Webhosting - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Webhosting - Ubuntu ; Hey all, anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company? My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately. They "upgraded" their e-mail ...

  1. Webhosting

    Hey all,

    anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?

    My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.

    They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've been
    wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now might be as
    good of a time as any.

    Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    reliable.

    Thanks,

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Webhosting

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >
    > My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    > I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.
    >
    > They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    > seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've been
    > wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now might be as
    > good of a time as any.
    >
    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I've used these guys for years ...

    http://www.cybrhost.com/

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  3. Re: Webhosting

    On 2008-03-21, Stephan Rose wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >
    > My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    > I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.
    >
    > They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    > seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've been
    > wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now might be as
    > good of a time as any.
    >
    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.

    I use www.1and1.com, and have been quite happy with their prices and
    service. They offer a choice of Linux or Windows hosting, and have a
    wide variety of offerings for quite fair prices.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  4. Re: Webhosting

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?

    Hostmysite provide a Linux solution which I use. Reliable and cheap
    enough.

    http://hostmysite.com/hosting/linux/

  5. Re: Webhosting

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:45:58 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >
    > My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    > I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.
    >
    > They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    > seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've
    > been wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now might
    > be as good of a time as any.
    >
    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I've had no issues with netfirms.com - I host three web sites there and
    also do my personal e-mail from my account.

  6. Re: Webhosting

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-03-21, Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >>
    >> My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    >> I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.
    >>
    >> They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    >> seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've been
    >> wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now might be as
    >> good of a time as any.
    >>
    >> Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    >> reliable.

    > I use www.1and1.com, and have been quite happy with their prices and
    > service. They offer a choice of Linux or Windows hosting, and have a
    > wide variety of offerings for quite fair prices.

    I'm another one that uses 1and1. although it is the 1and1.co.uk
    version.

    I've never had a reason to look elsewhere.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: Webhosting

    On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:

    > I'm another one that uses 1and1. although it is the 1and1.co.uk
    > version.
    >
    > I've never had a reason to look elsewhere.

    Hell, I have looked elsewhere, and couldn't find anyone that offered
    as much for as little, that I actually trusted to deliver it...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: Webhosting

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm another one that uses 1and1. although it is the 1and1.co.uk
    >> version.
    >>
    >> I've never had a reason to look elsewhere.
    >>

    > Hell, I have looked elsewhere, and couldn't find anyone that offered
    > as much for as little, that I actually trusted to deliver it...

    Do you use their shared hosting (I do), there is just one thing that
    pisses me off. I have yet to find a way to turn off the
    php register_globals setting.

    This only effects one joomla powered website though and I've yet to
    contact their customer service about it.

    Other than that, I find it superb. The control panel is superb and
    program installation a breeze.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: Webhosting

    Moog writes:

    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm another one that uses 1and1. although it is the 1and1.co.uk
    >>> version.
    >>>
    >>> I've never had a reason to look elsewhere.
    >>>

    >> Hell, I have looked elsewhere, and couldn't find anyone that offered
    >> as much for as little, that I actually trusted to deliver it...

    > Do you use their shared hosting (I do), there is just one thing that
    > pisses me off. I have yet to find a way to turn off the
    > php register_globals setting.

    ..htaccess didn't do it? Don't worry - from PHP 6 its gone anyway. The
    default SHOULD be for it to be off anyway!

    > This only effects one joomla powered website though and I've yet to
    > contact their customer service about it.
    >
    > Other than that, I find it superb. The control panel is superb and
    > program installation a breeze.

    What do you mean by program installation?

    I just set up ssh and use rsync.

    Tell me more!

    --
    Just to expand on what Ross said, it is undoubtedly too much to expect
    of any distribution that it automatically detect whether or not the

  10. Re: Webhosting

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > What do you mean by program installation?
    >
    > I just set up ssh and use rsync.
    >
    > Tell me more!

    Sorry. My terminology was probably a little askew.

    I have a number of cms solutions operating in my webspace. These are
    exceptionally easy to install and configure using the 1and1 servers.

    Not traditional program installation. I was more talking about php
    MySQL solutions that I use.

    Apologies for the confusion.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: Webhosting

    On Friday 21 Mar 2008 23:45 Stephan Rose licked a pencil and jotted:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >
    > My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    > I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.
    >
    > They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    > seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've been
    > wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now might be as
    > good of a time as any.
    >
    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Another vote in favour of 1and1 here. Never had cause to complain.

    David
    --
    Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves, or we know where we
    can find information upon it. (Samuel Johnson)

  12. Re: Webhosting

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:45:58 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?

    GoDaddy has had the best deal for value for me with the VDS line. I've
    been using them for several years, excellent uptime, I can install what I
    need, they have a super friendly web based interface you can use now
    called TurboPanel written in Java running under Tomcat.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  13. Re: Webhosting

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.

    My sites are on GoDaddy. I think they are cheap,
    though it is possible to find cheaper.

    They offer Linux OR Windows. I would give them
    a "yes" on reliability and quality on Linux.

    I would have given them a "yes" on speed if you
    had asked me one, three, fifty, eighty weeks
    ago. But the past four days have not been good
    in the speed department.

    And--a big plus for me--when I call tech support,
    I don't get someone who knows very little about
    computers and assumes I know even less. On Earthlink,
    I got a guy who had no clue what DNS is.

    I hate their cluttered website, but they don't
    force me to make mine that way.

    I've considered switching to one that lets me
    in with ssh, but ...

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/Wes

  14. Re: Webhosting

    On 2008-03-21, Stephan Rose wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >
    > My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    > I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.

    Good, to see. Your desire to leave, for this is what makes competition.

    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.

    Excellent choice, requires only two of the three possibles. You will find
    one, if you pay enuff

  15. Re: Webhosting

    On 2008-03-22, Moog wrote:
    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> What do you mean by program installation?
    >>
    >> I just set up ssh and use rsync.
    >>
    >> Tell me more!

    > Sorry. My terminology was probably a little askew.
    >
    > I have a number of cms solutions operating in my webspace. These are
    > exceptionally easy to install and configure using the 1and1 servers.
    >
    > Not traditional program installation. I was more talking about php
    > MySQL solutions that I use.

    Is this, cms, not becomming the norm? Except for perhaps, the simplist of
    web sites.

    > Apologies for the confusion.

  16. Re: Webhosting

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > anyone know of a good and reliable linux based web hosting company?
    >
    > My needs aren't particularly demanding, but my current provider which
    > I've been using for years has been royally pissing me off lately.
    >
    > They "upgraded" their e-mail servers and now it takes me roughly 10
    > seconds to receive one e-mail. Plus they are a windows host and I've
    > been wanting to switch to a linux host anyway...so seems like now
    > might be as good of a time as any.
    >
    > Note: Not looking for cheap or free. Looking for quality, fast and
    > reliable.
    >
    > Thanks,

    lunarpages.com
    cheap, fast and very reliable.