Firefox 3 ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 ? - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 03:02:54 +0000, Vance Howard wrote: > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 02:38:54 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote: > >> Wes Groleau wrote: >>> Mike Easter wrote: >>>> The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 03:02:54 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 02:38:54 +0000, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Groleau wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Aha! Yes, that was there, and I wondered what it was. It didn't
    >>> launch anything, though. I guess I'll dump them both and try again.

    >> I removed everything that had firefox in the name, plus the XUL thing
    >> that firefox needs. Then I installed ONLY FF3 and it works great from
    >> the menu.
    >>
    >> I would have never figured out that granparadiso was another name for
    >> FireFox 3 from the ADEPT screen alone.

    > I don't get what the big deal is. It looks and functions the same as far
    > as I can tell besides some of my add-ons not working.

    From what I know, it is significantly faster than 2.0.

    Someone had posted benchmarks that were done between the various browsers
    (FF3 beta, FF2, Safari, IE7, IE8 beta, and a few others) and both Safari
    and FF3 came out extremely close in terms of speed completely
    annihilating any version of IE.

    IE8 beta was an improvement over IE7 but it still was just annihilated by
    FF3 or Safari.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    "Stephan Rose" wrote in message

    > Someone had posted benchmarks that were done between the various browsers
    > (FF3 beta, FF2, Safari, IE7, IE8 beta, and a few others) and both Safari
    > and FF3 came out extremely close in terms of speed completely
    > annihilating any version of IE.
    >
    > IE8 beta was an improvement over IE7 but it still was just annihilated by
    > FF3 or Safari.

    It makes a *big* difference that the BBC site loads in 1.0 seconds rather
    than 1.1 seconds then?
    If it takes longer you have a problem.

  3. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:34:48 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    >
    >> Someone had posted benchmarks that were done between the various
    >> browsers (FF3 beta, FF2, Safari, IE7, IE8 beta, and a few others) and
    >> both Safari and FF3 came out extremely close in terms of speed
    >> completely annihilating any version of IE.
    >>
    >> IE8 beta was an improvement over IE7 but it still was just annihilated
    >> by FF3 or Safari.

    > It makes a *big* difference that the BBC site loads in 1.0 seconds
    > rather than 1.1 seconds then?
    > If it takes longer you have a problem.

    I highly doubt it matters on my 2.4GHz dual core or on my 3.0GHz quad-
    core.

    However, on some cheap low-end machine that doesn't have a lot of
    processing power, yes it just might matter. And apparently Microsoft
    agrees as IE8 is faster than IE7...just still not near as fast as FF3 and
    Safari by the looks of it.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    >> I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    >> -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    > Ff3 alpha8 is now in the repos. In Ub 7.10, not Kub, I installed ff3a8
    > via synaptic, along with a gnome support ff3.
    >
    > The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    > not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12
    >
    > I imagine it should work that way in Kub, so if that isn't what you are
    > getting, I think I would uninstall and reinstall.

    I installed Granparadiso on my moms 7.10 box because FF2 would blow up
    on Yahoo maps.
    Debugged for a couple hours, gave up and upgraded. Yahoo maps works fine
    now on FF3.
    The video on this page will break FF3, and FF2 on my Feisty and Edgy
    boxes. Chokes the life out of FF on my winbox but doesn't crash it there...
    [http://origin.www.atomfilms.com/film...t_garde_music]
    May be flash block related since thats common on all my FF installs...

  5. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    clay wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Wes Groleau wrote:
    >>
    >>> No, what I mean is what I posted many posts back:
    >>> I downloaded FF3, navigated to the icon for the
    >>> -bin and double-clicked on it. Nothing happened.

    >> Ff3 alpha8 is now in the repos. In Ub 7.10, not Kub, I installed ff3a8
    >> via synaptic, along with a gnome support ff3.
    >>
    >> The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    >> not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12
    >>
    >> I imagine it should work that way in Kub, so if that isn't what you are
    >> getting, I think I would uninstall and reinstall.
    >>

    > I installed Granparadiso on my moms 7.10 box because FF2 would blow up
    > on Yahoo maps.
    > Debugged for a couple hours, gave up and upgraded. Yahoo maps works fine
    > now on FF3.
    > The video on this page will break FF3, and FF2 on my Feisty and Edgy
    > boxes. Chokes the life out of FF on my winbox but doesn't crash it there...
    > [http://origin.www.atomfilms.com/film...t_garde_music]
    >
    > May be flash block related since thats common on all my FF installs...

    It crashed my ff2, everything dissappeared gutsy oct2007 (7.10) so
    then started ff from a terminal with this command:
    firefox
    http://origin.www.atomfilms.com/film...nt_garde_music
    and it crashed with this error:
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  6. Re: Firefox 3 ?

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:25:30 -0500, User wrote:

    > clay wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Ff3 alpha8 is now in the repos. In Ub 7.10, not Kub, I installed
    >>> ff3a8 via synaptic, along with a gnome support ff3.
    >>>
    >>> The ff3 shows up in the menu as 'Granparadiso Web Browser' and it does
    >>> not 'displace' Ff2.0.0.12
    >>>
    >>> I imagine it should work that way in Kub, so if that isn't what you
    >>> are getting, I think I would uninstall and reinstall.
    >>>

    >> I installed Granparadiso on my moms 7.10 box because FF2 would blow up
    >> on Yahoo maps.
    >> Debugged for a couple hours, gave up and upgraded. Yahoo maps works
    >> fine now on FF3.
    >> The video on this page will break FF3, and FF2 on my Feisty and Edgy
    >> boxes. Chokes the life out of FF on my winbox but doesn't crash it
    >> there...
    >> [http://origin.www.atomfilms.com/film...pipedream.jsp?

    channelKeyword=channel_avant_garde_music]

    >> May be flash block related since thats common on all my FF installs...

    > It crashed my ff2, everything dissappeared gutsy oct2007 (7.10) so
    > then started ff from a terminal with this command: firefox
    > http://origin.www.atomfilms.com/film...pipedream.jsp?

    channelKeyword=channel_avant_garde_music
    > and it crashed with this error:
    > Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    No problem for me using Ubuntu 7.10 64bit and FF2.

    --
    Vance Howard
    vhoward1122atgmaildotcom

+ Reply to Thread