Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10 - Ubuntu ; User said: > I was decent on Autocad, expert on Orcad, Pcad, > > Pads, Protel, Spice, and a few others. I was the go to engineer for > > analog ATE for about 15 years, since I was flat ...

  1. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    User said:
    > I was decent on Autocad, expert on Orcad, Pcad,
    > > Pads, Protel, Spice, and a few others. I was the go to engineer for
    > > analog ATE for about 15 years, since I was flat out the best in my
    > > field in all of Silicon Valley from 1983-2001. My IQ is still way
    > > over MENSA, enough that I went to a meeting and found a bunch of
    > > 132-140 types all claiming they were the smartest. The ultimate
    > > nerd club. There is a higher one but I hate to join things where
    > > meetings are almost mandatory and the place is a 45 mile drive. I
    > > usually don't mention IQ since it just starts a bunch of "yeah,
    > > right" responses. I can't kill file you, so why don't you just kill
    > > file me and save me the irritation?
    > > Basically I am telling you "Eat **** and die." for the good of all.
    > > Bill Baka

    > Very Impressive! And here I was beginning to think that you were a
    > truck driver with 90 wpm typing skills...

    And all this has to do with Ubuntu how?

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  2. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 08:44:43 -0500, User wrote:

    > Very Impressive! And here I was beginning to think that you were a truck
    > driver with 90 wpm typing skills...

    You mistook him for LG? ;-)

    --
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  3. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    User writes:

    > I was decent on Autocad, expert on Orcad, Pcad,
    >> Pads, Protel, Spice, and a few others. I was the go to engineer for
    >> analog ATE for about 15 years, since I was flat out the best in my
    >> field
    >> in all of Silicon Valley from 1983-2001. My IQ is still way over
    >> MENSA, enough that I went to a meeting and found a bunch of 132-140
    >> types all claiming they were the smartest. The ultimate nerd
    >> club. There is a higher one but I hate to join things where meetings
    >> are almost mandatory and the place is a 45 mile drive. I usually
    >> don't mention IQ since it just starts a bunch of "yeah, right"
    >> I can't kill file you, so why don't you just kill file me and save
    >> me the irritation?
    >> Basically I am telling you "Eat **** and die." for the good of all.
    >> Bill Baka

    > Very Impressive! And here I was beginning to think that you were a
    > truck driver with 90 wpm typing skills...

    I can't work out if he's a very good troll or simply a senile twit.

  4. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "Meat Plow" wrote:
    > I would suggest the Ubuntu forums at Launchpad;
    > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu ....

    Thanks for the link. I've tucked it away in my Opera
    Bookmarks.

    *TimDaniels*

  5. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "Bill Baka" wrote:
    > Heh. I graduated from high school in 1966 at 17. 2 weeks before
    > my 18th I got a letter from the draft board ordering me to go to
    > the draft office and register in person. If I had been drafted I
    > would have gone just in time to get killed in the Tet offensive in
    > 1968. A straight draft gets you 3 years and **** duty because you
    > didn't enlist like a real soldier.
    > I volunteered, which would have gotten me 2 years and better
    > treatment but it was still frigging Viet Nam. They even ran me
    > through the induction center physical and passed, but I aced the
    > IQ test, and a big black sergeant accused me of cheating because
    > no one had ever done that.
    > I laughed in his face and asked "Why would anybody cheat to get drafted.".
    > That totally pissed him off, but I think the test tops out at 132-135 and I
    > was at about 165-170 before my years of sex, drugs,
    > booze, rock and roll, and women. They never called me because
    > of 'bad attitude' probably because that sergeant told them I was a
    > wise ass and didn't respect authority. IQ does have some strange
    > advantages.

    That's funnier 'n $hit! The military has no tolerance for underlings
    who can run circles around their superiors - they're a threat to
    authority and to the entire system. I know where you'd be - you'd
    be on a radar site on a hill top, and you'd be hacking the radar to
    make it look like the incoming fire was coming from the CO's tent.
    Then they'd move you into headquarters for a desk job, and you'd
    hack the encryption equipment to make it look like LBJ was
    Kennedy' assassin. I know you guys...

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Ed Edelenbos illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Ed Edelenbos illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> "NoStop" wrote in message

    >>> Sorry... I can't understand why it matters what I use to post here.

    >> If you want my opinion, and you probably don't....
    >>
    >> You need to get in and use the OS you're asking questions about. This
    >> includes configuring the easy programs and posting to usenet,
    >> web-browsing and reading emails.
    >>
    >> When you've managed those easy tasks, then you will have a grounding
    >> with the OS.
    >>
    >> So yes. It does matter what you post here with. What you are telling
    >> us by using Outlook Express is that you are a Windows user with a
    >> passing interest in Ubuntu. At best a "part time". At worst, a troll.
    >>
    >> This *does* make a difference to the responses you receive. I
    >> apologise if I'm wide of the mark, but I'm just going off past
    >> experience in this very group.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>

    > I have a system I use to read emails. I don't plan to change that.

    It's not a problem for me at all. I was givin you the reasons as to
    why it matters to *some*

    > You boys need to get over yourselves...

    Hmmm. I wasn't giving you *my* reasons. I was offering an answer to
    your implied question.

    > Unlike some of you seem to exhibit, I'm
    > open to lots of stuff. Right tool for the right job and all that... It
    > must be tough to box yourself into a single choice.

    I usae multiple OS'es with multiple solutions for various tasks.
    You're preaching to the converted. However, I rarely post in here
    from other OS'es.

    > Thanks for the help...

    Anytime. Thanks for misinterpreting it.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  7. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "Moog" wrote in message

    > Anytime. Thanks for misinterpreting it.
    >
    > --
    > Moog

    Exactly the case. My apologies. I really do appreciate the advice and
    assistance.

    Ed

  8. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Jeff Glatt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>Moog
    >>by using Outlook Express is that you are a Windows user with a
    >>passing interest in Ubuntu. At best a "part time". At worst, a troll.
    >>This *does* make a difference to the responses you receive.

    > That's idiotic.

    Read my post again. These views aren't necessarily mine. They are
    evident in this newsgroup. I was offering the poster reasons as to
    why.

    > I use a Windows newsreader because that's what I started using,
    > what I have setup for reading newsgroups, and what I prefer. Nevertheless, as a
    > Linux developer, I probably know more about the operating system than a number
    > of people in this newsgroup.

    I really don't care. I was just offering reasons why someone would get
    less help whilst posting from Windows. It's not bloody rocket science.

    > Making such an inference is the essense of "Ubuntu fanboyism", and *that* does
    > make a difference to the responses *I* give to such people.

    Heh. Shut up. I already told you they weren't my views, but the views
    of this group and others like it.

    > Are you folks in some sort of competition with PCLinuxOS fanbois to see which
    > one of you can become the most insipidly dogmatic nutcases on the internet?
    > (I'm so glad I switched to Debian. It has so much more serious a distro
    > community than Ubuntu has).

    Good lord man. That molehill is starting to look like the size of a
    planet.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  9. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > This is ridiculous Moog. Does it count if someone posts using Forte
    > Agent which is a windows program running on Linux?
    >
    > People do post from work too where they use Windows. And they post in
    > asking here. The groups is to help beginners and new adopters and many
    > dual boot and stay with their main OS as they migrate slowly with the
    > new one.
    >
    > Cut people some slack.

    Hadron. What's wrong with you?

    I was just offering reasons as to why posting from OE is frowned upon.
    You know damn well I don't agree with them.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  10. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    In <63j487F26ih4pU3@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip...]

    > That molehill is starting to look like the size of a planet.

    These are same nimrods who can't understand those of us who are happy to
    use Gmail, but plonk anything Google Gropers (and M$ Outhouse) on sight.

  11. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Ed Edelenbos illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Anytime. Thanks for misinterpreting it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>

    > Exactly the case. My apologies. I really do appreciate the advice and
    > assistance.

    No worries Ed. Apologies for sounding harsh.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  12. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In <63j487F26ih4pU3@mid.individual.net> Moog:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> That molehill is starting to look like the size of a planet.

    > These are same nimrods who can't understand those of us who are happy to
    > use Gmail, but plonk anything Google Gropers (and M$ Outhouse) on sight.

    People are perfectly entitled to do whatever they want.

    They should, though, consider the implications. For instance, I've
    never shat on my neighbours door sill. However, there are times when I
    wanted to.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  13. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Bill Baka" wrote:
    >> Heh. I graduated from high school in 1966 at 17. 2 weeks before
    >> my 18th I got a letter from the draft board ordering me to go to
    >> the draft office and register in person. If I had been drafted I
    >> would have gone just in time to get killed in the Tet offensive in
    >> 1968. A straight draft gets you 3 years and **** duty because you
    >> didn't enlist like a real soldier.
    >> I volunteered, which would have gotten me 2 years and better
    >> treatment but it was still frigging Viet Nam. They even ran me
    >> through the induction center physical and passed, but I aced the
    >> IQ test, and a big black sergeant accused me of cheating because
    >> no one had ever done that.
    >> I laughed in his face and asked "Why would anybody cheat to get drafted.".
    >> That totally pissed him off, but I think the test tops out at 132-135 and I
    >> was at about 165-170 before my years of sex, drugs,
    >> booze, rock and roll, and women. They never called me because
    >> of 'bad attitude' probably because that sergeant told them I was a
    >> wise ass and didn't respect authority. IQ does have some strange
    >> advantages.

    > That's funnier 'n $hit! The military has no tolerance for underlings
    > who can run circles around their superiors - they're a threat to
    > authority and to the entire system. I know where you'd be - you'd
    > be on a radar site on a hill top, and you'd be hacking the radar to
    > make it look like the incoming fire was coming from the CO's tent.
    > Then they'd move you into headquarters for a desk job, and you'd
    > hack the encryption equipment to make it look like LBJ was
    > Kennedy' assassin. I know you guys...
    >

    > *TimDaniels*

    That's good. But. I started first grade at 4 and 1/2. When I got out at
    the end of Nam the idiots at Mirmar couldn't figure out how I got to
    California before I left Guam. Their chief had to make them let it go.
    caver1

  14. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "caver1" shared:
    > That's good. But. I started first grade at 4 and 1/2. When I got out at the
    > end of Nam the idiots at Mirmar couldn't figure out how I got to California
    > before I left Guam. Their chief had to make them let it go.
    > caver1

    :-) Guam and International Dateline:
    http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/au.htm
    They evidently go by Zulu Time.

    *TimDaniels*

  15. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    In <63j5d6F26ih4pU8@mid.individual.net> Moog:

    [Snip...]

    > They should, though, consider the implications

    IMO, the implications are much clearer (to me) when I base it on rational
    reasons (signal enhancement) instead of irrational emotions (they hate my
    newsreader, so they must hate me and I must hate them, too).

    I've said it before: I plonk to improve my signal to noise ratio. If that
    includes Google Gropers and M$ Outhousers, it's not personal. Anybody who
    takes it personal is wasting their time whining childishly about it.

    Same for vendors like Canon--it's about libre, not about gratis. Which is
    to say, it's more about freedom of information, less pinching pennies.

    It's crystal clear to me, and I don't understand all the ruckus about it.

  16. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Harold Stevens writes:

    > In <63j5d6F26ih4pU8@mid.individual.net> Moog:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> They should, though, consider the implications

    > IMO, the implications are much clearer (to me) when I base it on rational
    > reasons (signal enhancement) instead of irrational emotions (they hate my
    > newsreader, so they must hate me and I must hate them, too).
    >
    > I've said it before: I plonk to improve my signal to noise ratio. If that
    > includes Google Gropers and M$ Outhousers, it's not personal. Anybody who
    > takes it personal is wasting their time whining childishly about it.

    Of course, anyone that wasn't a complete ****wit like you would "plonk"
    based on WHAT people post and not HOW they post it or where they post it
    from. It's a one key press to killfile someone in any half decent
    newreader. You could even press it with the little thing poking out of
    your forehead.

    You're a two faced hypocrite.

    On one side you advocate "Open Software" on the other side you killfile
    people who choose to use google groups.

    You're a cretin Harold. And people like you do a disservice to OSS and
    Linux in general.

  17. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> This is ridiculous Moog. Does it count if someone posts using Forte
    >> Agent which is a windows program running on Linux?
    >>
    >> People do post from work too where they use Windows. And they post in
    >> asking here. The groups is to help beginners and new adopters and many
    >> dual boot and stay with their main OS as they migrate slowly with the
    >> new one.
    >>
    >> Cut people some slack.

    > Hadron. What's wrong with you?
    >
    > I was just offering reasons as to why posting from OE is frowned upon.
    > You know damn well I don't agree with them.

    It wasn't personal against you. The reason it is "frowned upon" is
    simple. The people who "frown upon it" are utter morons with a brain the
    size of a pea. Hypocrites the lot of them. Harold, Willy, Marti etc. All
    blinded fan boys who see themselves as some sort of l33t band because
    they use Linux.

  18. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> This is ridiculous Moog. Does it count if someone posts using Forte
    >>> Agent which is a windows program running on Linux?
    >>>
    >>> People do post from work too where they use Windows. And they post in
    >>> asking here. The groups is to help beginners and new adopters and many
    >>> dual boot and stay with their main OS as they migrate slowly with the
    >>> new one.
    >>>
    >>> Cut people some slack.

    >> Hadron. What's wrong with you?
    >>
    >> I was just offering reasons as to why posting from OE is frowned upon.
    >> You know damn well I don't agree with them.

    > It wasn't personal against you. The reason it is "frowned upon" is
    > simple. The people who "frown upon it" are utter morons with a brain the
    > size of a pea. Hypocrites the lot of them. Harold, Willy, Marti etc. All
    > blinded fan boys who see themselves as some sort of l33t band because
    > they use Linux.

    Actually. I perfectly understand why they do suh things. They want to
    improve the signal to noise ratio. That's fair enough, and they're
    perfectly entitled to do such things.

    Me. I have only recently employed the kill filter. It has made quite
    a difference in a couple of newsgroups I frequent.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"

  19. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Hadron. What's wrong with you?
    >>>
    >>> I was just offering reasons as to why posting from OE is frowned upon.
    >>> You know damn well I don't agree with them.

    >> It wasn't personal against you. The reason it is "frowned upon" is
    >> simple. The people who "frown upon it" are utter morons with a brain the
    >> size of a pea. Hypocrites the lot of them. Harold, Willy, Marti etc. All
    >> blinded fan boys who see themselves as some sort of l33t band because
    >> they use Linux.

    > Actually. I perfectly understand why they do suh things. They want to
    > improve the signal to noise ratio. That's fair enough, and they're
    > perfectly entitled to do such things.

    Once again : yes they are entitled to whatever they want. Including post
    from google groups and use OE. However anyone who isnt a hypocrite
    should killfile based on what the poster says, not what tools he uses
    for the job IMO.

    > Me. I have only recently employed the kill filter. It has made quite
    > a difference in a couple of newsgroups I frequent.

    I rarely use them as I don't mind a dust up. Only That arsehole Falconer is
    in for this group I think. AV3 is about to be.

  20. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Hadron wrote:

    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> It wasn't personal against you. The reason it is "frowned upon" is
    >>> simple. The people who "frown upon it" are utter morons with a brain the
    >>> size of a pea. Hypocrites the lot of them. Harold, Willy, Marti etc. All
    >>> blinded fan boys who see themselves as some sort of l33t band because
    >>> they use Linux.

    >> Actually. I perfectly understand why they do suh things. They want to
    >> improve the signal to noise ratio. That's fair enough, and they're
    >> perfectly entitled to do such things.

    > Once again : yes they are entitled to whatever they want. Including post
    > from google groups and use OE. However anyone who isnt a hypocrite
    > should killfile based on what the poster says, not what tools he uses
    > for the job IMO.

    Wrong. Anyone can killfile on any condition he sees fit. If someone thinks
    killfiling is needed for everyone using the letter "a" why do you object?

    It is *not* your choice to dictate the killfiling habits of people, "true
    linux advocate" Hadron Quark

    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Let it get in YOUR way. The problem for your problem.