Oops... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Oops... - Ubuntu ; Linux withdrawn from sale Nobody wants it, apparently By Nick Farrell: Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 8:02 AM LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart because the supermarket giant claims that customers don't want them. Wal-Mart spokeswoman ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 116

  1. Oops...

    Linux withdrawn from sale
    Nobody wants it, apparently

    By Nick Farrell: Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 8:02 AM

    LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart because the
    supermarket giant claims that customers don't want them.
    Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien told AP that punters wanted Windows
    more and were not interested in the fact the Linux machines were cheaper.

    Wal-Mart has been testing demand for Linux with an open-source operating
    system "Green gPC," made by Everex. However while they sold OK from the
    outfit's e-commerce site, shop customers were apparently avoiding them like
    herpes.

    However this might seem strange to most people as Wal-Mart actually sold out
    the in-store gPC inventory and then decided not to restock.

  2. Re: Oops...

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:53:34 -0400, nopam wrote:

    > However this might seem strange to most people as Wal-Mart actually sold
    > out the in-store gPC inventory and then decided not to restock.

    If Walmart's presence in the UK, via their Asda stores, is anything to go
    by, they don't much care about customer choice anyway.

  3. Re: Oops...

    In article <47d664ad$0$16654$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    nopam wrote:
    > Linux withdrawn from sale
    > Nobody wants it, apparently
    >
    > By Nick Farrell: Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 8:02 AM
    >

    > LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart because the
    > supermarket giant claims that customers don't want them.
    > Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien told AP that punters wanted Windows
    > more and were not interested in the fact the Linux machines were cheaper.
    >
    > Wal-Mart has been testing demand for Linux with an open-source operating
    > system "Green gPC," made by Everex. However while they sold OK from the
    > outfit's e-commerce site, shop customers were apparently avoiding them like
    > herpes.
    >
    > However this might seem strange to most people as Wal-Mart actually sold out
    > the in-store gPC inventory and then decided not to restock.

    IIRC the gPC's specs were rather low. Maybe it's not that users don't
    want Linux so much as they don't want an underspecced machine.

    PISCES: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola
    virus. You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those
    idiots at work say. -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_

  4. Re: Oops...

    Hactar (ebenZEROONE@verizon.net (Hactar)) gurgled happily, sounding much
    like they were saying:

    >> However this might seem strange to most people as Wal-Mart actually
    >> sold out the in-store gPC inventory and then decided not to restock. µ

    > IIRC the gPC's specs were rather low. Maybe it's not that users don't
    > want Linux so much as they don't want an underspecced machine.

    Even ignoring the fact that WalMart SOLD OUT, then decided not to restock
    (why not?) - do people tend to go to Walmart for power machines?

  5. Re: Oops...

    Exactly what I would expect. Without proper training most sales people
    are ignorant. I can see a typical exchange:

    Customer: Gee - what's that it looks a little different?

    Sales: Oh, just some off the wall thing no one ever heard of. It won't
    even run Microsoft applications. I'm sure you don't want that.

  6. Re: Oops...

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:53:34 -0400, nopam wrote:

    > Linux withdrawn from sale
    > Nobody wants it, apparently
    >
    > By Nick Farrell: Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 8:02 AM
    >

    > LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart because the
    > supermarket giant claims that customers don't want them. Wal-Mart
    > spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien told AP that punters wanted Windows more and
    > were not interested in the fact the Linux machines were cheaper.
    >
    > Wal-Mart has been testing demand for Linux with an open-source operating
    > system "Green gPC," made by Everex. However while they sold OK from the
    > outfit's e-commerce site, shop customers were apparently avoiding them
    > like herpes.
    >
    > However this might seem strange to most people as Wal-Mart actually sold
    > out the in-store gPC inventory and then decided not to restock.

    Several hypotheses pop up, including:

    Microsoft offered WalMart a (very slightly) lower price on its software
    in exchange for dumping the gPC.

    Too many gPCs were getting returned by dimwit customers who saw the low
    price, read no further, and expected the machine to run the bootleg copy
    of Photoshop they brought home from work.

    Walmart didn't want to have to teach its salesdroids what an operating
    system is.

    Most of the software that runs on Linux is available for free download.
    Not even Satan's Retailer can undersell that.

    I have no idea which (if any) of these is true.

  7. Re: Oops...

    "nopam" wrote in

    > LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart

    Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up the
    slack.

    --
    pcbldrNinetyEight

  8. Re: Oops...

    "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...
    > "nopam" wrote in
    >
    >> LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart

    > Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up the
    > slack.
    >
    > --
    > pcbldrNinetyEight

    HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.

    The problem is customers Windows apps won't run on Linux so they take them
    back. The average person has no desire to tinker with a computer to make it
    work. They want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't they either take it
    back or put it in a corner.

  9. Re: Oops...

    kmbfha wrote:

    > "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...
    >> "nopam" wrote in
    >>
    >>> LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart

    >> Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up
    >> the slack.
    >>
    >> --
    >> pcbldrNinetyEight

    > HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.
    >
    > The problem is customers Windows apps won't run on Linux so they take them
    > back. The average person has no desire to tinker with a computer to make
    > it work. They want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't they either
    > take it back or put it in a corner.

    Like they're doing in droves with Vista?

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  10. Re: Oops...

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:06:35 +0000, kmbfha wrote:

    > "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...
    >> "nopam" wrote in
    >>
    >>> LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart

    >> Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up
    >> the slack.
    >>
    >> --
    >> pcbldrNinetyEight

    > HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.
    >
    > The problem is customers Windows apps won't run on Linux so they take
    > them back. The average person has no desire to tinker with a computer to
    > make it work. They want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't they
    > either take it back or put it in a corner.

    In the near future, despite their past familiarity with Windows, people
    are going to find that they can no longer buy Windows on a new computer
    unless they buy Vista on high-end hardware.

  11. Re: Oops...

    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message

    > In the near future, despite their past familiarity with Windows, people
    > are going to find that they can no longer buy Windows on a new computer
    > unless they buy Vista on high-end hardware.

    Guess what will happen.. they will buy Vista on high end hardware, who knows
    it may even run the games they buy?
    The other likely scenario is that they will keep the XP machine they have as
    it probably does what they want.
    I didn't go out and buy Vista BTW, it came as an insurance replacement for a
    machine I broke. However vista is nowhere near as bad as none stop and some
    of the other trolls make out, its just different, not very different but
    enough for the trolls to have fun.
    I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn better.

  12. Re: Oops...

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:06:35 +0000, kmbfha wrote:
    >
    >> "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...
    >>> "nopam" wrote in

    >>> Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up
    >>> the slack.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> pcbldrNinetyEight

    >> HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.
    >>
    >> The problem is customers Windows apps won't run on Linux so they take
    >> them back. The average person has no desire to tinker with a computer to
    >> make it work. They want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't they
    >> either take it back or put it in a corner.

    > In the near future, despite their past familiarity with Windows, people
    > are going to find that they can no longer buy Windows on a new computer
    > unless they buy Vista on high-end hardware.

    There's always eBay. A lot of companies are stupid enough to sell off
    the old XP to another company just to recover some of their 'losses'
    that they think will happen because people will jump in the new Vista.
    The company that buys this 'obsolete' stock will then sell them on bay,
    often for a healthy profit. That is their 'job' and many are very
    successful at it. Another reason is that companies don't want to pay the
    feds the 'inventory tax' and the smart(er) ones will sell it off right
    about now, the dumbest ones will toss it in the trash, and one I worked
    for had the stockroom guy smashing good power supplies so nobody could
    dumpster dive.

    Vista is that bad, as all the major electronics magazines advise not to
    'downgrade' to Vista, since you will have to buy a newer and faster
    computer just to get the same speed as you had with XP.

    One tidbit of good news is that idiot McBride is getting the boot from
    SCO, finally, so maybe now that the FUD is over, linux can take off.

    Cheers,
    Bill Baka

  13. Re: Oops...

    dennis@home wrote:

    > "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >

    >> In the near future, despite their past familiarity with Windows, people
    >> are going to find that they can no longer buy Windows on a new computer
    >> unless they buy Vista on high-end hardware.
    >>

    > Guess what will happen.. they will buy Vista on high end hardware, who
    > knows it may even run the games they buy?
    > The other likely scenario is that they will keep the XP machine they
    > have as it probably does what they want.
    > I didn't go out and buy Vista BTW, it came as an insurance replacement
    > for a machine I broke. However vista is nowhere near as bad as none stop
    > and some of the other trolls make out, its just different, not very
    > different but enough for the trolls to have fun.
    > I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    > droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn better.

    2 things.

    SCO fired McBride today so the FUD campaign is over. Now maybe Linux can
    really take off.

    You have no clue. All 20 of my electronics magazines are advising not to
    rush out and buy Vista. That isn't my opinion, it's theirs.

    Buy Vista pro for $300(?), then you have to spend $3,000 for a hopped up
    gamer machine to get the same speed as XP.
    What's so hard to understand?

    Trolls my ass.

    I can give you URLs for most of them if you want to doubt me.

    You aren't winning this one.

    Bill Baka

  14. Re: Oops...

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > SCO fired McBride today so the FUD campaign is over. Now maybe Linux can
    > really take off.

    Take off? Let me clue you in about linux ok. 350+ distros is the main
    problem. Then look at a decade old GUI. Then read some of the insane
    fanatical zealot bull**** you see in all of the open sores **** hole
    ng's. Pathetic! You actually believe that the masses want anything to do
    with these lunatics? Nostop is a excellent example of just what I'm
    referring to.
    Last but not least is the total lack of leadership...or rather a real
    leader. LT isn't (hell his relatives won't even use linux) and RS is the
    computer equivalent of T. Leary.
    The sum of linux is less than any one of it's parts.
    Big problem!

    > You have no clue. All 20 of my electronics magazines are advising not to
    > rush out and buy Vista.

    Yeah, people like CP are real computers geniuses right?

    That isn't my opinion, it's theirs.

    > Buy Vista pro for $300(?),

    Where? Hey I'll sell you a copy for $299...LOL!

    then you have to spend $3,000 for a hopped up
    > gamer machine to get the same speed as XP.

    You're out of your mind...or totally clueless...or both!

    > What's so hard to understand?

    Nothing really, other than you appear to not know what you're talking about.
    Simple huh?

    > Trolls my ass.
    >
    > I can give you URLs for most of them if you want to doubt me.
    >
    > You aren't winning this one.

    Well you're certain not winning either and nor is linux.
    Frank

  15. Re: Oops...

    Stephen J. Rush wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:53:34 -0400, nopam wrote:
    >

    >>Linux withdrawn from sale
    >>Nobody wants it, apparently
    >>
    >>By Nick Farrell: Tuesday, 11 March 2008, 8:02 AM
    >>

    >>LINUX computers are to be taken off the shelves at WalMart because the
    >>supermarket giant claims that customers don't want them. Wal-Mart
    >>spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien told AP that punters wanted Windows more and
    >>were not interested in the fact the Linux machines were cheaper.
    >>
    >>Wal-Mart has been testing demand for Linux with an open-source operating
    >>system "Green gPC," made by Everex. However while they sold OK from the
    >>outfit's e-commerce site, shop customers were apparently avoiding them
    >>like herpes.
    >>
    >>However this might seem strange to most people as Wal-Mart actually sold
    >>out the in-store gPC inventory and then decided not to restock.

    > Several hypotheses pop up, including:
    >
    > Microsoft offered WalMart a (very slightly) lower price on its software
    > in exchange for dumping the gPC.
    >
    > Too many gPCs were getting returned by dimwit customers who saw the low
    > price, read no further, and expected the machine to run the bootleg copy
    > of Photoshop they brought home from work.
    >
    > Walmart didn't want to have to teach its salesdroids what an operating
    > system is.
    >
    > Most of the software that runs on Linux is available for free download.
    > Not even Satan's Retailer can undersell that.
    >
    > I have no idea which (if any) of these is true.

    Nice try but no cigar. Walmart sold two linux laptops. Well not really.
    One was stolen and a customer drop and broke the other one.
    Enough is enough!
    Then Walmart quit the debacle.
    Frank

  16. Re: Oops...

    Bill Baka writes:

    > mimus wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:06:35 +0000, kmbfha wrote:
    >>
    >>> "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    >>> news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...

    >>> HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.

    > You have missed 2 key points.
    >
    > SCO is getting rid of McBride and soon to be bankrupt, so the FUD
    > campaign is over. Now companies that were in fear of a lawsuit can
    > rest easy and try Linux.

    Nonsense.

  17. Re: Oops...

    Frank wrote:
    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >

    >> SCO fired McBride today so the FUD campaign is over. Now maybe Linux
    >> can really take off.

    > Take off? Let me clue you in about linux ok. 350+ distros is the main
    > problem. Then look at a decade old GUI. Then read some of the insane
    > fanatical zealot bull**** you see in all of the open sores **** hole
    > ng's. Pathetic! You actually believe that the masses want anything to do
    > with these lunatics? Nostop is a excellent example of just what I'm
    > referring to.
    > Last but not least is the total lack of leadership...or rather a real
    > leader. LT isn't (hell his relatives won't even use linux) and RS is the
    > computer equivalent of T. Leary.
    > The sum of linux is less than any one of it's parts.
    > Big problem!

    I am hoping that 350 shrinks to about 5 main contenders by attrition.

    >> You have no clue. All 20 of my electronics magazines are advising not
    >> to rush out and buy Vista.

    > Yeah, people like CP are real computers geniuses right?

    I posted the URLs to 2 articles that should put some teeth into my
    argument. Go read them and shut up.

    > That isn't my opinion, it's theirs.
    >>
    >> Buy Vista pro for $300(?),

    > Where? Hey I'll sell you a copy for $299...LOL!

    Do you understand why I put the (?) after the price? I don't want it and
    haven't looked. No time.

    > then you have to spend $3,000 for a hopped up
    >> gamer machine to get the same speed as XP.

    > You're out of your mind...or totally clueless...or both!

    Then all of the electronics magazine writers must be idiots, too.

    >> What's so hard to understand?

    > Nothing really, other than you appear to not know what you're talking
    > about.
    > Simple huh?

    I am not a gamer and I don't like the DRM and other crap that they put
    in as an added benefit. What do you think MRU's are for? So your
    computer can phone home and feed them what you have been doing.
    IOW, screw Microsoft.
    XP is needed for some programs that Linux does not have an equivalent for.

    >> Trolls my ass.
    >>
    >> I can give you URLs for most of them if you want to doubt me.
    >>
    >> You aren't winning this one.

    > Well you're certain not winning either and nor is linux.
    > Frank

    Read the damned articles or STFU.

    Bill Baka

  18. Re: Oops...

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:40:10 +0000, ray wrote:

    > Exactly what I would expect. Without proper training most sales people
    > are ignorant. I can see a typical exchange:
    >
    > Customer: Gee - what's that it looks a little different?
    >
    > Sales: Oh, just some off the wall thing no one ever heard of. It won't
    > even run Microsoft applications. I'm sure you don't want that.

    Walmart has salespeople?

    --

    Usenet: The Biggest and Oldest and Most Powerful Net-Forum of All!

  19. Re: Oops...

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:12:05 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

    > vista is nowhere near as bad as none stop and some
    > of the other trolls make out, its just different, not very different but
    > enough for the trolls to have fun.
    > I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    > droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn better.

    No-one planning on using their machine for serious computing, including
    business computing, is going to find a machine acceptable which will
    interrupt programs based on various and variously-wonky DRM algorithms,
    and the manufacturer of which retains the right according to it to enter
    that system via the Internet and delete programs and files it disapproves
    of or which again fail to pass various and variously-wonky DRM algorithms.

    Vista is not a serious microcomputer.

    It's a media-center and maybe game-machine.

    --

    Kill. Kill! KILL!

    < comp.os.linux.misc

    http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

  20. Re: Oops...

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > Frank wrote:

    >> Well you're certain not winning either and nor is linux.
    >> Frank

    > Read the damned articles or STFU.
    >
    > Bill Baka

    Big mistake Bill! You're assuming Francis is capable of reading and
    understanding anything. He's proven over and over again that with his IQ of
    60, he's just not capable of comprehending anything. He claims he suffered
    a massive brain injury on the battlefield and it shows.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?