Ubuntu on a Mac Problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on a Mac Problem - Ubuntu ; I tried to load Ubuntu 7.10 PPC version on an iMac. I used a CD with the installer. After I inserted the disc, I rebooted and held down the C key. I got what I imagine is the blue Ubuntu ...

  1. Ubuntu on a Mac Problem

    I tried to load Ubuntu 7.10 PPC version on an iMac. I used a CD with the
    installer. After I inserted the disc, I rebooted and held down the C key.

    I got what I imagine is the blue Ubuntu folder in place of the Mac icon
    during boot. The disk ran for a while, the blue folder disappeared and
    the system booted in 9.2.1.

    I understand that this version of Ubuntu is supposed to work only on "New
    World" Macs. Isn't an iMac a "New World" Mac?

    When I tried to install on an "Old World" Mac, I never got the blue
    folder; it just booted as usual.

    Any suggestions other than buy a new computer?

    Al

  2. Re: Ubuntu on a Mac Problem

    Al wrote:
    > I tried to load Ubuntu 7.10 PPC version on an iMac. I used a CD with the
    > installer. After I inserted the disc, I rebooted and held down the C key.
    >
    > I got what I imagine is the blue Ubuntu folder in place of the Mac icon
    > during boot. The disk ran for a while, the blue folder disappeared and
    > the system booted in 9.2.1.
    >
    > I understand that this version of Ubuntu is supposed to work only on "New
    > World" Macs. Isn't an iMac a "New World" Mac?
    >
    > When I tried to install on an "Old World" Mac, I never got the blue
    > folder; it just booted as usual.
    >
    > Any suggestions other than buy a new computer?

    A PPC version of Ubuntu is no longer part of Ubuntu's official
    repertory. There is a privately provided PPC version available. Googling
    for "ubuntu PPC" got me the following address for 7.10:
    . There are
    42,099 other possibilities left in that Googling.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  3. Re: Ubuntu on a Mac Problem

    Al wrote:
    > I tried to load Ubuntu 7.10 PPC version on an iMac. I used a CD with the
    > installer. After I inserted the disc, I rebooted and held down the C key.
    >
    > I got what I imagine is the blue Ubuntu folder in place of the Mac icon
    > during boot. The disk ran for a while, the blue folder disappeared and
    > the system booted in 9.2.1.
    >
    > I understand that this version of Ubuntu is supposed to work only on "New
    > World" Macs. Isn't an iMac a "New World" Mac?
    >
    > When I tried to install on an "Old World" Mac, I never got the blue
    > folder; it just booted as usual.
    >
    > Any suggestions other than buy a new computer?
    >
    > Al

    I installed Xubuntu (6.04) on a couple of iMacs. I tried BSD but I
    couldn't get it to go on. A few things of note... I had to let the
    machine do its own thing with formatting the hard drive. It's not like a
    PC where you can *easily* specify how to partition the drive. After
    installation, some programs ceased to function when demonstrating the
    machines a few days later in a different location with no net access. A
    three button mouse is really necessary (the same as it is on the PC) but
    it becomes flaky on the iMac. When it works, it works very well. It's
    faster than OS X and more capable than System 9.2 on the same machine.
    It's also much faster than PCs with the same numbers (clock speed and
    RAM). Finally upgrading individual packages is fine. Updating the system
    breaks the install.

    Later
    Mike

  4. Re: Ubuntu on a Mac Problem

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:32:48 -0500, AV3 wrote:

    > Al wrote:
    >> I tried to load Ubuntu 7.10 PPC version on an iMac. I used a CD with
    >> the installer. After I inserted the disc, I rebooted and held down the
    >> C key.
    >>
    >> I got what I imagine is the blue Ubuntu folder in place of the Mac icon
    >> during boot. The disk ran for a while, the blue folder disappeared and
    >> the system booted in 9.2.1.
    >>
    >> I understand that this version of Ubuntu is supposed to work only on
    >> "New World" Macs. Isn't an iMac a "New World" Mac?
    >>
    >> When I tried to install on an "Old World" Mac, I never got the blue
    >> folder; it just booted as usual.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions other than buy a new computer?
    >>

    > A PPC version of Ubuntu is no longer part of Ubuntu's official
    > repertory. There is a privately provided PPC version available. Googling
    > for "ubuntu PPC" got me the following address for 7.10:
    > . There are
    > 42,099 other possibilities left in that Googling.

    Yup, that's what I used. I have the old 5.10 version. I suppose I'll try
    that.

    Al

  5. Re: Ubuntu on a Mac Problem

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:57:53 +0000, Al wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:32:48 -0500, AV3 wrote:
    >
    >> Al wrote:
    >>> I tried to load Ubuntu 7.10 PPC version on an iMac. I used a CD with
    >>> the installer. After I inserted the disc, I rebooted and held down the
    >>> C key.
    >>>
    >>> I got what I imagine is the blue Ubuntu folder in place of the Mac
    >>> icon during boot. The disk ran for a while, the blue folder
    >>> disappeared and the system booted in 9.2.1.
    >>>
    >>> I understand that this version of Ubuntu is supposed to work only on
    >>> "New World" Macs. Isn't an iMac a "New World" Mac?
    >>>
    >>> When I tried to install on an "Old World" Mac, I never got the blue
    >>> folder; it just booted as usual.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions other than buy a new computer?
    >>>

    >> A PPC version of Ubuntu is no longer part of Ubuntu's official
    >> repertory. There is a privately provided PPC version available.
    >> Googling for "ubuntu PPC" got me the following address for 7.10:
    >> . There are
    >> 42,099 other possibilities left in that Googling.

    > Yup, that's what I used. I have the old 5.10 version. I suppose I'll try
    > that.
    >
    > Al

    Yup, 5.10 worked.

    Al