Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10 - Ubuntu ; "NoStop" wrote in message news:fqv42112s7c@news3.newsguy.com... > someone who has no intention of migrating over to Ubuntu and is not > serious > about using an Open Source alternative to the one from the evil empire. > LOL... so it isn't ...

  1. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "NoStop" wrote in message

    > someone who has no intention of migrating over to Ubuntu and is not
    > serious
    > about using an Open Source alternative to the one from the evil empire.

    LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you? It's
    about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that makes me a
    troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I bet you use a VW bug
    as a moving van. LOL.

    Ed

  2. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:

    > "NoStop" wrote in message
    >
    >> someone who has no intention of migrating over to Ubuntu and is not
    >> serious
    >> about using an Open Source alternative to the one from the evil empire.
    >>

    > LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you?
    > It's
    > about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that makes me
    > troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I bet you use a VW
    > bug
    > as a moving van. LOL.
    >
    > Ed

    Bye bye.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  3. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Microsoft Astroturfer "Frank" wrote on behalf of big company:

    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >> "NoStop" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Then why this rush to more complications when you admittedly still
    >>> have a
    >>> bit more to learn about Ubuntu itself? Why not at least get into using
    >>> Ubuntu - and posting here from Ubuntu instead of Windoze - before
    >>> migrating
    >>> to a Ubuntu derivative? Just curious.

    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> Sorry... I can't understand why it matters what I use to post here.
    >>
    >> If it bugs you that much, maybe you'd do better to ignore me. I
    >> wonder if it is an OS or a religion for some of y'all. I appreciate
    >> the help with UbuntuStudio setup.
    >>
    >> Ed

    [Snip BS]

    *plonk*

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  4. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:31:35 -0800, NoStop wrote:

    > OK Ed, we'll make a deal. You continue to use your Windoze system and
    > continue to claim that it is the "right tool for the right job" when
    > posting to a Linux newsgroup, and I'll ignore any further requests for help

    With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in the first
    place. I'd have to search high and low to find another group as full of
    a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes as there are here in
    aolu. It really sickens me to see new users being treated in such a
    horrible manner.

  5. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "Ed Edelenbos" writes:

    > "NoStop" wrote in message
    >
    >> someone who has no intention of migrating over to Ubuntu and is not
    >> serious
    >> about using an Open Source alternative to the one from the evil empire.
    >>

    > LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you? It's
    > about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that makes
    > me a

    Thats how it is for a lot of loonies I am afraid.

  6. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in the first
    > place. I'd have to search high and low to find another group as full of
    > a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes as there are here in
    > aolu. It really sickens me to see new users being treated in such a
    > horrible manner.

    No, just pop over to rec.audio.tubes or rec.audio.pro to see how it is
    *really* done.

    Cheers

    Ian

  7. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Jeff Glatt wrote:
    >> Moog
    >> by using Outlook Express is that you are a Windows user with a
    >> passing interest in Ubuntu. At best a "part time". At worst, a troll.
    >> This *does* make a difference to the responses you receive.

    > That's idiotic. I use a Windows newsreader because that's what I started using,
    > what I have setup for reading newsgroups, and what I prefer. Nevertheless, as a
    > Linux developer, I probably know more about the operating system than a number
    > of people in this newsgroup.
    >
    > Making such an inference is the essense of "Ubuntu fanboyism", and *that* does
    > make a difference to the responses *I* give to such people.
    >
    > Are you folks in some sort of competition with PCLinuxOS fanbois to see which
    > one of you can become the most insipidly dogmatic nutcases on the internet?
    > (I'm so glad I switched to Debian. It has so much more serious a distro
    > community than Ubuntu has).

    That one I give you credit on since this newsgroup does get off into
    some strange areas. When I use windows (rarely now) I use Firefox and
    Thunderbird since they play the same and are much safer than IE or
    Outlook, or Exchange. I am playing around with Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, DOS
    (it still does some things I like), and Linspire to see which I like the
    best. I don't like XP since if I install too many programs it breaks
    from some DLL being corrupted or the registry getting crudded up, hence
    the Linux experimentation. I may even wind up using different flavors of
    Linux if one does something better than another.
    I am an E.E. (analog hardware Guru) so curiosity is my nature.
    Bill Baka

  8. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:31:35 -0800, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> OK Ed, we'll make a deal. You continue to use your Windoze system and
    >> continue to claim that it is the "right tool for the right job" when
    >> posting to a Linux newsgroup, and I'll ignore any further requests for
    >> help

    > With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in the first
    > place. I'd have to search high and low to find another group as full of
    > a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes as there are here in
    > aolu. It really sickens me to see new users being treated in such a
    > horrible manner.

    Oh is that so? I didn't see YOU helping him you pontificating asshole. I
    did, until he decides to play silly games. I'll step back and let YOU help
    him. I'm waiting.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  9. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
    > LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you?
    > It's about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that
    > makes me a troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I
    > bet you use a VW bug as a moving van. LOL.

    Forget this thread, Ed. The mindset of some of the posters in
    this newsgroup is that of "Love Linux or Leave". To them, if you're
    OS-agnostic, you're a Microsofty. Fortunately, there are lurkers
    who will share their knowledge regardless of your news client.

    *TimDaniels*

  10. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
    >> LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you?
    >> It's about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that
    >> makes me a troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I
    >> bet you use a VW bug as a moving van. LOL.

    > Forget this thread, Ed. The mindset of some of the posters in
    > this newsgroup is that of "Love Linux or Leave". To them, if you're
    > OS-agnostic, you're a Microsofty. Fortunately, there are lurkers
    > who will share their knowledge regardless of your news client.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I'm waiting Tim. Go for it. Actually help him with his question rather then
    pontificate about Microsofties and those of us that believe Microsoft is
    evil and Open Source is the alternative to that madness.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  11. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:45:54 -0800, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
    >> LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you?
    >> It's about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that
    >> makes me a troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I
    >> bet you use a VW bug as a moving van. LOL.

    > Forget this thread, Ed. The mindset of some of the posters in
    > this newsgroup is that of "Love Linux or Leave". To them, if you're
    > OS-agnostic, you're a Microsofty. Fortunately, there are lurkers
    > who will share their knowledge regardless of your news client.

    Just to expound on how idiotic some of the posters in aolu can
    be, I was labeled a Windows Troll simply because the character set in my
    linux news reader was set to Windows 1252. You are correct when you state
    that there are lurkers who actually want to help rather than intimidate
    and embarrass those new to linux however this news group is pretty much a
    joke. I would suggest the Ubuntu forums at Launchpad;
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu and to stay away from this group
    altogether. And to further prove my point, watch some of these poster's
    replies to my posts

  12. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:03:16 +0000, Ian Thompson-Bell wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in the first
    >> place. I'd have to search high and low to find another group as full of
    >> a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes as there are here in
    >> aolu. It really sickens me to see new users being treated in such a
    >> horrible manner.

    > No, just pop over to rec.audio.tubes or rec.audio.pro to see how it is
    > *really* done.

    I lurk in RAT and you are right, I sometimes wish I could choke a couple
    of those people like Phil Alison, Peter Wyeck etc...

  13. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> OK Ed, we'll make a deal. You continue to use your Windoze
    >> system and continue to claim that it is the "right tool for the
    >> right job" when posting to a Linux newsgroup, and I'll ignore
    >> any further requests for help

    > With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in
    > the first place. I'd have to search high and low to find another
    > group as full of a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes
    > as there are here in aolu. It really sickens me to see new users
    > being treated in such a horrible manner.

    No, there is a group that worries about such foolishness. Just
    plonk them as you uncover them, and the reading becomes relatively
    easy.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  14. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    >

    >> "NoStop" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> someone who has no intention of migrating over to Ubuntu and is not
    >>> serious
    >>> about using an Open Source alternative to the one from the evil empire.
    >>>

    >> LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you?
    >> It's
    >> about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that makes me
    >> troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I bet you use a VW
    >> bug
    >> as a moving van. LOL.
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Bye bye.
    >
    > Cheers.

    We should be so lucky.

    Ed

  15. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Ed Edelenbos wrote:
    > "Moog" wrote in message
    >> Ed Edelenbos illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> "NoStop" wrote in message

    >>> Sorry... I can't understand why it matters what I use to post here.

    >> If you want my opinion, and you probably don't....
    >>
    >> You need to get in and use the OS you're asking questions about. This
    >> includes configuring the easy programs and posting to usenet,
    >> web-browsing and reading emails.
    >>
    >> When you've managed those easy tasks, then you will have a grounding
    >> with the OS.
    >>
    >> So yes. It does matter what you post here with. What you are telling
    >> us by using Outlook Express is that you are a Windows user with a
    >> passing interest in Ubuntu. At best a "part time". At worst, a troll.
    >>
    >> This *does* make a difference to the responses you receive. I
    >> apologise if I'm wide of the mark, but I'm just going off past
    >> experience in this very group.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moog
    >>

    > I have a system I use to read emails. I don't plan to change that. You
    > boys need to get over yourselves... Unlike some of you seem to exhibit, I'm
    > open to lots of stuff. Right tool for the right job and all that... It
    > must be tough to box yourself into a single choice.
    >
    > Thanks for the help...
    >
    > Ed

    Have you installed Ubuntu yet? It will offer to import your XP stuff if
    you are dual booting with XP. Thunderbird is very similar to OE in both
    Ubuntu and Windows. Some of the differences are that T-Bird has an
    excellent junk mail filter and real time spell check. Not only that, you
    can add a calendar to it and other add ons. Most importantly, Microsoft
    will not be supporting OE anymore whereas T-Bird is getting ready to
    launch version 3.0.

    That said, for business email I still use Outlook 2003 running on XP
    Pro, but for personal emails and newsgroups, I use Ubuntu. I am a
    relatively newbie to Ubuntu but I found it isn't all that different from
    Windows as far as user friendly. The only thing I find myself using XP
    for nowadays is business emails and video games.

    Alias

  16. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> "Ed Edelenbos" wrote:
    >>> LOL... so it isn't about using a decent OS (Ubuntu, that is) for you?
    >>> It's about *not* using Microsoft. And I know already... saying that
    >>> makes me a troll. Whew... small minded people in a big world. I
    >>> bet you use a VW bug as a moving van. LOL.

    >> Forget this thread, Ed. The mindset of some of the posters in
    >> this newsgroup is that of "Love Linux or Leave". To them, if you're
    >> OS-agnostic, you're a Microsofty. Fortunately, there are lurkers
    >> who will share their knowledge regardless of your news client.
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>

    > I'm OK with that. I have to post HTML because that's what Thunderbird
    > mail is set up for,

    Not mine. You can easily configure T-Bird to post in plain text. In fact
    mine is configured to read YOUR posts in plain text.

    Alias

  17. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Alias wrote:
    > Have you installed Ubuntu yet? It will offer to import your XP stuff if
    > you are dual booting with XP. Thunderbird is very similar to OE in both
    > Ubuntu and Windows. Some of the differences are that T-Bird has an
    > excellent junk mail filter and real time spell check.

    Excellent in mail. I just leave it in training mode and it does very
    well on mail but the news filters are a joke. I just changed some
    settings and screwed up my fonts and it still does images and HTML.
    I am still training the spell checker since it misses obvious things
    like DLL, FTP and a whole lot of common computer terms. Maybe they just
    scanned in a Websters, which does not have the latest Internet or
    electronics jargon?

    Not only that, you
    > can add a calendar to it and other add ons. Most importantly, Microsoft
    > will not be supporting OE anymore whereas T-Bird is getting ready to
    > launch version 3.0.

    Is there a news filter upgrade? I tried hacking the filter file by
    copying the mail filter options to the news options and it barfed and
    re-wrote the filter file back to stock.

    > That said, for business email I still use Outlook 2003 running on XP
    > Pro, but for personal emails and newsgroups, I use Ubuntu. I am a
    > relatively newbie to Ubuntu but I found it isn't all that different from
    > Windows as far as user friendly. The only thing I find myself using XP
    > for nowadays is business emails and video games.

    If that were my case I would never use windows since I don't get into
    games. Never could. If I have spare time I will either run around the
    block or ride my bicycle about ten miles. Better use of time to stay fit
    and alert. Most computer/cubicle types never think about fitness until
    they have a heart attack or something. Stay healthy and alert.

    > Alias

    Bill Baka

  18. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK Ed, we'll make a deal. You continue to use your Windoze
    >>> system and continue to claim that it is the "right tool for the
    >>> right job" when posting to a Linux newsgroup, and I'll ignore
    >>> any further requests for help

    >> With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in
    >> the first place. I'd have to search high and low to find another
    >> group as full of a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes
    >> as there are here in aolu. It really sickens me to see new users
    >> being treated in such a horrible manner.

    > No, there is a group that worries about such foolishness. Just
    > plonk them as you uncover them, and the reading becomes relatively
    > easy.

    Funny,
    Ed shows Outlook Express and you show win98 when I hit ctrl-u to examine
    the full code.
    Mine didn't show the Os information from Firefox and Ubuntu.
    What's up with that?
    Bill Baka

  19. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    Bill Baka wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> With "help" like this, Ed might as well not even ask for it in
    >>> the first place. I'd have to search high and low to find another
    >>> group as full of a bunch of self-righteous, pontificating assholes
    >>> as there are here in aolu. It really sickens me to see new users
    >>> being treated in such a horrible manner.

    >> No, there is a group that worries about such foolishness. Just
    >> plonk them as you uncover them, and the reading becomes relatively
    >> easy.
    >>

    > Funny,
    > Ed shows Outlook Express and you show win98 when I hit ctrl-u to examine
    > the full code.
    > Mine didn't show the Os information from Firefox and Ubuntu.
    > What's up with that?
    > Bill Baka

    X11
    caver1

  20. Re: Switching from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntustudio 7.10

    I was decent on Autocad, expert on Orcad, Pcad,
    > Pads, Protel, Spice, and a few others. I was the go to engineer for
    > analog ATE for about 15 years, since I was flat out the best in my field
    > in all of Silicon Valley from 1983-2001. My IQ is still way over MENSA,
    > enough that I went to a meeting and found a bunch of 132-140 types all
    > claiming they were the smartest. The ultimate nerd club. There is a
    > higher one but I hate to join things where meetings are almost mandatory
    > and the place is a 45 mile drive. I usually don't mention IQ since it
    > just starts a bunch of "yeah, right" responses.
    > I can't kill file you, so why don't you just kill file me and save me
    > the irritation?
    > Basically I am telling you "Eat **** and die." for the good of all.
    > Bill Baka

    Very Impressive! And here I was beginning to think that you were a truck
    driver with 90 wpm typing skills...