E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error - Ubuntu ; E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1 E: compiz: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured I get this for *most* installs/updates. Everything seems to be ok following the error, except for when I attempt to update gedit, which ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error

  1. E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error

    E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
    status 1
    E: compiz: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

    I get this for *most* installs/updates. Everything seems to be ok following
    the error, except for when I attempt to update gedit, which just fails and
    refuses to install.

    Using Synapse to get the downloads on Gutsy Desktop.

    Any help for a Linux n00b? :-)



  2. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
    > status 1
    > E: compiz: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    >
    > I get this for *most* installs/updates. Everything seems to be ok following
    > the error, except for when I attempt to update gedit, which just fails and
    > refuses to install.
    >
    > Using Synapse to get the downloads on Gutsy Desktop.
    >
    > Any help for a Linux n00b? :-)


    t sounds like you haven't got a repository enabled that offers one of
    the dependencies.

    If you could open a terminal (Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal)
    and type

    $ sudo apt-get update
    (enter your log in password)
    Then

    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    you will probably see some error messgaes. If you can copy and paste
    them and attach to this thread, I, or someone else here will see what
    we can do to help you solve the issue.

    BTW, copying in a terminal window is ctrl-alt-c

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  3. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Moog wrote:
    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
    >> status 1
    >> E: compiz: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    >>
    >> I get this for *most* installs/updates. Everything seems to be ok following
    >> the error, except for when I attempt to update gedit, which just fails and
    >> refuses to install.
    >>
    >> Using Synapse to get the downloads on Gutsy Desktop.
    >>
    >> Any help for a Linux n00b? :-)

    >
    > t sounds like you haven't got a repository enabled that offers one of
    > the dependencies.
    >
    > If you could open a terminal (Applications -> Accesories -> Terminal)
    > and type
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get update
    > (enter your log in password)
    > Then
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >
    > you will probably see some error messgaes. If you can copy and paste
    > them and attach to this thread, I, or someone else here will see what
    > we can do to help you solve the issue.
    >
    > BTW, copying in a terminal window is ctrl-alt-c
    >




    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    gedit
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/799kB of archives.
    After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    ..../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    dpkg: error processing
    /var/cache/apt/archives/gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


    "corrupted filesystem tarfile" - that makes me want to run a chkdsk/f :-P

  4. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > Calculating upgrade... Done
    > The following packages will be upgraded:
    > gedit
    > 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    > 2 not fully installed or removed.
    > Need to get 0B/799kB of archives.
    > After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    > Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    > (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    > Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    > .../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    > Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    > dpkg: error processing
    > /var/cache/apt/archives/gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    > corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
    > dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    > Errors were encountered while processing:
    > /var/cache/apt/archives/gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    >
    >
    > "corrupted filesystem tarfile" - that makes me want to run a chkdsk/f :-P


    Excellent. It should be a fairly easy fix now. And no, you don't need
    to do a chkdsk ;-)

    Again, open a terminal

    Type
    $ sudo apt-get clean

    Then
    $ sudo apt-get update

    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    What this does is remove all your stored .deb files (these are similar
    to .exes in wondows) and forces a re-download of all required files
    from the repositories.
    Apt (the package manager) has marked gedit as available locally and it
    seems like that file is corrupt

    This may work.

    If not, post the output here again.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  5. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Moog wrote:
    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> Reading package lists... Done
    >> Building dependency tree
    >> Reading state information... Done
    >> Calculating upgrade... Done
    >> The following packages will be upgraded:
    >> gedit
    >> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    >> 2 not fully installed or removed.
    >> Need to get 0B/799kB of archives.
    >> After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    >> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    >> (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    >> Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    >> .../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    >> Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    >> dpkg: error processing
    >> /var/cache/apt/archives/gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    >> corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
    >> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    >> Errors were encountered while processing:
    >> /var/cache/apt/archives/gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    >> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    >>
    >>
    >> "corrupted filesystem tarfile" - that makes me want to run a chkdsk/f :-P

    >
    > Excellent. It should be a fairly easy fix now. And no, you don't need
    > to do a chkdsk ;-)
    >
    > Again, open a terminal
    >
    > Type
    > $ sudo apt-get clean
    >
    > Then
    > $ sudo apt-get update
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >
    > What this does is remove all your stored .deb files (these are similar
    > to .exes in wondows) and forces a re-download of all required files
    > from the repositories.
    > Apt (the package manager) has marked gedit as available locally and it
    > seems like that file is corrupt
    >
    > This may work.
    >
    > If not, post the output here again.
    >






    Hmmm, did all that. Sadly, Ubuntu hates me. :-(



    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    gedit
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 799kB of archives.
    After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy-updates/main gedit
    2.20.3-0ubuntu1 [799kB]
    Fetched 799kB in 3s (220kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    ..../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error :
    Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    вки
    ^
    dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of compiz:
    compiz depends on compiz-gnome; however:
    Package compiz-gnome is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing compiz (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Setting up gedit (2.20.3-0ubuntu1) ...

    Errors were encountered while processing:
    compiz-gnome
    compiz
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)



    Tried it twice, same thing.

  6. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    > Hmmm, did all that. Sadly, Ubuntu hates me. :-(
    >
    >
    >
    > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > Calculating upgrade... Done
    > The following packages will be upgraded:
    > gedit
    > 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    > 2 not fully installed or removed.
    > Need to get 799kB of archives.
    > After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    > Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    > Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy-updates/main gedit
    > 2.20.3-0ubuntu1 [799kB]
    > Fetched 799kB in 3s (220kB/s)
    > (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    > Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    > .../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    > Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    > Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    > /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error :
    > Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    > вки
    > ^
    > dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of compiz:
    > compiz depends on compiz-gnome; however:
    > Package compiz-gnome is not configured yet.
    > dpkg: error processing compiz (--configure):
    > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > Setting up gedit (2.20.3-0ubuntu1) ...
    >
    > Errors were encountered while processing:
    > compiz-gnome
    > compiz
    > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    >
    >
    >
    > Tried it twice, same thing.


    OK. We've now got gedit to install. So things are much better, believe
    it or not.

    There is an issue with compiz-gnome. What we'll attempt to do is
    remove all compiz settings and then try again.

    Well start by purging all compiz pacckages that are (or could have
    been) installed previously. Including settings

    Open a terminal and c&p the following in (disregard the $ prompt)
    $ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig

    Once this runs through (and you will probably see a number of error
    messages) we need to re-install compiz

    $ sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager

    If that doesn't work, post the error output of

    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    We're getting there. Don't panic. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror


    >
    > Well start by purging all compiz pacckages that are (or could have
    > been) installed previously. Including settings
    >
    > Open a terminal and c&p the following in (disregard the $ prompt)
    > $ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    > compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    > compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig


    ~$ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    E: Invalid operation compiz


    Hmmmph :-(



    >
    > Once this runs through (and you will probably see a number of error
    > messages) we need to re-install compiz
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager
    >
    > If that doesn't work, post the error output of
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get update
    > $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >
    > We're getting there. Don't panic. ;-)
    >


  8. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >>
    >> Well start by purging all compiz pacckages that are (or could have
    >> been) installed previously. Including settings
    >>
    >> Open a terminal and c&p the following in (disregard the $ prompt)
    >> $ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    >> compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    >> compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig

    >
    > ~$ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    > compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    > E: Invalid operation compiz
    >
    >
    > Hmmmph :-(


    Ouch.

    Sorry....

    My instructions where flawed.

    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugin
    compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig

    You see the "remove". That was Moog's mistake. Apologies.


    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error

    Moog writes:

    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Well start by purging all compiz pacckages that are (or could have
    >>> been) installed previously. Including settings
    >>>
    >>> Open a terminal and c&p the following in (disregard the $ prompt)
    >>> $ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    >>> compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    >>> compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig

    >>
    >> ~$ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    >> compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    >> E: Invalid operation compiz
    >>
    >>
    >> Hmmmph :-(

    >
    > Ouch.
    >
    > Sorry....
    >
    > My instructions where flawed.
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    > compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugin
    > compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    >
    > You see the "remove". That was Moog's mistake. Apologies.


    Always best to double check any "how to" involving sudo. You could bury
    a x-server or similar in there for fun too ....

  10. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> My instructions where flawed.
    >>
    >> $ sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    >> compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugin
    >> compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    >>
    >> You see the "remove". That was Moog's mistake. Apologies.

    >
    > Always best to double check any "how to" involving sudo. You could bury
    > a x-server or similar in there for fun too ....


    One learns from their mistakes, Hadron!

    Heh. x-server. That's funny. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  11. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Moog wrote:
    > Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> Hmmm, did all that. Sadly, Ubuntu hates me. :-(
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >> Reading package lists... Done
    >> Building dependency tree
    >> Reading state information... Done
    >> Calculating upgrade... Done
    >> The following packages will be upgraded:
    >> gedit
    >> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    >> 2 not fully installed or removed.
    >> Need to get 799kB of archives.
    >> After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    >> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    >> Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy-updates/main gedit
    >> 2.20.3-0ubuntu1 [799kB]
    >> Fetched 799kB in 3s (220kB/s)
    >> (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    >> Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    >> .../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    >> Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    >> Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    >> /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error :
    >> Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    >> вки
    >> ^
    >> dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    >> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    >> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of compiz:
    >> compiz depends on compiz-gnome; however:
    >> Package compiz-gnome is not configured yet.
    >> dpkg: error processing compiz (--configure):
    >> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    >> Setting up gedit (2.20.3-0ubuntu1) ...
    >>
    >> Errors were encountered while processing:
    >> compiz-gnome
    >> compiz
    >> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Tried it twice, same thing.

    >
    > OK. We've now got gedit to install. So things are much better, believe
    > it or not.
    >
    > There is an issue with compiz-gnome. What we'll attempt to do is
    > remove all compiz settings and then try again.
    >
    > Well start by purging all compiz pacckages that are (or could have
    > been) installed previously. Including settings
    >
    > Open a terminal and c&p the following in (disregard the $ prompt)
    > $ sudo apt-get --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    > compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugins
    > compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    >
    > Once this runs through (and you will probably see a number of error
    > messages) we need to re-install compiz
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager
    >
    > If that doesn't work, post the error output of
    >
    > $ sudo apt-get update
    > $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    >
    > We're getting there. Don't panic. ;-)
    >





    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-gtk compiz-plugin
    compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package compiz-gtk is not installed, so not removed
    E: Couldn't find package compiz-plugin

    $ sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    compiz is already the newest version.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    python-compizconfig
    The following NEW packages will be installed
    compizconfig-settings-manager python-compizconfig
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 540kB of archives.
    After unpacking 3486kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe python-compizconfig 0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1 [29.1kB]
    Get: 2 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy/universe compizconfig-settings-manager 0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1 [511kB]
    Fetched 540kB in 2s (212kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package python-compizconfig.
    (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking python-compizconfig (from .../python-compizconfig_0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package compizconfig-settings-manager.
    Unpacking compizconfig-settings-manager (from .../compizconfig-settings-manager_0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
    Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    вки
    ^
    dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of compiz:
    compiz depends on compiz-gnome; however:
    Package compiz-gnome is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing compiz (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Setting up python-compizconfig (0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up compizconfig-settings-manager (0.5.2+git20070912-0ubuntu1) ...

    Errors were encountered while processing:
    compiz-gnome
    compiz
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

    $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B of archives.
    After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    вки
    ^
    dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of compiz:
    compiz depends on compiz-gnome; however:
    Package compiz-gnome is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing compiz (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    compiz-gnome
    compiz
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


    No fun at all. :-(

  12. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of compiz:
    > compiz depends on compiz-gnome; however:
    > Package compiz-gnome is not configured yet.
    > dpkg: error processing compiz (--configure):
    > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    > Errors were encountered while processing:
    > compiz-gnome
    > compiz
    > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    >
    >
    > No fun at all. :-(


    No fun, pewrhaps, but we are getting there.

    You now need to allow dpkg to configure the compiz-gnome paackage.

    Once again open a terminal and type

    $ sudo dpkg --configure compiz-gnome

    Any errors, post them.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Moog wrote:

    >
    > No fun, pewrhaps, but we are getting there.
    >
    > You now need to allow dpkg to configure the compiz-gnome paackage.
    >
    > Once again open a terminal and type
    >
    > $ sudo dpkg --configure compiz-gnome
    >
    > Any errors, post them.
    >



    $ sudo dpkg --configure compiz-gnome

    Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    вки
    ^
    dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    compiz-gnome


    Are you sure we're getting somewhere? All I seem to be getting is error after error, and I'm too dim to know why. :-(

  14. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> No fun, pewrhaps, but we are getting there.
    >>
    >> You now need to allow dpkg to configure the compiz-gnome paackage.
    >>
    >> Once again open a terminal and type
    >>
    >> $ sudo dpkg --configure compiz-gnome
    >>
    >> Any errors, post them.
    >>

    >
    >
    > $ sudo dpkg --configure compiz-gnome
    >
    > Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    > /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    > вки
    > ^
    > dpkg: error processing compiz-gnome (--configure):
    > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    > Errors were encountered while processing:
    > compiz-gnome
    >
    >
    > Are you sure we're getting somewhere? All I seem to be getting is error after error, and I'm too dim to know why. :-(


    OK. So. The error gives us the message "Mismatch in line 838".

    Believe it or not, there are only 145 lines in my
    compiz-wobbly.schemas file.

    I'd open it up and edit the offending file

    $ gedit /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas

    Go to the end of the file and delete everything after the entry


    Alternatively,

    Open it up with the gedit command above and paste the following
    "standard" compiz-wobbly.schemas

    ==============





    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/allscreens/options/snap_key
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/allscreens/options/snap_key
    compiz
    string
    <Shift>

    Snap windows
    Toggle window snapping



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/allscreens/options/snap_inverted
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/allscreens/options/snap_inverted
    compiz
    bool
    false

    Snap Inverted
    Inverted window snapping



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/allscreens/options/shiver
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/allscreens/options/shiver
    compiz
    bool
    false

    Shiver
    Make window shiver



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/friction
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/friction
    compiz
    float
    3

    Friction
    Spring Friction (0.1 - 10)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/spring_k
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/spring_k
    compiz
    float
    8

    Spring K
    Spring Konstant (0.1 - 10)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/grid_resolution
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/grid_resolution
    compiz
    int
    8

    Grid Resolution
    Vertex Grid Resolution (1 - 64)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/min_grid_size
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/min_grid_size
    compiz
    int
    8

    Minimum Grid Size
    Minimum Vertex Grid Size (4 - 128)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/map_effect
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/map_effect
    compiz
    int
    0

    Map Effect
    Map Window Effect (0 = None, 1 = Shiver)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/focus_effect
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/focus_effect
    compiz
    int
    0

    Focus Effect
    Focus Window Effect (0 = None, 1 = Shiver)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/map_window_match
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/map_window_match
    compiz
    string
    Splash | DropdownMenu | PopupMenu | Tooltip |
    Notification | Combo | Dnd | Unknown


    Map Windows
    Windows that should wobble when mapped (match)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/focus_window_match
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/focus_window_match
    compiz
    string


    Focus Windows
    Windows that should wobble when focused (match)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/grab_window_match
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/grab_window_match
    compiz
    string


    Grab Windows
    Windows that should wobble when grabbed (match)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/move_window_match
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/move_window_match
    compiz
    string
    Toolbar | Menu | Utility | Dialog | Normal |
    Unknown


    Move Windows
    Windows that should wobble when moved (match)



    /schemas/apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/maximize_effect
    /apps/compiz/plugins/wobbly/screen0/options/maximize_effect
    compiz
    bool
    true

    Maximize Effect
    Wobble effect when maximizing and unmaximizing
    windows






    ============

    Let us know of this works.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  15. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >
    > OK. So. The error gives us the message "Mismatch in line 838".
    >
    > Believe it or not, there are only 145 lines in my
    > compiz-wobbly.schemas file.


    My eyes. When wearing my spectacles, this miraculously turned to 159

    IN the kingdom of the blind....
    ;-)

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

  16. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returned error

    Cork Soaker wrote:

    >
    > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    > Reading package lists... Done
    > Building dependency tree
    > Reading state information... Done
    > Calculating upgrade... Done
    > The following packages will be upgraded:
    > gedit
    > 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    > 2 not fully installed or removed.
    > Need to get 799kB of archives.
    > After unpacking 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    > Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    > Get: 1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com gutsy-updates/main gedit
    > 2.20.3-0ubuntu1 [799kB]
    > Fetched 799kB in 3s (220kB/s)
    > (Reading database ... 115290 files and directories currently installed.)
    > Preparing to replace gedit 2.20.1-0ubuntu3 (using
    > .../gedit_2.20.3-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    > Unpacking replacement gedit ...
    > Setting up compiz-gnome (1:0.6.0+git20071008-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    > /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas:838: parser error :
    > Opening and ending tag mismatch: long line 838 and short
    > вки



    Looks like a bug. To fix it make a backup of the file
    /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas
    then open it as root in your favourite editor (e.g. using
    sudo gedit /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas
    in a terminal window. In line 838 replace with .
    Then run
    sudo dpkg --configure --pending



    Florian
    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature, please! **
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

  17. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Moog wrote:

    >
    > OK. So. The error gives us the message "Mismatch in line 838".
    >
    > Believe it or not, there are only 145 lines in my
    > compiz-wobbly.schemas file.
    >
    > I'd open it up and edit the offending file
    >
    > $ gedit /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas
    >
    > Go to the end of the file and delete everything after the entry
    >


    There was nothing after it.

    >
    > Alternatively,
    >
    > Open it up with the gedit command above and paste the following
    > "standard" compiz-wobbly.schemas
    >



    But that's done it. No more error messages. :-)

    Thank you again. :-)

  18. Re: E: compiz-gnome: subprocess post-installation script returnederror

    Cork Soaker illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> OK. So. The error gives us the message "Mismatch in line 838".
    >>
    >> Believe it or not, there are only 145 lines in my
    >> compiz-wobbly.schemas file.
    >>
    >> I'd open it up and edit the offending file
    >>
    >> $ gedit /usr/share/gconf/schemas/compiz-wobbly.schemas
    >>
    >> Go to the end of the file and delete everything after the entry
    >>

    >
    > There was nothing after it.
    >
    >>
    >> Alternatively,
    >>
    >> Open it up with the gedit command above and paste the following
    >> "standard" compiz-wobbly.schemas
    >>

    >
    >
    > But that's done it. No more error messages. :-)
    >
    > Thank you again. :-)


    No problem fella. Glad it worked.

    --
    Moog

    "If this is gonna be that kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the
    mashed potatoes"

+ Reply to Thread