Oops... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Oops... - Ubuntu ; On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:12:05 +0000, dennis@home wrote: > I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in > droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn > better. ...

  1. Re: Oops...

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:12:05 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

    > I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    > droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn
    > better.

    If Linux is so uninteresting then why do you spend so much time in this
    newsgroup.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  2. Re: Oops...

    Bill Baka wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > You have no clue. All 20 of my electronics magazines are advising
    > not to rush out and buy Vista. That isn't my opinion, it's theirs.

    Here (in the sig) are some more opinions.

  3. Re: Oops...

    Bill Baka wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Read the damned articles or STFU.

    Well, you are attracting the obscene trolls. dennis@home, Frank,
    NoStop, also Hadron and Dan C.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: Oops...

    Bill Baka wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Baka wrote:
    >>

    >>> SCO fired McBride today so the FUD campaign is over. Now maybe Linux
    >>> can really take off.

    >> Take off? Let me clue you in about linux ok. 350+ distros is the main
    >> problem. Then look at a decade old GUI. Then read some of the insane
    >> fanatical zealot bull**** you see in all of the open sores **** hole
    >> ng's. Pathetic! You actually believe that the masses want anything to
    >> do with these lunatics? Nostop is a excellent example of just what I'm
    >> referring to.
    >> Last but not least is the total lack of leadership...or rather a real
    >> leader. LT isn't (hell his relatives won't even use linux) and RS is
    >> the computer equivalent of T. Leary.
    >> The sum of linux is less than any one of it's parts.
    >> Big problem!

    > I am hoping that 350 shrinks to about 5 main contenders by attrition.

    OMG! The first real answer I've ever had from a linux user.
    5 is still 4 too many. Try one and get paid professional programmers.
    Then the competition with Windows and Mac can really and truly begin.

    >>> You have no clue. All 20 of my electronics magazines are advising not
    >>> to rush out and buy Vista.

    >> Yeah, people like CP are real computers geniuses right?

    > I posted the URLs to 2 articles that should put some teeth into my
    > argument. Go read them and shut up.

    I did. They're full of ****! The problem is these e-rag wannabe
    journalist don't actually use Vista in a real production mode.
    I do.

    >> That isn't my opinion, it's theirs.
    >>

    >>> Buy Vista pro for $300(?),

    >> Where? Hey I'll sell you a copy for $299...LOL!

    > Do you understand why I put the (?) after the price? I don't want it and
    > haven't looked. No time.
    >

    >> then you have to spend $3,000 for a hopped up
    >>
    >>> gamer machine to get the same speed as XP.

    >> You're out of your mind...or totally clueless...or both!

    > Then all of the electronics magazine writers must be idiots, too.

    Do you build your own? If you do then you'd know 3k is way over the top
    price wise.
    Try half that for a real screamer.

    >>> What's so hard to understand?

    >> Nothing really, other than you appear to not know what you're talking
    >> about.
    >> Simple huh?

    > I am not a gamer and I don't like the DRM and other crap that they put
    > in as an added benefit.

    Oh...I get it. Hey ok...but DRM or some form of DRM will eventually make
    to all OS's. Linux included!

    What do you think MRU's are for? So your
    > computer can phone home and feed them what you have been doing.
    > IOW, screw Microsoft.

    Hehehe...well...if you know what you're doing...you can eliminate what
    is being sent "home"...if anything.
    Hell, your GD grocery store knows much more about you than MS ever will!
    Did you know that?

    > XP is needed for some programs that Linux does not have an equivalent for.
    >

    >>> Trolls my ass.
    >>>
    >>> I can give you URLs for most of them if you want to doubt me.
    >>>
    >>> You aren't winning this one.

    >> Well you're certain not winning either and nor is linux.
    >> Frank

    > Read the damned articles or STFU.

    I've read the articles. Better yet, I've been fooling around with linux
    distros for the last decade and I've been a beta tester for most major
    software companies and I've got 17 boxes (business *& personal) running
    Vista Ultimate.
    I'm not a closed mind MS "fanboy", nor am I a fukkin zealot fanatic. I'm
    right in the meat of the bell curve of computer users.
    IOW's, all of these computer software/hardware companies always want to
    know what I think and what I want and what I use. I am the market
    statistic they like to go after.
    Frank

  5. Re: Oops...

    NoStop wrote:

    > Bill Baka wrote:
    >

    >>Frank wrote:

    >>>Well you're certain not winning either and nor is linux.
    >>>Frank

    >>Read the damned articles or STFU.
    >>
    >>Bill Baka

    > Big mistake Bill! You're assuming Francis is capable of reading and
    > understanding anything. He's proven over and over again that with his IQ of
    > 60, he's just not capable of comprehending anything. He claims he suffered
    > a massive brain injury on the battlefield and it shows.
    >
    > Cheers.

    You're not any part of any linux solution. You're a big part of the
    linux problem and I think even in this linux ng most realize that fact.
    You have some real problems and you need help.
    Too bad you can't deal with that reality.
    Frank

  6. Re: Oops...

    mimus wrote:

    ....Vista is not a serious microcomputer.

    It's a media-center and maybe game-machine.

    Hahaha...you're funny!
    The world runs on Microsoft desktop OS's including Vista.
    Sorry!
    Frank

  7. Re: Oops...

    jebblue wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:12:05 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >

    >>I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    >>droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn
    >>better.

    > If Linux is so uninteresting then why do you spend so much time in this
    > newsgroup.

    If MS is so bad why do you linux clowns spend so much time bashing it in
    this ng?
    Frank

  8. Re: Oops...

    Hadron wrote:

    > Bill Baka writes:
    >

    >>mimus wrote:

    >>You have missed 2 key points.
    >>
    >>SCO is getting rid of McBride and soon to be bankrupt, so the FUD
    >>campaign is over. Now companies that were in fear of a lawsuit can
    >>rest easy and try Linux.

    > Nonsense.

    Yeah, real nonsense!
    Frank

  9. Re: Oops...

    Frank wrote:

    > I am the market statistic they like to go after.
    > Frank

    The only outfit that would be interested in YOU as a market statistic is the
    company that sells Clozaril.

    http://www.clozaril.com

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  10. Re: Oops...

    NoStop wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    >

    >>I am the market statistic they like to go after.
    >>Frank

    > The only outfit that would be interested in YOU as a market statistic is the
    > company that sells Clozaril.
    >
    > http://www.clozaril.com
    >
    > Cheers.

    Sorry doris, but we all know that you're way out on the end of the bell
    curse or right at the beginning.
    IOW's, as a meaningful statistic, you don't even exist...LOL!
    Frank

  11. Re: Oops...

    > If MS is so bad why do you linux clowns spend so much time bashing it in
    > this ng?

    ....because it's closed source, and we'd rather use linux if we can
    make it work with unpuplished non-standard sloppy code. THAT is the
    issue.

  12. Re: Oops...

    > Hahaha...you're funny!

    And you're clutching at straws

    Microsoft people have also had the "wow" (wtf did we buy this) factor
    from Vista - read this (as posted on a Dell forum in the last few
    days)

    <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/bu...l?pagewanted=1
    &_r=2&ref=todayspaper>

    > The world runs on Microsoft desktop OS's including Vista.

    For now - yes - but I have to take issue with the concept that any
    significant proportion uses Vista. I don't know of ANYONE in ANY
    business that *continues* to use Vista after an initial (failed)
    attempt, only home users remain.

    > Sorry!

    It's ok, we forgive the trolling, now run along and play nice.

  13. Re: Oops...

    "Bill Baka" wrote in message
    > dennis@home wrote:
    >>

    >> "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    >>

    >>> In the near future, despite their past familiarity with Windows, people
    >>> are going to find that they can no longer buy Windows on a new computer
    >>> unless they buy Vista on high-end hardware.
    >>>

    >> Guess what will happen.. they will buy Vista on high end hardware, who
    >> knows it may even run the games they buy?
    >> The other likely scenario is that they will keep the XP machine they have
    >> as it probably does what they want.
    >> I didn't go out and buy Vista BTW, it came as an insurance replacement
    >> for a machine I broke. However vista is nowhere near as bad as none stop
    >> and some of the other trolls make out, its just different, not very
    >> different but enough for the trolls to have fun.
    >> I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    >> droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn
    >> better.

    > 2 things.
    >
    > SCO fired McBride today so the FUD campaign is over. Now maybe Linux can
    > really take off.
    >
    > You have no clue. All 20 of my electronics magazines are advising not to
    > rush out and buy Vista. That isn't my opinion, it's theirs.

    Its also mine as it happens. I wouldn't dream of rushing out and changing
    any software I am using that works. People that switch OS just because they
    can are asking for trouble.

    > Buy Vista pro for $300(?), then you have to spend $3,000 for a hopped up
    > gamer machine to get the same speed as XP.
    > What's so hard to understand?

    In your case the fact that most new machines run Vista fine.

    > Trolls my ass.

    Just have a look in the Vista groups and then tell me that nostop, alias and
    the others are not trolls.
    They are and that is a fact.

    > I can give you URLs for most of them if you want to doubt me.

    URLs for most of what?

    > You aren't winning this one.

    Winning what?
    If you think there is a competition here you had better explain it to me as
    I don't see one.

    > Bill Baka

  14. Re: Oops...

    "Bill Baka" wrote in message

    > Those above 100 or more like 120 are eager to experiment, and I think that
    > describes most Linux users. Sick of Microsoft's' prices, performance, and
    > arrogance, plus their refusal to release the internal workings to
    > developers to write programs for Windows, causing crashes.

    Most people with an IQ of 120 or above aren't that interested in other
    peoples irrational bias against M$ and are just as likely to experiment with
    Vista as with Linux or even a Mac.

    The ones with an IQ above 120 with an irrational hatred are probably just
    good at IQ tests and not a lot else.

  15. Re: Oops...

    "mimus" wrote in message
    news:bumdnVjPNtZ5uUranZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:12:05 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> vista is nowhere near as bad as none stop and some
    >> of the other trolls make out, its just different, not very different but
    >> enough for the trolls to have fun.
    >> I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    >> droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn
    >> better.

    > No-one planning on using their machine for serious computing, including
    > business computing, is going to find a machine acceptable which will
    > interrupt programs based on various and variously-wonky DRM algorithms,

    Unless their business needs the DRM of course.
    Or maybe you want to be able to use iPlayer to download the high res
    programs?
    DRM isn't bad because Linux doesn't support it.
    Given the recent losses of data by government bodies I expect DRM to become
    a requirement for data on systems in the UK which will put windows and Macs
    at an advantage to Linux. If someone did DRM for linux the users would patch
    it to bypass it so linux would not be a choice if it happens.

    > and the manufacturer of which retains the right according to it to enter
    > that system via the Internet and delete programs and files it disapproves
    > of or which again fail to pass various and variously-wonky DRM algorithms.

    Are you confusing DRM with WGA/activation?

    > Vista is not a serious microcomputer.
    >
    > It's a media-center and maybe game-machine.

    That's more than none stop will admit to so you are at least thinking.

    > --
    >
    > Kill. Kill! KILL!
    >
    > < comp.os.linux.misc
    >
    > http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

  16. Re: Oops...

    "jebblue" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:12:05 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt if its different enough to make windows users switch to Linux in
    >> droves, they are more likely to just stick with XP until they learn
    >> better.

    > If Linux is so uninteresting then why do you spend so much time in this
    > newsgroup.

    Because I use Linux isn't that obvious?!
    I don't use Ubuntu as it is a real pain to install on the machines I want to
    run linux on.
    The installer is the worst part of ubuntu IME.
    I have posted questions about how to fix it but the responses aren't exactly
    useful!

    Ask none stop and co why they spend so much time in the Vista groups when
    they, obviously, have never even tried vista.

  17. Re: Oops...

    "Colin Wilson" wrote
    in message news:MPG.22419823f5a76d5298a643@news.individual.ne t...
    >> If MS is so bad why do you linux clowns spend so much time bashing it in
    >> this ng?

    > ...because it's closed source, and we'd rather use linux if we can
    > make it work with unpuplished non-standard sloppy code. THAT is the
    > issue.

    Making rash assumptions there I see.. closed source but you know its sloppy
    and non standard.
    A lot of open source is sloppy as can be seen from the code ( I suppose you
    could fix it if you wanted to).

  18. Re: Oops...

    In <5GEBj.25768$J41.671@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net> Bill Baka:

    [Snip...]

    > the dumbest ones will toss it in the trash, and one I worked
    > for had the stockroom guy smashing good power supplies so nobody
    > could dumpster dive

    You have just got to be kidding me. I've worked for pointyhairs who tried
    to bury their stupid mistakes, but this is ridiculous, even for them.

    So much for "green" corporate concerns, and "repurposing" rhetoric.

    > One tidbit of good news is that idiot McBride is getting the boot from
    > SCO, finally, so maybe now that the FUD is over, linux can take off

    Not so fast.

    I've followed this SCO[XQ.PK] debacle, basically from gitgo (going on six
    years now), and it's just another wookie for the stock scam bagholders.

    This is just another gambit in the ongoing (5+ year) FUD campaign, but it
    is getting close to the Come To Jesus moment for McBride et al.

    Common practice for EOL scams like this is to single out a serial dumbass
    topdog like McBride (Google IKON McBride lawsuit) as a scapegoat. Do some
    PR for momos and other fools dabbling in penny stocks, float a ridiculous
    "interim bankruptcy" financing plan, and boot the dumbass.

    It's like a feeding frenzy for fools. Presto, $PROFIT.

    Darl's a wookie. The fun starts when IBM's Nazgul get their day in court.

    This has gone on OT long enough. Anyone really interested in the facts in
    this scam will find the Investor Village SCOXQ.PK board very helpful.

  19. Re: Oops...

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > kmbfha wrote:
    >

    >> "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...
    >>> "nopam" wrote in

    >>> Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up
    >>> the slack.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> pcbldrNinetyEight

    >> HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.
    >>
    >> The problem is customers Windows apps won't run on Linux so they take
    >> them
    >> back. The average person has no desire to tinker with a computer to make
    >> it work. They want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't they either
    >> take it back or put it in a corner.

    > Like they're doing in droves with Vista?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Absolutely. Vista suffers from poor planning and workmanship. You would
    think after working on it for so many years they could have come up with
    something better than that.

    Linux suffers the same fate but the reason Linux suffers is because there
    are so many distributions. Hell, Ubuntu even has five distros of their own
    (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu and Gobuntu). Everybody wants to do
    their own thing which is fine. Just don't expect the mainstreamers to jump
    on board because they want everything to work out of the box and everything
    to work exactly as it did on their old computer. They don't want to learn
    anything new. They just want to get to youtube. Having said that Vista
    suffers from the same type of scenario with the mainstreamers.

  20. Re: Oops...

    "Robin T Cox" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:06:35 +0000, kmbfha wrote:
    >
    >> "pcbldrNinetyEight" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9A5E7A2D1C92pcbldrNinetyEight@216.168.3.44 ...
    >>> "nopam" wrote in

    >>> Not a problem. I suspect some other enterprising retailer will take up
    >>> the slack.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> pcbldrNinetyEight

    >> HA. If Walmart can't sell them nobody else will.
    >>
    >> The problem is customers Windows apps won't run on Linux so they take
    >> them back. The average person has no desire to tinker with a computer to
    >> make it work. They want it to work out of the box. If it doesn't they
    >> either take it back or put it in a corner.

    > In the near future, despite their past familiarity with Windows, people
    > are going to find that they can no longer buy Windows on a new computer
    > unless they buy Vista on high-end hardware.

    That's a given. But when they buy something the mainstreamers are going to
    buy something with a familiar name. Windows.