Install on VirtualPC - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Install on VirtualPC - Ubuntu ; Hi, I try to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a Virtual PC 2007 (with an XP installation). The Ubuntu CD boots. But when I choose "Start or install Ubuntu" I only see strips cause the graphic driver seems to be incompatible. ...

  1. Install on VirtualPC

    Hi,

    I try to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a Virtual PC 2007 (with an XP
    installation).
    The Ubuntu CD boots. But when I choose "Start or install Ubuntu" I only
    see strips cause the graphic driver seems to be incompatible.
    When I choose "Start Ubuntu in safe graphics mode" it starts, but now
    the mouse driver seems to be incompatible. Also nothing happends when I
    press some keys (tab or enter).

    Any ideas what I can do?

    Uli

  2. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    Ulrich Albrecht wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I try to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a Virtual PC 2007 (with an XP
    > installation).
    > The Ubuntu CD boots. But when I choose "Start or install Ubuntu" I only
    > see strips cause the graphic driver seems to be incompatible.
    > When I choose "Start Ubuntu in safe graphics mode" it starts, but now
    > the mouse driver seems to be incompatible. Also nothing happends when I
    > press some keys (tab or enter).
    >
    > Any ideas what I can do?

    Perhaps try vmware server (www.vmware.com/download/server) or virtualbox
    (www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instead? Failing that, try the
    Ubuntu Alternative Installation CD image.

    --
    [ste]

  3. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:37:22 +0100
    "Ulrich Albrecht" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I try to install Ubuntu 7.10 on a Virtual PC 2007 (with an XP
    >installation).
    >The Ubuntu CD boots. But when I choose "Start or install Ubuntu" I
    >only see strips cause the graphic driver seems to be incompatible.
    >When I choose "Start Ubuntu in safe graphics mode" it starts, but now
    >the mouse driver seems to be incompatible. Also nothing happends when
    >I press some keys (tab or enter).
    >
    >Any ideas what I can do?
    >
    >Uli

    Windows virtual PC does not anything but Windows. Try the other VM
    hosts as suggested, as you can also install the VM tools to increase
    performance.

    --
    Holz
    :-)

  4. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    Holz wrote:

    > Windows virtual PC does not anything but Windows.

    If you're saying it doesn't do anything but Windows virtual machines,
    then that's not true. If you were saying the software doesn't run on
    anything but Windows then that's fair enough.

    > Try the other VM
    > hosts as suggested, as you can also install the VM tools to increase
    > performance.

    Virtual PC also includes VM tools you can install for a slightly
    improved experience. Anyway, the resident vm guru here at work has just
    recommended virtualbox as now being his preferred choice (previously
    vmware) and I think moog said the same on here too, so I'll be trying
    that shortly.

    --
    [ste]

  5. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:30:05 +0000
    "[ste parker]" wrote:

    > If you're saying it doesn't do anything but Windows virtual machines,
    > then that's not true. If you were saying the software doesn't run on
    > anything but Windows then that's fair enough.

    I am saying that windows VM does not do "properly" anything but
    windows. Anyway, i run vbox on couple machines and it is my preferred
    choice.

    --
    Live & let live, or leave.
    :-)

  6. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    [ste parker] illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Holz wrote:
    >>
    >> Windows virtual PC does not anything but Windows.

    > If you're saying it doesn't do anything but Windows virtual machines,
    > then that's not true. If you were saying the software doesn't run on
    > anything but Windows then that's fair enough.

    Virtual PC is a poor relation to many, many other alternatives. It's
    another one of those "Microsoft getting on the bus at the last stop"
    solutions.

    IT does run on windows. It can run Linux VM's, but it is not as good
    as other solutions.

    That probably rings a bell as a lot of software solutions "make it"
    over vastly superior products due to marketing clout.

    >> Try the other VM
    >> hosts as suggested, as you can also install the VM tools to increase
    >> performance.
    >>

    > Virtual PC also includes VM tools you can install for a slightly
    > improved experience. Anyway, the resident vm guru here at work has just
    > recommended virtualbox as now being his preferred choice (previously
    > vmware) and I think moog said the same on here too, so I'll be trying
    > that shortly.

    Yup. Virtualbox has improved release-on-release. It is superb. It's
    networking is second to none. It's guest additions are extremely
    useful for the new user. It works seamlessly. It is now under the
    ownership of Sun Microsystems.

    You can view the latter as a good or bad thing, but developments will
    continue. Whether they'll be improvements is another thing. Keep your
    eyes on it though.

    IMHO, it is by far and away the best virtualisation method outside of
    Xen.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    Moog wrote:

    > Virtual PC is a poor relation to many, many other alternatives. It's
    > another one of those "Microsoft getting on the bus at the last stop"
    > solutions.
    >
    > IT does run on windows. It can run Linux VM's, but it is not as good
    > as other solutions.

    I wasn't recommending it! Just pointing out that, depending on what was
    actually being said, what was being said might not have been true. Or
    something like that.

    > Yup. Virtualbox has improved release-on-release. It is superb. It's
    > networking is second to none. It's guest additions are extremely
    > useful for the new user. It works seamlessly. It is now under the
    > ownership of Sun Microsystems.
    >
    > You can view the latter as a good or bad thing, but developments will
    > continue. Whether they'll be improvements is another thing. Keep your
    > eyes on it though.
    >
    > IMHO, it is by far and away the best virtualisation method outside of
    > Xen.

    I do like vmware, but I've been having all sorts of hassles running it
    on my home Windows machine so I'll certainly give virtualbox a try out
    to see if I fare any better.

    --
    [ste]

  8. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    > or virtualbox
    > (www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instead?

    Yes, thanks, this works well.

    Uli

  9. Re: Install on VirtualPC

    [ste parker] illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >>
    >> Virtual PC is a poor relation to many, many other alternatives. It's
    >> another one of those "Microsoft getting on the bus at the last stop"
    >> solutions.
    >>
    >> IT does run on windows. It can run Linux VM's, but it is not as good
    >> as other solutions.
    >>

    > I wasn't recommending it! Just pointing out that, depending on what was
    > actually being said, what was being said might not have been true. Or
    > something like that.

    Sorry Ste. It was more of a case if informing the group rather than
    just yourself. I should have made that clearer.

    >> Yup. Virtualbox has improved release-on-release. It is superb. It's
    >> networking is second to none. It's guest additions are extremely
    >> useful for the new user. It works seamlessly. It is now under the
    >> ownership of Sun Microsystems.
    >>
    >> You can view the latter as a good or bad thing, but developments will
    >> continue. Whether they'll be improvements is another thing. Keep your
    >> eyes on it though.
    >>
    >> IMHO, it is by far and away the best virtualisation method outside of
    >> Xen.
    >>

    > I do like vmware, but I've been having all sorts of hassles running it
    > on my home Windows machine so I'll certainly give virtualbox a try out
    > to see if I fare any better.

    It *is* superb. VMware gives me unbootable VM's opccasionally. There
    are workarounds and ways to repair, but it can get to be a pain in the
    arse.

    I've yet to suffer any issues with VirtualBox. And I do use it
    heavily.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"