How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ? - Ubuntu ; One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure out how to do it in ubuntu. Any help ? TIA...

  1. How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    out how to do it in ubuntu.
    Any help ?
    TIA

  2. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    Shadow wrote:
    > One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    > alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    > out how to do it in ubuntu.
    > Any help ?
    > TIA

    Ubuntu is GNU/Linux. I presume you meant DOS? I've used DOS to create
    1.77 MB floppies for such things as tomsrtbt Linux.

    For Ubuntu, take a look here:

    http://tinyurl.com/2psmr7

    And as suggested in several of these hits:

    man mkfs

    Which might just be the quickest place to start.

    --
    John

  3. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:41:49 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >> One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    >> alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    >> out how to do it in ubuntu.
    >> Any help ?
    >> TIA
    >>

    >Ubuntu is GNU/Linux. I presume you meant DOS? I've used DOS to create
    >1.77 MB floppies for such things as tomsrtbt Linux.

    No, linux

    fdformat /dev/fd0u1680
    mke2fs /dev/fd0u1680
    mount /dev/fd0u1680 -t ext2 /mnt/floppy

    (same for 1.722 Mb floppy)

    Like I said, does not work under ubuntu. Maybe it needs an
    utility now, like windows ?

    >For Ubuntu, take a look here:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2psmr7
    >
    >And as suggested in several of these hits:
    >
    >man mkfs
    >
    >Which might just be the quickest place to start.

  4. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    Shadow wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:41:49 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Shadow wrote:
    >>
    >>> One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    >>> alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    >>> out how to do it in ubuntu.
    >>> Any help ?
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> Ubuntu is GNU/Linux. I presume you meant DOS? I've used DOS to create
    >> 1.77 MB floppies for such things as tomsrtbt Linux.
    >>

    > No, linux
    >
    > fdformat /dev/fd0u1680
    > mke2fs /dev/fd0u1680
    > mount /dev/fd0u1680 -t ext2 /mnt/floppy
    >
    > (same for 1.722 Mb floppy)
    >
    > Like I said, does not work under ubuntu. Maybe it needs an
    > utility now, like windows ?
    >

    >> For Ubuntu, take a look here:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/2psmr7
    >>
    >> And as suggested in several of these hits:
    >>
    >> man mkfs
    >>
    >> Which might just be the quickest place to start.

    The instructions for tomsrtbt state the following:

    "Virtually all 1.44 drives support 1.722 just fine, but it is possible for
    an extended format to break a floppy drive, use tomsrtbt at your own risk.
    The install does mknod to make /dev/fd0u1722 if you don't have it already.

    "If you use libc.so.6 / glibc, you might need something like:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib; ./fdformat /dev/fd0u1722"

    From http://www.toms.net/rb/tomsrtbt.FAQ section 4.

    Hope this helps, and if so, please let me know what worked.

    --
    John

  5. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:22:57 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    wrote:

    >Shadow wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:41:49 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    >> wrote:

    >The instructions for tomsrtbt state the following:
    >
    >"Virtually all 1.44 drives support 1.722 just fine, but it is possible for
    >an extended format to break a floppy drive, use tomsrtbt at your own risk.
    >The install does mknod to make /dev/fd0u1722 if you don't have it already.
    >
    >"If you use libc.so.6 / glibc, you might need something like:
    >LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib; ./fdformat /dev/fd0u1722"
    >
    > From http://www.toms.net/rb/tomsrtbt.FAQ section 4.
    >
    >Hope this helps, and if so, please let me know what worked.

    This works:

    mknod /dev/fd0u1680 b 2 44

    (mknod /dev/fd0u1722 b 2 60 - for the 1.722 floppy)

    fdformat /dev/fd0u1680

    mkdosfs /dev/fd0u1680 ( or mke2fs)

    mount /dev/fd0u1680 /mnt/floppy

    I will have to write a batch as the /dev/ files disappear
    after every boot, and I can't remember the mknod parameters for more
    that 10 minutes :P
    []'s

  6. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:02:22 -0300, Shadow wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:22:57 GMT, "John F. Morse"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Shadow wrote:

    >>The instructions for tomsrtbt state the following:
    >>
    >>"Virtually all 1.44 drives support 1.722 just fine, but it is possible
    >>for an extended format to break a floppy drive, use tomsrtbt at your own
    >>risk. The install does mknod to make /dev/fd0u1722 if you don't have it
    >>already.
    >>
    >>"If you use libc.so.6 / glibc, you might need something like:
    >>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib; ./fdformat /dev/fd0u1722"
    >>
    >> From http://www.toms.net/rb/tomsrtbt.FAQ section 4.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps, and if so, please let me know what worked.

    > This works:
    >
    > mknod /dev/fd0u1680 b 2 44
    >
    > (mknod /dev/fd0u1722 b 2 60 - for the 1.722 floppy)
    >
    > fdformat /dev/fd0u1680
    >
    > mkdosfs /dev/fd0u1680 ( or mke2fs)
    >
    > mount /dev/fd0u1680 /mnt/floppy
    >
    > I will have to write a batch as the /dev/ files disappear
    > after every boot, and I can't remember the mknod parameters for more
    > that 10 minutes :P
    > []'s

    And using "man fdformat" would save you all that trouble - but man pages
    are too hard to read, as everyone always says ;-)

  7. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    On 17 Mar 2008 20:16:23 +0100, marksouth wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:02:22 -0300, Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> mknod /dev/fd0u1680 b 2 44
    >>
    >> (mknod /dev/fd0u1722 b 2 60 - for the 1.722 floppy)

    >And using "man fdformat" would save you all that trouble - but man pages
    >are too hard to read, as everyone always says ;-)

    Different versions of fdformat man pages I'm afraid.
    Mine does not even mention the 1680 and 1722 formats, nor the
    /dev trouble with ubuntu.
    []'s

  8. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:49:21 -0300, Shadow wrote:

    > On 17 Mar 2008 20:16:23 +0100, marksouth wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:02:22 -0300, Shadow wrote:
    >>
    >>> mknod /dev/fd0u1680 b 2 44
    >>>
    >>> (mknod /dev/fd0u1722 b 2 60 - for the 1.722 floppy)

    >>And using "man fdformat" would save you all that trouble - but man pages
    >>are too hard to read, as everyone always says ;-)

    > Different versions of fdformat man pages I'm afraid. Mine does

    not even
    > mention the 1680 and 1722 formats, nor the
    > /dev trouble with ubuntu.
    > []'s

    OK, from the Lenny manpage:

    "The generic floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work
    with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the
    format has not been autodetected earlier. In this case, use setfdprm(8)
    to load the disk parameters."

    I don't think fdformat has changed for over decade.

  9. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    Shadow wrote:
    > One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    > alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    > out how to do it in ubuntu.
    > Any help ?
    > TIA

    KDE has a utility GUI called kfloppy.
    Makes it easy.
    Keep smiling.
    Don.

  10. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    * Shadow :
    > One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    > alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    > out how to do it in ubuntu.
    > Any help ?
    > TIA

    The udev rule for creating extra floppy drive device nodes is broken in
    Gutsy and missing altogether from earlier releases IIRC. The following
    corrected rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/80-program.rules' works for me:

    RUN+="create_floppy_devices -c -t $attr{cmos} -m %M -M 0660 -G floppy $root/%k"

    Then use fdformat or superformat (from util-linux and fdutils,
    respectively) with device node that supports the desired capacity.

    --
    James Michael Fultz
    Remove this part when replying ^^^^^^^^

  11. Re: How do I format a floppy in ubuntu ?

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:54:14 -0500, James Michael Fultz
    wrote:

    >* Shadow :
    >> One of the nice things in linux was the ability to format
    >> alternate floppies, like the 1680 and the 1722 ones. But can't figure
    >> out how to do it in ubuntu.
    >> Any help ?
    >> TIA

    >The udev rule for creating extra floppy drive device nodes is broken in
    >Gutsy and missing altogether from earlier releases IIRC. The following
    >corrected rule in '/etc/udev/rules.d/80-program.rules' works for me:
    >
    > RUN+="create_floppy_devices -c -t $attr{cmos} -m %M -M 0660 -G floppy $root/%k"
    >
    >Then use fdformat or superformat (from util-linux and fdutils,
    >respectively) with device node that supports the desired capacity.

    Fantastic. I don't understand what the "rule" does, but all
    the necessary nodes are created, under /dev/fd0/ et al.
    Sorry for very late reply. Anyone with same troubles I had,
    the line above solves the problem.
    FWIW

+ Reply to Thread