Oracle client on Ubuntu Gutsy - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Oracle client on Ubuntu Gutsy - Ubuntu ; Hi, I followed several tutorials on how to install oracle client on Ubuntu : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=57303 http://ubuntulife.wordpress.com/2007...rte-de-oracle/ http://www.benpinter.net/article.php...51208034638928 but tora doesn't propose me Oracle server, just PostgreSQL. Has someone managed to install tora or other(s) Oracle client(s) on Ubuntu Gusy/ Debian ...

  1. Oracle client on Ubuntu Gutsy

    Hi,

    I followed several tutorials on how to install oracle client on Ubuntu :

    http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=57303
    http://ubuntulife.wordpress.com/2007...rte-de-oracle/

    http://www.benpinter.net/article.php...51208034638928

    but tora doesn't propose me Oracle server, just PostgreSQL.

    Has someone managed to install tora or other(s) Oracle client(s) on
    Ubuntu Gusy/ Debian ?

    TIA

  2. Re: Oracle client on Ubuntu Gutsy

    ApolloJ wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I followed several tutorials on how to install oracle client on Ubuntu :
    >
    > http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=57303

    http://ubuntulife.wordpress.com/2007...rte-de-oracle/

    > http://www.benpinter.net/article.php...51208034638928
    >
    > but tora doesn't propose me Oracle server, just PostgreSQL.
    >
    > Has someone managed to install tora or other(s) Oracle client(s) on
    > Ubuntu Gusy/ Debian ?

    I don't know what tora is, but I could add it via Add/Remove Applications:

    "A graphical toolkit for database developers and administrators
    Tora features a schema browser, SQL worksheet, PL/SQL editor & debugger,
    storage manager, rollback segment monitor, instance manager, and SQL output
    viewer. Via qt3 it can access PostgreSQL and MySQL directly. Any other
    database systems can be accessed via ODBC.

    This application is provided by the Ubuntu community.
    TOra integrates well into the Kubuntu desktop"

    Then I start it up and get a splash screen / GUI saying

    "Version 1.3.22svn (http://tora.sourceforge.net) © 2003-2005 Quest Software,
    Inc. (http://www.quest.com/).
    Portions © 2005 other contributors
    Written by Henrik Johnson with contributions by the Open Source community."

    I haven't got any databases, so I can't check that for you.

    de Kameel

  3. Re: Oracle client on Ubuntu Gutsy

    ApolloJ wrote in

    > Has someone managed to install tora or other(s) Oracle client(s) on
    > Ubuntu Gusy/ Debian ?
    >
    > TIA

    OracleXE works fine and you can address it over a network.

    http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2006...press-edition-
    installation-on-ubuntu/

    --
    I have nothing to add to this