spamassassin question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on spamassassin question - Ubuntu ; Short background I do some voluntary work at a local school. With help of many local businesses, we were able to obtain about 70 workstations and two old servers. All work station are now running 7.04/7.10, the mail server is ...

  1. spamassassin question

    Short background

    I do some voluntary work at a local school. With help of many
    local businesses, we were able to obtain about 70 workstations and two
    old servers. All work station are now running 7.04/7.10, the mail server
    is an old Exchange 2000 which is running well and has all 400 student
    accounts on it, we have no need to replace it.
    The school, like most California schools has zero budget, and all the
    computer work is done by volunteers (parents). The school has recently
    engaged in a project with few schools in Europe, all the work is done
    via Internet and e-mail. We are using one server for content filtering with
    DansGuardian, superb product.
    now to the final piece.
    My goal: install spamassassin as a mail filter, based on a white list
    only.
    accept the mail from the Internet
    If the sender is on the white list, forward to exchange.
    otherwise
    if it is a 100% spam, delete
    otherwise
    if in question, isolate to a folder where a teacher or assigned
    student can later check.
    Can this be done?

    TIA
    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  2. Re: spamassassin question

    On 2008-03-21, Holz wrote:
    > Short background
    >
    > I do some voluntary work at a local school. With help of many
    > local businesses, we were able to obtain about 70 workstations and two
    > old servers. All work station are now running 7.04/7.10, the mail server
    > is an old Exchange 2000 which is running well and has all 400 student
    > accounts on it, we have no need to replace it.
    > The school, like most California schools has zero budget, and all the
    > computer work is done by volunteers (parents). The school has recently
    > engaged in a project with few schools in Europe, all the work is done
    > via Internet and e-mail. We are using one server for content filtering with
    > DansGuardian, superb product.
    > now to the final piece.
    > My goal: install spamassassin as a mail filter, based on a white list
    > only.
    > accept the mail from the Internet
    > If the sender is on the white list, forward to exchange.
    > otherwise
    > if it is a 100% spam, delete
    > otherwise
    > if in question, isolate to a folder where a teacher or assigned
    > student can later check.
    > Can this be done?

    This can be done, but spamassassin is not the right tool for it. If
    you want to go strictly by a white list that is, then you need
    something else. A simple perl script would work.

  3. Re: spamassassin question

    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-21, Holz wrote:
    >> Short background
    >>
    >> I do some voluntary work at a local school. With help of many
    >> local businesses, we were able to obtain about 70 workstations and two
    >> old servers. All work station are now running 7.04/7.10, the mail server
    >> is an old Exchange 2000 which is running well and has all 400 student
    >> accounts on it, we have no need to replace it.
    >> The school, like most California schools has zero budget, and all the
    >> computer work is done by volunteers (parents). The school has recently
    >> engaged in a project with few schools in Europe, all the work is done
    >> via Internet and e-mail. We are using one server for content filtering
    >> with DansGuardian, superb product.
    >> now to the final piece.
    >> My goal: install spamassassin as a mail filter, based on a white list
    >> only.
    >> accept the mail from the Internet
    >> If the sender is on the white list, forward to exchange.
    >> otherwise
    >> if it is a 100% spam, delete
    >> otherwise
    >> if in question, isolate to a folder where a teacher or assigned
    >> student can later check.
    >> Can this be done?

    > This can be done, but spamassassin is not the right tool for it. If
    > you want to go strictly by a white list that is, then you need
    > something else. A simple perl script would work.

    It can be done by using procmail and spamassassin together. See:
    http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsedViaProcmail

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread