Two monitors: Ubuntu picks the wrong one... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Two monitors: Ubuntu picks the wrong one... - Ubuntu ; This is on my old system. Sli-capable motherboard, with two cards (identical, but not set to sli), each with a monitor plugged in. Windows uses the card closest to the processor as my main video. It's where I play all ...

  1. Two monitors: Ubuntu picks the wrong one...

    This is on my old system. Sli-capable motherboard, with two cards
    (identical, but not set to sli), each with a monitor plugged in.
    Windows uses the card closest to the processor as my main video. It's
    where I play all my games. I had two monitors plugged into the second
    card, but I took the third monitor for the new system I'm building.

    A few months ago, I got a trojan on the old computer, a real nasty
    little bugger that you have to go through hoops to eliminate. Then,
    apparently, I picked up another one (it may be an extension of the
    first one), and this one was stopping me from connecting to the
    internet.

    So I fiddled around and tried to boot into an NT-based dos prompt, so
    I could delete the offending files manually, but such a critter
    doesn't seem to exist. (I also wanted to see if I could use it to
    access some files that were lost after merging two partitions with
    Partition Magic.)

    My new antivirus, BitDefender, comes on a Linux boot cd. I ended up
    using my Ubuntu install disk. But Ubuntu used the second, smaller
    monitor on the second card, and ignored the primary display.

    On my dad's computer, there's some hardware problem that's keeping the
    monitor from waking up. I thought it might his monitor, so I plugged
    in a second monitor (dual-head card). Under Ubuntu, both monitors
    were displaying the same image.

    So how do I set two or more monitors to display a continuous desktop
    in Ubuntu?

    By the way, is there such a thing as Unbuntu? Or is it just ubuntu
    misspelled? I noticed it in a post, either here or another Linux
    group, so I looked it up online, and several pages came up, but they
    could be just misspellings.

  2. Re: Two monitors: Ubuntu picks the wrong one...

    Todd wrote:

    > So I fiddled around and tried to boot into an NT-based dos prompt, so
    > I could delete the offending files manually, but such a critter
    > doesn't seem to exist.

    Boot from a NT CD and use the recovery console.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_Console

  3. Re: Two monitors: Ubuntu picks the wrong one...

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:50:29 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > By the way, is there such a thing as Unbuntu? Or is it just ubuntu
    > misspelled? I noticed it in a post, either here or another Linux group,
    > so I looked it up online, and several pages came up, but they could be
    > just misspellings.

    Was it by someone named "Frank"?

    It's a misspelling. There is no such thing as "Unbuntu" or some other
    names that some windows zealots like to throw around.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Two monitors: Ubuntu picks the wrong one...

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:50:29 -0700, Todd wrote:
    >

    >>By the way, is there such a thing as Unbuntu? Or is it just ubuntu
    >>misspelled? I noticed it in a post, either here or another Linux group,
    >>so I looked it up online, and several pages came up, but they could be
    >>just misspellings.

    > Was it by someone named "Frank"?

    hehehe...no stephen..."Frank" spells it correctly....that would be
    "urbuttoo"...got it?
    Now go to the "rear" of the class...LOL!
    Frank

+ Reply to Thread