Busy CPU - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Busy CPU - Ubuntu ; When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go crazy. CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the hard drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 ...

  1. Busy CPU

    When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go crazy.
    CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the hard
    drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While this is
    going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?

    Al

  2. Re: Busy CPU

    Al writes:

    > When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go crazy.
    > CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the hard
    > drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While this is
    > going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?
    >
    > Al

    Open a terminal and type "top" to find out.

    It might be a host of things. Check your sessions at start set up too.

    menu/system/preferences/sessions

    assuming Gnome.

    --
    < sam> /.ing an issue is like asking an infinite number of monkeys for
    advice

  3. Re: Busy CPU

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:08:53 +0000, Al wrote:

    > When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go crazy.
    > CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the hard
    > drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While this is
    > going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?
    >
    > Al

    It could be anacron running all the tasks that should have run when your
    box was off.

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  4. Re: Busy CPU

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:08:53 +0000, Al wrote:
    >
    >> When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go crazy.
    >> CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the hard
    >> drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While this is
    >> going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?
    >>
    >> Al

    > It could be anacron running all the tasks that should have run when your
    > box was off.

    like rebuilding the index for the "locate" command.

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  5. Re: Busy CPU

    In Josef Moellers:

    [Snip...]

    > like rebuilding the index for the "locate" command.

    Shot in the dark...

    I've heard similar complaints from some folks during Beagle startup, and
    especially on a new install with lotsa homespace trivia to sort out.

    (I'm not even sure if Beagle is installed by default on any *buntu)

  6. Re: Busy CPU

    Harold Stevens writes:

    > In Josef Moellers:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> like rebuilding the index for the "locate" command.

    > Shot in the dark...
    >
    > I've heard similar complaints from some folks during Beagle startup, and
    > especially on a new install with lotsa homespace trivia to sort out.
    >
    > (I'm not even sure if Beagle is installed by default on any *buntu)

    A properly configured beagle should only kick in during idel periods afaik.

    --
    bwah, vodka in my mouse

  7. Re: Busy CPU

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:07:27 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Al writes:
    >
    >> When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go
    >> crazy. CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the
    >> hard drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While
    >> this is going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?
    >>
    >> Al

    > Open a terminal and type "top" to find out.
    >
    > It might be a host of things. Check your sessions at start set up too.
    >
    > menu/system/preferences/sessions
    >
    > assuming Gnome.

    Hey, I just tried it! Neato! I'll do it tomorrow morning when it starts
    up again.

    Thanks.

    Al

  8. Re: Busy CPU

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:17:55 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In Josef Moellers:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> like rebuilding the index for the "locate" command.

    > Shot in the dark...
    >
    > I've heard similar complaints from some folks during Beagle startup, and
    > especially on a new install with lotsa homespace trivia to sort out.

    Used to see this from Beagle in SuSE. I don't know the resolution. I left
    for Ubuntu.

    > (I'm not even sure if Beagle is installed by default on any *buntu)

  9. Re: Busy CPU

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:08:53 +0000, Al wrote:

    > When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go crazy.
    > CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the hard
    > drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While this is
    > going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?

    Could be the automatic update check running in the background. I've had
    that do that to me on occasion.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  10. Re: Busy CPU

    On 2008-03-20, arnold wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:17:55 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> In Josef Moellers:
    >>
    >> [Snip...]
    >>
    >>> like rebuilding the index for the "locate" command.

    >> Shot in the dark...
    >>
    >> I've heard similar complaints from some folks during Beagle startup, and
    >> especially on a new install with lotsa homespace trivia to sort out.

    > Used to see this from Beagle in SuSE. I don't know the resolution. I left
    > for Ubuntu.

    Ms Penguin here. It is simple, shoot the dog. Ms Synaptic will do it.

  11. Re: Busy CPU

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:07:27 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Al writes:
    >
    >> When I first turn on my Ubuntu Box in the morning, it seems to go
    >> crazy. CPU usage stays about 100% and much trashing is going on in the
    >> hard drive. All of this seems to calm down in 5 to 10 minutes. While
    >> this is going on, my browser seems sluggish. What is it doing?
    >>
    >> Al

    > Open a terminal and type "top" to find out.
    >
    > It might be a host of things. Check your sessions at start set up too.
    >
    > menu/system/preferences/sessions
    >
    > assuming Gnome.

    OK, I did it this morning when it was doing its busy thing. It said that
    the cpu was 83% wa, whatever that is. Then that goes away when the
    trashing stops.

    Al

  12. Re: Busy CPU

    ,
    Al writes:

    > OK, I did it this morning when it was doing its busy thing. It said
    > that the cpu was 83% wa, whatever that is. Then that goes away when
    > the trashing stops.

    Means the cpu[s] is/are waiting on some device. This is normally a
    disk. This really affects anything needing to access the device.

    Either you are loading a whole lot of stuff at boot time or your
    system has a serious bottleneck. Is DMA turned on for disk IO?

    --
    Security is one of those funny things. You can talk about being "more"
    secure, but there's no such thing. A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and

  13. Re: Busy CPU

    begin risky.vbs
    <3p6db5x2cm.ln2@dog.did.it>,
    mrloy@bambot.nodomain.none (Roy Culley) writes:
    > ,
    > Al writes:
    >>
    >> OK, I did it this morning when it was doing its busy thing. It said
    >> that the cpu was 83% wa, whatever that is. Then that goes away when
    >> the trashing stops.

    > Means the cpu[s] is/are waiting on some device. This is normally a
    > disk. This really affects anything needing to access the device.
    >
    > Either you are loading a whole lot of stuff at boot time or your
    > system has a serious bottleneck. Is DMA turned on for disk IO?

    I forgot to add, when you have this problem look under the 'S' column
    of top for processes with a 'D'. At least you will then know which
    process[es] are causing the IO problem.

    --
    Security is one of those funny things. You can talk about being "more"
    secure, but there's no such thing. A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and
    even one makes you just as insecure as anyone else. Security is a binary
    condition, either you are or you aren't. - Funkenbusch 1 Oct 2006

  14. Re: Busy CPU

    Subject: Test 0001
    Newsgroups: alt.test.test
    Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:18:21 +0100