eSATA spindown - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on eSATA spindown - Ubuntu ; Anyone know a trick to keep the firmware controlled spindown of an eSATA drive from occurring? Maybe a simple cron task? Didn't see anything in hdparm. The bus/drive will reset but it takes 40 seconds for the o/s to figure ...

  1. eSATA spindown

    Anyone know a trick to keep the firmware controlled spindown of an eSATA
    drive from occurring? Maybe a simple cron task? Didn't see anything in
    hdparm. The bus/drive will reset but it takes 40 seconds for the o/s to
    figure out it isn't responding then spin it up.

  2. Re: eSATA spindown

    Meat Plow schreef:
    > Anyone know a trick to keep the firmware controlled spindown of an eSATA
    > drive from occurring? Maybe a simple cron task? Didn't see anything in
    > hdparm. The bus/drive will reset but it takes 40 seconds for the o/s to
    > figure out it isn't responding then spin it up.

    In case of a Seagate drive:
    $ hdparm -Z /dev/hd*

    In case of Sata this might be a hint:
    $ sdparm --command=start /dev/sdd

    Check Google for parameters like linux spindown sata, especially in
    connection with Seagate.

  3. Re: eSATA spindown

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:55:02 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Meat Plow schreef:
    >> Anyone know a trick to keep the firmware controlled spindown of an eSATA
    >> drive from occurring? Maybe a simple cron task? Didn't see anything in
    >> hdparm. The bus/drive will reset but it takes 40 seconds for the o/s to
    >> figure out it isn't responding then spin it up.

    > In case of a Seagate drive:
    > $ hdparm -Z /dev/hd*
    >
    > In case of Sata this might be a hint: $ sdparm --command=start /dev/sdd
    >
    > Check Google for parameters like linux spindown sata, especially in
    > connection with Seagate.

    This is a Western Digital MyBook. I'll take another look at hdparm/sdparm.
    The Seagate externals were a problem because they are USB only and
    disappear as if unplugged when they spin down. The sata doesn't disappear
    as EIDE drives are spun down all the time. It just is a pain waiting for
    the drive and the buss to reset.

    Thanks for the hints, that's all I needed

  4. Re: eSATA spindown

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:55:02 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Meat Plow schreef:
    >> Anyone know a trick to keep the firmware controlled spindown of an eSATA
    >> drive from occurring? Maybe a simple cron task? Didn't see anything in
    >> hdparm. The bus/drive will reset but it takes 40 seconds for the o/s to
    >> figure out it isn't responding then spin it up.

    > In case of a Seagate drive:
    > $ hdparm -Z /dev/hd*
    >
    > In case of Sata this might be a hint: $ sdparm --command=start /dev/sdd
    >
    > Check Google for parameters like linux spindown sata, especially in
    > connection with Seagate.

    Looks like the sdparm commands with stop, start, ready, load etc.. might
    do what i need, thanks.

  5. Re: eSATA spindown

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:25:33 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:55:02 +0100, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow schreef:
    >>> Anyone know a trick to keep the firmware controlled spindown of an
    >>> eSATA drive from occurring? Maybe a simple cron task? Didn't see
    >>> anything in hdparm. The bus/drive will reset but it takes 40 seconds
    >>> for the o/s to figure out it isn't responding then spin it up.

    >> In case of a Seagate drive:
    >> $ hdparm -Z /dev/hd*
    >>
    >> In case of Sata this might be a hint: $ sdparm --command=start /dev/sdd
    >>
    >> Check Google for parameters like linux spindown sata, especially in
    >> connection with Seagate.

    > Looks like the sdparm commands with stop, start, ready, load etc.. might
    > do what i need, thanks.

    Set up a cron to do "sdparm -C start /dev/sdb" every five minutes of every
    hour, every day, works like a charm.

    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread