Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place" - Ubuntu ; I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with update-manager -d and whether it actually worked. One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver for my domains). It is in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.

    One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    but I would prefer not to.

    Another is a kid's computer.

  2. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    "Ignoramus547" wrote in message
    news:vcydndawwvs7IH_anZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    > update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    > One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    > for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    > but I would prefer not to.
    >
    > Another is a kid's computer.

    Why would you even think about installing alpha software on something
    important

  3. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On 2008-03-20, kmbfha wrote:

    > "Ignoramus547" wrote in message
    > news:vcydndawwvs7IH_anZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    >> update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >>
    >> One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    >> for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    >> but I would prefer not to.
    >>
    >> Another is a kid's computer.

    > Why would you even think about installing alpha software on something
    > important

    I was planning to do it close to release day, or even after.

  4. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:
    > On 2008-03-20, kmbfha wrote:
    >
    >> "Ignoramus547" wrote in message
    >> news:vcydndawwvs7IH_anZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>
    >>> I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    >>> update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >>>
    >>> One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    >>> for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    >>> but I would prefer not to.
    >>>
    >>> Another is a kid's computer.

    >> Why would you even think about installing alpha software on something
    >> important
    >>

    > I was planning to do it close to release day, or even after.

    Two lines of wisdom:

    Warning Will Rogers: DANGER! ;-)

    Ifin it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    --
    John

  5. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy
    > with update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    > One computer where I want to do it is kind of important

    Please don't get suckered into believing "latest is always
    greatest". It doesn't work that way in the Linux world. Unless you
    have some valid, pressing need, it makes absolutely no sense at all
    to upgrade to Alpha release software if the machine is anything but
    a "toy". You *will* have problems.

    In fact, why aren't you running LTS, currently at version 6.06?

  6. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On 2008-03-20, Non scrivetemi wrote:
    > Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy
    >> with update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >>
    >> One computer where I want to do it is kind of important

    > Please don't get suckered into believing "latest is always
    > greatest". It doesn't work that way in the Linux world. Unless you
    > have some valid, pressing need, it makes absolutely no sense at all
    > to upgrade to Alpha release software if the machine is anything but
    > a "toy". You *will* have problems.
    >
    > In fact, why aren't you running LTS, currently at version 6.06?

    7.10 is just fine for me.

    I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

  7. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:40:22 -0500
    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    >I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    >update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    >One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    >for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    >but I would prefer not to.
    >
    >Another is a kid's computer.

    Can you explain the business reason behind the move? Because I have 6
    7.10 servers at work and would like to be aware of any advantages.

    --
    Holz
    :-)

  8. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    wrote:

    >I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    >update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    >One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    >for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    >but I would prefer not to.
    >
    >Another is a kid's computer.

    I tried the "update-manager -d" route, and it was a bit of a disaster.
    I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but I was presented
    with about 400 updates, and so I just installed them. Then, just
    about everything was broken, so I decided to do a full, clean install.

    I downloaded the .iso file, burned it to a DVD, and tried the live
    CD. Seemed to work OK.

    So I did the full install, and it seemed to work OK (except for
    wireless, which is always a problem with Ubuntu).

    I then went through all the steps to get wireless working -- my first
    attempt to reinstall the bcm43xx driver with fw-cutter proved a
    disaster, so I went the ndiswrapper route. A bit more complicated,
    but there is a good How-To on the form.

    Got everything working OK, and then decided to try the 400 updates.
    This time, everything went pretty well, and my system seems to be
    stable. It's also nice to have 56 kbps wireless instead of 11 kbps!

    It must actually be my lucky week -- I also downloaded and installed
    the Vista SP1 update (dual boot systems). It too worked perfectly,
    much to my surprise.

    The only real glitch I had with 8.04 and the 400 updates was the
    installation of a new kernel (2.6.24-12) didn't update
    /boot/grub/menu.lst, so I was actually running the older kernel with
    the rest of the newer updates. Plugging the menu.lst file to boot the
    latest kernel worked just fine. However, it looks as though the
    latest version of GRUB understands a couple of directives that I don't
    recall seeing before, so it took a bit of tinkering around to get GRUB
    to boot the last-used OS by default.
    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  9. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Jay Somerset wrote:
    > So I did the full install, and it seemed to work OK (except for
    > wireless, which is always a problem with Ubuntu).

    No, not always. Mine works out of the box. But I'm sure you didn't mean
    to speak for everyone.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  10. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-20, Non scrivetemi
    > wrote:
    > > Ignoramus547 wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy
    > >> with update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    > >>
    > >> One computer where I want to do it is kind of important

    > > Please don't get suckered into believing "latest is always
    > > greatest". It doesn't work that way in the Linux world. Unless
    > > you have some valid, pressing need, it makes absolutely no
    > > sense at all to upgrade to Alpha release software if the
    > > machine is anything but a "toy". You *will* have problems.
    > >
    > > In fact, why aren't you running LTS, currently at version 6.06?
    > >

    > 7.10 is just fine for me.
    >
    > I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

    All the more reason to regress to 6.06. If you're wise enough to
    follow that path for mission critical implementations the "LTS
    Series" provides a seamless upgrade path.

  11. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On 2008-03-20, Holz wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:40:22 -0500
    > Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    >>update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >>
    >>One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    >>for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    >>but I would prefer not to.
    >>
    >>Another is a kid's computer.

    > Can you explain the business reason behind the move? Because I have 6
    > 7.10 servers at work and would like to be aware of any advantages.

    I do not want to get too behind. All my stuff is easily reinstallable
    with a few scripts. They check out stuff from CVS, install needed
    packages, etc etc, so an upgrade should be easy as far as my setup is
    concerned.

    I have a role system managed by scripts, so for example, if I say that
    a given computer has a role of nameserver, then next night everything
    would be installed properly (bind9, all my configs), and it will be a
    active nameserver for all my domains.

  12. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:59:51 GMT, johnny bobby bee
    wrote:

    >Jay Somerset wrote:
    >> So I did the full install, and it seemed to work OK (except for
    >> wireless, which is always a problem with Ubuntu).

    >No, not always. Mine works out of the box. But I'm sure you didn't mean
    >to speak for everyone.

    Quite right. But I probably was speaking for anyone with a Broadcom
    wireless card, or any other proprietary driver situation.

    Always good to hear from someone who DIDN'T have this sort of problem.
    :-)
    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  13. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message
    > Jay Somerset wrote:
    >> So I did the full install, and it seemed to work OK (except for
    >> wireless, which is always a problem with Ubuntu).

    > No, not always. Mine works out of the box. But I'm sure you didn't mean to
    > speak for everyone.

    I agree, since my early days when I struggled with Ndiswrapper, I've found
    wireless to be quite straightforward in Ubuntu.

    Ndiswrapper is quite solid, the problems are with things like Network
    Manager which keeps screwing up the network profiles. There's a small
    utility called Wifi-Radar which should be mainstream but isn't (don't know
    why), which always gets things sorted out.

    The native drivers are unfortunately always suspect in some way. Ndiswrapper
    has never failed me yet.

  14. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    "Ignoramus547" wrote
    >I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    > update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.

    Yes, I've done it, when it was at Alpha 3, not without problems, as you
    would expect. But it runs, although every system is different.

    I've upgraded in this way with every release since 5, and eventually things
    get sorted it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like a challenge.

    My advice is wait for the official release, but you will learn a lot if you
    take the risk of going earlier. Be warned though, it won't be a smooth ride.

  15. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Euclid wrote:

    > "johnny bobby bee" wrote in message
    >> Jay Somerset wrote:
    >>> So I did the full install, and it seemed to work OK (except for
    >>> wireless, which is always a problem with Ubuntu).

    >> No, not always. Mine works out of the box. But I'm sure you didn't mean
    >> to speak for everyone.
    >>

    > I agree, since my early days when I struggled with Ndiswrapper, I've found
    > wireless to be quite straightforward in Ubuntu.
    >
    > Ndiswrapper is quite solid, the problems are with things like Network
    > Manager which keeps screwing up the network profiles. There's a small
    > utility called Wifi-Radar which should be mainstream but isn't (don't know
    > why), which always gets things sorted out.

    There have been positive reports on a Network Manager replacement called
    Wicd. Learn more here ...

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  16. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:
    > PNon scrivetemi wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> Please don't get suckered into believing "latest is always
    >> greatest". It doesn't work that way in the Linux world. Unless
    >> you have some valid, pressing need, it makes absolutely no sense
    >> at all to upgrade to Alpha release software if the machine is
    >> anything but a "toy". You *will* have problems.
    >>
    >> In fact, why aren't you running LTS, currently at version 6.06?

    > 7.10 is just fine for me.
    >
    > I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

    6.06 is the LTS version. It was released in 2006-06.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  17. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:08:25 -0500
    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > I do not want to get too behind.

    NA...

    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  18. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >> PNon scrivetemi wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> Please don't get suckered into believing "latest is always
    >>> greatest". It doesn't work that way in the Linux world. Unless
    >>> you have some valid, pressing need, it makes absolutely no sense
    >>> at all to upgrade to Alpha release software if the machine is
    >>> anything but a "toy". You *will* have problems.
    >>>
    >>> In fact, why aren't you running LTS, currently at version 6.06?

    >> 7.10 is just fine for me.
    >>
    >> I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

    > 6.06 is the LTS version. It was released in 2006-06.

    He's talking about the next LTS you bozo.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  19. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:40:22 -0500, Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    > update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    > One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver for
    > my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry, but I
    > would prefer not to.
    >
    > Another is a kid's computer.

    I hope it works--I just typed update-manager --devel-release into a
    terminal on my desktop computer and said yes to all the prompts. If there
    are any problems when I get home from work I'll just blow away the root
    partition and install from ISO.

    Note that this just my desktop PC and I have backups of all my important
    stuff. I would never install alpha or beta software on a critical
    production machine.

  20. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:59:17 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >> PNon scrivetemi wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> Please don't get suckered into believing "latest is always
    >>> greatest". It doesn't work that way in the Linux world. Unless
    >>> you have some valid, pressing need, it makes absolutely no sense
    >>> at all to upgrade to Alpha release software if the machine is
    >>> anything but a "toy". You *will* have problems.
    >>>
    >>> In fact, why aren't you running LTS, currently at version 6.06?

    >> 7.10 is just fine for me.
    >>
    >> I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

    > 6.06 is the LTS version. It was released in 2006-06.
    >
    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

    8.04 is also LTS.

+ Reply to Thread