Wireless Connection to the Internet - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection to the Internet - Ubuntu ; Hi there I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10. any idea about how ti operate ?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Wireless Connection to the Internet

    Hi there

    I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under Windows
    XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.

    any idea about how ti operate ?

  2. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    > Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.

    I had the same problem with my Compaq R3010 laptop. The builtin Wifi
    card is a Broadcom (May their skivvy shorts be starched with epoxy
    glue!). There is a driver for it in the latest Linux kernels, but that
    driver doesn't include the firmware blob and doesn't support 802.11g, so
    I just stick with the ndiswrapper kluge. Ndiswrapper allows a Windows
    driver to run in Linux. Google around for the chipset in your Netgear
    adaptor and get the name of the .sys and .inf files it needs, dig those
    files out of your Windows partition, and set up ndiswrapper. The first
    place to look is the Ubuntu forum; it's a good bet that someone has
    already solved your problem and posted the details.

  3. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    Sydney wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under Windows
    > XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.
    >
    > any idea about how ti operate ?

    Yes, I bought one of these because they were alleged to be natively
    supported by linux. Versions 1 and 2 were. Version 3 isn't. Which have
    you got? See this for a version three HOWTO.

    http://www.jimbo7.com/wiki/index.php?title=WG311v3

  4. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    > Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.
    >
    > any idea about how ti operate ?

    Use 'lspci' to find out what the chipset is. If it's Broadcomm - junk it
    and try to find an Atheros based adapter. My Dlink WNA2330 works fine
    with mad-wifi - IMHO ndiswrapper is not worth the effort.

  5. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    "ray" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >
    > IMHO ndiswrapper is not worth the effort.

    I disagree, I've got Ndiswrapper to work on 4 different PCS and wireless
    adapters. It's easy and straightforward and there is lots of info around.

    NdisGTK makes installation of the drivers very simple

  6. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:

    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    > Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.
    >
    > any idea about how ti operate ?

    See:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...e/NetgearWG111

    And in general:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs

  7. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:02:04 -0500, Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    >> Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.

    > I had the same problem with my Compaq R3010 laptop. The builtin Wifi
    > card is a Broadcom (May their skivvy shorts be starched with epoxy
    > glue!). There is a driver for it in the latest Linux kernels, but that
    > driver doesn't include the firmware blob and doesn't support 802.11g, so
    > I just stick with the ndiswrapper kluge. Ndiswrapper allows a Windows
    > driver to run in Linux. Google around for the chipset in your Netgear
    > adaptor and get the name of the .sys and .inf files it needs, dig those
    > files out of your Windows partition, and set up ndiswrapper. The first
    > place to look is the Ubuntu forum; it's a good bet that someone has
    > already solved your problem and posted the details.

    See:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CM4311_rev_01_
    (ndiswrapper)?action=show
    http://tinyurl.com/ywvmxp

  8. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:45:55 +0000, Euclid wrote:

    > "ray" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >>
    >> IMHO ndiswrapper is not worth the effort.

    > I disagree, I've got Ndiswrapper to work on 4 different PCS and wireless
    > adapters. It's easy and straightforward and there is lots of info
    > around.
    >
    > NdisGTK makes installation of the drivers very simple

    Then it must have improved a lot. It was a real PITA one year ago.

  9. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    >> "ray" wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >>>
    >>> IMHO ndiswrapper is not worth the effort.

    >> I disagree, I've got Ndiswrapper to work on 4 different PCS and wireless
    >> adapters. It's easy and straightforward and there is lots of info
    >> around.
    >>
    >> NdisGTK makes installation of the drivers very simple

    > Then it must have improved a lot. It was a real PITA one year ago.

    Persevere, my friend, and satisfaction will be yours. Believe me it works -
    on USB and PCI adapters, on many chipsets. The problems are in other areas
    such as Network Manager and conflicts with older hardware. And Wifi-Radar is
    brilliant.

  10. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On 2008-03-20, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    >> Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.
    >>
    >> any idea about how ti operate ?

    > Use 'lspci' to find out what the chipset is. If it's Broadcomm - junk it
    > and try to find an Atheros based adapter. My Dlink WNA2330 works fine
    > with mad-wifi - IMHO ndiswrapper is not worth the effort.

    Just a word of caution here Atheros left the ball park in one/some of their
    5xxx series. Mad wifi lost them, users are just mad.

    Read not all Atheros chips work with Linux, as of of this date. Madwifi are
    working on it.

  11. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On 2008-03-20, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:45:55 +0000, Euclid wrote:
    >
    >> "ray" wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >>>
    >>> IMHO ndiswrapper is not worth the effort.

    >> I disagree, I've got Ndiswrapper to work on 4 different PCS and wireless
    >> adapters. It's easy and straightforward and there is lots of info
    >> around.
    >>
    >> NdisGTK makes installation of the drivers very simple

    > Then it must have improved a lot. It was a real PITA one year ago.

    Ms Penguin here. Look a year ago is many fish consumed. Things move on, and
    us penguins seldom stay still

  12. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On 2008-03-20, Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    >> Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.

    > I had the same problem with my Compaq R3010 laptop. The builtin Wifi
    > card is a Broadcom (May their skivvy shorts be starched with epoxy
    > glue!). There is a driver for it in the latest Linux kernels, but that
    > driver doesn't include the firmware blob and doesn't support 802.11g, so
    > I just stick with the ndiswrapper kluge. Ndiswrapper allows a Windows
    > driver to run in Linux. Google around for the chipset in your Netgear
    > adaptor and get the name of the .sys and .inf files it needs, dig those
    > files out of your Windows partition, and set up ndiswrapper. The first
    > place to look is the Ubuntu forum; it's a good bet that someone has
    > already solved your problem and posted the details.

    Ms Penguin here again. Look Netgear seem not to understand that there is
    profit out in Linux land.

    Still, few companies do.

  13. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    "Stephen J. Rush" wrote in message
    news:vNOdnf7kiYvB83_anZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:55:33 +0100, Sydney wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly under
    >> Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.

    > I had the same problem with my Compaq R3010 laptop. The builtin Wifi
    > card is a Broadcom (May their skivvy shorts be starched with epoxy
    > glue!). There is a driver for it in the latest Linux kernels, but that
    > driver doesn't include the firmware blob and doesn't support 802.11g, so
    > I just stick with the ndiswrapper kluge. Ndiswrapper allows a Windows
    > driver to run in Linux. Google around for the chipset in your Netgear
    > adaptor and get the name of the .sys and .inf files it needs, dig those
    > files out of your Windows partition, and set up ndiswrapper. The first
    > place to look is the Ubuntu forum; it's a good bet that someone has
    > already solved your problem and posted the details.

    I live in France so I need to understand what you are talking about in your
    jargon.
    "Google around for the chipset in your Netgear adaptor "
    Does this mean that i have to find the files *.sys and *.inf my adapter
    needs ?
    2 "and set up ndiswrapper"
    How ?

  14. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    In <64gsahF2b04g8U11@mid.individual.net> Gordon:

    [Snip...]

    > Still, few companies do.

    Would Ms Penguin like to get the "Canon Sux" thread wound up again?

  15. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    "Sydney" wrote:
    > "Stephen J. Rush" wrote:
    >> Sydney wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there
    >>>
    >>> I have a Netgear WG111v3 wireless adapter. It works perfectly
    >>> under Windows XP but I cann't make it recognise by Ubuntu 7.10.

    >> I had the same problem with my Compaq R3010 laptop. The builtin
    >> Wifi card is a Broadcom (May their skivvy shorts be starched with
    >> epoxy glue!). There is a driver for it in the latest Linux kernels, but that
    >> driver doesn't include the firmware blob and doesn't support 802.11g,
    >> so I just stick with the ndiswrapper kluge. Ndiswrapper allows a
    >> Windows driver to run in Linux. Google around for the chipset in your
    >> Netgear adaptor and get the name of the .sys and .inf files it needs,
    >> dig those files out of your Windows partition, and set up ndiswrapper.
    >> The first place to look is the Ubuntu forum; it's a good bet that
    >> someone has already solved your problem and posted the details.

    > I live in France so I need to understand what you are talking about
    > in your jargon.
    > "Google around for the chipset in your Netgear adaptor "
    > Does this mean that i have to find the files *.sys and *.inf my adapter needs
    > ?
    > 2 "and set up ndiswrapper"
    > How ?

    To "Google around" means to search the Internet using a search
    engine such as that run by Google. He meant to find out the name
    and/or model number of the chipset in your Netgear adapter and to
    use that as a "search word" (in addition to ".sys" and ".inf") in the
    Google search window. Then, knowing the names of those files,
    find them in your Windows installation. Then, make them available
    to ndiswrapper in a procedure that you can also find with a
    Google search. Sorry, but that is the culture of this newsgroup,
    unfortunnately.

    *TimDaniels*

  16. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On 2008-03-21, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Google search. Sorry, but that is the culture of this newsgroup,
    > unfortunnately.

    Actually, it is far from the nature of this newsgroup. If he can
    provide us with some basic information, I am sure someone will be more
    than happy to walk him through setting up NDIS Wrapper.

    Don't be bitter just because people aren't willing to hold your hand
    and walk you through "all you ever wanted to know about linux and
    more". Take some initiative and learn for yourself. As was said to
    you at the time, if you are actually trying to do things and you come
    up on something that is baffling you, pop in and ask the question.
    Someone will help. Just don't bother us with hours of theoretic
    questions about things you have never tried, and may or may not even
    be planning on doing.

    I need to set my default kill score to more than 15 days...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  17. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    "Joe" denied the nature of this NG:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> Google search. Sorry, but that is the culture of this newsgroup,
    >> unfortunnately.

    > Actually, it is far from the nature of this newsgroup. If he can
    > provide us with some basic information, I am sure someone will be more
    > than happy to walk him through setting up NDIS Wrapper.
    >
    > Don't be bitter just because people aren't willing to hold your hand
    > and walk you through "all you ever wanted to know about linux and
    > more". Take some initiative and learn for yourself. As was said to
    > you at the time, if you are actually trying to do things and you come
    > up on something that is baffling you, pop in and ask the question.
    > Someone will help. Just don't bother us with hours of theoretic
    > questions about things you have never tried, and may or may not even
    > be planning on doing.

    Oh, you're so helpful - and you still haven't told Sydney how to use
    ndiswrapper. But that's the culture of this newsgroup.

    *TimDaniels*

  18. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    On 2008-03-22, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Joe" denied the nature of this NG:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> Google search. Sorry, but that is the culture of this newsgroup,
    >>> unfortunnately.

    >> Actually, it is far from the nature of this newsgroup. If he can
    >> provide us with some basic information, I am sure someone will be more
    >> than happy to walk him through setting up NDIS Wrapper.
    >>
    >> Don't be bitter just because people aren't willing to hold your hand
    >> and walk you through "all you ever wanted to know about linux and
    >> more". Take some initiative and learn for yourself. As was said to
    >> you at the time, if you are actually trying to do things and you come
    >> up on something that is baffling you, pop in and ask the question.
    >> Someone will help. Just don't bother us with hours of theoretic
    >> questions about things you have never tried, and may or may not even
    >> be planning on doing.

    > Oh, you're so helpful - and you still haven't told Sydney how to use
    > ndiswrapper. But that's the culture of this newsgroup.

    My, you are a dip****, aren't you... He was asked to provide his
    chipset. Once he has that, we can help him get the drivers and
    provide very detailed directions on using a very simple tool. Without
    the requisite information, the best anyone can do is give him the same
    info he'd get from a man page...

    I'd suggest you help him, if you are so interested, but your knowledge
    of computers is right up there with my knowledge of quantum physics...

    Now get back to practicing your phrases for your future career...
    It's "would you like fries with that, sir?" Keep practicing, and
    perhaps you'll land your dream job...

    Now I've tired of you [again], so back in the boob bin...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  19. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Now I've tired of you [again], so back in the boob bin...

    It's funny how all these people who have never once offered any
    assistence in here can pop up with ludicrous views on "how it should
    be done".

    They want to try and assist once in a while instead of posting their
    negative rhetoric.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  20. Re: Wireless Connection to the Internet

    In <64k7ttF2c9fviU3@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip...]

    > It's funny how all these people who have never once offered any
    > assistence in here can pop up with ludicrous views on "how it should
    > be done".

    FWIW...

    I watched Flatfish and pals for years in aols and other groups pull this
    same stunt. Another fave disruption Flattie encouraged: start threads on
    some extremely esoteric minutiae that was a "showstopper" for their Doze
    migration to Linux--then completely disappear while the group spun their
    wheels trying to actually help.

    > assist once in a while instead of posting their negative rhetoric.

    The tree is known by its fruits. If it shows up in troll modes, and over
    time demonstrates only disruptive trolling "help" like this, they're for
    my part a troll, QED.

    If it's more signal than noise, I plonk it, and I don't look back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast