Ubuntu live disk just stops... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu live disk just stops... - Ubuntu ; I know it's a good disk because it's the one I used to install Ubuntu on my parents' computers. But in my system, the monitor just goes into sleep mode, and nothing happens. There were a couple of lines of ...

  1. Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    I know it's a good disk because it's the one I used to install Ubuntu
    on my parents' computers. But in my system, the monitor just goes
    into sleep mode, and nothing happens. There were a couple of lines of
    text, two at the bottom, then one at the top, but they disappear so
    fast that I can't read them. I should mention that this is after I
    select run or install on the menu; i've tried both regular and safe
    graphics mode.

  2. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    Todd wrote:
    > I know it's a good disk because it's the one I used to install Ubuntu
    > on my parents' computers. But in my system, the monitor just goes
    > into sleep mode, and nothing happens. There were a couple of lines of
    > text, two at the bottom, then one at the top, but they disappear so
    > fast that I can't read them. I should mention that this is after I
    > select run or install on the menu; i've tried both regular and safe
    > graphics mode.

    Are you allowing enough time for the installer to load and start?
    Sometimes it can take a few minutes.

    Is this a desktop/tower with a CRT or LCD monitor, or a notebook/laptop?
    You may need to use one or more of the cheat codes, especially if it is
    a notebook PC.

    If a multiscan-type CRT monitor, it might contain a relay to change its
    resolution, and perhaps is not set correctly when Linux is initializing.
    I have see this with ViewSonic multiscan monitors. The solution is to
    try another monitor for the install. Then you can usually switch back.

    Try + several times (on the numerical keypad) to see if you
    can switch resolutions. Then try the reverse adjustment several times
    (-).

    Can you see progress if you enter TTY0 by using the key
    combination?

    --
    John

  3. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    Todd wrote:

    > I know it's a good disk because it's the one I used to install Ubuntu on
    > my parents' computers. But in my system, the monitor just goes into sleep
    > mode, and nothing happens. There were a couple of lines of text, two at
    > the bottom, then one at the top, but they disappear so fast that I can't
    > read them. I should mention that this is after I select run or install on
    > the menu; i've tried both regular and safe graphics mode.

    Is the graphics card an NVidia?

  4. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    "John F. Morse" wrote:

    >Are you allowing enough time for the installer to load and start?
    >Sometimes it can take a few minutes.
    >
    >Is this a desktop/tower with a CRT or LCD monitor, or a notebook/laptop?
    >You may need to use one or more of the cheat codes, especially if it is
    >a notebook PC.
    >
    >If a multiscan-type CRT monitor, it might contain a relay to change its
    >resolution, and perhaps is not set correctly when Linux is initializing.
    >I have see this with ViewSonic multiscan monitors. The solution is to
    >try another monitor for the install. Then you can usually switch back.
    >
    >Try + several times (on the numerical keypad) to see if you
    >can switch resolutions. Then try the reverse adjustment several times
    >(-).
    >
    >Can you see progress if you enter TTY0 by using the key
    >combination?

    I should have mentioned that I can ctrl-alt-del and reboot the system,
    and I think that once I get to this point in the Linux boot process,
    that key combination is disabled.

  5. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    djp wrote:

    >Is the graphics card an NVidia?

    Nvidia graphics card; motherboard is brand new Gigabyte manufacture,
    Nvidia 570 chip set based system. I'm concerned that the motherboard
    is too new for Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. I was able to set up the later,
    but i could never get the resolution set above 800x600.

  6. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    Todd wrote:

    >>Is the graphics card an NVidia?

    > Nvidia graphics card; motherboard is brand new Gigabyte manufacture,
    > Nvidia 570 chip set based system. *I'm concerned that the motherboard
    > is too new for Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. *I was able to set up the later,
    > but i could never get the resolution set above 800x600.

    And you've already tried the Safe Graphics mode? Because I would expect that
    that would always work. And have you removed a few options from the boot of
    the Safe Grafphics mode, like splash and quiet? And eventually you could
    play with the magic boot options like ' irqpoll, noapic, acpi=off'.

    de Kameel

  7. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    Todd wrote:

    > I wrote:
    >
    > > > I know it's a good disk because it's the one I used to install Ubuntu
    > > > on my parents' computers. But in my system, the monitor just goes
    > > > into sleep mode, and nothing happens. There were a couple of lines of
    > > > text, two at the bottom, then one at the top, but they disappear so
    > > > fast that I can't read them. I should mention that this is after I
    > > > select run or install on the menu; i've tried both regular and safe
    > > > graphics mode.

    > > Is the graphics card an NVidia?

    > Nvidia graphics card; motherboard is brand new Gigabyte manufacture,
    > Nvidia 570 chip set based system. I'm concerned that the motherboard is
    > too new for Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. I was able to set up the later, but i
    > could never get the resolution set above 800x600.

    My laptop has NVidia graphics and could not run the Ubuntu live CD, if it
    did actually get as far as the desktop it would freeze on the first or
    second mouse click. Googling showed there is a problem with Ubuntu Gnome and
    NVidia.

    What worked for me was to install XUbuntu, xfce desktop. Immediately that
    was installed it offered a restricted graphics driver which was duly
    installed and the machine restarted. I was then able to install the
    ubuntu-desktop with Synaptic, the gnome desktop now works.

    An upside to this is that I can use either xfce or gnome, gnome is the nicer
    environment but can be slow, xfce is faster but does not directly see
    network places.

    Perversely my other laptop, ATI graphics, would have nothing to do with
    XUbuntu or KUbuntu but was quite happy with Ubuntu.

    I did not have much luck with PCLinuxOS on the NVidia machine either.

    djp.

  8. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    djp wrote:

    > My laptop has NVidia graphics and could not run the Ubuntu live CD, if it
    > did actually get as far as the desktop it would freeze on the first or
    > second mouse click. Googling showed there is a problem with Ubuntu Gnome
    > and NVidia.

    I can *not* confirm that: Ubuntu runs without any problems on my system with
    Nvidia graphics card.

    de Kameel

  9. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    de Kameel wrote:

    > djp wrote:
    >
    > > My laptop has NVidia graphics and could not run the Ubuntu live CD, if
    > > it did actually get as far as the desktop it would freeze on the first
    > > or second mouse click. Googling showed there is a problem with Ubuntu
    > > Gnome and NVidia.

    > I can *not* confirm that: Ubuntu runs without any problems on my system
    > with Nvidia graphics card.

    Not all NVidia cards show the problem. I did see a list while googling this
    issue, my card was on the list.

    I have NVidia GeForce 8600M GT in this laptop.

    The key to success here was nvidia-glx-new.

    djp.

  10. Re: Ubuntu live disk just stops...

    Todd wrote:
    > I wrote:
    >
    >>> I know it's a good disk because it's the one I used to install Ubuntu on
    >>> my parents' computers. But in my system, the monitor just goes into sleep
    >>> mode, and nothing happens. There were a couple of lines of text, two at
    >>> the bottom, then one at the top, but they disappear so fast that I can't
    >>> read them. I should mention that this is after I select run or install on
    >>> the menu; i've tried both regular and safe graphics mode.

    > djp wrote:
    >
    >> Is the graphics card an NVidia?

    > Nvidia graphics card; motherboard is brand new Gigabyte manufacture,
    > Nvidia 570 chip set based system. I'm concerned that the motherboard
    > is too new for Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. I was able to set up the later,
    > but i could never get the resolution set above 800x600.

    I just went through driver hell with an nvidia 8500GT install on a new
    gigabyte motherboard. I had 7.10 installed before I installed the new
    video card.
    I suggest you remove the video card and use the onboard video to install
    Ubuntu. This is going to install some packages that will have to be
    removed before you can install the correct driver for your card. You
    will need to download NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run from the nvidia
    web site. Then check out the section pertaining to Debian GNU/Linux or
    [K]Ubuntu with Xorg 7.X at this link.

    Shut down the system and install the new card. Bring the system back to
    life.

    You will need to load the kernel source and header files for the kernel
    you are running in order for the nvidia driver installer to rebuild the
    kernel interface. When the nvidia driver installer can find everything
    it needs, the process is painless. (once all the config files for all
    the unnecessary packages have been removed).

    Get into Synaptic and do a search on nvidia. Note all installed packages
    listed. The only ones needed are smartdimmer and xserver-xorg-video-nv.
    Do not use Synaptic to uninstall any unneeded packages! Quit Synaptic
    and open a terminal window. Use apt-get purge package_name to uninstall
    unneeded packages. You need root access or sudo to make this work.

    Reboot your system to safe mode. Be sure to sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    before running the installer. Follow the instructions for installing the
    new driver and let the installer rewrite your xorg.conf file. It will
    make a backup of the existing file.

    When it is all done, reboot your system. You should see an invidia
    splash screen very briefly before you get to the login screen. This
    should give you a warm fuzzy feeling as it means the driver was indeed
    installed.

    Check System->Preferences->Appearance-> Visual Effects. You should be
    running the Extra level automatically.

    Don't give up. It can be done and you will learn a great deal in the
    process.

    Daniel

+ Reply to Thread