Firefox 3 ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 ? - Ubuntu ; I have Kubuntu 7.10 I downloaded Firefox three, but it will not execute. No error messages, no response. So I launched ADEPT and installed everything that had Firefox 3 in the name. Now Firefox launches but it identifies itself as ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Firefox 3 ?

    I have Kubuntu 7.10

    I downloaded Firefox three, but it will not execute.
    No error messages, no response.

    So I launched ADEPT and installed everything that had Firefox 3 in the
    name. Now Firefox launches but it identifies itself as 2.0.12

    (No version was installed previously)

    Also, the App/internet menu has a browser with a
    name I forget, but clicking it gets nothing--and ADEPT
    says that browser is not installed. So why is it on the menu?

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/Wes

  2. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:56:06 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > I have Kubuntu 7.10
    >
    > I downloaded Firefox three, but it will not execute. No error messages,
    > no response.
    >
    > So I launched ADEPT and installed everything that had Firefox 3 in the
    > name. Now Firefox launches but it identifies itself as 2.0.12
    >
    > (No version was installed previously)
    >
    > Also, the App/internet menu has a browser with a name I forget, but
    > clicking it gets nothing--and ADEPT says that browser is not installed.
    > So why is it on the menu?

    Something is definitely wrong on your end, wish I could tell you what.

    I've tested both KDE4 and Gnome, no problems with it on my end. Did not
    test KDE3.

    It should identify itself as firefox 3 beta 4.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > It should identify itself as firefox 3 beta 4.

    ADEPT shows both two and three as installed.
    I assumed that two was being installed as
    a dependency. I guess I'll remove both and
    see if I can get it to take three only.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
    will make violent revolution inevitable.
    -- John F. Kennedy

  4. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> It should identify itself as firefox 3 beta 4.

    > ADEPT shows both two and three as installed.
    > I assumed that two was being installed as
    > a dependency. I guess I'll remove both and
    > see if I can get it to take three only.

    Possibly the softlink is still pointing to Firefox 2 in /usr/bin ? Check
    that out. I haven't installed FF 3, so just guessing here.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  5. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > ADEPT shows both two and three as installed.
    > I assumed that two was being installed as
    > a dependency. I guess I'll remove both and
    > see if I can get it to take three only.

    Why don't you just install Firefox directly from the Mozilla site? Place
    it directly in /usr/local/Firefox3/. Then create a symbolic link to
    /usr/local/bin/. From that use alacarte (Main Menu editor) to create a
    new menu item.

    That way, you're in control.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  6. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Why don't you just install Firefox directly from the Mozilla site? Place

    Did that.

    > it directly in /usr/local/Firefox3/. Then create a symbolic link to
    > /usr/local/bin/. From that use alacarte (Main Menu editor) to create a
    > new menu item.

    Didn't do that. KDE doesn't let you run an executable with
    a double-click on its icon? Only works if in /usr/local/bin ?

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

  7. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Didn't do that. KDE doesn't let you run an executable with
    > a double-click on its icon? Only works if in /usr/local/bin ?

    Sorry, I missed you said Kubuntu.

    Still confused, though; you can't double-click an icon to run an
    executable? What?

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:21:10 GMT,
    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > > Why don't you just install Firefox directly from the Mozilla site? Place

    > Did that.
    >
    > > it directly in /usr/local/Firefox3/. Then create a symbolic link to
    > > /usr/local/bin/. From that use alacarte (Main Menu editor) to create a
    > > new menu item.

    > Didn't do that. KDE doesn't let you run an executable with
    > a double-click on its icon? Only works if in /usr/local/bin ?

    You may want to run ff3 from a command line at some point. If it is
    not in the path, you will need to type /usr/local/Firefox3/firefox
    each time you use it.

    If you only want to test it out, you should probably avoid the
    symlink, and if past experience serves, make sure ff2 is closed when
    you start ff3.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

  9. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:00:55 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Didn't do that. KDE doesn't let you run an executable with a
    >> double-click on its icon? Only works if in /usr/local/bin ?

    > Sorry, I missed you said Kubuntu.
    >
    > Still confused, though; you can't double-click an icon to run an
    > executable? What?

    what he meant is you can double click on the actual shell script file
    or .bin file to run it. You can however create a desktop icon for it,
    point it to that file, then double click on the icon and it will run. At
    least that was the way it worked for me when I was running KDE.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  10. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > what he meant is you can double click on the actual shell script file
    > or .bin file to run it. You can however create a desktop icon for it,

    No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

  11. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:57:08 GMT,
    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Vance Howard wrote:
    > > what he meant is you can double click on the actual shell script file
    > > or .bin file to run it. You can however create a desktop icon for it,

    > No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    > I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    > -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    I'm fairly certain if you read the instructions, it will tell you to
    install from the command line. If you want to avoid the command line,
    wait until it shows up in the repositories.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Habit is a hard master but a willing servant.

  12. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    > I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    > -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    No, you weren't clear when you posted many posts back.

    You'll have to chmod +x the bin file, then run it from terminal to
    install. But yes, the instructions are right there for you. Sorry, not
    everything is double-clicky. You probably don't really want help, anyway.

    Good luck.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  13. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Michael C. wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:57:08 GMT,
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Vance Howard wrote:
    >>> what he meant is you can double click on the actual shell script file
    >>> or .bin file to run it. You can however create a desktop icon for it,

    >> No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    >> I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    >> -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    > I'm fairly certain if you read the instructions, it will tell you to
    > install from the command line. If you want to avoid the command line,
    > wait until it shows up in the repositories.
    >
    > Michael C.

    Firefox 3.0-dev shows up in synaptic (enable the backports). I just
    installed it and it is quite impressive.

  14. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    > I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    > -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    Ff3 alpha8 is now in the repos. In Ub 7.10, not Kub, I installed ff3a8
    via synaptic, along with a gnome support ff3.

    The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12

    I imagine it should work that way in Kub, so if that isn't what you are
    getting, I think I would uninstall and reinstall.

    --
    Mike Easter

  15. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Michael C. wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:57:08 GMT,
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Vance Howard wrote:
    >>> what he meant is you can double click on the actual shell script file
    >>> or .bin file to run it. You can however create a desktop icon for it,

    >> No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    >> I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    >> -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    > I'm fairly certain if you read the instructions, it will tell you to
    > install from the command line. If you want to avoid the command line,
    > wait until it shows up in the repositories.

    As I _also_ posted many posts back, it is in the repositories.
    But selecting FireFox 3 in ADEPT caused FF2 to be installed
    with it, and it connected FF2 to the menu link.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Words of the Wild Wes(t) = http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW

  16. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > You'll have to chmod +x the bin file,

    The tarball unpacked with the exec bit already set.

    > ..., then run it from terminal to
    > install. But yes, the instructions are right there for you.

    Oh, firefox-bin is only an installer?

    > Sorry, not
    > everything is double-clicky. You probably don't really want help, anyway.

    Right, I don't want to run FF3. I _like_ my Javascript slow.
    You must be a psychologist to figure me out so quick.
    Now I gotta find someplace else to troll.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

  17. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    > not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12

    Aha! Yes, that was there, and I wondered what it was.
    It didn't launch anything, though. I guess I'll dump
    them both and try again.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Change is inevitable. We need to learn that "inevitable" is
    neither a synonym for "good" nor for "bad."
    -- WWG

  18. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    >> not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12

    > Aha! Yes, that was there, and I wondered what it was.
    > It didn't launch anything, though. I guess I'll dump
    > them both and try again.

    I removed everything that had firefox in the name, plus
    the XUL thing that firefox needs. Then I installed
    ONLY FF3 and it works great from the menu.

    I would have never figured out that granparadiso
    was another name for FireFox 3 from the ADEPT screen alone.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There ain't no right wing,
    there ain't no left wing.
    There's only you and me and we just disagree.
    (apologies to Jim Krueger)

  19. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 02:38:54 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    >>> not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12

    >> Aha! Yes, that was there, and I wondered what it was. It didn't launch
    >> anything, though. I guess I'll dump them both and try again.

    > I removed everything that had firefox in the name, plus the XUL thing
    > that firefox needs. Then I installed ONLY FF3 and it works great from
    > the menu.
    >
    > I would have never figured out that granparadiso was another name for
    > FireFox 3 from the ADEPT screen alone.

    I don't get what the big deal is. It looks and functions the same as far
    as I can tell besides some of my add-ons not working.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

  20. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Vance Howard wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 02:38:54 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >> I would have never figured out that granparadiso was another name for
    >> FireFox 3 from the ADEPT screen alone.

    > I don't get what the big deal is. It looks and functions the same as far
    > as I can tell besides some of my add-ons not working.

    The reason I wanted to try it is that someone said a Javascript
    sorting routine ran a hundred times faster. I wanted to see
    whether anything else was different.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Guidelines for judging others:

    1. Don't attribute to malice that which
    can be adequately explained by stupidity.

    2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
    can be adequately explained by ignorance.

    3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
    can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast