HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron? - Ubuntu ; I can't find a version of the HFSmodem driver for use with Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). The latest on the linuxant.com website seems to be for the 2.6.22-14 kernel. I tried installing that, but it reported that it couldn't find ...

  1. HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron?

    I can't find a version of the HFSmodem driver for use with Ubuntu 8.04
    (Hardy Heron). The latest on the linuxant.com website seems to be for
    the 2.6.22-14 kernel.

    I tried installing that, but it reported that it couldn't find the
    proper pre-built modules for my kernel.

    When will an up-to-date version be available? Until then, is there a
    workaround so I can use my onboard Connexant winmodem? Like adding
    the older 2.6.22-14 kernel as an alternate boot? If so, how do I go
    about doing that?
    --
    Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

  2. Re: HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron?

    Jay Somerset wrote:

    > Until then, is there a
    > workaround so I can use my onboard Connexant winmodem?

    You could try to download the source files and compile ......

    --
    Marco Brancalion

  3. Re: HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron?

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:40:24 +0100, Marco Brancalion wrote:

    > Jay Somerset wrote:
    >
    >> Until then, is there a
    >> workaround so I can use my onboard Connexant winmodem?

    > You could try to download the source files and compile ......

    I think I would rather go and have a root canal. :-)

    --
    Jay

  4. Re: HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron?

    On 2008-03-21, jay somerset wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 01:40:24 +0100, Marco Brancalion wrote:
    >
    >> Jay Somerset wrote:
    >>
    >>> Until then, is there a
    >>> workaround so I can use my onboard Connexant winmodem?

    >> You could try to download the source files and compile ......

    > I think I would rather go and have a root canal. :-)

    If compiling from source is not something you are willing to do, then
    a pre-release of an operating system is probably not the best move.
    You are best off waiting until the actual release of Hardy...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  5. Re: HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron?

    jay somerset wrote:

    > I think I would rather go and have a root canal. :-)

    I'm sorry: i don't know what a `root canal` is. English is not my main
    language.

    Anyway, in the Linuxant site, anche in the source file itself, there are
    guides regarding how to compile the software. And, in general, there
    are countless websites with instructions and directions.

    In few words: if you can read, you can do it .....

    Good luck, greetings.

    --
    Marco Brancalion

  6. Re: HSFmodem Drivers for Hardy Heron?

    Ignoramus547 wrote:

    > I tried those linuxant drivers and they worked like ****. Sorry to
    > disappoint you. I hope that it will be better for you. Next time I go
    > to mexico, I will buy a USB modem for my laptop.

    I'm using Linuxant drivers since 2 years.... And, ok, in some occasions
    (phone connection drop provider-side) there can be some glitches in how
    they work...... but they work very well (in my opinion and usage).

    They can be restarted, if something goes wrong, in several ways (also by
    removing and readding the kernel modules, with a script or similar).

    In the end, i use them with almost zero problems.
    And, ah, i use to crack them, so i have the full 56k.
    The disclaimer in the Linuxant site, where they explain why their
    drivers are not free, always makes me laugh for its
    stupidity ......

    Greetings.

    --
    Marco Brancalion