Another good reason for switching. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Another good reason for switching. - Ubuntu ; The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still have family that I have to help out on Windows. The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked me to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: Another good reason for switching.

  1. Another good reason for switching.

    The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked
    me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very
    slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the
    clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept to
    use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    Now I think I've seen it all.
    I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    husband can try out Linux.
    caver1

  2. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    caver1 wrote:
    > The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    > have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    > The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked
    > me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very
    > slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    > Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    > expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the
    > clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept to
    > use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    > Now I think I've seen it all.


    Let's be fair: it's not MS's fault that HP has a EULA for its hardware.
    I'd assume that you'll have to click away a EULA even if they had Ubuntu
    pre-installed.

    --
    These are my personal views and not those of Fujitsu Siemens Computers!
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T. Pratchett)
    Company Details: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html

  3. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I
    >> still have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    >> The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600.
    >> Asked me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is
    >> very slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    >> Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    >> expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the
    >> clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept
    >> to use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    >> Now I think I've seen it all.

    >
    > Let's be fair: it's not MS's fault that HP has a EULA for its hardware.
    > I'd assume that you'll have to click away a EULA even if they had Ubuntu
    > pre-installed.
    >



    That's true. But why in hell is there a EULA on the hardware?
    caver1

  4. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    caver1 wrote:
    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:
    >>> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I
    >>> still have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    >>> The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600.
    >>> Asked me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is
    >>> very slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    >>> Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista.
    >>> Okay, expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the
    >>> clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept
    >>> to use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    >>> Now I think I've seen it all.

    >>
    >> Let's be fair: it's not MS's fault that HP has a EULA for its
    >> hardware. I'd assume that you'll have to click away a EULA even if
    >> they had Ubuntu pre-installed.
    >>

    >
    >
    > That's true. But why in hell is there a EULA on the hardware?


    The answer is probably in the EULA.
    Maybe the EULA is for some add-on software that HP distributes with that OS.

    --
    These are my personal views and not those of Fujitsu Siemens Computers!
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T. Pratchett)
    Company Details: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html

  5. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:53:04 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    > have family that I have to help out on Windows. The other day my oldest
    > daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked me to set it up for her.
    > Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very slow compared to my Amd x2
    > with Gutsy. Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for
    > Vista. Okay, expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do
    > the clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept
    > to use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware! Now I
    > think I've seen it all.
    > I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    > husband can try out Linux.
    > caver1


    I was a computer professional for 30 years. In my retirement, folks often
    ask for help. My response is simply that I don't do MS - if they'd like
    some Linux help, I'll be glad to assist - from installing to help in
    setting up or using it. I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at
    the local library and do several web sites.

  6. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    * Josef Moellers wrote, On 13/03/08 11:01 AM:
    > caver1 wrote:


    >> That's true. But why in hell is there a EULA on the hardware?

    >
    > The answer is probably in the EULA.
    > Maybe the EULA is for some add-on software that HP distributes with that
    > OS.


    Likely the 'HP vista restore' software that is installed into a separate partition.

    BEWARE this software...

    The new vista bootloader fubar'd on my HP desktop. I don't like to have vista
    installed, but it's a default for some circumstances -- so I had to reinstall.

    The HP Vista Recovery from the delivered 'RECOVERY' partition would not boot, so
    I had to use the DVD backup of the recovery software I had made. When I
    re-installed, there was no option given to select a specific hard drive -- so it
    SHOULD reinstall to the partition with windows on it (that I had duly
    backed-up), the one on the factory-fresh hard drive BUT NO, the 'HP Vista
    Recovery' software wiped my Ubuntu partitions on a separate, older drive and
    installed Vista in its place. So now I get to reinstall everything on *two* OS's.

    For awhile I hated HP as much as Microsoft, maybe more.

    The only positive that came from this is that now Ubuntu is installed on the
    newer, faster, bigger SATA drive, instead of the older, slower, smaller, IDE
    drive that HP dumped Vista onto.








  7. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    In <63t0gjF28nt3nU1@mid.individual.net> ray:

    [Snip...]

    > My response is simply that I don't do MS


    When I was at work, I had plenty of *nix tasks, but still had engineers
    literally begging me or anybody to fix some silly M$ desktop BS. It got
    so bad, I put a notice on my wall: "I Don't Do Windows--Please See Your
    Professional Well-Compensated Corporate IT Staff" or somesuch.

    > Linux help, I'll be glad to assist


    I have my 80+ year old parents on Linux from a machine so infested with
    Doze malware even local PC repair shops literally couldn't fix it. Took
    me a couple of hours to get SuSE Linux and browsing/email on it.

    (4 or so years now; I don't think you could PAY them to do Doze again)

    > I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at the local library


    Thanks for taking your time to help local library patrons; it's vital.

    I suspect (like my parents) they're amazed at how reliable Linux is--if
    not so transparently easy to use, they don't care it's Linux.

    So much for wintrolls whining about "a difficult hobby OS" nonsense.

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  8. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:50:59 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In <63t0gjF28nt3nU1@mid.individual.net> ray:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> My response is simply that I don't do MS

    >
    > When I was at work, I had plenty of *nix tasks, but still had engineers
    > literally begging me or anybody to fix some silly M$ desktop BS. It got
    > so bad, I put a notice on my wall: "I Don't Do Windows--Please See Your
    > Professional Well-Compensated Corporate IT Staff" or somesuch.
    >
    >> Linux help, I'll be glad to assist

    >
    > I have my 80+ year old parents on Linux from a machine so infested with
    > Doze malware even local PC repair shops literally couldn't fix it. Took
    > me a couple of hours to get SuSE Linux and browsing/email on it.
    >
    > (4 or so years now; I don't think you could PAY them to do Doze again)
    >
    >> I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at the local library

    >
    > Thanks for taking your time to help local library patrons; it's vital.
    >
    > I suspect (like my parents) they're amazed at how reliable Linux is--if
    > not so transparently easy to use, they don't care it's Linux.
    >
    > So much for wintrolls whining about "a difficult hobby OS" nonsense.


    As a matter of fact, the transition to Linux was trivial for all the
    patrons. A customer satisfaction survey conducted about a year after the
    fact that several regular users were unaware they were not using some
    version of MS. To date - about three years now - there have been zero
    complaints. There is still one xp machine and one vista - in case there
    are some 'hard-liners' out there - as far as I know, there have not been
    any. The transition was done on a 'sink or swim' basis. No training, no
    help on hand - the Linux computers simply appeared one day. They point
    needs to be made, that they patrons and staff do not maintain the systems
    - I stop bye every month or two for a couple of hours and do updates. But
    still, it is not that difficult.

    In my experience, I've run across two basic types of folks. There are
    those who, like you suggest, simply use the computer as a tool - they
    could give a rat's ass what the system is as long as it works. The other
    are the other types who are completely closed to anything new - as my
    brother-in-law says he "doesn't have time to learn a new system". Of
    course he has the time to learn a new MS version everytime he gets a new
    computer. My sister, on the other hand, simply wants to get things done -
    has adapted very well to our totally Linux household when they are here
    visiting.

  9. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Josef Moellers wrote:
    >>> caver1 wrote:
    >>>> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I
    >>>> still have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    >>>> The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600.
    >>>> Asked me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It
    >>>> is very slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    >>>> Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista.
    >>>> Okay, expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do
    >>>> the clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to
    >>>> accept to use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    >>>> Now I think I've seen it all.
    >>>
    >>> Let's be fair: it's not MS's fault that HP has a EULA for its
    >>> hardware. I'd assume that you'll have to click away a EULA even if
    >>> they had Ubuntu pre-installed.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> That's true. But why in hell is there a EULA on the hardware?

    >
    > The answer is probably in the EULA.
    > Maybe the EULA is for some add-on software that HP distributes with that
    > OS.
    >



    So before you even get to see what is installed or what is waiting to be
    installed you have to accept the EULA to use the computer. As it stated
    you had to accept the EULA before you could use the computer, not before
    you could use the software. The only software loaded was the OS. All the
    rest was trials or go here if you want Vonage etc.
    caver1

  10. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:53:04 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    >> have family that I have to help out on Windows. The other day my oldest
    >> daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked me to set it up for her.
    >> Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very slow compared to my Amd x2
    >> with Gutsy. Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for
    >> Vista. Okay, expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do
    >> the clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept
    >> to use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware! Now I
    >> think I've seen it all.
    >> I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    >> husband can try out Linux.
    >> caver1

    >
    > I was a computer professional for 30 years. In my retirement, folks often
    > ask for help. My response is simply that I don't do MS - if they'd like
    > some Linux help, I'll be glad to assist - from installing to help in
    > setting up or using it. I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at
    > the local library and do several web sites.




    Smart, but when its family its hard to refuse.
    caver1

  11. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    caver1 wrote:

    > The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    > have family that I have to help out on Windows.


    I must say, I used Ubuntu for a while, as well. Most things indeed work out
    of the box, as long as you don't want to install things like dazuko/clamd
    or a new kernel from outside the ubuntu repositories, or squid/privoxy and
    so on.
    Sometimes they will start in order, other times they step on each others
    feet and you have to start them manually one by one to get on the net.
    I got back to Mandriva.

    > The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked
    > me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very
    > slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.


    Ouch. Suppose it is the basic vista version.

    > Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    > expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the
    > clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept to
    > use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    > Now I think I've seen it all.


    You know about the "hp update manager" and it's vulnerabilities?
    At w0rkplace, we indeed wipe clean every new lap and install our own XP
    without the crap (3-month-versions of norton hard to get rid of, some
    adware and whatever). It is a P.I.T.A, however, to install devices (UAA
    patch, HD audio, tpm module, and the winmodem) in proper order.

    > I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    > husband can try out Linux.


    Good Luck
    Now, I am using linux at work as well, but what to do against a new asset
    software running only from within IE and .net 2.0? It appears to work
    somehow from within wine, but often enough IE just disappears ...


    --
    vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux 2.6.24. [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  12. Re: Another good reason for switching.


    "caver1" wrote in message
    news:47d92399$0$1097$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    > The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    > have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    > The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked me
    > to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very slow
    > compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    > Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    > expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the clicking.
    > THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept to use the
    > computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    > Now I think I've seen it all.
    > I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    > husband can try out Linux.
    > caver1


    So your blaming Microsoft because HP has an EULA agreement on the machine.
    Yes, EULA agreements for pc's have been around for at least eight years. And
    by bypassing that and installing
    another operating system on it you just eliminated any support from
    HP/Compaq on your daughters brand new computer..



  13. Re: Another good reason for switching.


    "caver1" wrote in message
    news:47d9395c$0$12590$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:
    >>> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    >>> have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    >>> The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked
    >>> me to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very
    >>> slow compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    >>> Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    >>> expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the
    >>> clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept to
    >>> use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    >>> Now I think I've seen it all.

    >>
    >> Let's be fair: it's not MS's fault that HP has a EULA for its hardware.
    >> I'd assume that you'll have to click away a EULA even if they had Ubuntu
    >> pre-installed.
    >>

    >
    >
    > That's true. But why in hell is there a EULA on the hardware?
    > caver1


    Did you bother to read it? When it comes support time you'll know why.



  14. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    Harold Stevens wrote:
    > In <63t0gjF28nt3nU1@mid.individual.net> ray:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> My response is simply that I don't do MS

    >
    > When I was at work, I had plenty of *nix tasks, but still had engineers
    > literally begging me or anybody to fix some silly M$ desktop BS. It got
    > so bad, I put a notice on my wall: "I Don't Do Windows--Please See Your
    > Professional Well-Compensated Corporate IT Staff" or somesuch.
    >
    >> Linux help, I'll be glad to assist

    >
    > I have my 80+ year old parents on Linux from a machine so infested with
    > Doze malware even local PC repair shops literally couldn't fix it. Took
    > me a couple of hours to get SuSE Linux and browsing/email on it.
    >
    > (4 or so years now; I don't think you could PAY them to do Doze again)
    >
    >> I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at the local library

    >
    > Thanks for taking your time to help local library patrons; it's vital.
    >
    > I suspect (like my parents) they're amazed at how reliable Linux is--if
    > not so transparently easy to use, they don't care it's Linux.
    >
    > So much for wintrolls whining about "a difficult hobby OS" nonsense.
    >



    That's like my youngest. Because of school she is use to using MS and
    MACs. At home I've got her using Ubuntu. Her comments are how much
    faster and easier Linux programs are to use. As soon as my wife has this
    years taxes done. I will move her over to Linux and our house will be
    Windows free.
    caver1

  15. Re: Another good reason for switching.


    "ray" wrote in message
    news:63t0gjF28nt3nU1@mid.individual.net...
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:53:04 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    >> have family that I have to help out on Windows. The other day my oldest
    >> daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked me to set it up for her.
    >> Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very slow compared to my Amd x2
    >> with Gutsy. Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for
    >> Vista. Okay, expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do
    >> the clicking. THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept
    >> to use the computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware! Now I
    >> think I've seen it all.
    >> I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    >> husband can try out Linux.
    >> caver1

    >
    > I was a computer professional for 30 years. In my retirement, folks often
    > ask for help. My response is simply that I don't do MS - if they'd like
    > some Linux help, I'll be glad to assist - from installing to help in
    > setting up or using it. I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at
    > the local library and do several web sites.


    That's good. If you don't know anything about something then you shouldn't
    support it.



  16. Re: Another good reason for switching.


    "ray" wrote in message
    news:63t90lF29f060U1@mid.individual.net...
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:50:59 +0000, Harold Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> In <63t0gjF28nt3nU1@mid.individual.net> ray:
    >>
    >> [Snip...]
    >>
    >>> My response is simply that I don't do MS

    >>
    >> When I was at work, I had plenty of *nix tasks, but still had engineers
    >> literally begging me or anybody to fix some silly M$ desktop BS. It got
    >> so bad, I put a notice on my wall: "I Don't Do Windows--Please See Your
    >> Professional Well-Compensated Corporate IT Staff" or somesuch.
    >>
    >>> Linux help, I'll be glad to assist

    >>
    >> I have my 80+ year old parents on Linux from a machine so infested with
    >> Doze malware even local PC repair shops literally couldn't fix it. Took
    >> me a couple of hours to get SuSE Linux and browsing/email on it.
    >>
    >> (4 or so years now; I don't think you could PAY them to do Doze again)
    >>
    >>> I now admin nine Linux seats (public access) at the local library

    >>
    >> Thanks for taking your time to help local library patrons; it's vital.
    >>
    >> I suspect (like my parents) they're amazed at how reliable Linux is--if
    >> not so transparently easy to use, they don't care it's Linux.
    >>
    >> So much for wintrolls whining about "a difficult hobby OS" nonsense.

    >
    > As a matter of fact, the transition to Linux was trivial for all the
    > patrons. A customer satisfaction survey conducted about a year after the
    > fact that several regular users were unaware they were not using some
    > version of MS.


    That's because in libraires the patrons either use the web browser or a
    proprietary program
    for searching. The computers are normally set up as kiosks andt they have no
    conatct with
    the actual workings of the computer (hardware or software). The computers
    are on and
    ready to go for them when they siit down. Of course they don't know what OS
    they're
    using becasue they never see anything but what they're allowed to see.
    What a piss poor example.




  17. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    Harold Stevens writes:

    > In <63t0gjF28nt3nU1@mid.individual.net> ray:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> My response is simply that I don't do MS

    >
    > When I was at work, I had plenty of *nix tasks, but still had engineers
    > literally begging me or anybody to fix some silly M$ desktop BS. It got
    > so bad, I put a notice on my wall: "I Don't Do Windows--Please See Your
    > Professional Well-Compensated Corporate IT Staff" or somesuch.


    You sound like that other old fogey Bill Baka - full of **** and
    clueless about anything half modern. Give it up Harold - if you were
    half as knowledgeable as you claim you would have posted at least one
    help post in this group. All you ever do is whine about MS and tell us
    how clever you are.

  18. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    "kmbfha" wrote in
    news:dReCj.72541$I5.54562@fe09.news.easynews.com:

    > That's because in libraires the patrons either use the web browser or
    > a proprietary program
    > for searching. The computers are normally set up as kiosks andt they
    > have no conatct with
    > the actual workings of the computer (hardware or software). The
    > computers are on and
    > ready to go for them when they siit down. Of course they don't know
    > what OS they're
    > using becasue they never see anything but what they're allowed to see.


    And what is different between this and much of the corporate world, being a
    user, and nothing more. They can turn on the PC, use the s/w, set up some
    personal preferences, but that's about it.

  19. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    On 2008-03-13, kmbfha wrote:
    >
    > "caver1" wrote in message
    > news:47d92399$0$1097$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >> The longer I use Ubuntu the more I hate using Windows machinces. I still
    >> have family that I have to help out on Windows.
    >> The other day my oldest daughter bought a new Compaq Amd x2 3600. Asked me
    >> to set it up for her. Wasn't hard had Vista installed. It is very slow
    >> compared to my Amd x2 with Gutsy.
    >> Then the setup program started to run. First the EULA for Vista. Okay,
    >> expected. Clicked I accept. Of course I made my daughter do the clicking.
    >> THEN the unexpected an EULA from HP that she had to accept to use the
    >> computer she bought!??? Yes an EULA for the hardware!
    >> Now I think I've seen it all.
    >> I've talked her into letting me install Wubi and Unbuntu so her and her
    >> husband can try out Linux.
    >> caver1

    >
    > So your blaming Microsoft because HP has an EULA agreement on the machine.
    > Yes, EULA agreements for pc's have been around for at least eight years. And
    > by bypassing that and installing
    > another operating system on it you just eliminated any support from
    > HP/Compaq on your daughters brand new computer..
    >

    Yes, but since the OP seems to be providing the support does it matter? In
    fact it might be an advantage.


  20. Re: Another good reason for switching.

    On 2008-03-13, Walter Mautner wrote:
    >


    > Now, I am using linux at work as well, but what to do against a new asset
    > software running only from within IE and .net 2.0? It appears to work
    > somehow from within wine, but often enough IE just disappears ...
    >

    You might like to try virtualisation. Run MS windows as a virtual machine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast