Update anomaly - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Update anomaly - Ubuntu ; I run 7.10 on both my desktop and my laptop. The desktop seems to get updates almost every other day. The laptop seldom gets any updates. Any ideas as why this is? BTW, the desktop is on line for a ...

  1. Update anomaly

    I run 7.10 on both my desktop and my laptop. The desktop seems to get
    updates almost every other day. The laptop seldom gets any updates. Any
    ideas as why this is?

    BTW, the desktop is on line for a much longer time than the laptop.
    Should this matter?

    Al

  2. Re: Update anomaly

    Al wrote:

    > I run 7.10 on both my desktop and my laptop. The desktop seems to get
    > updates almost every other day. The laptop seldom gets any updates. Any
    > ideas as why this is?
    >
    > BTW, the desktop is on line for a much longer time than the laptop.
    > Should this matter?
    >
    > Al

    You can see the daily cronjobs by doing this ...

    cd /etc/cron.daily
    ls -l

    If your laptop is off when this cronjob is scheduled to run then those
    scripts won't be run.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  3. Re: Update anomaly

    Al wrote:
    > I run 7.10 on both my desktop and my laptop. The desktop seems to get
    > updates almost every other day. The laptop seldom gets any updates. Any
    > ideas as why this is?

    If you don't think your system is updating automatically, then:
    System --> Administration --> Update Manager

    Run it, then you are up-to-date.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Update anomaly

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:08:05 -0700, NoStop wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >
    >> I run 7.10 on both my desktop and my laptop. The desktop seems to get
    >> updates almost every other day. The laptop seldom gets any updates. Any
    >> ideas as why this is?
    >>
    >> BTW, the desktop is on line for a much longer time than the laptop.
    >> Should this matter?
    >>
    >> Al

    > You can see the daily cronjobs by doing this ...
    >
    > cd /etc/cron.daily
    > ls -l
    >
    > If your laptop is off when this cronjob is scheduled to run then those
    > scripts won't be run.
    >
    > Cheers.

    OK, the updates to the desktop occur at 9AM EDT or thereabouts. The
    laptop isn't used until perhaps the evening. I'll try the update manager
    thing.

    Thanks!

    Al

  5. Re: Update anomaly

    Al wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:08:05 -0700, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Al wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run 7.10 on both my desktop and my laptop. The desktop seems to get
    >>> updates almost every other day. The laptop seldom gets any updates. Any
    >>> ideas as why this is?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, the desktop is on line for a much longer time than the laptop.
    >>> Should this matter?
    >>>
    >>> Al

    >> You can see the daily cronjobs by doing this ...
    >>
    >> cd /etc/cron.daily
    >> ls -l
    >>
    >> If your laptop is off when this cronjob is scheduled to run then those
    >> scripts won't be run.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > OK, the updates to the desktop occur at 9AM EDT or thereabouts. The
    > laptop isn't used until perhaps the evening. I'll try the update manager
    > thing.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Al

    You can take a look at the schedules ...

    cd /etc
    cat crontab

    You can change the m (minutes) and h (hour) for the cronjob to run for
    the /etc/cron.daily scripts. Set that one or others to an hour when your
    laptop is usually running.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.