How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem? - Ubuntu ; A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1? In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set: modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4 phone number: myISP# username: myusername password: mypassword ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?

    In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    phone number: myISP#
    username: myusername
    password: mypassword
    Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.

    Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.

    After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?

    I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  2. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

    "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4...
    >A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    > using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >
    > In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    > modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    > phone number: myISP#
    > username: myusername
    > password: mypassword
    > Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    > with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >
    > Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    > primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    > secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    > Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >
    > After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    > heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >
    > I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    > and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    > live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > --
    > pcbldrNinetyEight

  3. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    "George Bashore" wrote in

    > "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4...
    >>A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    >> using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >>
    >> In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    >> modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    >> phone number: myISP#
    >> username: myusername
    >> password: mypassword
    >> Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    >> with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >>
    >> Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    >> primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    >> secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    >> Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >>
    >> After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    >> heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >>
    >> I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    >> and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    >> live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

    Thanks but I read that previously and no joy. As you can see from my OP
    I was able to configure my modem but AFAIK there is no GUI to establish
    a dialup connection, or I couldn't find it. There might be if I could
    download the software to dial out but without a working internet
    connection that's impossible. It's a chicken and egg conundrum.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  4. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    On 2008-03-19, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    > "George Bashore" wrote in
    >
    >> "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4...
    >>>A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    >>> using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >>>
    >>> In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    >>> modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    >>> phone number: myISP#
    >>> username: myusername
    >>> password: mypassword
    >>> Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    >>> with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >>>
    >>> Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    >>> primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    >>> secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    >>> Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >>>
    >>> After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    >>> heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >>>
    >>> I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    >>> and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    >>> live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

    > Thanks but I read that previously and no joy. As you can see from my OP
    > I was able to configure my modem but AFAIK there is no GUI to establish
    > a dialup connection, or I couldn't find it. There might be if I could
    > download the software to dial out but without a working internet
    > connection that's impossible. It's a chicken and egg conundrum.

    Do you have wvdial on the live CD? It is easy to use. and has great
    documentation.

  5. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote in
    news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4:

    > A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    > using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >
    > In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    > modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    > phone number: myISP#
    > username: myusername
    > password: mypassword
    > Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    > with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >
    > Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    > primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    > secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    > Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >
    > After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    > heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >
    > I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    > and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    > live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    If you're wondering how I made my OP it was with Xnews in WIN98SE.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  6. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    Ignoramus30927 wrote in
    news:YqqdnUczLKWY73zanZ2dnUVZ_vXinZ2d@giganews.com :

    > On 2008-03-19, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >> "George Bashore" wrote in
    >>
    >>> "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    >>> news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4...

    >>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

    >> Thanks but I read that previously and no joy. As you can see from my
    >> OP I was able to configure my modem but AFAIK there is no GUI to
    >> establish a dialup connection, or I couldn't find it. There might be
    >> if I could download the software to dial out but without a working
    >> internet connection that's impossible. It's a chicken and egg
    >> conundrum.

    > Do you have wvdial on the live CD? It is easy to use. and has great
    > documentation.

    If I do I can't find it. In File Browser, I clicked Search, typed in
    wvdial, pressed enter and no joy. But I'm a newbie so I'm not even sure
    I did a proper search. If wvdial isn't a GUI I probably won't be able to
    use it anyway. Thanks.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  7. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    On 2008-03-19, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    > Ignoramus30927 wrote in
    > news:YqqdnUczLKWY73zanZ2dnUVZ_vXinZ2d@giganews.com :
    >
    >> On 2008-03-19, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >>> "George Bashore" wrote in

    >>> Thanks but I read that previously and no joy. As you can see from my
    >>> OP I was able to configure my modem but AFAIK there is no GUI to
    >>> establish a dialup connection, or I couldn't find it. There might be
    >>> if I could download the software to dial out but without a working
    >>> internet connection that's impossible. It's a chicken and egg
    >>> conundrum.

    >> Do you have wvdial on the live CD? It is easy to use. and has great
    >> documentation.

    > If I do I can't find it. In File Browser, I clicked Search, typed in
    > wvdial, pressed enter and no joy. But I'm a newbie so I'm not even sure
    > I did a proper search. If wvdial isn't a GUI I probably won't be able to
    > use it anyway. Thanks.

    OK, so you are not a command line guy.

    There should be an icon on the right that is called Network
    Manager. You can configure a modem in it. See if you can do it.

  8. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    Ignoramus30927 wrote in
    news:KoOdnepy9qLu63zanZ2dnUVZ_r7inZ2d@giganews.com :

    > On 2008-03-19, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >> Ignoramus30927 wrote in
    >> news:YqqdnUczLKWY73zanZ2dnUVZ_vXinZ2d@giganews.com :

    >>> Do you have wvdial on the live CD? It is easy to use. and has great
    >>> documentation.

    >> If I do I can't find it. In File Browser, I clicked Search, typed in
    >> wvdial, pressed enter and no joy. But I'm a newbie so I'm not even sure
    >> I did a proper search. If wvdial isn't a GUI I probably won't be able to
    >> use it anyway. Thanks.

    > OK, so you are not a command line guy.
    >
    > There should be an icon on the right that is called Network
    > Manager.

    To the right of what?

    > You can configure a modem in it.

    I thought I had already configured my modem as per my OP.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  9. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A66997A25D75pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4...

    >> I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    >> and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    >> live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    > If you're wondering how I made my OP it was with Xnews in WIN98SE.

    In your Terminal type: sudo pppconf
    This will launch the setup programme
    Go through the motions of creating your connection and save it.

    To dial out you will open a terminal and type: pon "connection name you
    gave"
    To close connection you type: poff "connection name you gave"

    pppconf worked flawlessly for me, perhaps it will work for you too?

    Regards

  10. Re: PROBLEM SOLVED How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote in
    news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4:

    > A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    > using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >
    > In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    > modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    > phone number: myISP#
    > username: myusername
    > password: mypassword
    > Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    > with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >
    > Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    > primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    > secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    > Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >
    > After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    > heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >
    > I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    > and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    > live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    PROBLEM SOLVED:

    I used the wrong port for my modem. With WIN98SE and Damn Small Linux my
    3CP2977 hardware modem (aka USR2977) was on ttyS4 (aka COM5) but in Ubuntu
    it is on ttyS1 (aka COM2). I reconfigured my modem to use ttyS1 and
    successfully connected as soon as I clicked the ckeck box on the Network
    dialog to enable my modem. After starting Firefox I was able to visit
    websites. Firefox seemed slow last night so I may need to do some research
    into why.

    I found the correct port by looking in: System, Preferences, Hardware
    Information. From Devices I clicked nForce3 250Gb PCI to PCI Bridge, 56K
    Faxmodem Model 5610, 56K Faxmodem Model 5610. In the Advanced tab on the
    right I saw serial.device and across from that I saw, string /dev/ttyS1.

    Thanks to all who replied.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  11. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    "George Bashore" wrote in

    > "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4...
    >>A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    >> using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >>
    >> In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    >> modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    >> phone number: myISP#
    >> username: myusername
    >> password: mypassword
    >> Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    >> with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >>
    >> Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    >> primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    >> secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    >> Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >>
    >> After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    >> heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >>
    >> I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    >> and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    >> live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto

    This is no criticism of you George and thanks for your reply but as a
    Linux beginner setting up a dialup connection for the first time I can
    say with certainty that that web page sorely lacking. I'm certain I
    could improve it greatly. I wonder if they would let me rewrite it? I
    wonder who's permission I would need to ask for? I think I'll start
    making enquiry's.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  12. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    On 2008-03-20, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:

    [snip]

    > This is no criticism of you George and thanks for your reply but as a
    > Linux beginner setting up a dialup connection for the first time I can
    > say with certainty that that web page sorely lacking. I'm certain I
    > could improve it greatly. I wonder if they would let me rewrite it?

    Ask them.

    > wonder who's permission I would need to ask for?

    The author's. For it is copyrighted. Ask her/him what conditions the
    copyright has. Hint think of the conditions the GPL lays down.

    > I think I'll start
    > making enquiry's.

    Ms Penguin, has just spotted this posting and says, Get stuck in. Linux is a
    community, you have ways of improving things then get stuck in and do it.
    Others might jump in and help you. You will not know until you start.

    You got the software for the price of the download, now go ahead and make it
    better.

    Linux tends to be short of documentation as people want to programme.

    When I was on dial up kppp was my GUI for getting the connection going. I
    understand that gppp also exists for this purpose

  13. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    Gordon wrote in

    > On 2008-03-20, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Linux tends to be short of documentation...

    My point as previously stated. Good or adequate documentation saves time
    and frustration, it enables newcomers to help themselves and encourages
    others to adopt Linux. Poor documentation or a lack of documentation has
    the opposite effect. Having said that I'm not complaining too
    emphatically. After all it is created by volunteers and costs the user
    nothing. I only point out that as a beginner I surely would have
    benefited from better documentation.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  14. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    > Gordon wrote
    >
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Linux tends to be short of documentation...

    > My point as previously stated. Good or adequate documentation saves
    > time and frustration, it enables newcomers to help themselves and
    > encourages others to adopt Linux. Poor documentation or a lack of
    > documentation has the opposite effect. Having said that I'm not
    > complaining too emphatically. After all it is created by volunteers
    > and costs the user nothing. I only point out that as a beginner I
    > surely would have benefited from better documentation.

    Well, you certainly can't be recommending Microsoft. Their
    documentation is practically non-existant.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  15. Re: PROBLEM SOLVED How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    On 2008-03-20, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    > pcbldrNinetyEight wrote in
    > news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4:

    [Snip]

    > PROBLEM SOLVED:
    >
    > I used the wrong port for my modem. With WIN98SE and Damn Small Linux my
    > 3CP2977 hardware modem (aka USR2977) was on ttyS4 (aka COM5) but in Ubuntu
    > it is on ttyS1 (aka COM2). I reconfigured my modem to use ttyS1 and
    > successfully connected as soon as I clicked the ckeck box on the Network
    > dialog to enable my modem. After starting Firefox I was able to visit
    > websites. Firefox seemed slow last night so I may need to do some research
    > into why.
    >
    > I found the correct port by looking in: System, Preferences, Hardware
    > Information. From Devices I clicked nForce3 250Gb PCI to PCI Bridge, 56K
    > Faxmodem Model 5610, 56K Faxmodem Model 5610. In the Advanced tab on the
    > right I saw serial.device and across from that I saw, string /dev/ttyS1.
    >
    > Thanks to all who replied.

    Thanks to you for letting us know the answer to the problem.

    I am always amazed how often the basic tests are not done, as in. Car will
    not start, is there fuel in the tank?

  16. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:

    >Gordon wrote in
    >
    >> On 2008-03-20, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Linux tends to be short of documentation...

    >My point as previously stated. Good or adequate documentation saves
    >time and frustration, it enables newcomers to help themselves and
    >encourages others to adopt Linux. Poor documentation or a lack of
    >documentation has the opposite effect. Having said that I'm not
    >complaining too emphatically. After all it is created by volunteers
    >and costs the user nothing. I only point out that as a beginner I
    >surely would have benefited from better documentation.

    As a programmer, I have to admit that poor documentation is normally
    the fault of the programmer. Most programmers tend to be computer savvy
    and as a result will take for granted that the user is as computer
    savvy as they are.

    The second part of the problem is that most programmers have their own
    style and the way they use their computer. So they make assumptions
    about what the user will see and how they will see it.

    Recently I wrote a small launch-app/note-pad for my room-mate. It took
    me about 3 hours to write the database program. I then spent about 35
    hours writing the help file . . . he still does not know how to use the
    database completely. The binary is 500KB and the help file is 2.1MB
    .

    --

    Sincerely,
    C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T

    CSD Computer Services
    Web site: http://csdcs.tlerma.com/
    E-mail: csdcs@tlerma.com

  17. Re: PROBLEM SOLVED How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:40:08 -0000, pcbldrNinetyEight
    wrote:

    >pcbldrNinetyEight wrote in
    >news:Xns9A667B00E6586pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.4 4:
    >
    >> A Linux newbie asks: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem
    >> using a live DVD of Ubuntu 7.1?
    >>
    >> In System, Administration, Network, Modem properties I set:
    >> modem port to com5: /dev/ttyS4
    >> phone number: myISP#
    >> username: myusername
    >> password: mypassword
    >> Then put a check to "Enable this connection". Not knowing what to do
    >> with the three check boxes on the Options tab I left them blank.
    >>
    >> Back at the Network dialog on the DNS tab I set:
    >> primary DNS: 209.153.128.4
    >> secondary DNS: 169.207.1.3
    >> Then I put a check in the box left of Modem on the Connections tab.
    >>
    >> After closing the Network dialog I opened Firefox but no joy. I never
    >> heard the modem dial out. How do I get the modem to dial my ISP?
    >>
    >> I have successfully booted a live CD of Damn Small Linux with this PC
    >> and was able to connect to the Internet. How do I achive this with a
    >> live Ubuntu 7.1 DVD? Thanks for your help.

    >PROBLEM SOLVED:
    >
    >I used the wrong port for my modem. With WIN98SE and Damn Small Linux my
    >3CP2977 hardware modem (aka USR2977) was on ttyS4 (aka COM5) but in Ubuntu
    >it is on ttyS1 (aka COM2). I reconfigured my modem to use ttyS1 and
    >successfully connected as soon as I clicked the ckeck box on the Network
    >dialog to enable my modem. After starting Firefox I was able to visit
    >websites. Firefox seemed slow last night so I may need to do some research
    >into why.
    >
    >I found the correct port by looking in: System, Preferences, Hardware
    >Information. From Devices I clicked nForce3 250Gb PCI to PCI Bridge, 56K
    >Faxmodem Model 5610, 56K Faxmodem Model 5610. In the Advanced tab on the
    >right I saw serial.device and across from that I saw, string /dev/ttyS1.
    >
    >Thanks to all who replied.

    Use the command (this is from my slackware router, but probably works
    under ubuntu)

    dmesg | grep 1655

    <6>ttyS04 at port 0xd400 (irq = 9) is a 16550A

    There is my modem, on ttyS04 , also an old and hardy 2977 !!
    :P
    (PS , the command line can also be used in ubuntu, sometimes ....)

  18. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    CBFalconer wrote in

    > pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote
    >>
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> Linux tends to be short of documentation...

    >> My point as previously stated. Good or adequate documentation saves
    >> time and frustration, it enables newcomers to help themselves and
    >> encourages others to adopt Linux. Poor documentation or a lack of
    >> documentation has the opposite effect. Having said that I'm not
    >> complaining too emphatically. After all it is created by volunteers
    >> and costs the user nothing. I only point out that as a beginner I
    >> surely would have benefited from better documentation.

    > Well, you certainly can't be recommending Microsoft.

    No and I don't see anything in my post that would suggest that I did.

    > Their documentation is practically non-existant.

    The best Windows help I've seen comes from the users of that OS and not
    Microsoft.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  19. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    "C.Joseph S. Drayton" wrote in

    > pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >
    >>Gordon wrote in
    >>
    >>> On 2008-03-20, pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> Linux tends to be short of documentation...

    >>My point as previously stated. Good or adequate documentation saves
    >>time and frustration, it enables newcomers to help themselves and
    >>encourages others to adopt Linux. Poor documentation or a lack of
    >>documentation has the opposite effect. Having said that I'm not
    >>complaining too emphatically. After all it is created by volunteers
    >>and costs the user nothing. I only point out that as a beginner I
    >>surely would have benefited from better documentation.

    > As a programmer, I have to admit that poor documentation is normally
    > the fault of the programmer. Most programmers tend to be computer
    > savvy and as a result will take for granted that the user is as
    > computer savvy as they are.
    >
    > The second part of the problem is that most programmers have their own
    > style and the way they use their computer. So they make assumptions
    > about what the user will see and how they will see it.
    >
    > Recently I wrote a small launch-app/note-pad for my room-mate. It took
    > me about 3 hours to write the database program. I then spent about 35
    > hours writing the help file . . . he still does not know how to use
    > the database completely. The binary is 500KB and the help file is
    > 2.1MB .

    Based on my own experiences writing procedures (aka help files) for my
    wife and associates I can say without doubt that it is no easy task.
    Writing help files is an art form unto it's self.

    I suspect some apps have failed to gain acceptance due to poorly written
    documentation or documentation that is inappropriate for the intended
    audience. I'm not critizing your skills, I'm speaking about software
    help in general.

    I'd say it's knowledgeable users who create the most useful
    documentation. Those who are able to visualize what a new user
    experiences when trying to come to grips with new concepts (some of
    which may be completely foreign to new users) will succeed in creating
    useful documentation.

    Much of the help I've seen for Linux is too heavily reliant on the
    command line and is therefore useless to anyone whose prior experience
    comes from a GUI.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  20. Re: How do I connect to Internet with dialup modem?

    pcbldrNinetyEight wrote:

    > Much of the help I've seen for Linux is too heavily reliant on the
    > command line and is therefore useless to anyone whose prior experience
    > comes from a GUI.

    Only useless to those who are too lazy to open a terminal and type (or
    copy and paste) the command in verbatim. It's not a matter of being
    ignorant, but lazy.

    You forget (or possibly don't yet know) that a GUI environment is
    highly-customizable, and usually unknown by someone offering assistance.

    OTOH, the terminal (CLI) commands are universal, not bound by any
    particular GUI desktop environment or distro.

    I won't bother mentioning that the GUI pointy-clicky stuff actually
    calls a CLI command, or some small range of possible command options.

    With that total control plus speed in mind, what do you have against
    using something that is superior over a slow, crippled or incomplete GUI?

    --
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast