW on a new machine, but does on a 9 year old PIII system?

    This is surprising in what way?

    > Just one problem. To use this older notebook, I need a Belkin F5D7010
    > wireless G PCMCIA card to work. Puppy can not find it, tried
    > auto-searching for it hundreds of times using the built-in networking
    > setup utility. It mis-identifies this card as one of about a dozen
    > different cards and can not initialize it. Through google I found

    Aha. So not so awesome .. :-;

    > someone suggest that it had an atherton chipset so I should use the
    > atherton pci driver or something in puppy. I suspect that's wrong
    > though, and it doesn't work. There are like 7 or 8 versions of the
    > F5D7010 and mine is referred to by Belkin as version 1xxx so I'm not
    > even sure what chipset it is.
    >
    > What I want to know is, is there ANYBODY using an F5D7010 with any
    > distro of linux? If so, what exact distro are you running, what
    > version of F5D7010 do you have, and did you have to do anything
    > extraordinary to get it to work? I read somewhere that you can use
    > wrap something to use a Windows driver to run the F5D7010 but I'd
    > really rather not go there.
    >
    > This is a frustrating issue because I had to do nothing extraordinary
    > to get puppy to run on the notebook at all (amazing), but I can't

    Why do you find this amazing? FWIW, I installed Debian and Ubuntu on my
    Thinkpad X30 and everything just worked : after I replaced the builtin
    wireless card that is!

    > connect to the Internet while running puppy. I don't care what distro

    Which is a pain since you cant install it properly either without
    it. Try a cable to get updates first.

    > works as long as I can find one that will run the wireless card. Or
    > would it be better just to buy a new wireless card? If so, what works
    > good in puppy? -Dave

    I paid about 15 euro for a second hand Intel Wireless Pro 2200
    bg. "Works for me".

  3. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    Hadron schreef:
    > "Dave" writes:
    >
    >> I've used linux off and on for years. I've got an older PIII notebook
    >> that is running really slow so I thought I'd try linux on it. Before
    >> I wipe the windows partition decided to boot a live distro off CD just
    >> to test it. Tried puppy linux and it works fricking awesome!!!

    Excellent!

    Manufacturers of wireless cards are among the most stubborn when it
    comes to making available Linux drivers.
    In this particular case you're probably best off to take your laptop to
    the shop and try what they have.

    An alternative, I found that Knoppix is a live CD with lots of hardware
    support, you might want to try running it on this laptop and see if it
    recognises the card.

  4. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:41:15 -0400, Dave wrote:

    > I've used linux off and on for years. I've got an older PIII notebook
    > that is running really slow so I thought I'd try linux on it. Before I
    > wipe the windows partition decided to boot a live distro off CD just to
    > test it. Tried puppy linux and it works fricking awesome!!!
    > Surprisingly puppy runs better on my notebook than it does on my wife's
    > vista desktop computer. For one thing, puppy can't find my wife's
    > CREATIVE brand sound card for some odd reason although it is fully
    > supported by windows vista. But puppy found the built-in sound of the
    > notebook automagically. Puppy also boots faster on the notebook even
    > though the notebook is really slow.
    >
    > Just one problem. To use this older notebook, I need a Belkin F5D7010
    > wireless G PCMCIA card to work. Puppy can not find it, tried
    > auto-searching for it hundreds of times using the built-in networking
    > setup utility. It mis-identifies this card as one of about a dozen
    > different cards and can not initialize it. Through google I found
    > someone suggest that it had an atherton chipset so I should use the
    > atherton pci driver or something in puppy. I suspect that's wrong
    > though, and it doesn't work. There are like 7 or 8 versions of the
    > F5D7010 and mine is referred to by Belkin as version 1xxx so I'm not
    > even sure what chipset it is.
    >
    > What I want to know is, is there ANYBODY using an F5D7010 with any
    > distro of linux? If so, what exact distro are you running, what version
    > of F5D7010 do you have, and did you have to do anything extraordinary to
    > get it to work? I read somewhere that you can use wrap something to use
    > a Windows driver to run the F5D7010 but I'd really rather not go there.
    >
    > This is a frustrating issue because I had to do nothing extraordinary to
    > get puppy to run on the notebook at all (amazing), but I can't connect
    > to the Internet while running puppy. I don't care what distro works as
    > long as I can find one that will run the wireless card. Or would it be
    > better just to buy a new wireless card? If so, what works good in
    > puppy? -Dave

    I last had an F5D7010 working with ndiswrapper on Ubuntu 6.10. When I
    upgraded to 7.04, I could not get it to work - tried everything. Finally
    got a Dlink WNA-2330 (Atheros chipset instead of Broadcomm) and it works
    flawlessly with mad-wifi.

  5. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    > Excellent!
    >
    > Manufacturers of wireless cards are among the most stubborn when it
    > comes to making available Linux drivers.
    > In this particular case you're probably best off to take your laptop to
    > the shop and try what they have.
    >
    > An alternative, I found that Knoppix is a live CD with lots of hardware
    > support, you might want to try running it on this laptop and see if it
    > recognises the card.

    OK I'll try knoppix later. Thanks, -Dave

  6. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    > I last had an F5D7010 working with ndiswrapper on Ubuntu 6.10. When I
    > upgraded to 7.04, I could not get it to work - tried everything. Finally
    > got a Dlink WNA-2330 (Atheros chipset instead of Broadcomm) and it works
    > flawlessly with mad-wifi.

    OK I'm going to try knoppix first but if that doesn't work, what is
    mad-wifi? -Dave

  7. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:22:01 -0400, Dave wrote:

    >> I last had an F5D7010 working with ndiswrapper on Ubuntu 6.10. When I
    >> upgraded to 7.04, I could not get it to work - tried everything.
    >> Finally got a Dlink WNA-2330 (Atheros chipset instead of Broadcomm) and
    >> it works flawlessly with mad-wifi.

    > OK I'm going to try knoppix first but if that doesn't work, what is
    > mad-wifi? -Dave

    It's a Linux wireless app. It runs Atheros wireless cards.

  8. Re: belkin f5d7010 wireless pcmcia

    >> OK I'm going to try knoppix first but if that doesn't work, what is
    >> mad-wifi? -Dave

    > It's a Linux wireless app. It runs Atheros wireless cards.

    OK, thanks. -Dave

+ Reply to Thread