switch to gdm - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on switch to gdm - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I recently installed the KDE desktop (via Synaptic) over regular GNOME Ubuntu, but I have decided I would like to stay with GNOME. But after installing KDE desktop, it made the kdm the default. How can I switch ...

  1. switch to gdm

    Hi all,

    I recently installed the KDE desktop (via Synaptic) over regular GNOME
    Ubuntu, but I have decided I would like to stay with GNOME. But after
    installing KDE desktop, it made the kdm the default. How can I switch back
    to gdm? I don't necessarily need to uninstall all of KDE, but I just need to
    make gdm the default.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: switch to gdm

    Daniel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently installed the KDE desktop (via Synaptic) over regular GNOME
    > Ubuntu, but I have decided I would like to stay with GNOME. But after
    > installing KDE desktop, it made the kdm the default. How can I switch back
    > to gdm? I don't necessarily need to uninstall all of KDE, but I just need to
    > make gdm the default.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Open a terminal and type
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

    Enter your password
    Then select gdm using your cursor keys.
    Tab to OK and you're back to gdm.

    You may need to also change your desktop session from the sessions
    menu of the log in screen.

    --
    Moog

    mashed potatoes"