Install Disk Failure - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Install Disk Failure - Ubuntu ; I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a decent play computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as the previous owner had mangled the system software. I tried to install 7.10 from a ...

  1. Install Disk Failure

    I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a decent play
    computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as the previous owner had
    mangled the system software.

    I tried to install 7.10 from a bootable CD. I got the message that the
    disk was not bootable. I know it is bootable as it has been used many
    times to install Ubuntu on other units.

    As this unit has a floppy drive, I was able to create a bootable DOS
    floppy using a utility, Powerquest Drive Image 3.0 CD. It found the the
    hard drive and said it was full. I suppose that was part of the disabling
    process. So I know the drive can be recognized and its properties
    discerned. If I use a Windoz boot floppy, it can't find it. It just tells
    me that I need to format the drive, but since it can't see it, I can't
    format it.

    Can I make a bootable Ubuntu floppy so I can proceed? Or is this no
    longer done?

    Is the Gateway configured so it will only boot from a Gateway CD, which I
    don't have?

    Al

  2. Re: Install Disk Failure

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:38:37 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a decent play
    > computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as the previous owner had
    > mangled the system software.
    >
    > I tried to install 7.10 from a bootable CD. I got the message that the
    > disk was not bootable. I know it is bootable as it has been used many
    > times to install Ubuntu on other units.
    >
    > As this unit has a floppy drive, I was able to create a bootable DOS
    > floppy using a utility, Powerquest Drive Image 3.0 CD. It found the the
    > hard drive and said it was full. I suppose that was part of the disabling
    > process. So I know the drive can be recognized and its properties
    > discerned. If I use a Windoz boot floppy, it can't find it. It just tells
    > me that I need to format the drive, but since it can't see it, I can't
    > format it.
    >
    > Can I make a bootable Ubuntu floppy so I can proceed? Or is this no longer
    > done?
    >
    > Is the Gateway configured so it will only boot from a Gateway CD, which I
    > don't have?
    >
    > Al

    Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and give
    it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to prohibit
    the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you BIOS settings
    to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

  3. Re: Install Disk Failure

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:38:37 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    > > I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a decent
    > > play computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as the
    > > previous owner had mangled the system software.
    > >
    > > I tried to install 7.10 from a bootable CD. I got the message that
    > > the disk was not bootable. I know it is bootable as it has been
    > > used many times to install Ubuntu on other units.
    > >
    > > As this unit has a floppy drive, I was able to create a bootable DOS
    > > floppy using a utility, Powerquest Drive Image 3.0 CD. It found the
    > > the hard drive and said it was full. I suppose that was part of the
    > > disabling process. So I know the drive can be recognized and its
    > > properties discerned. If I use a Windoz boot floppy, it can't find
    > > it. It just tells me that I need to format the drive, but since it
    > > can't see it, I can't format it.
    > >
    > > Can I make a bootable Ubuntu floppy so I can proceed? Or is this no
    > > longer done?
    > >
    > > Is the Gateway configured so it will only boot from a Gateway CD,
    > > which I don't have?
    > >
    > > Al

    > Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and
    > give it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to
    > prohibit the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you
    > BIOS settings to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

    has the previous owner mangled up the bois settings too
    and you have no CD-ROM enabled?

    --

  4. Re: Install Disk Failure

    Al wrote:

    > I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a
    > decent play computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as
    > the previous owner had mangled the system software.

    The thing that makes a disk non-bootable is a non-readable track
    0. The bios code reads a particular segment from track 0, uses
    that to establish partitions, and the remainder of the 512 bytes
    read is the initial boot load. Without that, everything fails.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  5. Re: Install Disk Failure

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:22:44 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:38:37 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a decent
    >> play computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as the previous
    >> owner had mangled the system software.
    >>
    >> I tried to install 7.10 from a bootable CD. I got the message that the
    >> disk was not bootable. I know it is bootable as it has been used many
    >> times to install Ubuntu on other units.
    >>
    >> As this unit has a floppy drive, I was able to create a bootable DOS
    >> floppy using a utility, Powerquest Drive Image 3.0 CD. It found the the
    >> hard drive and said it was full. I suppose that was part of the
    >> disabling process. So I know the drive can be recognized and its
    >> properties discerned. If I use a Windoz boot floppy, it can't find it.
    >> It just tells me that I need to format the drive, but since it can't
    >> see it, I can't format it.
    >>
    >> Can I make a bootable Ubuntu floppy so I can proceed? Or is this no
    >> longer done?
    >>
    >> Is the Gateway configured so it will only boot from a Gateway CD, which
    >> I don't have?
    >>
    >> Al

    > Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and
    > give it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to
    > prohibit the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you BIOS
    > settings to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

    A Windoz 98SE disk I had was also rejected as unbootable. It boots just
    fine on another PC.

    Al

  6. Re: Install Disk Failure

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:37:57 +0100, Ryan Weihl wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:38:37 +0000, Al wrote:
    >>
    >> > I picked up a free Gateway solo 1400 laptop. It looks like a decent
    >> > play computer. It would not boot from the hard drive as the previous
    >> > owner had mangled the system software.
    >> >
    >> > I tried to install 7.10 from a bootable CD. I got the message that
    >> > the disk was not bootable. I know it is bootable as it has been used
    >> > many times to install Ubuntu on other units.
    >> >
    >> > As this unit has a floppy drive, I was able to create a bootable DOS
    >> > floppy using a utility, Powerquest Drive Image 3.0 CD. It found the
    >> > the hard drive and said it was full. I suppose that was part of the
    >> > disabling process. So I know the drive can be recognized and its
    >> > properties discerned. If I use a Windoz boot floppy, it can't find
    >> > it. It just tells me that I need to format the drive, but since it
    >> > can't see it, I can't format it.
    >> >
    >> > Can I make a bootable Ubuntu floppy so I can proceed? Or is this no
    >> > longer done?
    >> >
    >> > Is the Gateway configured so it will only boot from a Gateway CD,
    >> > which I don't have?
    >> >
    >> > Al

    >> Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and
    >> give it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to
    >> prohibit the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you
    >> BIOS settings to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

    > has the previous owner mangled up the bois settings too
    > and you have no CD-ROM enabled?

    As I stated above, I was able to create a bootable floppy from a
    PowerQuest bootable CD. So at least that CD is readable.

    Al

  7. Re: Install Disk Failure

    Al writes:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:37:57 +0100, Ryan Weihl wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and
    >>> give it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to
    >>> prohibit the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you
    >>> BIOS settings to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

    >> has the previous owner mangled up the bois settings too
    >> and you have no CD-ROM enabled?

    > As I stated above, I was able to create a bootable floppy from a
    > PowerQuest bootable CD. So at least that CD is readable.
    >
    > Al

    If you re-read the previous posters reply you will see he is not asking
    you about whether it is readable. He is asking you whether the CD ROM is
    *enabled for booting* in the system's BIOS. It would appear not since
    you say the the Ubuntu live disk can not be booted from, but your CD
    drive does indeed work. It's not quite clear from what you say above as
    whether this might be the issue.

    --
    Are we going to make an emacs out of apt?
    APT - Debian in a program. It even does your laundry

  8. Re: Install Disk Failure

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:32:40 +0000, Al wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:37:57 +0100, Ryan Weihl wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and
    >>> give it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to
    >>> prohibit the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you
    >>> BIOS settings to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

    >> has the previous owner mangled up the bois settings too
    >> and you have no CD-ROM enabled?

    > As I stated above, I was able to create a bootable floppy from a
    > PowerQuest bootable CD. So at least that CD is readable.

    What EXACTLY do you get for an error or any other message when you try to
    boot from a cd?

  9. Re: Install Disk Failure

    Al wrote:

    >> Can you try another bootable cd on it? Make a bootable GRUB disc and
    >> give it a try. I have never seen a PC that was factory configured to
    >> prohibit the booting of alternate operating systems. Also check you BIOS
    >> settings to insure the drive is first in the boot order.

    > A Windoz 98SE disk I had was also rejected as unbootable. It boots just
    > fine on another PC.

    Still there is no answer to the question of BIOS setup.
    It is not enough that the CD drive is working to make it a bootable device.
    It is also necessary that the BIOS is instructed to use it for boot.

    In the BIOS (or setup, usually accessed by pressing DEL during the first
    screen of boot) there is a menu
    for establishing the boot devices. This contains normally 3 voices:
    1)Floppy
    2)CD-ROM
    3)HD
    but can be changed. If e.g. they have been changed (let's say) this way:
    1)Floppy
    2)USB-Disk
    3)HD
    your PC will never boot from IDE CD-ROM unless you change that BIOS setup.

    B.C.

+ Reply to Thread