VLC and SMB - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on VLC and SMB - Ubuntu ; It's not really just a VLC thing, it seems to be true of a lot of apps, but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Gnome itself has no problem opening SMB shares, but VLC doesn't see them. Most the shares on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. VLC and SMB

    It's not really just a VLC thing, it seems to be true of a lot of apps, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

    Gnome itself has no problem opening SMB shares, but VLC doesn't see them. Most the shares on the network are SMB or NFS, and Windows VLC has no
    trouble, just this version.

    Anyone see this or is it just me being a `tard?

    Ta :-)

  2. Re: VLC and SMB

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > It's not really just a VLC thing, it seems to be true of a lot of apps, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    >
    > Gnome itself has no problem opening SMB shares, but VLC doesn't see them. Most the shares on the network are SMB or NFS, and Windows VLC has no
    > trouble, just this version.
    >
    > Anyone see this or is it just me being a `tard?
    >
    > Ta :-)

    I don't think it's just you. No.

    You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as

    smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi

    But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.

    Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    with "open with VLC".

    Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    this?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: VLC and SMB

    "Moog" wrote in message
    : Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    : > It's not really just a VLC thing, it seems to be true of a lot of apps,
    but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    : >
    : > Gnome itself has no problem opening SMB shares, but VLC doesn't see
    them. Most the shares on the network are SMB or NFS, and Windows VLC has no
    : > trouble, just this version.
    : >
    : > Anyone see this or is it just me being a `tard?
    : >
    : > Ta :-)
    :
    : I don't think it's just you. No.
    :
    : You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    :
    : smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    :
    : But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    :
    : Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    : worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    : with "open with VLC".
    :
    : Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    : mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    : this?
    :
    : --
    : Moog
    :
    : "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    : mashed potatoes"

    I'll mess about more later, I'm back in Windoze at the moment! :-O

  4. Re: VLC and SMB

    On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:

    > I don't think it's just you. No.
    >
    > You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    >
    > smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    >
    > But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    >
    > Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    > worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    > with "open with VLC".
    >
    > Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    > mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    > this?

    Yup. Mount the shares, and all apps can see them as if they were
    files on the local filesystem.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: VLC and SMB

    On Saturday 22 Mar 2008 11:20 Moog licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> It's not really just a VLC thing, it seems to be true of a lot of apps,
    >> but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    >>
    >> Gnome itself has no problem opening SMB shares, but VLC doesn't see them.
    >> Most the shares on the network are SMB or NFS, and Windows VLC has no
    >> trouble, just this version.
    >>
    >> Anyone see this or is it just me being a `tard?
    >>
    >> Ta :-)

    > I don't think it's just you. No.
    >
    > You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    >
    > smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    >
    > But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    >
    > Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    > worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    > with "open with VLC".
    >
    > Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    > mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    > this?

    Yup, was one of the first things I did after migrating to Kubuntu from
    Windows, I have all my multimedia on my server.

    The method below works fine for me on 6.10, 7.04 and 7.10

    hth

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  6. Re: VLC and SMB

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't think it's just you. No.
    >>
    >> You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    >>
    >> smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    >>
    >> But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    >>
    >> Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    >> worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    >> with "open with VLC".
    >>
    >> Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    >> mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    >> this?
    >>

    > Yup. Mount the shares, and all apps can see them as if they were
    > files on the local filesystem.

    Thanks for that Joe,

    In which case, the OP needs to install smbfs
    $ sudo apt-get install smbfs

    Then edit fstab

    $ gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

    Then add the following (modified to their share of course)

    //{MACHINENAME or IP ADDRESS}/{PATHTO}/{SHAREDFOLDER} /mnt/{PREFERRED
    NAME OF FOLDER} smbfs uid={SMB USERNAME},username={SMB USERNAME} 0 0

    Oh. Just an after thougt. You'll need to do a
    $ sudo mkdir /mnt/{PREFERRED NAME OF FOLDER}
    as well IIRC.

    Is that the way you'd do it, or is there an easier one?

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: VLC and SMB

    On Saturday 22 Mar 2008 13:04 Moog licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't think it's just you. No.
    >>>
    >>> You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    >>>
    >>> smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    >>>
    >>> But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    >>> worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    >>> with "open with VLC".
    >>>
    >>> Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    >>> mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    >>> this?
    >>>

    >> Yup. Mount the shares, and all apps can see them as if they were
    >> files on the local filesystem.

    > Thanks for that Joe,
    >
    > In which case, the OP needs to install smbfs
    > $ sudo apt-get install smbfs
    >
    > Then edit fstab
    >
    > $ gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    >
    > Then add the following (modified to their share of course)
    >
    > //{MACHINENAME or IP ADDRESS}/{PATHTO}/{SHAREDFOLDER} /mnt/{PREFERRED
    > NAME OF FOLDER} smbfs uid={SMB USERNAME},username={SMB USERNAME} 0 0
    >
    > Oh. Just an after thougt. You'll need to do a
    > $ sudo mkdir /mnt/{PREFERRED NAME OF FOLDER}
    > as well IIRC.
    >
    > Is that the way you'd do it, or is there an easier one?

    I never got it to work using smbfs iirc, only worked once I used cifs.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  8. Re: VLC and SMB

    >> Is that the way you'd do it, or is there an easier one?
    >>

    > I never got it to work using smbfs iirc, only worked once I used cifs.
    >
    > David

    Partial success...

    Both smbfs and cifs work (I've tried it on multiple shares).
    Sadly, and I can only laugh really, the specific share I was hoping to permanently mount has a space in its name. I've tried both with %20 and the
    old DOS-style ~1 and they just don't like it.

    Now, I can obviously rename the share, but I'd rather not to be honest, as it means changing the "mounts" on all the Windows machines too. Does
    anyone know a workaround?

    Oh, and thanks to this little process I can now correctly "ping" by NetBIOS/WINS name! Woo! Two birds with one stone. :-)

  9. Re: VLC and SMB

    On Saturday 22 Mar 2008 14:44 Cork Soaker licked a pencil and jotted:

    >>> Is that the way you'd do it, or is there an easier one?
    >>>

    >> I never got it to work using smbfs iirc, only worked once I used cifs.
    >>
    >> David

    > Partial success...
    >
    > Both smbfs and cifs work (I've tried it on multiple shares).
    > Sadly, and I can only laugh really, the specific share I was hoping to
    > permanently mount has a space in its name. I've tried both with %20 and
    > the old DOS-style ~1 and they just don't like it.
    >
    > Now, I can obviously rename the share, but I'd rather not to be honest, as
    > it means changing the "mounts" on all the Windows machines too. Does
    > anyone know a workaround?

    Quoting the entire path of the share should do it:

    "//192.168.0.4/share name" or use '

    Or, you can also make more than one share pointing to the same location, you
    don't need to rename it.

    Alternatively, a quick google shows that \040 is the special character for a
    space in fstab (not tried it myself though)

    snip

    HTH

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  10. Re: VLC and SMB

    On 2008-03-22, Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't think it's just you. No.
    >>
    >> You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    >>
    >> smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    >>
    >> But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    >>
    >> Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    >> worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    >> with "open with VLC".
    >>
    >> Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    >> mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    >> this?
    >>

    > Yup. Mount the shares, and all apps can see them as if they were
    > files on the local filesystem.

    Gentle people, Linux requires *any* file system, or partition, to be mounted
    for one to be able to see it.

    It is all to easy to forget this at times. I still do it.

    And yes, the fstab file often needs a wee bit of attention with a text
    editor. If one changes things often. Still fstab is a plain text file.

  11. Re: VLC and SMB

    On Sunday 23 Mar 2008 12:42 Cork Soaker licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    >> On Saturday 22 Mar 2008 14:44 Cork Soaker licked a pencil and jotted:

    >>> Partial success...
    >>>
    >>> Both smbfs and cifs work (I've tried it on multiple shares).
    >>> Sadly, and I can only laugh really, the specific share I was hoping to
    >>> permanently mount has a space in its name. I've tried both with %20 and
    >>> the old DOS-style ~1 and they just don't like it.
    >>>
    >>> Now, I can obviously rename the share, but I'd rather not to be honest,
    >>> as
    >>> it means changing the "mounts" on all the Windows machines too. Does
    >>> anyone know a workaround?

    >> Quoting the entire path of the share should do it:
    >>
    >> "//192.168.0.4/share name" or use '
    >>
    >> Or, you can also make more than one share pointing to the same location,
    >> you don't need to rename it.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, a quick google shows that \040 is the special character
    >> for a space in fstab (not tried it myself though)
    >>
    >> snip
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> David

    > Hi David,
    >
    > I tried the quotation marks "" previously and fstab doesn't like it, but
    > you managed to find what I needed, the lovely little \040 has done the
    > job! I really should have Googled it myself shouldn't I? :-/

    I really must experiment with spaces in my shares

    > Thank you very much, the problem is now resolved! This is the most
    > helpful NG I've ever posted in. I'm usually asking for help from
    > conceited Windoze users who really don't have a clue about reality, never
    > mind anything else.

    Glad to hear that it's all up and running now. This is a brilliant group if
    you ignore the noise. I have had a ton of useful advice from here over the
    last year.

    > The specific device I'm connecting to only lets me add one share name to
    > the folder. It's a NAS device running some variant of embedded Linux.
    > Unfortunately, I can not access the files directly to edit anything and
    > the firmware does not come with any source code (not that I'm a coder
    > anyway!)

    Can you post make and model, just out of interest?

    > Well, this little trip into the unknown (for me) world of Linux networking
    > has made Ubuntu do everything I needed it to. I'm really loving Ubuntu so
    > far, and spending a lot less time in Windows. Of course, I still need to
    > boot Windows for various reasons, and it will always hold a special place
    > in my heart ;-)

    It holds one in my heart too, a dark, cold and nasty part

    > A new convert here!

    Very glad to hear that too, I am still waiting to to find the need to boot
    back into Windows after I "tried" Kubuntu last March I think that last
    remaining bit of NTFS on my boot drive will soon be deleted and turned into
    useful space

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)
    Only the mediocre are always at their best. (Jean Giraudoux)
    (Reply address genuine - Checked occasionally)

  12. Re: VLC and SMB

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    > On Saturday 22 Mar 2008 14:44 Cork Soaker licked a pencil and jotted:

    >>> I never got it to work using smbfs iirc, only worked once I used cifs.
    >>>
    >>> David

    >> Partial success...
    >>
    >> Both smbfs and cifs work (I've tried it on multiple shares).
    >> Sadly, and I can only laugh really, the specific share I was hoping to
    >> permanently mount has a space in its name. I've tried both with %20 and
    >> the old DOS-style ~1 and they just don't like it.
    >>
    >> Now, I can obviously rename the share, but I'd rather not to be honest, as
    >> it means changing the "mounts" on all the Windows machines too. Does
    >> anyone know a workaround?

    > Quoting the entire path of the share should do it:
    >
    > "//192.168.0.4/share name" or use '
    >
    > Or, you can also make more than one share pointing to the same location, you
    > don't need to rename it.
    >
    > Alternatively, a quick google shows that \040 is the special character for a
    > space in fstab (not tried it myself though)
    >
    > snip
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > David

    Hi David,

    I tried the quotation marks "" previously and fstab doesn't like it, but you managed to find what I needed, the lovely little \040 has done the job!
    I really should have Googled it myself shouldn't I? :-/

    Thank you very much, the problem is now resolved! This is the most helpful NG I've ever posted in. I'm usually asking for help from conceited
    Windoze users who really don't have a clue about reality, never mind anything else.

    The specific device I'm connecting to only lets me add one share name to the folder. It's a NAS device running some variant of embedded Linux.
    Unfortunately, I can not access the files directly to edit anything and the firmware does not come with any source code (not that I'm a coder anyway!)

    Well, this little trip into the unknown (for me) world of Linux networking has made Ubuntu do everything I needed it to. I'm really loving Ubuntu so
    far, and spending a lot less time in Windows. Of course, I still need to boot Windows for various reasons, and it will always hold a special place in
    my heart ;-)

    A new convert here!

  13. Re: VLC and SMB

    Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:
    > I never got it to work using smbfs iirc, only worked once I used cifs.
    >
    > David

    After running it for a while, I've found that smbfs is totally unreliable; cifs is the way to go for sure.

  14. Re: VLC and SMB

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    > Thank you very much, the problem is now resolved! This is the most
    > helpful NG I've ever posted in.

    Haven't been to other newsgroups have you?

  15. Re: VLC and SMB

    kmbfha wrote:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >
    >> Thank you very much, the problem is now resolved! This is the most
    >> helpful NG I've ever posted in.

    > Haven't been to other newsgroups have you?

    This is the only Ubuntu NG I found on my server.

    Other than that, the only NGs I've used have been related to Windows, and full of knobs.
    Plus my "local" NGs are full of knobs.

    The Internet is fairly full of knobs these days says I. I concur.

  16. Re: VLC and SMB

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > kmbfha wrote:
    >> "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Thank you very much, the problem is now resolved! This is the most
    >>> helpful NG I've ever posted in.

    >> Haven't been to other newsgroups have you?
    >>

    > This is the only Ubuntu NG I found on my server.
    >
    > Other than that, the only NGs I've used have been related to Windows, and full of knobs.
    > Plus my "local" NGs are full of knobs.
    >
    > The Internet is fairly full of knobs these days says I. I concur.

    Alright Cork,

    Funnily enough, you've just responded to one of this groups resident
    "knobs". But I've got a feeling you already knew that.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  17. Re: VLC and SMB

    Moog wrote:
    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> kmbfha wrote:
    >>> "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    >>> Haven't been to other newsgroups have you?
    >>>

    >> This is the only Ubuntu NG I found on my server.
    >>
    >> Other than that, the only NGs I've used have been related to Windows, and full of knobs.
    >> Plus my "local" NGs are full of knobs.
    >>
    >> The Internet is fairly full of knobs these days says I. I concur.

    > Alright Cork,
    >
    > Funnily enough, you've just responded to one of this groups resident
    > "knobs". But I've got a feeling you already knew that.

    Yeah I guessed :-P

  18. Re: VLC and SMB

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> This is the only Ubuntu NG I found on my server.
    >>>
    >>> Other than that, the only NGs I've used have been related to Windows, and full of knobs.
    >>> Plus my "local" NGs are full of knobs.
    >>>
    >>> The Internet is fairly full of knobs these days says I. I concur.

    >> Alright Cork,
    >>
    >> Funnily enough, you've just responded to one of this groups resident
    >> "knobs". But I've got a feeling you already knew that.
    >>

    > Yeah I guessed :-P

    Thought so. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  19. Re: VLC and SMB

    On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't think it's just you. No.
    >>>
    >>> You can enter the location into vlc and it will find it. Such as
    >>>
    >>> smb:///machinename/folder/share.avi
    >>>
    >>> But. There is no way to browse via the open file prompts.
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, you can do it by configuring CIFS but it may well just be
    >>> worth using Nautilus (Konqueror/Dolphin) and right clicking the file
    >>> with "open with VLC".
    >>>
    >>> Unless someone knows a better workaround. Perhaps a permanent fstab
    >>> mount entry would work in the /mnt folder? Anyone else managed to do
    >>> this?
    >>>

    >> Yup. Mount the shares, and all apps can see them as if they were
    >> files on the local filesystem.

    > Thanks for that Joe,
    >
    > In which case, the OP needs to install smbfs
    > $ sudo apt-get install smbfs
    >
    > Then edit fstab
    >
    > $ gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    >
    > Then add the following (modified to their share of course)
    >
    > //{MACHINENAME or IP ADDRESS}/{PATHTO}/{SHAREDFOLDER} /mnt/{PREFERRED
    > NAME OF FOLDER} smbfs uid={SMB USERNAME},username={SMB USERNAME} 0 0
    >
    > Oh. Just an after thougt. You'll need to do a
    > $ sudo mkdir /mnt/{PREFERRED NAME OF FOLDER}
    > as well IIRC.
    >
    > Is that the way you'd do it, or is there an easier one?

    That's the way I do it, and it works fine. On my laptop, I use the
    same, but also add option noauto and run a script to mount the shares
    when I am connected to the lan...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  20. Re: VLC and SMB

    On 2008-03-22, Baldylocks-Ubuntu wrote:

    > I never got it to work using smbfs iirc, only worked once I used cifs.

    That depends on the server hosting the shares. Win2k servers and on
    use security in samba that don't exist in the linux versions, so cifs
    is the way to go. I am not sure about the desktop OS's, though...