Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place" - Ubuntu ; On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:34:01 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote: > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:59:17 -0500, CBFalconer wrote: > >> Ignoramus547 wrote: >>> PNon scrivetemi wrote: >>> >> ... snip ... >>> >>>> Please don't get suckered into ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:34:01 +0000, jellybean stonerfish wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:59:17 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >>> PNon scrivetemi wrote:
    >>>

    >> ... snip ...

    >>> 7.10 is just fine for me.
    >>>
    >>> I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

    >> 6.06 is the LTS version. It was released in 2006-06.
    >>
    >> --
    >> [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net) [page]:
    >>
    >> Try the download section.
    >>

    > 8.04 is also LTS.

    Except when it's Kubuntu 8.04.

    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/HardyHeron/Beta/Kubuntu

  2. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    jellybean stonerfish wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >>> PNon scrivetemi wrote:
    >>>

    >> ... snip ...

    >>> 7.10 is just fine for me.
    >>>
    >>> I definitely want to upgrade to LTS as soon as it is released.

    >> 6.06 is the LTS version. It was released in 2006-06.

    > 8.04 is also LTS.

    8.04 hasn't been issued yet. Is it going to be a LTS version?

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-20, kmbfha wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ignoramus547" wrote in message
    >> news:vcydndawwvs7IH_anZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >>>I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    >>> update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >>>
    >>> One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    >>> for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    >>> but I would prefer not to.
    >>>
    >>> Another is a kid's computer.
    >>>

    >> Why would you even think about installing alpha software on something
    >> important

    > I was planning to do it close to release day, or even after.

    By then upgrade-manger should do the job. But for anything important i
    would wait until at least 2 or 3 weeks after release if there's no
    important reason to upgrade ASAP. That gives you time to see what
    problems you should expect and how to solve them.

    Florian

  4. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    > update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.

    I've just upgraded to Hardy it seems to work fine, but there's currently no
    sound.

    Michael

  5. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:40:22 -0500, Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    > update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    > One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver for
    > my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry, but I
    > would prefer not to.
    >
    > Another is a kid's computer.

    If it is "kind of important" I would certainly wait for the full release
    - I would not even try with a beta. Actually, conservative that I am, I
    would wait until the full release has been out about a month to see how
    other useres cope.

  6. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    Ignoramus547 wrote:
    > I would like to know if anyone tried to upgrade Gutsy to Hardy with
    > update-manager -d and whether it actually worked.
    >
    > One computer where I want to do it is kind of important (nameserver
    > for my domains). It is in my house so I can fix it if it goes awry,
    > but I would prefer not to.
    >
    > Another is a kid's computer.

    I upgraded to Kubuntu Hardy Beta 1 yesterday... And during this upgrade
    I had a lot of dependencies errors where the 'hal' and 'udev' packages
    played a significant role. And after a while I gave up, and chose
    instead to do a fresh, new Kubuntu Hardy Beta 1 install. I had backups
    of everything so it was quite easy to install, and it is working quite
    good at the moment. But unless you are a nerd (like me) that thrives on
    challenges, I would wait a while... There are still quite a bit of minor
    bugs that need sorting out. The startup install worked quite well, but
    during the customization for my particular preferences I have
    encountered the need for some finetuning.

    So my advise is to wait a while...

    --
    Best regards Jacob Tranholm
    Karl R. Popper: Observation statements and statements of experimental

  7. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On 2008-03-21, CBFalconer wrote:

    > 8.04 hasn't been issued yet. Is it going to be a LTS version?

    Yes, it will. At least Ubuntu 8.04. Kubuntu will not be LTS, as it
    will be using KDE4, and the Kubuntu team is not properly convinced of
    stability...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  8. Re: Upgrading Gutsy to Hardy "in-place"

    On 2008-03-21, Florian Diesch wrote:
    > Ignoramus547 wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-03-20, kmbfha wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Ignoramus547" wrote in message
    >>> news:vcydndawwvs7IH_anZ2dnUVZ_tTinZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Why would you even think about installing alpha software on something
    >>> important

    >> I was planning to do it close to release day, or even after.

    > By then upgrade-manger should do the job. But for anything important i
    > would wait until at least 2 or 3 weeks after release if there's no
    > important reason to upgrade ASAP. That gives you time to see what
    > problems you should expect and how to solve them.

    Just for fun, and since the question had been asked, I decided to do
    the in-place upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy (beta) on my laptop
    yesterday. It worked fine. There still appears to be no support for
    my wireless chipset (Atheros 500x), but just blacklisting that driver
    again brought my ndiswrapper'ed driver back online...

    The jury's still out on how much I like the new version. Everything
    but the wireless did work out of the gate, though...